Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What film best sums up the Stooges?

Offline metaldams

Just like the title asks.  It doesn't have to be your favorite short, just the film you think best states what The Three Stooges are about, and most importantly, WHY.  Use any criteria you want, just make sure it's a Stooge film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline busybuddy

Therre's already been a topic just like this that I started a few months ago. Try to search for a topic called "What Do You Think? #2" because I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. :-\
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline JazzBill

I think the film "Dizzy Doctors" describes what the Stooges were about. Some things are better left alone. While they are in their bed at home, they are harmless to society. But as soon as they get forced out into the outside world, all hell breaks loose. At the end of the short, when you see them jump thru the window and go back to bed, you know the outside world is once again safe.   (I see your post  busybuddy, but I type like shit, I went thru the trouble to type this so I'm posting it.)  ;D
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Therre's already been a topic just like this that I started a few months ago. Try to search for a topic called "What Do You Think? #2" because I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. :-\

Hmmm, thanks for pointing that thread out.  They are somewhat similar questions, I admit, but not exactly alike.  I got the impression you were asking for the "classic" Stooge short, and that got answers like VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY because of "Swingin' the Alphabet."  Fine answer for that question, but I'm trying to dig into comic style, and I thought JazzBill's answer was beautiful.  Still, you're kind of right, somewhat similar questions.  We'll see where this thread goes, and if the answers seem kind of sameish or nobody's responding, I'll moderate it properly.

Admittedly, it does get difficult starting intelligent new Stooge topics when there are aready so many threads, which is why I think people jump for threads talking about release dates for DVD's and what not.  Release dates of DVD's are new information.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I would have to say "Cactus Makes Perfect."  This short has everything going for it.  Curly is the third stooge.  The Stooges are brothers, who go out to seek their fortune in the real world.  They meet up with villains who take them for their money.  They battle two other bad guys out west.  They end up finding gold.  They are absolutely at the top of their game in this short, too.  Definitely one of their best.  It's in my top 5 favorites of their shorts.  However, this one tends to get overlooked as one of their best.

Offline curlysdame

Hoi Polloi.

I agree.  But for me, it's a tie between 'Hoi Polloi' and 'A Plumbing We Will Go'
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline FineBari3

I have heard that with TV shows, they usually reach their peak at the third year. Has anybody else ever heard of this?  I have applied this theory to some of the shows I watch that were long-running (Simpsons, MASH, All in the Family), and it seems to hold up.

If the Stooges could be compared to a TV show, then according to this theory, their best work would have been done in the year 1936.  Some of the shorts made in this year are A Pain in the Pullman, Slippery Silks, Grips, Grunts, and Groans, and Dizzy Doctors.

I think this theory can be applied to the Stooges, and even though I am a Shemp gal, Curly is the best and they were there best with him, and the writing and production levels were at the top as well.

OK...discuss. 
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

stooged and confused

FINEBARI3 writes: I think this theory can be applied to the Stooges, and even though I am a Shemp gal, Curly is the best and they were there best with him, and the writing and production levels were at the top as well.

OK...discuss. 
[/quote]

I have to disagree here. There were classic Curly shorts and classic Shemp as well. There were weak Curly shorts and weak Shemp effots.

In my opinion, when Shemp wasn't forced to remake old films and the shooting schedules weren't cut back, some of his films are BETTER in writing and production quality than those in the Curly cannon. "Squareheads Of The Round Table", "Dopey Dicks", "Three Arabian Nuts", "Fuelin' Around", "Brideless Groom", "Hot Scots" and "Crime On Their Hands" are a few of the stellar Shemp titles that were made far beyond the three year mark for the Stooges as a team. View these again if you need to be refreshed of just how funny the Stooges could be without having to rely mainly on the slapstick/cartoon style violence. There are great one liners, solid story lines and stellar production values!

The defining film of the Curly era is a toss up between "Hoi Polloi"(solid story, lots of slapstick and clever gags) and "Boobs In Arms" (classic plotline, great gags, clever dialogue and it didn't rely on the slapstick for the bulk of the laughs). For Shemp, it's "Squareheads" (an airtight script, clever gags, stellar pacing and all with nominal slapstick violence)or "A Snitch In Time" (one of the more slapsticky violent shorts in all of Stoogedom but damn if it doesn't work. It's like watching a Road Runner cartoon on steriods!)

