Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 84941

Offline Darkhoarse820

As long as the Phillies win the World Series (like that'll ever happen in the current ownership), it doesn't matter which division is the best.  I guess the Cubbies really want to win it on their 100th adversary.  But I wouldn't mind the Cubs beating, say, some teams from Noo Yawk.

Maybe a rehash of the 1932 World Series?

Offline Justin T

This thread has been quiet for a long time, figured I would unbury it.

Well, the Yankess sure got slapped hard by injuries, the one to Wang was bad enough but
then Joba gets tendinitis in his throwing shoulder and I was like ARGH!!!

If they earn the Wild Card, it will be a miracle IMO. I'm not holding out alot of hope for that.
I'm looking more toward next year at the moment. They better do everything they can to
keep Xavier Nady, he's been excellent since they got him from the Pirates. Don't know if
Pudge will stay, It would be nice then they could move Posada to 1st Base like they
have been thinking about since last year, but who knows what he's going be like next
season after the shoulder surgery.

Lots of good stories regardless. White Sox vs Twins for the Al Central, Rays, Sox and Yanks
in the East. The Brewers vs Cubs in the NL Central got really good. Sabathia has been
freaking amazing for Brewers ever since they traded for him.

For the Red Sox fans, are you happy you guys finally got rid of Manny and his whole act?
I was suprised they traded him to the Dodgers, It's going to be interesting to see if Joe T
can keep Manny in line. So far no problems and hes been hitting like crazy for them.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline JazzBill

Well, I was wrong on both of the Chicago teams. I said that the Cubs could never have two good years in a row. I also said that the White Sox pitching would suck. I just watched the Cubs come back in the 9th inning and steal a game from the Marlins. The Sox seem to be able to slug their way out of trouble. Yesterday they tied a record and hit four home runs in a row. I'm a White Sox fan, but I just don't think they can hold on. I think the Cubs have a better shot to go all the way.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Well, the Yankess sure got slapped hard by injuries, the one to Wang was bad enough but

If they earn the Wild Card, it will be a miracle IMO. I'm not holding out alot of hope for that.
I'm looking more toward next year at the moment. They better do everything they can to
keep Xavier Nady, he's been excellent since they got him from the Pirates. Don't know if
Pudge will stay, It would be nice then they could move Posada to 1st Base like they
have been thinking about since last year, but who knows what he's going be like next

Lots of good stories regardless. White Sox vs Twins for the Al Central, Rays, Sox and Yanks
in the East. The Brewers vs Cubs in the NL Central got really good. Sabathia has been

For the Red Sox fans, are you happy you guys finally got rid of Manny and his whole act?
I was suprised they traded him to the Dodgers, It's going to be interesting to see if Joe T
can keep Manny in line. So far no problems and hes been hitting like crazy for them.

The only thing telling me the Yankees will make the playofs now is old school, pre-2004 superstition.  I can't think of a logical explanation why they would make the postseason, but my paranoia will never leave.  I know a lot of Yankee fans can't fathom this, but it's wise they rebuild.

As for the Manny fiasco, well, I have lots of good memories from Manny, no doubt.  Hell, I was even at the game when he hit his 500th homerun.  I'll try to remember the good times, but I completely support the trade.  His behavior in those final days was deplorable, and since the trade, Boston has played some great baseball.  I think without Manny's distractions and Jed Lowrie replacing Julio Lugo, Boston's a better team.  I know one can say we're missing out on Manny's production, and perhaps that's right.  Still, there's no guarantee Manny would play hard.  Jason Bay, on the other hand, is a very good ball player who actually cares and I like him already.

Also, don't know how this will work out, but on paper, I think Paul Byrd is a great rental option.  The irony was in Byrd's last start, when he beat Roy Halladay, an article I read said this would be a good tryout for him to be waivered to a contending team.  I was hoping Boston would pick him up with Wakefield's injury, Buchholz's rookie woes, and Colon's never ending rehab assignment, and it turns out they did.  He's not an ace, but he's a proven major league starter capable of giving a quality start on any given day, which is just what the doctor ordered.  Beats the heck out of Jason Johnson and Kyle Snyder.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Darkhoarse820

So far so good with Manny.  He's really come along with the team as a whole.  They're happy to have him on the team and it also goes the other way around.  Currently, and also with the addition of Casey Blake, my boys in Blue seem to be having a fine time with the lineup cards, until you get to the pitcher.  It seems that every single game comes with a breakdown in the relief department.  Yes, there are the defensive woes, too, but the pitching is mostly to blame. 

