Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 85366

Offline metaldams

Friggin' Kevin Mench of Toronto hits a double off Wakefield tonight.  He graduated a year ahead of me in the same high school.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Officially in the Playoffs:
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (AL West Champions)

Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
TEXAS RANGERS

New team in bold.  Also, after last week, I was cheering the Yanks against Tampa Bay today with zero guilt.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Carlos Zambrano, Chicago Cubs. NO HITTER !!!!
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Man...playing Houston in Milwaukee too. The Brewers fans must have loved that since the Astros have come storming up the ranks to challenge for the wild card.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
By the way, the Tigers are next on the gallows pole, a White Sox win and a Tigers loss will officially eliminate them from post season consideration.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Justin T

Carlos Zambrano, Chicago Cubs. NO HITTER !!!!

Saw the footage of that, awesome performance from Zambrano. From what I heard that's
the first No Hitter for the Cubs in nearly 30 years! That's a long time.

Cubs fans gotta be getting pumped for the playoffs after that performance.

It's ironic how my Yankess are now helping the Red Sox catch Tampa Bay for the Division lead.
We took 2 of 3 from Tampa this weekend and as a result the Sox are now just one game behind
Tampa.

I'm still ticked their going to miss the postseason, but they need to make more changes before
they can contend again.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Congrats to Zambrano!  Second no-hitter of the season (unless you count the time the Angels no-hit the Dodgers and lost).  Maybe Lester and Zambrano will face off in the WS.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I'm still ticked their going to miss the postseason, but they need to make more changes before
they can contend again.

You guys had a 13 year playoff run, nothing to be ashamed of....AND by beating the White Sox, you've helped Detroit survive another day.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You guys had a 13 year playoff run, nothing to be ashamed of....AND by beating the White Sox, you've helped Detroit survive another day.

On the contrary: through 2001 is nothing to be ashamed of. 2002 was the year the Yankees went into Maximum Overdrive with copious amounts of spending that made everyone else look like pikers, and they have nothing to show for it. When you're spending near-or-over $200,000,000 to win World Series' coming up short is pathetic.

In addition to the Tigers elimination number being cut to 1, the reigning National League Champion Colorado Rockies now have an elimination number of 2. A Dodgers win and a Rockies loss tomorrow finishes them. By the way, I believe Tampa got something of a receipt for last week tonight. That was the worst Kazmir outing I had ever seen. Let's hope it continues the next couple of days.

Offline metaldams

Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
Texas Rangers
DETROIT TIGERS

New team in bold.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Darkhoarse820

The CRockies and the G'Nats are looking at elimination in the NL West tonight but, I'm really hoping the G'Nats beat the D'Bags tonight just to get the Dodgers that much closer to the finish.  I DO NOT want to go into the final three games with the G'Nats having the chance to play spoiler to us...

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Almost in:
Tampa Bay Rays: Magic number 3 (combination Rays wins and Twins losses) to clinch a playoff berth.
Boston Red Sox: Magic number 4 (combination Red Sox wins and Twins losses) to clinch a playoff berth.
Chicago Cubs: Magic number 4 (combination Cubs wins and Brewers losses) to clinch NL Central.
Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
Texas Rangers
Detroit Tigers
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

New teams in bold

On the Brink:
Colorado Rockies: elimination number 1 (Dodgers win or a loss)
Cleveland Indians: elimination number 2 (White Sox win and a loss)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm not trying to pick on the Yankees here, the same would go for any team that is using taxpayer dollars to build itself a new stadium.

Congressional panel rips Yanks, NYC over new stadium's financing

Associated Press

Updated: September 18, 2008, 12:01 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- A congressional panel has taken tough swings at the New York Yankees and New York City government over a new stadium for the Yankees. But neither the team nor the city budged from their positions on the $1.3 billion structure.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich said Thursday he found "waste and abuse of public dollars" in the financing of the new stadium under construction in the South Bronx.

Kucinich is an Ohio Democrat who heads the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. He charged that city officials misrepresented to the IRS the value of the property, helping them to get special tax deals from the federal government and in effect dumping the cost of construction onto taxpayers. No one from the either the city or the Yankees spoke at the hearing.

As Kucinich spoke, New York's mayor, Michael Bloomberg, was in a nearby building testifying before a different House committee on global warming.

Earlier this week, Bloomberg defended the deal, calling it "a great project."

"We want these kinds of facilities here. Having new stadiums is as important as other things in terms of, not just the spirit for the people who live here, but our economy," Bloomberg said.

That's not how several Democrats on the panel saw it.

"In the case of the new Yankee Stadium, not only have we found waste and abuse of public dollars subsidizing a project that is for the exclusive benefit of a private entity, the Yankees, but also we have discovered serious questions about the accuracy of certain representations made by the City of New York to the federal government," Kucinich said.

The panel's investigation found "substantial evidence of improprieties and possible fraud by the financial architects of the new Yankee Stadium," he added.

The criticism highlights tensions felt nationwide as governments increasingly support stadiums for profitable pro sports teams with multimillion dollar payrolls.

Rep. Laura Watson, D-Calif., said her hometown of Los Angeles has gone without a professional football team for decades because city officials are unwilling to pay for a new stadium.

Given the current financial crisis gripping the U.S. economy, she said it made no sense for taxpayers to pay for construction of buildings for the benefit of sports owner tycoons.

"In this country we have allowed the upper class to destroy the middle class," Watson charged.

The lawmakers also complained that city and team officials had not provided information they have sought about the financing of Yankee Stadium.

The panel did hear from New York State Assemblyman Richard Brodsky, an outspoken critic of the deal, who charges that between $550 million to $850 million in taxpayer money has been committed to the project.

Brodksy's charges, based on city, IRS, and Yankee documents, include:

• The city manipulated the assessed value of the stadium to meet requirements for an IRS tax exemption. That included using comparable land values in Manhattan rather than the Bronx to come up with the value for the new property.

• City officials didn't disclose their purchase of a luxury box and extra game tickets and apparently there is no city policy on their use.

• The $366 million in additional funding sought by the Yankees to complete the stadium would be for a large video screen, not structural costs.

Previously, Yankee officials have accused Brodsky of factually inaccurate grandstanding after he voted twice in favor of the deal in the state legislature.

"The project has been one of the most transparent transactions undertaken in the city of New York and details have been recorded in voluminous, publicly available documents," Yankees spokeswoman Alice McGillion said earlier this week.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3595265

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Almost in:
Chicago Cubs: Magic number 2 (combination Cubs wins and Brewers losses) to clinch NL Central.
Tampa Bay Rays: Magic number 3 (combination Rays wins and Twins losses) to clinch a playoff berth.
Boston Red Sox: Magic number 4 (combination Red Sox wins and Twins losses) to clinch a playoff berth.

Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
Texas Rangers
Detroit Tigers
San Francisco Giants
COLORADO ROCKIES

New teams in bold

On the Brink:
Cleveland Indians: elimination number 2 (White Sox win and a loss)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Almost in:
Chicago Cubs: Magic number 1 (a win or a Brewers loss) to clinch NL Central.
Tampa Bay Rays: Magic number 1 (a win over the Twins) to clinch a playoff berth.
Boston Red Sox: Magic number 2 (combination Red Sox wins and Twins and Yankees losses) to clinch a playoff berth.

Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
Texas Rangers
Detroit Tigers
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies

New teams in bold

On the Brink:
Cleveland Indians: elimination number 1 (White Sox win or a loss)
Toronto Blue Jays: elimination number 1 (a loss to the Red Sox)
New York Yankees: elimination number 2 (a Red Sox win, a Rays win and a loss)

Offline JazzBill

[youtube=425,350]CqHTScDBsDU[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Chicago Cubs (NL Central Champions)
Tampa Bay Rays (Clinched Playoff Berth)

Almost in:
Boston Red Sox: Magic number 2 (combination Red Sox wins and Yankees losses) to clinch a playoff berth.

Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
Texas Rangers
Detroit Tigers
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies

New teams in bold

On the Brink:
Cleveland Indians: elimination number 1 (White Sox win or a loss)
Toronto Blue Jays: elimination number 1 (a loss to the Red Sox)
New York Yankees: elimination number 2 (a Red Sox win, a Rays win and a loss)
St. Louis Cardinals: elimination number 3 (combination Mets wins and Cardinals losses)

Offline Justin T

Congratulations to the Cubs and the Rays for making the playoffs. For any fans here on the
board I hope your teams do well.

Today is the last Yankee home game at the old stadium. I'm glad I got to go there one last
time this season. I'm going to miss it.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Quite a few bodies can hit the floor today, so I think it'll be easier to update as they do. Feel free to edit this if you get it before I do, Doug.

Almost in:
Boston Red Sox: Magic number 1 (a win or a Yankees loss) to clinch a playoff berth.

Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
Texas Rangers
Detroit Tigers
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies
TORONTO BLUE JAYS
CLEVELAND INDIANS

New teams in bold

On the Brink:
New York Yankees: elimination number 1 (a Red Sox win or a loss)
St. Louis Cardinals: elimination number 2 (combination Mets wins and Cardinals losses)
Florida Marlins: elimination number 3 (combination Mets wins and Marlins losses)

Offline metaldams

Not sure if any others are happening tonight, but I'll check that later.  Just want the honor of posting the two new bolds, and it's amazing how they did it.  Tim Wakefield gets robbed of wins on quality performances all year for various reasons, pitches just OK tonight (the defense did not help him), and he beats Cliff Lee.  The night before Beckett couldn't beat some jabroni.  Baseball's a strange game.

BOSTON RED SOX (CLINCHED PLAYOFF BERTH)

Eliminated Teams Update:

Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland Athletics
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Atlanta Braves
Texas Rangers
Detroit Tigers
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies
Toronto Blue Jays
Cleveland Indians
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
NEW YORK YANKEES
FLORIDA MARLINS

New teams in bold

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:12:55 PM by shemps#1 »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I went ahead and added the Cards and Fish to the post Doug. St. Louis was eliminated yesterday. The Astros have an elimination number of 3, if the Reds hang on it will be down to 2. If the Pirates can hang on to beat the Brewers the Phillies will have a magic number of 2 to clinch a playoff spot.

The addition of Tampa and subtraction of the Yankees should make for an interesting post-season this year. It's gotta suck for Yanks fans: not only are they officially eliminated and the Red Sox in the playoffs this year but the Mets have a good chance of making the playoffs as well.

Offline metaldams

The addition of Tampa and subtraction of the Yankees should make for an interesting post-season this year. It's gotta suck for Yanks fans: not only are they officially eliminated and the Red Sox in the playoffs this year but the Mets have a good chance of making the playoffs as well.

I betcha Joe Torre must feel vindicated right now, and I'm glad, 'cause I like Joe and can't stand anything named Steinbrenner.

I'm really happy Tampa Bay's in the playoffs.  If they advance further than Boston and don't play The Cubs, I'll be cheering them on.

As far as the division goes, unlike last year, I could care less.  I think we have a good shot against the Angels, though they're certainly not a pushover.  Yeah, they're 8 - 1 against Boston this year, but 6 of those wins were during the dog days of Manny - a team that would not have made the playoffs.

Minnesota crushing Chicago right now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
With Tampa playing the Orioles and Tigers while we have the Indians and Yankees I've resigned myself to the fact that the Sox will get the wild card, which is fine because in reality the wild card is just as good as winning the division. Since the inception of the wild card in 1995 9 wild card teams have made the World Series, including one of each of the last 5. Four of those wild card teams have won the World Series including the 04 Red Sox, so I'm not worried. Of course as you said we are a different team than the one the Angels played, and we have also 9 straight post-season wins against them.

If the Brewers end up on the outs it will be a crushing disappointment. They were right there with the Red Sox as far as having a nice cushion in the Wild Card went and so far they've blown it. With Sheets and Sabathia gone after the season it's now or never.

Offline metaldams

With Tampa playing the Orioles

What a friggin' pitiful team.  Cheering them onto beat the Yanks and Rays, I end up hating them for the same reasons I love playing them...there are a few games a year where you don't beat them, but they beat themselves.  I hope Nick Markakis finds a worthier team when he's a free agent.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I should correct myself: there has been at one wild card team in the past 6 World Series', the Angels and Giants were both wild card teams in 2002.