The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 84938

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Officially in the Playoffs:
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (AL West Champions)
Chicago Cubs (NL Central Champions)
Tampa Bay Rays (AL East Champions)
Boston Red Sox (AL Wild Card)
Los Angeles Dodgers (NL West Champions)
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ( NL EAST CHAMPIONS)

Tie-Breaking Scenarios:
* Milwaukee Brewers and New York Mets are tied for NL Wild card. If the two teams finish the season tied they will play a one-game tie-breaker playoff at Shea Stadium on Monday.
* Minnesota Twins lead the AL Central by 1/2 game over Chicago White Sox. If Twins win and White Sox lose, Twins win the Central. If both win, both lose, or White Sox win and Twins lose then Chicago must play a make-up game against the Detroit Tigers at US Cellular Field on Monday at 2:05pm EST. If the two teams are tied after the CHI/DET make-up game then the White Sox and Twins will play a one-game tie-breaker playoff on Tuesday at US Cellular Field.

Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
Texas Rangers
Detroit Tigers
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies
Toronto Blue Jays
Cleveland Indians
St. Louis Cardinals
New York Yankees
Florida Marlins
Arizona Diamondbacks
Houston Astros

New teams in all caps
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just wanted to point everyone to an excellent "year in review" article by Jayson Stark at espn.com which features (among other things) the best quotes from the season, including this gem:

From Ralph Nader, after he'd been told by Washington Post editors that the lack of coverage of his presidential campaign was because he had no chance of winning:

"Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3611226
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Lefty

Now that my beloved (ha, ha) Phillies are in the playoffs, the best scenario would be for the Mets to be rained out today, make it up tomorrow and do the same as the Brewers do today, then play each other Tuesday and have Milwaukee win in 28 innings.  Then the Phillies can open up against the True Blue Brew Crew at 3:00 Wednesday.  Nah, those bubbleheads at MLB will give the Phillies the 10:00 game.  Regardless of when the Phillies play, I just want them to win the last game.

Offline metaldams

I just wanted to point everyone to an excellent "year in review" article by Jayson Stark at espn.com which features (among other things) the best quotes from the season, including this gem:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3611226

Yeah, I read that article, and the Nader quote got to me the most to.

Some people love him, and some hate him, but with Ozzie Guillen, you can put me in the former group.

Ozzie Guillen Quotes of the Year

• Second prize -- On his second-favorite Chicago ballpark, Wrigley Field:

AP Photo/M. Spencer Green
"You are going to take batting practice, and the rats look bigger than a pig out there," he told the Chicago Sun-Times' Joe Cowley. "You want to take a look? I think the rats out there are lifting weights."

• First prize -- On why he was having trouble remembering that April 28 suspended game by the time it resumed in August:

"There was a lot of vodka between that game and today," he told the Sun-Times' Chris De Luca. "Believe me."

• Special bonus quote -- And thanks to the Chicago Tribune's Phil Rogers for passing along this quip from the White Sox's No. 1 pick, Gordon Beckham, on his first impression of the inimitable Ozzie:

"I hope to get up here and get yelled at sooner than later."

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

In how many different language can you say the word "fuck?"

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2008_09_28_Source:_Josh_Beckett_has_oblique_injury:_Sox_ace_may_be_in_hole/srvc=home&position=1

The Red Sox [team stats] could be facing a Tom Brady [stats]-like blow to their postseason plans.

Just as the Patriots [team stats] are trying to make it work this season without the injured Brady as their quarterback, the Red Sox could be going into the playoffs without Josh Beckett [stats] as the ace of their pitching staff.

According to a source, Beckett sustained an oblique injury during a bullpen session following his last start.

Asked last night if Beckett is suffering from an oblique injury, a separate Red Sox source said a medical update on Beckett will be announced today, before the team boards its charter flight to California for Wednesday’s Game 1 of the American League Division Series against the Los Angeles Angels.

The Sox were poised to enter the postseason with one of baseball’s best front-three starters in Beckett (12-10, 4.03 ERA), Daisuke Matsuzaka [stats] (18-3, 2.90) and Jon Lester [stats] (16-6, 3.21). The team has yet to announce its pitching plans for the ALDS, but it has been widely speculated that Beckett would start Game 1.

Between games of yesterday’s doubleheader at Fenway Park [map] against the Yankees, Sox manager Terry Francona said the team’s postseason pitching plans would be announced today.

Because of off days built into the ALDS, Beckett, if healthy, would be able to start Game 1 and return on four days’ rest to pitch a possible Game 4 next Monday at Fenway Park. If he is unable to pitch, the Red Sox could still get two starts each out of Lester and Matsuzaka, with either Tim Wakefield [stats] or Paul Byrd starting Game 3.