Also, it would seem that "Manny's whole act" stemed from the Red Sox front office.  All he was doing was rebelling against them.  He wanted out, bottom line.  I was looking at a log of "Manny Being Manny" incidents and most of them seemed to have occured last month.  I can also recall hearing his name in possible trade talks with us (the Dodgers) going all the way back to 2004, until either Manny or Boston pulled back and held on to him for another year until the rumors began again.  It's like when we tried to get rid of Shawn Green in 2004/05 (something that stilll angers me) but, we couldn't because of the "no trade" clause in his contract.  Finally, embittered, he let go of the clause and off he went.  I saw him at the Rockies' spring camp in 2006, where he told me to burn the hat I was wearing (a Dodgers' hat).  You can only push someone so far until they snap.  Manny didn't really snap.  He taunted...

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Enjoy Manny while he lasts, because unless the Dodgers are willing to overpay he isn't going to stick around. His saying he wants to sign with the Yankees before the season's even over is not what I'd call a team player, but what the hell. He's awesome with the bat when he wants to be and should be enough to get the Dodgers the weakest division in baseball. I don't see them getting past the Cubs come playoff time however, especially after watching Park blow a 5-1 lead in the 9th (like you said, bullpen woes...but the teams that don't have those can be counted on one hand with fingers to spare).

Vin Scully, btw is a freaking treasure. After all of these years to still be commenting (by himself no less), it's a joy to get to listen to him work his magic.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Darkhoarse820

Enjoy Manny while he lasts, because unless the Dodgers are willing to overpay he isn't going to stick around. His saying he wants to sign with the Yankees before the season's even over is not what I'd call a team player, but what the hell. He's awesome with the bat when he wants to be and should be enough to get the Dodgers the weakest division in baseball. I don't see them getting past the Cubs come playoff time however, especially after watching Park blow a 5-1 lead in the 9th (like you said, bullpen woes...but the teams that don't have those can be counted on one hand with fingers to spare).

Vin Scully, btw is a freaking treasure. After all of these years to still be commenting (by himself no less), it's a joy to get to listen to him work his magic.

I plan on enjoying Manny being in a Dodger uniform.  I have been for nearly a month now.  It's exciting, it's awakened MOST of the team and it's sort of unified them in a way. 

I am fully aware that this is merely a two-month rental (it's a freebie considering the biggest name we gave away was Andy LaRoche) and I'm fine with that.  It's what's happening NOW and not next year that worries me right now.  Our division has been the worst in the Majors for years and I've always said that it would be better to lose the division title because even winning is laughable.  I remember winning two years ago (well Wild Card considering the tie with SD) and our record was sub-.500 - how pathetic. 

The rumors swirling about Manny are that he might want to stay here and even take a pay cut.  Hey, that sounds great to me.  The other one is a request by him to play for the Bombers.  Once again, that's OK, too.  As long as he doesn't end up in the NL West elsewhere, I'm fine with it.  Honestly, though, I'm sick of this so-called Manny Mania over here.  So many idiots are running around with their heads covered in Manny wigs, even after he's cut his hair.  I don't know.  I just think it's silly.  Would we have been so outrageous had we signed Ken Griffey Jr. instead?  Come on, now.  He's hit more homeruns...why not?

Vin Scully is a legend in my heart and I got to meet him one night after he came out of a movie screening out here.  Oddly enough, it wasn't baseball related.  He just walked right past me and I turned and called out his name.  All I could get out before I began to tear up was to tell him how much he has meant to me as a fan and a listener over the past twenty years.  I told him I still have the video tape of his call of Kirk Gibson's homerun at my Parents house (a game I was at) and that what I saw was the replay, set to Randy Newman's "The Natural".  He claimed he never saw that piece but, could imagine it was something to see.  The last thing I said to him was that I know he was loved by the fans in Brooklyn, even if only for a short period of eight seasons and that he has been part of so many memories here in Los Angeles that I'd need the hands of the world to be able to count the memories on.  I absolutely love him and I hope he comes back next year.

There are three games I really want to see towards the end of the season...

