Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 89367

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Yeah, and Tampa Bay which we always could count on to keep us out of the cellar in the AL East is gonna be good this year from what I've read.

Well maybe a year or two in last place will make the lousy owner stop pissing about and try to do something to regain the respect of a once proud team and its fans.

Robin

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Cleveland Indians

2007 Payroll: $61.6 million, 23rd in MLB

2007 Record: 96-66, 1st Place AL Central

Defeated NYY in 2007 ALDS 3-1
Lost to BOS in 2007 ALCS 4-3

Key Transactions:Signed RP Masahide Kobayashi

Projected Lineup/age
C Victor Martinez/29
1B Ryan Garko/27
2B Asdrubal Cabrera/22
3B Casey Blake/34
SS Jhonny Peralta/25
LF Jason Michaels/31
CF Grady Sizemore/25
RF Franklin Gutierrez/25
DH Travis Hafner/30

Starting Rotation:
C.C. Sabathia/27
Fausto Carmona/24
Paul Byrd/37
Jake Westbrook/30
Aaron Laffey/22

Relief Pitching:
Rafael Bettancourt/32
Masahide Kobayashi/33
Aaron Fultz/34
Tom Mastny/27
Rafael Perez/25
Joe Borowski, closer/36

Much like Boston, the 2008 Cleveland Indians managed to keep their core intact from the previous season. They have what is arguably the best 1-2 punch in the starting rotation, and the rest of the rotation is solid as well. Two highly touted prospects are penciled into the rotation and lineup respectively in Laffey and Cabrera. Speaking of the lineup, it's one of the most dangerous in baseball with plenty of power and speed. The bullpen is strong as well, but Borowski is going to have to improve on his ERA lest he lose the closer spot to one of the Rafaels.

It's pretty much a coin flip between the Indians and DET in the AL Central this season, but for right now I'm going to give the Tribe the advantage. We could see another long post season run.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Colorado Rockies

2007 Payroll: $54.4 million, 25th in MLB

2007 Record: 90-73, 2nd Place NL West, NL Wild Card

Defeated PHI in 2007 NLDS 3-0
Defeated ARI in 2007 NLCS 4-0
Lost to BOS in 2007 World Series 4-0

Key Transactions: None to speak of

Projected Lineup/age:
C Yorvit Torrealba/29
1B Todd Helton/34
2B Jayson Nix/25
3B Garrett Atkins/28
SS Troy Tulowitzki/23
LF Matt Holliday/28
CF Willy Tavarez/26
RF Brad Hawpe/28

Starting Rotation:
Jeff Francis/27
Aaron Cook/29
Ubaldo Jimenez/24
Jason Hersh/26
Franklin Morales/22

Relief Pitching:
Brian Fuentes/32
Taylor Bucholz/26
Ryan Speier/28
Matt Herges/37
Jose Capellan/27
Manny Corpas, closer/25

The Rockies, for the most part, kept the hand they were dealt in '07 for this year's campaign. What a great hand it is with that killer lineup featuring Holliday, Tulowitzki, Helton, Atkins and Hawpe. It'll be interesting to see how well Nix does at 2B. The starting rotation is solid at best with no real lights out ace to lead the way. Perhaps Jimenez will step up and fill that roll. The bullpen is the biggest riddle for the Rockies to solve; a dominant closer would be nice.

The Rockies have the tools needed to compete in a tough NL West, but other teams in the division and the league have improved. At the moment I don't see Colorado making the playoffs, but they definately could as either division champs or the wild card.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Detroit Tigers

2007 Payroll: $95.1 million, 9th in MLB

2007 Record: 88-74, 2nd AL Central

Key Transactions: Acquired 3B Miguel Cabrera and SP Dontrelle Willis from FLA, acquired SS Edgar Renteria from ATL

Projected Lineup/age
C Ivan Rodriguez/36
1B Carlos Guillen/32
2B Placido Polanco/32
3B Miguel Cabrera/24
SS Edgar Renteria/32
LF Jacque Jones/32
CF Curtis Granderson/27
RF Magglio Ordonez/34
DH Gary Sheffield/39

Starting Rotation
Justin Verlander/25
Jeremy Bonderman/25
Kenny Rogers/43
Dontrelle Willis/25
Nate Robertson/30

Relief Pitching:
Fernando Rodney/31
Jason Grilli/31
Bobby Seay/29
Tim Byrdak/34
Zack Miner/26
Todd Jones, closer/39

The Tigers lineup scares the living shit out of me and an argument could be made that it is the best in MLB from top to bottom. Detroit pretty much mortgaged their long term future to win immediately, and they definately got the tools to do that. The starting rotation presents a bit of a problem after Verlander. Questions abound, such as does the 43 year old Kenny Rogers have another good season left? Will the D-Train be able to turn it around after a down year...and do so in a much tougher league for pitchers? Bonderman and Robertson both need to pick up some slack if Detroit intends on dethroning CLE as well.