Even taking into account the splendid seasons Lester and Matsuzaka have submitted, losing Beckett would seriously hamper the Red Sox in the postseason. There have been plenty of teams that have won the World Series on the strength of two starting pitchers - Curt Schilling [stats] and Randy Johnson of the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks quickly come to mind - but Beckett has emerged as one of the top postseason pitchers of this era.

Beckett was one of the keys to the Red Sox winning the World Series last year, going 4-0 with a 1.20 ERA in four postseason starts. He faced the Angels in Game 1 of the ALDS, tossing a complete-game shutout in a 4-0 Red Sox victory, allowing just four hits.

He won both his starts against the Cleveland Indians in the American League Championship Series, allowing just three runs in 14 innings and being named MVP.

In his lone start in the Sox’ four-game World Series sweep of the Colorado Rockies, he allowed one run in seven innings in Game 1, a 13-1 Red Sox victory. He struck out nine Rockies that night, including the first four of the game.

Counting his 2003 season with the Florida Marlins, which culminated with Beckett pitching his team to victory over the Yankees in the clinching Game 6 at Yankee Stadium, Beckett is 2-1 with a 1.16 ERA in the Fall Classic. He is 3-0 with a 2.70 ERA in five starts, and 1-1 with a 0.56 ERA in the Division Series.

In his most recent start, on Sept. 22 at Fenway Park against the Cleveland Indians, Beckett worked six innings, allowing four runs on seven hits. He had six strikeouts and issued one walk.

In four September starts, Beckett is 1-1 with a 2.16 ERA, with opposing hitters batting just .215 against him.

Beckett made only 27 starts this season, having served two stints on the disabled list.

He was on the disabled list with a lower back strain from the beginning of the season until April 6. He returned to the DL on Aug. 28, retroactive to Aug. 18, with what was termed right elbow inflammation. Extensive tests during his most recent stay on the DL revealed no structural damage in the pitcher’s right elbow.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Uh, well, it looks like Beckett's pitching game 3.  Perhaps I jumped the gun, but I hope he's OK. 

Glad I'm not a Mets fan.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Did you see any of those games Doug? When the Brewers wrapped up against the Cubs every single person in Shea, from Jose Reyes down to the hot dog vendors had a look of defeat on their faces. They had already given up after the back-to-back homers.

The only predictions for the DS that I feel any confidence in are Red Sox over Angels and Cubs over Dodgers. The Red Sox have recent history on their side, not only against the Angels in the playoffs but in so far as teams playing each other in the playoffs where one team dominated the other in the regular season. The Yankees swept the regular season series against the Indians last year only to get dropped in 4 in the DS. The Cubs hold a HUGE pitching advantage over the Dodgers, so big I don't think Manny will be able to carry the Bums past the first round.

Phillies and Brewers is tough. Milwaukee should probably start CC on 3 days rest in game 2 (if they have no intention of keeping him they're going to ride the horse until he drops). Other than Sabbathia and Sheets (if he's 100%) these two teams are so even...but right now I'm tentatively leaning towards Milwaukee. I want to say the Rays over the Twins/Chi Sox, but I just can't bring myself to make a confident prediction in favor of Tampa...and you've gotta watch out for those teams who win tie-breakers, they seem to ride the momentum like the Rockies did last year. The Twins in particular have the pitching that can go toe to toe with the likes of Kazmir/Shields.

Anyway, I'll be watching the Tigers/Chi Sox tomorrow and hoping Chicago wins so we get a Central tie-breaker on Tuesday. Hopefully this year's postseason will be better than last year's (the only postseason series' that weren't sweeps were the CLE/NYY ALDS and the BOS/CLE ALCS) but with the same results: a Red Sox championship.

Best of luck to fans of all the playoff teams.

Offline metaldams

Best of luck to fans of all the playoff teams.

That's the first time you've said that in 15 years!

I'm not as confident as last year against the Angels, and the 1 - 8 record has nothing to do with it.  More so the question marks surrounding Beckett, Drew, and Lowell.  Of course, I think we're capable of going all the way.  Lester and Dice-K aren't chopped liver, and combined with the possibility of a strong Beckett we have a good shot.  Still, nothing's written in stone, and that's why the games are played.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Apparently Drew and Lowell are ready to go for game 1. I absolutely love Lester and will go so far as to stay he's one of the top 3 lefties today. Dice-K will give you heart palpitations but most of time he's able to bob in and out of trouble and come out on top. I'm also counting on the Angels being lax since they haven't played a meaningful game in awhile. The records are very deceiving in this series: the Angels won 100 games while mostly healthy in an otherwise shitty division while the Red Sox won 95 in the toughest division in baseball with quite a few injuries along the way (along with all that Manny drama for the first half).

I've been thinking about tv coverage and FOX must be begging for a Red Sox/Cubs World Series. None of the other AL teams are a big draw nationwide. The Angels and White Sox have already proven to be the shits ratings-wise in recent years, and I don't think the average fans would care for the Twins or Rays either (Tampa doesn't care for the Rays). The worst-case scenarios ratings wise would probably be Angels/Dodgers or Rays/Brewers, but I don't see anything without the Red Sox or Cubs drawing. Red Sox/Cubs is definitely the money draw.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What a game that tie-breaker was (and they usually are good ones). Congrats to all any Chi Sox fans (I'm pretty sure there's at least one). I would not want to play them in the first round with all that momentum, with the game yesterday and tonight they've already won two elimination games before the playoffs officially began.

Offline JazzBill

My nerves are shot. What a game. At the beginning of the season I thought the Sox pitching would be their downfall. As it turned out, it's what saved them. I was wrong about the Cubs too. I said they could never go to the play-offs two years in a row. Oops !
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Sorry about that Bill; I knew we had a White Sox fan on the board but I couldn't remember exactly who it was. That homer Thome hit was an absolute moon shot...I think it's still in orbit.

Offline metaldams

1. I absolutely love Lester and will go so far as to stay he's one of the top 3 lefties today.

I agree, even more so after tonight.  I'd be the happiest guy in the world right now if I didn't have jury duty tomorrow.

Great to see Lester, Bay, and the boys come up big tonight.  Ellsbury has come back around as of late too, and he's only going to get better.  I think I'll be bragging a lot in the future how I was at a game he played in single-A.

....and congrats to Darkhoarse on a big Dodgers win.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well at least later today I can relax while watching the games. The Angels have nothing in their lineup other than 3-4-5, which was quite evident tonight. What about Vlad forgetting that he wasn't Rickey Henderson and getting busted trying to take 3rd on the bloop? That play killed the crowd more so than the Bay homer. Props to Masterson for getting through the only noteworthy part of the Halo's lineup, as well as Papelbon for doing what he usually does....oh yeah Lester was ok too :P.

True story: I said "Manny who?" out loud right before Chip Carey said it during the broadcast.

What about those Cubs fans? They were dead before the damn game even started. Even we Sox fans weren't that bad...we would get pensive before the final few outs before 2004.

Cole Hamels was electric tonight as well as Lester, and finding out that Sheets will not pitch I am confident that the Phillies will take the series in 4 since Sabbathia cannot pitch every game. The Rays and White Sox game should be very interesting...I wonder if the front-runner fans in Tampa will show up or if it's so bad down there they can't sell out a fuckin' playoff game.

Offline metaldams

Well at least later today I can relax while watching the games. The Angels have nothing in their lineup other than 3-4-5, which was quite evident tonight. What about Vlad forgetting that he wasn't Rickey Henderson and getting busted trying to take 3rd on the bloop? That play killed the crowd more so than the Bay homer. Props to Masterson for getting through the only noteworthy part of the Halo's lineup, as well as Papelbon for doing what he usually does....oh yeah Lester was ok too :P.

True story: I said "Manny who?" out loud right before Chip Carey said it during the broadcast.

What about those Cubs fans? They were dead before the damn game even started. Even we Sox fans weren't that bad...we would get pensive before the final few outs before 2004.

Cole Hamels was electric tonight as well as Lester, and finding out that Sheets will not pitch I am confident that the Phillies will take the series in 4 since Sabbathia cannot pitch every game. The Rays and White Sox game should be very interesting...I wonder if the front-runner fans in Tampa will show up or if it's so bad down there they can't sell out a fuckin' playoff game.

The difference between Cubs fans and pre-2004 Red Sox fans is at least the Red Sox have come close, with plenty of game 7 and last day of the season heartbreaks to share.  The Cubs, other than the Bartman incident, really have been dead the second the playoffs begin.

Yeah, the Phils should steamroller over the Brewers, but I can't seem to convince all the Phillies in my area this, no matter how much logic you throw at them.  Another very pessimistic fan base.  The guy across from me in work is the worse, so I explain to him his competition is a team who hasn't made the plaoffs in 25 years, a team who hasn't won a WS in 100 years, and a team who has won 1 postseason game in 20 years (2 after today).  Oh yeah, and they're not the Mets.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well since you pretty much said it I'll say it too: the Phillies are probably the best bet to win the NL Pennant. They'll probably get swept in the World Series, but they should win the Pennant.

Offline metaldams

It's October, I'm watching baseball, and the reality just hit me.....it's Tropicana Field I'm seeing.  What-the-fuck?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline garystooge

Yeah, the Phils should steamroller over the Brewers, but I can't seem to convince all the Phillies in my area this, no matter how much logic you throw at them.