1.  the last game at Shea.
2.  the last game at Yankee Stadium.
3.  the last game Vin Scully calls (because you never know when it might be his last.)

Sorry I kept going.  It was the coffee...

Offline metaldams

The rumors swirling about Manny are that he might want to stay here and even take a pay cut.  Hey, that sounds great to me.  The other one is a request by him to play for the Bombers.  Once again, that's OK, too.  As long as he doesn't end up in the NL West elsewhere, I'm fine with it.  Honestly, though, I'm sick of this so-called Manny Mania over here.  So many idiots are running around with their heads covered in Manny wigs, even after he's cut his hair.  I don't know.  I just think it's silly.  Would we have been so outrageous had we signed Ken Griffey Jr. instead?  Come on, now.  He's hit more homeruns...why not?

Gotta say, that west coast air has done wonders for his knees.

As long as he's trying, you guys are lucky to have him.  There are lots of fun Manny moments, and there are times you wanna stangle the guy.  Either way, he's always interesting. 

Got a serious question, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass.  What do you think of Dodger fans having the repuation as fans who leave in the seventh inning?  I remember watching Manny's first game in the 9th inning, Dodgers down 2 - 1, and he its into a double play (as great as Manny is, he's had very few walk-off hits, which is why game 2 of the ALDS was such a pleasant surprise).  There's still an out to go, I believe Matt Kemp, your clean up guy, was up, and fans were walking away.  That struck me as strange, 'cause you'd never see that in Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley, St. Louis, and lots of other places.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Darkhoarse820

Gotta say, that west coast air has done wonders for his knees.

As long as he's trying, you guys are lucky to have him.  There are lots of fun Manny moments, and there are times you wanna stangle the guy.  Either way, he's always interesting. 

Got a serious question, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass.  What do you think of Dodger fans having the repuation as fans who leave in the seventh inning?  I remember watching Manny's first game in the 9th inning, Dodgers down 2 - 1, and he its into a double play (as great as Manny is, he's had very few walk-off hits, which is why game 2 of the ALDS was such a pleasant surprise).  There's still an out to go, I believe Matt Kemp, your clean up guy, was up, and fans were walking away.  That struck me as strange, 'cause you'd never see that in Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley, St. Louis, and lots of other places.

Do you mean the West Coast air that nearly deflates our lungs day in and day out?  It's absolutely abyssmal out here most of the time.  Manny's had his moments already.  They're minor but, they were moments.  The first was when he HAD to use the bathroom between B8 and T9.  He came out to LF a few minutes late, tucking his jersey into his pants and all.  You know, whatever...
The other night, he threw a bomb in from LF and it went by the first baseman and into the camera well, allowing the runner on first to take third.  That would later prove to be the game winner for the Brewers.  I can't think of any more off the top of my head but, keep a close ear and I'm sure I'll have something.

Our fans are fickle as all Hell.  The smaller groups of "laggers" are Whites, Blacks and Asian but, they're mostly Chicano and/or Latino.  As well as leaving in the 7th, they also show up as late as the 4th.  Oddly enough, as the demographic must show, the Chicano and/or Latino population probably make up half of the game's attendance.  By the way, I do not condone racial profiling, nor am I prejudiced or a racist.  I'm trying to give you and idea of what you're looking at.  Here's a perfect example:

The other night (August 12th) I was taking in a game against the Phils and my Wife spent the time knitting in the other seat.  We were the lone occupants of our row up until the 4th inning, when a man and his Wife showed up and sat down.  They had this humongous tray, full of Dodger Dogs, nachos and enough grease to clog a main artery in YOUR system all the way from where you are right this second.  Anyway, this guy ends up sitting on top of me, while sprawled out in his seat.  I could have said something (and my Wife saw him plop down and take over) but, I had one statement to whisper to my Wife..."I'm not worried.  They'll be gone by "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"."  T7 rolls around and the guy stands up.  So does his Wife.  They stretch out, "ho-hum, yawn" and all of that BS.  I'm thinking OK, I called it and there they go...

The SOB sat back down.  OK, fine.  Here comes "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and I was more than happy to stand up.  So were they.  OK, NOW they're leaving.  B7 begins and they're still there.  Meanwhile half the stadium has emptied out, the score tied at three.  With two outs in B7, he gets up, helps his Wife up and they leave.  The stereotype is more than confirmed for me and all I can do is sit there and gloat because I was right about our "so-called" Dodger fans.  There is no loyalty in most of our fanbase. 

