Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Swing Parade Of 1946

Offline archiezappa

I just recently purchased "Swing Parade" on DVD.  This has been released by Legend Films.  I must say that I was very impressed with the presentation.  It features the film remastered.  It's presented in black & white and in color.  It looks and sounds really great.  It has some great bonus features, too:  Audio rifftrax by Mike Nelson (Mystery Science Theater 3000), Phoney Cronies (Columbia short), Souper Man (3 Stooges cartoon w/live action wraparound), episode of My Little Margie (starring Gale Storm, who also stars in Swing Parade), plus a few other clips, trailers, etc.  Overall a great treatment of the film.

Well, I've said all that to say this.  Why can't Legend Films do the same thing with other movies?  I'd like to see them give this same treatment to the following movies:  Turn Back The Clock, Myrt And Marge, Fugitive Lovers, Hollywood Party, The Captain Hates The Sea, Start Cheering, Time Out For Rhythm, My Sister Eileen, Rockin' In The Rockies.  I think it would be well worth it, if they would do this.  Release each film individually and do the same thing with each one that they did with Swing Parade.  Especially the Rifftrax.  Man, that was so funny! 

I guess the biggest thing would be licensing.  What do you think?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Why can't Legend Films do the same thing with other movies?  I'd like to see them give this same treatment to the following movies:  Turn Back The Clock, Myrt And Marge, Fugitive Lovers, Hollywood Party, The Captain Hates The Sea, Start Cheering, Time Out For Rhythm, My Sister Eileen, Rockin' In The Rockies.  I think it would be well worth it, if they would do this.  Release each film individually and do the same thing with each one that they did with Swing Parade.  Especially the Rifftrax.  Man, that was so funny! 

I guess the biggest thing would be licensing.

Legend Films markets public domain material. They do not license.

Offline archiezappa

That's too bad.  They did such a great job.  Maybe some of these other studios could take some lessons from them.  Like Universal.  Universal owns the rights to one Three Stooges movie "Myrt And Marge."  Why haven't they released it?  I think it would be cool if they remastered it and released it on DVD.  Some of the bonus features could include maybe a Woody Woodpecker cartoon, a couple of trailers for Abbott & Costello movies, etc.  I wonder what it would take to get Universal to release such a DVD.

Offline Justin T

That's too bad.  They did such a great job.  Maybe some of these other studios could take some lessons from them.  Like Universal.  Universal owns the rights to one Three Stooges movie "Myrt And Marge."  Why haven't they released it?  I think it would be cool if they remastered it and released it on DVD.  Some of the bonus features could include maybe a Woody Woodpecker cartoon, a couple of trailers for Abbott & Costello movies, etc.  I wonder what it would take to get Universal to release such a DVD.

I've been asking the same question myself ever since I bought a VHS copy of Myrt and Marge on E-bay last summer.

Maybe Universal doesnt think it would be worth the effort to restore it and it not be a seller, only die hard Stooge fans would
buy the movie. But they could make up for it by marketing it as a "lost" Stooge movie since its never been on video before
and isnt shown on cable very often compared to other Stooge movies.

Any other theories anyone?

Maybe if enough people write to Universal asking them to put Myrt and Marge on DVD it could happen, but I dont know...
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

I've been asking the same question myself ever since I bought a VHS copy of Myrt and Marge on E-bay last summer.

Maybe Universal doesnt think it would be worth the effort to restore it and it not be a seller, only die hard Stooge fans would
buy the movie. But they could make up for it by marketing it as a "lost" Stooge movie since its never been on video before
and isnt shown on cable very often compared to other Stooge movies.

Any other theories anyone?

Maybe if enough people write to Universal asking them to put Myrt and Marge on DVD it could happen, but I dont know...
Problem is, Universal isn't into their older film libraries.. and they own a lot of the Paramount library from that time, too.. when Warner Bros released Gold Raiders/Meet the Baron, they also put out two Abbott & Costello and two Laurel & Hardy films that they own the rights to - that's probably the only reason we saw that released.

If Universal were able to theme it with something, maybe, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a shame. Thanks again for that copy, Justin. I've watched it multiple times already.  ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Justin T

Problem is, Universal isn't into their older film libraries.. and they own a lot of the Paramount library from that time, too.. when Warner Bros released Gold Raiders/Meet the Baron, they also put out two Abbott & Costello and two Laurel & Hardy films that they own the rights to - that's probably the only reason we saw that released.

If Universal were able to theme it with something, maybe, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a shame. Thanks again for that copy, Justin. I've watched it multiple times already.  ;D

Your very welcome Loco, glad I could do that for you.  ;D
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

Well, there is a movie they could put it with, but I don't think it will ever see the light of day, either.  It's called "It Ain't Hay."  It stars Abbott & Costello and features Shemp Howard.  But there is some problem with the estate of the writer of the film and that's keeping it from coming out on DVD.  If it did come out, it would make a great double feature:  It Ain't Hay / Myrt And Marge.  They could issue it as Classic Comedy Teams:  Abbott & Costello and The Three Stooges.

Offline FineBari3

Very strange you mention Swing Parade.....I was talking to my friend Rich Finegan (who needs to get on this board, BTW), and I mentioned I never saw it before, but I knew I had it on some DVD set. 

I sat down to watch it, and really liked it, and couldn't believe that I knew that same clip of Louis Jordan from the History of Rock and Roll series.

Right after his bit, the disc hesitated, which usually indicates the mid point, but it just froze. I cleaned it, changed disc spots in the changer, blah blah...I can't get it to play.

I wonder what else happens?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson