Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 84939

Offline metaldams

Offline metaldams

Fuck!  1st and 2nd, 1 out, and the mashers are up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

YES!!!!  Please get a walk off, now.  I can't stand another 5 hour game.  No Timlin.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
YES!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Justin T

I gotta give Boston credit, their not giving up for sure. What a game.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Even if Tampa wins this series, which unfortunately they probably will, the fact Tampa blew a 7 run lead like this is a good sign for Philadelphia.  But fuck that, please, get the walk off Drew.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline Justin T

Damn, Tampa blew a 7 run lead and lost in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs.
Drew was pretty clutch there.

Back to Tampa for Game 6 now.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

This season was literally dead to me, and every other Red sox fan, don't lie.  We still have a hill to climb, but wow, what momentum!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I can't even think straight right now. The second biggest comeback in postseason history. You're going to have to put bullets in their heads to kill them.

At the very least we finally have a killer playoff series this year.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I have that same satisfied/woozy feeling I get after great sex.  I need gin.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Damn!!!! I missed it. I went to bed in the seventh inning because I thought it was all but over. Must have been one hell of a comeback.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Stooges#1

This is my first venture in this thread. First up good luck to anyone who still has a team in the playoffs.

This is my situation i have loved Baseball for about 10 years but as im from Australia i havent actually got a team. I like watching the sport, following the matches, standings, playoffs, world series but i have never actually supported a club. So any suggestions on who i should start supporting? I'll determine from any answers i may get.  [cool]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This is my first venture in this thread. First up good luck to anyone who still has a team in the playoffs.

This is my situation i have loved Baseball for about 10 years but as im from Australia i havent actually got a team. I like watching the sport, following the matches, standings, playoffs, world series but i have never actually supported a club. So any suggestions on who i should start supporting? I'll determine from any answers i may get.  [cool]

Well since baseball has it's origins in the US you'll have to use the American terminology. They are "games" not "matches" (in the US "matches" is usually used for stuff like boxing, wrestling, MMA etc), and more often than not the term "team" is used instead of "club". :P

As for which team to root for, you should make that decision on your own. The most popular team of the ones remaining is the Red Sox, but you do risk being called a "bandwagon jumper" (someone who roots for a team solely because they are winners). The Washington Nationals can use the support, and no one will call you a bandwagon jumper.

Offline metaldams

Tampa Bay Rays for sure.  One of your own countrymen, Grant Balfour, gave up four runs in 2/3 of an inning last night, and is therefore a hero in my eyes.

All kidding aside, he's the only Australian ball player I can think of.  There may be more, but I'll have to look that up.  Last night aside, he's usually a good pitcher, if a bit of a nutcase.

Edit:  Here's a link for a list of Aussie ballplayers, all-time.  Admittedly not a distinguished list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_from_Australia_in_Major_League_Baseball
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

Well since baseball has it's origins in the US you'll have to use the American terminology. They are "games" not "matches" (in the US "matches" is usually used for stuff like boxing, wrestling, MMA etc), and more often than not the term "team" is used instead of "club". :P

As for which team to root for, you should make that decision on your own. The most popular team of the ones remaining is the Red Sox, but you do risk being called a "bandwagon jumper" (someone who roots for a team solely because they are winners). The Washington Nationals can use the support, and no one will call you a bandwagon jumper.

I know exactly what you mean about jumping on the bandwagon and with my terminology i hope i havent ruined decades of tradition.  :o

My use of "matches" instead of "games" wasnt smart at all considering i've heard the song 'Take Me Out to the Ball' Game quite a number of times.

I'll probably choose between the Nationals or metaldams suggestion, Rays. My great grandfather was born in Chicago and we have relatives living their currently, so what about the Cubs? The White Sox won the world series recently so they're not an option.

Offline JazzBill

This season was literally dead to me, and every other Red sox fan, don't lie.  We still have a hill to climb, but wow, what momentum!
Not only is it a big momentum boost for your Red Sox, but can you imagine what a let down it was for Tampa. That has to really shake up your confidence. Up 7 runs in the 7th inning, I would imagine the locker room was set up for the big celebration. I bet it was a mad scamble to get the champagne and stuff out of there.  [doh]

Offline metaldams

I'll probably choose between the Nationals or metaldams suggestion, Rays. My great grandfather was born in Chicago and we have relatives living their currently, so what about the Cubs? The White Sox won the world series recently so they're not an option.

I was joking about the Rays unless you genuinely want to support one of your countrymen in Balfour, but the Cubs would be a good choice.  They haven't won in 100 years, but they have dedicated fans and a deep tradition. If they ever do win, the feeling would be awesome.

The Red Sox may be a "frontrunner" team, but what most non-Sox forget is that before 2004, there was an 86 year drought without a championship.  This good run we're on's a bit overdue.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Not only is it a big momentum boost for your Red Sox, but can you imagine what a let down it was for Tampa. That has to really shake up your confidence. Up 7 runs in the 7th inning, I would imagine the locker room was set up for the big celebration. I bet it was a mad scamble to get the champagne and stuff out of there.  [doh]

No doubt this has to be a huge let down for Tampa Bay.  Still, if Beckett has nothing 'cause of this injury and Shields is Shields, the Sox will have a tough time winning.  Hopefully Beckett can pull a game 6 the way Schilling did in '04 with the bloody sock.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

I was joking about the Rays unless you genuinely want to support one of your countrymen in Balfour, but the Cubs would be a good choice.  They haven't won in 100 years, but they have dedicated fans and a deep tradition. If they ever do win, the feeling would be awesome.

The Red Sox may be a "frontrunner" team, but what most non-Sox forget is that before 2004, there was an 86 year drought without a championship.  This good run we're on's a bit overdue.

I've made my choice Cubs it is.  ;) I hope Balfour is doing good things with the Rays but him being Australian wouldnt be enough to support them, i know the Rays are a fairly new team and this was their first winning season.

Part of the reason i support the Chicago Bulls in Basketball is because i have family in Chicago as i've said so the Cubs are a good choice in Baseball and besides i enjoy supporting the underdog.  [cool]

It will take me awhile to study the game, the teams etc before i come on this thread and start posting because all i really get to see is what is telecasted on pay-tv which isnt much. It isnt as if i can go to the stadiums.

I knew about that 86 year drought, and the next season the Sox won the world series after an 88 year drought. So to yourself, and to any other fans of teams still involved in the playoffs good luck and i hope to be posting about Baseball (and not make a fool of myself) next season.

Offline JazzBill

I've made my choice Cubs it is.  ;)
There used to be three teams that couldn't find the promised land for decades and decades. Finally the Red Sox, and my White Sox finally made it. There's only a handfull of people alive today that were around when the Cubs won their last World Series. Good Luck !

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There used to be three teams that couldn't find the promised land for decades and decades. Finally the Red Sox, and my White Sox finally made it. There's only a handfull of people alive today that were around when the Cubs won their last World Series. Good Luck !

I would say the Giants and Indians have replaced both Sox teams. The Indians have gone 60 years with a title and the Giants have 54, not having won since before they moved out west.

Offline metaldams

Bellho......I mean, Varitek!  3 - 2
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I was a complete nervous wreck all through that game...all I could was sit balled up in front of the set. What a performance from Beckett knowing he is injured and what a performance from the bullpen. My nerves were completely shot all day and I get to go through it again tomorrow.

A huge jeer to TBS for the technical difficulties in such an important game. I was almost wishing for FOX.

Offline metaldams

I was a complete nervous wreck all through that game...all I could was sit balled up in front of the set. What a performance from Beckett knowing he is injured and what a performance from the bullpen. My nerves were completely shot all day and I get to go through it again tomorrow.

A huge jeer to TBS for the technical difficulties in such an important game. I was almost wishing for FOX.

The only solace I get from TBS is all these Brooke Shields Volkswagon commercials.  She's still hot.

Right now I'm a hyper ball of energy, and I will be a bundle of nerves tomorrow.  I hope Lester's licking his chops and I hope Garza has hired a pooper scooper man to follow him around tomorrow.  Major props to Beckett tonight, who had absolutely nothing but guts and heart and won anyway.
- Doug Sarnecky