So, as a right slap to the face of anybody who chooses to leave early like that, the Dodgers beat the Phils in the bottom of the ninth, 4-3.  They all miss so much by skipping out.  Yes, they avoid the massive traffic delays that occur out there in the lot but, it's a worthy price to pay for seeing one Hell of an ending.  I often wonder if the people you see braking in the 1988 WS video (Gibson) still dare to miss the ending of the game.  Or the crowd that missed the four homeruns and Nomar's game winner in 2006 as they all run back to try and see it.  They cannot get back in.  Once you leave, you can't come back.

I show up at least an hour before game time and I refuse to leave before the last pitch, win or lose.  If you're with me there, you have no choice in the matter.  I am a Dodger fan but, a baseball fan first.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just have one question, perhaps Justin or any other Yankees fan can answer this for me. Why do Yankees fans seem so shocked when A-Rod shits the bed in crucial situations like he did a couple of times during last night's game? Time and again this guy has proven that while he is the best hitter and most talented position player in Major League Baseball, yet he lacks heart and makes Barry Bonds look like a team player.

As an aside, I've never seen anyone hit Wake's knuckleball like Johnny Damon does (as much as I hate to admit that about Mr. "I'd Never Play For The Yankees"). Those home runs he hit were not due to power but due to perfect timing and execution of his swing. It's not like Wake hung those pitches either. Other than Damon, Wakefield pitched very well in his return and I for one am glad he's back, along with Beckett seemingly back to full strength with the tingling gone. It's going to be one hell of a final month.

One last thing; I said this last year and I'll say it this year, I think Roy Halladay should get the Cy Young. The man leads the majors in innings pitched with 204.1, which is 18 2/3 more than Cliff Lee (who will probably win it) is 5th in MLB and 3rd in the AL in strikeouts with 175, 5th in MLB and 3rd in the AL with a 2.69 ERA (ERA's seem to be lower this year, which for a pitching mark like myself is awesome) tied for 3rd in MLB in with 16 wins, and even has a freakin hold!  Add to that 8 complete games, 2 shutouts and a WHIP of 1.04....damn Halladay is the best pitcher in the game.

If Toronto's pitching and Texas' offenses were on the same team that team would steamroll everyone else to a World Series win.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Justin T

I just have one question, perhaps Justin or any other Yankees fan can answer this for me. Why do Yankees fans seem so shocked when A-Rod shits the bed in crucial situations like he did a couple of times during last night's game? Time and again this guy has proved that while he is the best hitter and most talented position player in Major League Baseball, yet he lacks heart and makes Barry Bonds look like a team player.

As an aside, I've never seen anyone hit Wake's knuckleball like Johnny Damon does (as much as I hate to admit that about Mr. "I'd Never Play For The Yankees"). Those home runs he hit were not due to power but due to perfect timing and execution of his swing. It's not like Wake hung those pitches either. Other than Damon, Wakefield pitched very well in his return and I for one am glad he's back, along with Beckett seemingly back to full strength with the tingling gone. It's going to be one hell of a final month.

One last thing; I said this last year and I'll say it this year, I think Roy Halladay should get the Cy Young. The man leads the majors in innings pitched with 204.1, which is 18 2/3 more than Cliff Lee (who will probably win it) is 5th in MLB and 3rd in the AL in strikeouts with 175, 5th in MLB and 3rd in the AL with a 2.69 ERA (ERA's seem to be lower this year, which for a pitching mark like myself is awesome) tied for 3rd in MLB in with 16 wins, and even has a freakin hold!  Add to that 8 complete games, 2 shutouts and a WHIP of 1.04....damn Halladay is the best pitcher in the game.

If Toronto's pitching and Texas' offenses were on the same team that team would steamroll everyone else to a World Series win.

Good question Shemps, I think it's because since he's one of the best players in the Major's they EXPECT him to be able to come through
in those clutch situations and he doesn't always do that. I like A-Rod as a player (my opinion on him as a person is very mixed at best)
and I have to admit even I got pissed at him last night for blowing so many chances to get them back in the game, esp in the 8th inning
when he grounded into that inning ending double play. I screamed "You freaking douchbag!!" at my TV and changed the channel in disgust.