But man...look at that fucking lineup. I am impressed. I tentatively have the Tigers winning the AL Wild Card, but the rotation behind Verlander has to right itself.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Tomorrow I'll do the Marlins, Astros, Royals, Angels, and Dodgers early, then the next five late.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Zumaya (100+ mph fastball) is expected back for the 2nd half of the season.

Todd Jones is the only closer I know that can take a 5-run lead and cause 40,000+ fans in the stands to have heart attacks.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline metaldams

Zumaya (100+ mph fastball) is expected back for the 2nd half of the season.

Todd Jones is the only closer I know that can take a 5-run lead and cause 40,000+ fans in the stands to have heart attacks.

James

Yeah, seriously, it's a shame Zumaya has been hurt so much, because I can't see any other reason on God's green Earth why Todd Jones is still closer.  Your rivals The Indians are also weak in the closer department with Joe Borowski.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Yeah, tell me about it.  The Orioles haven't had a great season in years, Pitching always sucks and they spend money and Still suck.  Hmm, wish Cal Ripken could come back, At least he was good for the team and baseball in general.

Robin
(dissapointed near Baltimore resident)

I always go to a Red Sox Vs. Orioles game in Camden every year, and it's really true it's Fenway Park South.  What a pitiful organization this team is, and it saddens me.  I live in northern Delaware and get all the Orioles games, and the saddest moment of the season was when babe Ruth's adopted daughter was a guest announcer (The Bambino was born in Baltimore and his birth place is near Camden Yards).  Anyway, the first thing out of her mouth is how disappointed she is with the Baltimore fans and that they need to support their team when they're down.  Ouch!

No Bedard and Tejada equals an even worse team.  Nick Markakis is a great young player, Brian Roberts is a great lead off man, and Jeremy Guthrie's a good pitcher, but there's not much else.  Daniel Cabrerra has been one of those guys who was supposed to come around years ago, yet he STILL can't find the strike zone to save his life.  I think he's a head case myself, as his 6'7" ass tried to pick a fight with 5'7" Dustin Pedroia last season.  What a coward.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I share these tidbits of trivia from Voices of Summer-Ranking Baseball's 101 All-Time Best Announcers by Curt Smith...

P. 87: "'Ernie (Harwell) was that good,' said (Atlanta Crackers) owner Earl Mann. In 1948, Branch Rickey asked to release him when Red Barber's ulcer hemorrhaged. 'I won't stand in his way,' Mann said. 'But first I want Cliff Dapper,' Brooklyn's Triple-A catcher."

(Radio announcer Ernie Harwell [ranked 3rd] became the first announcer-player trade! Now the funny part...)

P. 88: "Coogan's remote booth lacked a toilet. Urinating in paper cups, Russ (Hodges) and Ernie placed them in the corner. One visitor accidentally kicked a cup, leaking liquid into lower boxes. 'Hey!' usher Barney O'Toole said. 'We're getting complaints. People said to quit spilling beer.' The beer, Harwell winked, was used. 'We'll be careful, but don't tell the folks what hit 'em."  :o

Ernie (90) and his wife are still active and live in a retirement community in Novi MI. Last year, he released a 4-CD Audio "Scrapbook". Available at http://www.eharwell.com/ . If anything, check out the 4 audio clips on the website. History.

James

This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Florida Marlins

2007 Payroll: $30.5 million, 29th in MLB

2007 Record: 71-91, 5th Place NL East

Key Transactions: Traded SP Dontrelle Willis and 3B Miguel Cabrera to DET, signed OF Luis Gonzales

Projected Lineup/age
C Mike Rabelo/28
1B Mike Jacobs/27
2B Dan Uggla/28
3B Jose Castillo/27
SS Hanley Ramirez/24
LF Josh Willingham/29
CF Cameron Maybin/20
RF Jeremy Hermida/24

Starting Rotation:
Scott Olsen/24
Sergio Mitre/27
Andrew Miller/22
Mark Hendrickson/33
Rick VandenHurk/22

Relief Pitching:
Justin Miller/30
Matt Lindstrom/28
Taylor Tankersley/25
Lee Gardner/33
Daniel Barone/24
Kevin Gregg, closer/29

The Florida Marlins 2008 payroll is projected to be even less than half of last season's, which would make them by far the cheapest team in MLB. I'm no front office wizard, but trading away your most recognizable players is not a way to improve pathetic attendance marks. The middle infield of Uggla and Ramirez is excellent, and closer Gregg is a good one. Other than that there is pretty much nothing more than a bunch of kids that should be in the minors. Look for washed-up Luis Gonzales to get some at bats.