Offline Hammond Eggar

For my money it would have to be An Ache in Every Stake.  This short has all the important Stooges elements.  For example, the sight gags are priceless.  This includes everything from the huge staircase to Curly's head frozen in ice.  This short also includes some of the better-known Stooge gags such as the ice-shaving bit, as well as the dancing-with-a-spring and turkey-stuffing routines.  The Stooges are at the top of their game in this classic.  Plus, aside from Punchy Cowpunchers, were else do you get to see this many top-notch Stooge supporting players in one short?  Of course, these include the likes of Bud Jamison, Vernon Dent, Bess Flowers, Symona Boniface and Gino Corado.  This short certainly has enough going for it to be in the running for the title of 'most definitive', or 'best representitive', short. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

In my opinion, when Shemp wasn't forced to remake old films and the shooting schedules weren't cut back, some of his films are BETTER in writing and production quality than those in the Curly cannon. "Squareheads Of The Round Table", "Dopey Dicks", "Three Arabian Nuts", "Fuelin' Around", "Brideless Groom", "Hot Scots" and "Crime On Their Hands" are a few of the stellar Shemp titles that were made far beyond the three year mark for the Stooges as a team. View these again if you need to be refreshed of just how funny the Stooges could be without having to rely mainly on the slapstick/cartoon style violence. There are great one liners, solid story lines and stellar production values!

The defining film of the Curly era is a toss up between "Hoi Polloi"(solid story, lots of slapstick and clever gags) and "Boobs In Arms" (classic plotline, great gags, clever dialogue and it didn't rely on the slapstick for the bulk of the laughs). For Shemp, it's "Squareheads" (an airtight script, clever gags, stellar pacing and all with nominal slapstick violence)or "A Snitch In Time" (one of the more slapsticky violent shorts in all of Stoogedom but damn if it doesn't work. It's like watching a Road Runner cartoon on steriods!)

I agree with much of what you said here.  I'd like to put in a plug for the Shemp classic, Studio Stoops.  It, too, relied heavily on verbal and sight gags, and less on the slapastick violence that defined the Stooges career.  It is by far, one of the funniest shorts in Stooge history.  I have it in my top 5, just behind An Ache in Every Stake and Three Little Beers.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Gentlemen:

If it is all right I would like to put in my responses to this topic.  My favourite Three Stooges shorts are both by Shemp one Maliace In The Palace.  My reason, I liked the part where Vernon Dent said I am the great Hassen Ben Sober and Shemp responds to him I have had a few too many myself and the kitchen scene where they leave you thinking that Larry is really roasting the dog and cat.

Plus I also liked Squareheads Of The Roundtable where Shemp, Larry, Moe and Jacques are outside of Elaine's window serenading her and the dance scene in their steppons make a distraction so Elaine can get away and rescue Cedric.

Thank you very much gentlemen for letting me state my opinion here.

In closing please have yourselves a great and poifect week upcoming.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges] 

Offline archiezappa

I think that the best film that sums up the shorts with Joe Besser is "Flying Saucer Daffy."  In this short, it's basically Moe & Larry vs. Joe.  This configuration shows how much Joe doesn't fit in with the other Stooges.  Joe was a bridge Stooge.  A team member to get them by (and keep the number 3) until they got someone good (i.e. Joe DeRita).  Don't get me wrong.  I like Joe Besser.  He was funny.  But Joe DeRita is, obviously, the better and more natural choice as a Stooge, in my opinion.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
My pick for which film best sums up a Stooge comedy is "Who Done It"

This film has everything we all love in a short, fast pace, nonstop slapstick and gags and there is not a dull moment in the whole short (in my opinion).
Great co-stars with the always delightful Christine McIntyre (the poison drink routine with Shemp is classic) And Emil Sitka (where he tumbles out of the closet with that expression all white and ghostly)

Moe and Larry with the running to get away from "Handsome Harold" (aka The Goon) is wonderful as well. There are many more great bits on this short as well the ending bit with the lights off  (Here I am Moe, whoa, whoa)  (Shemp, Are you ok) all together make a great Stooge short, filled with all the ingredients (Powdered Bacon?) perhaps not but everything a Stooge fan could want and be entertained for 20 odd minutes is here to enjoy over and over again.

Robin

Offline archiezappa

"Who Done It" is great.  It's one of the best with Shemp.  I think it was one of the scripts that was originally written for Curly.  I also think that's why it's great.  You could see how the Stooges could adapt the script to fit their current lineup with Shemp, incorporating Shemp's humor into the script.  Great film!