I think it's just expectations that he SHOULD be able to come through, but so far when it counts, esp in the playoffs, he hasn't. Yet the
fans still put all these high expectations on him to perform like he's Superman all the time. I've learned to lower the bar alot this season.

But yeah, Damon had Wakefield's number all night...too bad no one else could do much against him. Johnny has been very good this year, one
of the best hitters on the team period.

After the way they lost to Boston last night, I'm not expecting them to win the Wild Card at all right now. Their just not playing as well as they
could and it pisses me off because this is the last year of the original stadium and they are going to miss the playoffs for the first time in more
than a decade. It would have been nice to get some playoff games in Yankee Stadium one more time. Oh well.....

Yeah, I totally agree on how amazing Roy Halladay is, he should get the Cy Young. I have a soft spot for Mussina winning but I doubt he
will even be in contention unless he gets really close to 20 wins which at this point in the season is doubtful.

The question that's on my mind right now is whether the Cubs, who look to be the best NL team right now and one of the best in all of MLB, are
going to not only make it to the Series but perhaps finally end their more than 100 year championship drought? What do you guys think, do the
Cubs have what it takes to beat, Tampa, Boston, the White Sox or the Angels?
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

I too was very happy with Wakefield's performance last night, especially since this is is first start off the DL.  He beats the Yankees for the first time in 2 1/2 years and was finally the recipient of things called run support and bullpens holding leads.  It's a disgrace he's only only 8 - 8 this season, as he's pitched much better than that.

Masterson has been huge for us.  Yeah yeah, I know, A-Rod choked, but he did so because he faced a young pitcher who can throw a great sinker and knows how to get right handed hitters out.  Pre all-star break, when Delcarmen shits the bed, we'd probably see Okajima allow those runners to score or see Hansen or Timlin.  Masterson has really stabilized our bullpen!  Speaking of Okajima, he is having the reverse of last season, a stronger second half than first.  He too has also helped the bullpen lately, and Papelbon has been way more efficient as of late.  Earlier on he was getting high pitch counts but lately he's been inducing quick ground balls with that splitter.  On Sunday, he was able to get through 2 innings on only 16 pitches, and the one pitch out to Pudge last night was huge.

As for Roy Halladay, consider me another member of the fan club.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The question that's on my mind right now is wheater the Cubs, who look to be the best NL team right now and one of the best in all of MLB, are
going to not only make it to the Series but perhaps finally end their more than 100 year championship drought? What do you guys think, do the
Cubs have what it takes to beat, Tampa, Boston, the White Sox or the Angels?

No, and here's why: the American League is still far and away better than the National League. For instance, if the Twins have a better record than the Phillies and Mets, while the aforementioned Twins, along with the Yankees and Blue Jays have a better record than the Diamondbacks...and that's comparing three AL teams who would not make the playoffs if the season ended (and the Yanks and Jays have little to no chance) to two teams that would win their divisions in the NL and one that is only 1/2 game back. If the Cubs had to face teams like the Rays, BoSox, ChiSox, Angels, Yanks, Jays, Twins during the season their record would not be as impressive.

The best chance for the Cubs would be against the Rays. Come playoff time experience means the world, and the Rays are lacking in that area. The Cubs should break their "curse" however and win the pennant (remember, the Curse of the Billy Goats states that the Cubs will never win another pennant, not the Series).

Offline metaldams

The best chance for the Cubs would be against the Rays. Come playoff time experience means the world, and the Rays are lacking in that area. The Cubs should break their "curse" however and win the pennant (remember, the Curse of the Billy Goats states that the Cubs will never win another pennant, not the Series).

I remember those inexperienced Detroit pitchers choking both on the mound and defensively to the 83 win Cards in '06, so there's validity in that statement.  Rookies certainly have succeeded in the post season, but usually a veteran core is on the team with them.

Tampa's looking real strong this year, and like the '06 Tigers, have very impressive young pitching, yet minus the veteran presence of a Kenny Rogers like Detroit had.  Hell, I like this Rays team and only cheer against them because they're in Boston's division.  As a Sox fan, I'm less gung-ho about winning the division as I was last year.  A miracle Tampa Bay team winning it is easier to stomach than New York for the umpeenth time, and we broke the 12 year divisionless streak last year.  That said, I certainly want the division, but would be happy with the wild card.  Props to Matt Garza tonight as well, a 1 - 0 win over the Jays.