I'm going to pencil the Marlins in at 50-55 wins this season, and make a suggestion that ownership move the team out of Miami, which is a horrible sports town.

Offline JazzBill

I don't see the Cubs winning the division this year. If they do, that would make it two years in a row. Living here in Chicago, you  know how rare that is. This is a special year for the " Lovable Losers ". It's been 100 years since they won their last Championship. Not that I care, I'm a White Sox fan.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline JazzBill

You hit the nail right on the head with the White Sox pitching. Bad move getting rid of Jon Garland and keeping Jose Contreras. Jose was stinking the place up last year and complaining when they wanted to put him in the bullpen. Now, this year in spring training, he's picking up right where he left off. If he's 36 years old, I'm the Pope. I bet he hasn't been 36 since he played with the Yankee's.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Houston Astros

2007 Payroll: $87.7 million, 14th in MLB

2007 Record:73-89, 4th Place NL Central

Key Transactions: Acquired SS Miguel Tejada from BAL, acquired RP Jose Valverde from ARI, signed 2B Kazuo Matsui, signed RP Shawn Chacon

Projected Lineup/age:
C J.R. Towles/24
1B Lance Berkman/32
2B Kazuo Matsui/32
3B Ty Wigginton/30
SS Miguel Tejada/31
LF Carlos Lee/31
CF Michael Bourn/25
RF Hunter Pence/24

Starting Rotation:
Roy Oswalt/30
Wandy Rodriguez/29
Brandon Backe/29
Woody Williams/41
Shawn Chacon/30

Relief Pitching:
Doug Brocail/40
Geoff Geary/31
Oscar Villarreal/26
Chris Sampson/29
Dave Borkowski/31
Jose Valverde, closer/28

The 2008 Houston Astros have a strong lineup with Lee, Tejada, Berkman, and Wgginton: Pence is also a star in the making. The rotation after Oswalt is severely lacking, you'd think with all the offseason moves they made they would have went after a decent starter. If you have Shawn Chacon penciled in your 5th starter you'd be better off going with a 4 man rotation. Also, Woody Williams wasn't much in his prime; I'm suprised he's still playing.

The Houston bullpen is mediocre at best, and it will be difficult to bridge the gap from the starter to Valverde, who is a great closer. The Astros should duke it out with the Brewers, Reds, and Cardinals for second place in the NL Central.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The NL Central is so weak yet again this year, I don't see anyone but the Cubs winning it. They'll probably get swept out of the postseason again this year, but they'll win the division.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Kansas City Royals

2007 Payroll: $67.1 million, 22nd in MLB

2007 Record: 69-93, 5th Place AL Central

Key Transactions: Signed OF Jose Guillen

Projected Lineup/age:
C John Buck/27
1B Ross Gload/31
2B Mark Grudzielanek/37
3B Alex Gordon/24
SS Tony Pena Jr./27
LF Mark Teahan/26
CF David DeJesus/28
RF Jose Guillen/31
DH Billy Butler/21

Starting Rotation:
Gil Meche/29
Brian Bannister/27
Zack Greinke/24
Kyle Davies/24
Jorge De La Rosa/26

Relief Pitching:
Jimmy Gobble/26
Joel Peralta/31
Ron Mahay/36
Yasuhiko Yabuta/34
John Bale/33
Joakim Soria, closer/23

Surprisingly enough, the Kansas City Royals have a decent rotation 1-3 with Meche, Bannister and Greinke. The ass end of the rotation needs improving, and I would expect Gobble to show up there during the season. Closer Soria looks quite promising and has great stuff while the rest of the bullpen is pathetic.