Unfortunately, logic doesn't apply.....the fact that we're the losingest franchise in all of professional sports history is sufficient grounds for healthy pessimism (although I sure hope logic finds a way to prevail)
Gary

Offline metaldams

Unfortunately, logic doesn't apply.....the fact that we're the losingest franchise in all of professional sports history is sufficient grounds for healthy pessimism (although I sure hope logic finds a way to prevail)
Gary

1964, 10,000 losses.....last I checked, Cole Hamels, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Brad Lidge, and Jamie Moyer weren't even born for most of it (OK, maybe Jamie Moyer was in junior high).  You guys have a good team, though I think Brett Meyers might be the wild card concerning how far you go.  I honestly can't see how a single Phillies fan thinks they have no chance against Milwaukee.  Even Sabbathia, great as he is, was toast last post season, and he's pitched three straight games on three days rest.  Advantage - Phillies.

......and Grant Balfour comes up huge as I'm typing.  How 'bout them Rays?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Even Sabbathia, great as he is, was toast last post season, and he's pitched three straight games on three days rest.  Advantage - Phillies.

Like I was saying.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yesterday's games were characterized by great pitching...today's saw one good outing (Billingsley) and a lot of shitty play. The Cubs are absolutely shitting the bed and depriving the majority of the country of what they want to see: the Cubs snap their drought at the century mark. All those errors...for fucks sake.

I thought that deal with Balfour and O-Cab was bullshit that has no business in the game. Kicking dirt at the pitcher...the pitcher telling the batter to go sit down...settle your squabbles after the game. I also want to say fuck all those Johnny-come-lately Rays "fans" that decided to show up with their gay little cowbells and mohawks.

I can understand not showing up all those years when the team sucked ass: who wants to go see a shitty product on the field? THIS year however they were excellent and all during the season those shitheads in Tampa wouldn't go to the games. If the Rays manage to win it all and I were them I would flip off the crowd and tell all those front-running assholes that didn't support the team until playoff time to shove their cowbells up their dickholes.

Oh yeah...they still didn't sell the place out.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm going to have a heart attack.

Offline metaldams

I'm going to have a heart attack.

Masterson pitches the day before, walks in a run in the seventh, and Francona pits him back in the 8th?  Delcarmen and Lopez haven't been used yet, and that situation garners Papelbon a statistical blown save, even though Paps got all six batters out he faced.  Bah!  Not one of Tito's better decisions, and I was cursing it before Masterson threw his first 8 inning pitch. 

On the bright side, we got to enjoy our annual game 2 ALDS slaying of K-Rod, and I guess in turn Papelbon's annual ALDS game 2 win.  J.D. Drew gives us his second huge clutch playoff home run, and Jason Bay proves we're just fine without Manny.

On the shitty side of the coin, 4 series, all 2 - 0 leads.  Sucks as a baseball fan, and even worse for TBS.  A bloody miracle one year later Frank TV is still on the air.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Oh boy, what a game! The Red Sox just absolutely own the Angels and are all in their heads...especially K-Rod's. To scratch and claw all game and finally get your first extra base hit of the series and tie the game up only to have the guy who broke the single season saves record blow it in the 9th: they are fucking done. There is no way they are coming back from this: I'm spent just watching it so I can't even begin to imagine how drained they must feel.

I hope the other series' go at least 4, for fucks sake. Just like last year we had some real promising match-ups in the first round and are now looking at 4 possible 3 game sweeps. Go Brewers, Cubs and White Sox in your game 3's...baseball can use some good opening round series'.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Masterson pitches the day before, walks in a run in the seventh, and Francona pits him back in the 8th?  Delcarmen and Lopez haven't been used yet, and that situation garners Papelbon a statistical blown save, even though Paps got all six batters out he faced.  Bah!  Not one of Tito's better decisions, and I was cursing it before Masterson threw his first 8 inning pitch. 

On the bright side, we got to enjoy our annual game 2 ALDS slaying of K-Rod, and I guess in turn Papelbon's annual ALDS game 2 win.  J.D. Drew gives us his second huge clutch playoff home run, and Jason Bay proves we're just fine without Manny.

On the shitty side of the coin, 4 series, all 2 - 0 leads.  Sucks as a baseball fan, and even worse for TBS.  A bloody miracle one year later Frank TV is still on the air.

Don't get me started on that shit. Note to TBS: airing ads for that Frank TV and that Timothy Hutton show in between every single half-inning is not going to get me to watch that garbage. In fact, the over-promotion is probably going to turn more people off those shows than it will get them to watch. Timothy Hutton was even at the game for fucks sake...complete overkill.

I was expecting either Lopez or Delcarmen in the 8th too, and if anyone got one then bring in Paps. Masterson is a great talent but still a rook and Tito asked too much of him in my opinion. Thanks to Ortiz and Drew that blunder is easily forgotten (along with the two previous championships Tito has guided the Sox to).