Anybody catch that Phillies Vs. Mets game on Tuesday?  The Phils climbing back from a seven run defecit, and that Philly crowd was pretty electric.  I can tell you one thing, and God bless him, but Pedro ain't what he used to be.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Anybody want to play guess the division?

AL East

BOSTON - Fingers crossed here, but right now, they're raking against division rivals on the road, and have a strong home schedule come September.  Lowell and Drew should be rested and ready, Mark Kotsay's great depth, and Tampa Bay have players who are new to this pennant race thing, so they're my wild car pick.  Again, not a confident pick, but at gun point, I gotta go with Boston.  However, if Beckett falters and Lester tires (very possible, as he was awful last start and has never logged this many innings in a season), Tampa will win the division.  The reverse of Lester is Dice-K, who doesn't have a lot of innings and should be rested enough for the stretch.

AL CENTRAL

CHICAGO - Tough choice, as Minnesota has better pitching, yet Chicago's no slouch in that department.  Offense is where the Sox are clearly dominant, so that's why I'll give the edge to Chicago.

AL WEST

THE MONTREAL EXPOS..........have a better chance than Texas, Oakland, and Seattle this season.

AL WILD CARD
Tampa Bay

NL EAST
The Phils, just because.  Honestly, New York and Philly are so close, I'm only gonna say Philly cause NY is traumatized from last year.  No other rason.

NL CENTRAL
CHICAGO

NL WEST
D-Backs.  Laugh all you want, but in a short series, with Webb and Harden, they'll be tough to beat.

Wild Card
MILWAUKEE - The C.C. factor.  Brew Crew will make the playoffs for the first time since I've been following baseball.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Anybody want to play guess the division?

AL East

BOSTON - Fingers crossed here, but right now, they're raking against division rivals on the road, and have a strong home schedule come September.  Lowell and Drew should be rested and ready, Mark Kotsay's great depth, and Tampa Bay have players who are new to this pennant race thing, so they're my wild car pick.  Again, not a confident pick, but at gun point, I gotta go with Boston.  However, if Beckett falters and Lester tires (very possible, as he was awful last start and has never logged this many innings in a season), Tampa will win the division.  The reverse of Lester is Dice-K, who doesn't have a lot of innings and should be rested enough for the stretch.

AL CENTRAL

CHICAGO - Tough choice, as Minnesota has better pitching, yet Chicago's no slouch in that department.  Offense is where the Sox are clearly dominant, so that's why I'll give the edge to Chicago.

AL WEST

THE MONTREAL EXPOS..........have a better chance than Texas, Oakland, and Seattle this season.

AL WILD CARD
Tampa Bay

NL EAST
The Phils, just because.  Honestly, New York and Philly are so close, I'm only gonna say Philly cause NY is traumatized from last year.  No other rason.

NL CENTRAL
CHICAGO

NL WEST
D-Backs.  Laugh all you want, but in a short series, with Webb and Harden, they'll be tough to beat.

Wild Card
MILWAUKEE - The C.C. factor.  Brew Crew will make the playoffs for the first time since I've been following baseball.
Let's see:

AL East: (Tampa leads by 3.5 games)
Boston
Games against +.500 teams: 20
Games against -.500 teams: 10
Home Games: 20 (43-18 at home)
Away Games: 10 (34-37 on road)

Tampa Bay
Games against +.500 teams: 20
Games against -.500 teams: 11
Home Games: 14 (48-19)
Away Games: 17 (32-32)

Head to Head: 6-6

My Prediction: Boston. Of course I'm biased, but I can't ignore the Sox having 2/3rds of their remaining games at home, and the fact that they've been playing much better on the road (6-2 so far on this trip), not to mention the experience edge. Not only does Boston have more vets, but their young guys are battle tested. Both have tough schedules record-wise: it's a wash considering they are playing the same teams (mostly division opponents). They most telling games will be against each other. Not only have they split the games they've played so far, but Boston has won all 6 at Fenway while Tampa has won all 6 at the Trop. My guess is if one of these teams can beat the other on the road said team will win the division.

AL Central: (Chicago leads by 1 game)
Chicago White Sox
Games against +.500 teams: 17
Games against -.500 teams: 12
Home Games: 13 (46-22)
Away Games: 16 (30-35)

Minnesota
Games against +.500 teams: 10
Games against -.500 teams: 19
Home Games: 12 (46-23)
Away Games: 17 (29-35)

Head to Head: 8-7 CWS

Prediction: This is hard; however, while the Twins have a 4 game set at Tampa they don't have to go to Yankee Stadium or Fenway while the White Sox do. The ChiSox also have a killer homestand coming up against the Angels and Jays. The Twins have better starting pitching, and the Sox have a suspect bullpen to try to get to Jenks. This will probably come down to the second to last series of the season, when these teams meet at the Metrodome but for now I'll pick the Twins to win.

AL West: (LAA leads by 15.5 games)
Seattle...Pilots have a better chance than the Expos, Mariners, Rangers or A's.

AL Wild Card: Tampa Bay (+3.5 in the wild card), if not then Boston (- in the wild card) because the Rays would have won the division.
Minnesota (-2.5) and Chicago (-1.5) have a shot (whichever doesn't win the division), but with both of the AL East teams playing well on the road recently along with Boston's home-heavy schedule I don't see either collapsing that far. As for the Yankees (-7), they needed a sweep of Boston to have a good chance at the wild card: didn't happen. They needed to take 2 of 3 to have something of a chance: didn't happen. Now they need to beat Boston in the final game to have a hail mary chance at the wild card: after the Pedroia grand slam I shut the game off because the stench of loserdom was overwhelming (and I thought smell-o-vision was make believe). The players knew it, the fans knew it, and even Hank Steinbrenner (who looks just like his dad while his brother was fortunate enough to escape that fate) knew it: The Yankees are finished.

NL East: (Mets lead by .5 game)
New York Mets
Games Against +.500 teams: 16
Games Against -.500 teams: 12
Home Games: 15 (41-25)
Away Games: 13 (33-35)

Philadelphia
Games Against +.500 teams: 17
Games Against -.500 teams: 12
Home Games: 13 (39-29)
Away Games: 16 (34-31)

Head to Head: 9-5 NYM

Prediction: It is with much trepidation that I pick the Mets to outlast the Phils, only because they still have last season to atone for. Both teams still have games with the Cubs and Brewers in the near future.

NL Central: (Chicago leads by 6 games)
Chicago Cubs
Games Against +.500 teams: 26
Games Against -.500 teams: 3
Home Games: 13 (49-19)
Away Games: 16 (34-31)

Milwaukee
Games Against +.500 teams: 13
Games Against -.500 teams: 16
Home Games: 16 (41-24)
Away Games: 13 (36-32)

Head to Head: 6-4 CHC

My Prediction: Although the Cubs have an extremely tough schedule they are the best team in the National League. Their 6 game lead should hold up.

NL West (ARI leads by 3 games)
Arizona
Games Against +.500 teams: 7
Games Against -.500 teams: 22 (6 against LAD)
Home Games: 16 (37-28)
Away Games: 13 (31-37)

Los Angeles Dodgers
Games Against +.500 teams: 6 (all against ARI)
Games Against -.500 teams: 23
Home Games: 12 (39-30)
Away Games: 17 (26-38)

Head to Head: 7-5 ARI

My prediction: There's usually one division that totally blows since they extended the format, and this year it's the NL West. I'll go with the Diamondbacks because the Dodgers have been especially awful lately and have more games on the road.

NL Wild Card: Milwaukee (-). They are definitely the second-best team in the NL, and the team that can give the Cubs a run for their money in the post season. it's a shame we can't replace the NL West Champs with St. Louis (-3.5)...but then again they won a world series in a year when they barely made it over .500 so perhaps it's karmic justice.

Offline Lefty

Best scenario:  The Phillies win the World Series.
Worst scenario:  Anything else.

Seriously, though, if the Phillies cannot win (like they ever will with their current ownership), I would love a Milwaukee vs. Tampa Bay series, just to put it to the Fox Network, which wants a Yankees-Mets, Cubs-White Sox, or Dodgers-Angels matchup, even though the Y2K NY/NY series was the lowest-rated of all time.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Actually the 2006 Tigers/Cards World Series was the lowest rated World Series, but the Mets/Yanks series is down there.

Offline Darkhoarse820

Hell, I'll end the season and the World series for you, right here and now.

From the perspective of a rabid Dodgers' fan (that means I hate the Giants, Angels and Yankees because it's in the contract)...

In this corner (NL), the Chicago Cubs, making their first World Series appearance since 1945...
...and in this corner (AL), we have a tie (unfortunately).

Pending a close look at strength and agility...pain and progress...
...the ANAHEIM Angels (enough of that Los Angeles crap) and the Tampa Bay Rays, as much as their name is silly, too.

...and that's what's gonna happen.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Rays/Cubs would be interesting in the "who to root for because I'm not a fan of either team?" aspect. On one hand you have the Rays...who before this season had never lost less than 90 games, and on the other you have Cubs...who haven't been to a World Series since 1945 and haven't won one since 1908. There's two feel good stories meeting head-on.

For me it's still easy, I'd pull for Chicago. It all comes down to the fan bases, Chicago has a huge one that travels well (like the Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals), while Tampa Bay can't get 15,000 in the Trop most nights. I keep tabs on the Rays from time to time and it sickens me to see the Trop less than half filled at a time when they are in first place and playing their asses off. Tampa Florida doesn't deserve a World Series championship.

I'm thinking Fox is hoping for Red Sox/Cubs or White Sox/Cubs as a second choice (but we all know how "well" the last intercity World Series went for them).

Offline metaldams

It is disgraceful concerning the lack of attendance at Rays games.  In theory, this season should help the Rays fan base the same way the '67 Red Sox helped Boston, but sadly, people just don't care down there.  This shouldn't be a shock, as the Marlins won two World Series and people still don't care! 

That said, even though they have a bad team this year, there are a lot of Braves fans in Florida.  My Aunt's been living in Boca Raton for about 30 years, and she's a die hard Braves fan, long before the Florida teams came around.  She's not about to change colors, and think that holds true for a lot of older Florida baseball fans.  A shame though, 'cause Tampa has an awesome team this year.  I don't think they've lost a series since the all-star break.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Darkhoarse820

...even though they have a bad team this year, there are a lot of Braves fans in Florida.  My Aunt's been living in Boca Raton for about 30 years, and she's a die hard Braves fan, long before the Florida teams came around.  She's not about to change colors, and think that holds true for a lot of older Florida baseball fans.  A shame though, 'cause Tampa has an awesome team this year.  I don't think they've lost a series since the all-star break.

My family is the same way.  They're all from the mid-Eastern Alabama area, yet they all migrated to Louisana, Tennessee, Florida and Georgia.  If they pay any attention to it...all Braves fans.  No question there.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The thing with the Braves is, although they seem to have a lot of fans they also have a lot of fans that don't give a shit enough to go see a game. The vast majority of their fans live in the southeast, so they don't travel well, and I can clearly remember playoff games at Turner Field that were nowhere near sold out.

Playoff games should be sold out no matter where you are.

Tampa is actually is a good sports town (believe it or not the Lightning are near the top of attendance in the NHL...yes, hockey in Florida): what's hurt the Rays as far as attendance goes is not just Braves fans but the years of losing and also having the Yankees corporate headquarters there. I think they also still have a single A club there (Tampa Yankees). They should be required to move the single A team because having a minor league club in the same city as an MLB club is stupid.

When I was in Tennessee I learned that MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL etc. are not at all big down there. Not really having a team nearby they had an interesting selection from the Cards, Reds and Braves (I was on the western side) and I was never sure which was considered the "local" team (might have to look it up). The huge sports down there are college football and NASCAR (coughnotasportcough).

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hey Doug, I have a question regarding blackouts on the extra innings package. You're really not that far from me so I was wondering, what teams' games get blacked out over there? Over here it's the Orioles and Nationals. Also, for those teams that get blacked out; do you get them on your local cable channels? I get the O's and Nats because they are on the same channel, MASN. If the games are being played concurrently they move one of them over to "MASN 2" which is not actually a station but it's what they call the broadcast of the game that gets moved over to a local station (this meaning "MASN 2" is different stations on different cable companies, but not a concrete channel per se...am I making sense?).

Since the Red Sox are playing the Orioles today I'm going to see if the online p2p stream is going to have the NESN broadcast (which will be blacked out here since they want you to watch the local broadcast). If not then that's ok since the Orioles broadcast team is pretty good (definitely better than the Yankees or White Sox broadcast teams, which blow).