KC's biggest problem is their lineup and its lack of power. Major head case Guillen was the only player currently on the team to hit more than 20 home runs last year. If the Royals could get some true power in their lineup I would be saying they'd get out of the cellar, but with the lineup being what it is I don't see that happening. They'll probably have the best record for a last place team in the AL.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (in the state of California, United States of America, on the continent of North America, planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, the Universe)

2007 Payroll: $109.2 million, 4th in MLB

2007 Record: 94-68, 1st Place AL West

Lost to BOS in 2007 ALDS 3-0

Key Transactions: Acquired SP Jon Garland from CWS for SS Orlando Cabrera, signed CF Torii Hunter

Projected Lineup/age:
C Mike Napoli/26
1B Casey Kotchman/25
2B Howie Kendrick/24
3B Chone Figgins/30
SS Erick Aybar/24
LF Garrett Anderson/35
CF Torii Hunter/32
RF Vladimir Guerrero/32
DH Gary Matthews Jr./33

Starting Rotation:
John Lackey/29
Jon Garland/28
Jered Weaver/25
Joe Saunders/26
Ervin Santana/25

Relief Pitching:
Scot Shields/32
Justin Speier/34
Darren Oliver/37
Dustin Moseley/26
Jason Bulger/29
Francisco Rodriguez, closer/26

Adding Jon Garland to the rotation has only made the strong Angels starting rotation even stronger, and the bullpen, while a bit long in the tooth is strong as well. K-Rod is one of the top five closers in the league, and when he comes in with the lead you can usually feel confident that the game is in the bag.

The lineup got stronger with Hunter backing up Vlad, but there's nothing much after that. Look for the overrated and overpaid Matthews to take over LF from the broken down Anderson. Juan Rivera should play a key role off the bench as ESPN.com haqs him as the starting DH for some reason. Thier pitching should carry them to another AL West title after duking it out with SEA, but with the likes of BOS, CLE, and possible NYY or DET looming in the postseason I don't expect them to hang around long.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles

2007 Payroll: $108.4 million, 6th in MLB

2007 Record: 82-80, 4th Place NL West

Key Transactions: Signed OF Andruw Jones

Projected Lineup/age:
C Russell Martin/25
1B James Loney/23
2B Jeff Kent/40
3B Nomar Garciaparra/34
SS Rafael Furcal/30
LF Juan Pierre/30
CF Andruw Jones/30
RF Matt Kemp/23

Starting Rotation:
Brad Penny/29
Derek Lowe/34
Chad Billingsley/23
Hiroki Kuroda/33
Esteban Loaiza/36

Relief Pitching:
Jonathan Broxton/23
Joe Beimel/30
Scott Proctor/31
Jon Meloan/23
Eric Hull/28
Takashi Saito, closer/38

New manager Joe Torre has a few issues to address before the Dodgers are playoff ready. The biggest being when will SP Jason Schmidt be able to contribute? The starting rotation can definately use him in a tough NL West. Penny is lights out, but the rest of the rotation is lackluster at best. The bullpen may be an issue...I'm surprised Proctor isn't on the scrap heap yet. It'll be interesting to see if the 38 year old Saito can match his 2007 showing.

The lineup is lethal; Loney is a stud as are Furcal and Jones. At this point I wouldn't expect Nomar to get his power stroke back, but he will get on base for you. Martin is shaping up to be one of the best catchers in MLB, but Pierre is vastly overrated. The Dodgers will be in thick of the NL West race, but without Schmidt healthy they should come up short.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Later tonight I'll put up the Brewers, Twins, Mets, Yankees and A's.

Offline Justin T

The NL Central is so weak yet again this year, I don't see anyone but the Cubs winning it. They'll probably get swept out of the postseason again this year, but they'll win the division.

I totally agree, its a very weak division and it seems the Cubs are the best of the bunch for now. I won't be suprised if they
win the Central again this year.

And I will echo your spot on analysis on the White Sox pitching.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Justin T

In relation to previous discussion about the Yankees Young Pitchers, here is a nice article from
the blog of ESPN's Rob Neyer about the unusual stance the Yanks are taking by relying on
3 young pitchers to make a run for the World Series.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob&entryDate=20080316

But only Insiders can read the whole thing, so here is a part of the same discussion coming from
Peter Gammons blog, talking about all the young pitching talent in the AL East this season.

Young pitchers will shape AL East

Phil Hughes has looked dominant this spring. "He was," says one GM, "the best player on the board in the Johan Santana talks."

Ian Kennedy has looked like a young Mike Boddicker, an artist. We have seen Joba Chamberlain, and there is a very good chance that Ross Ohlendorf will be a significant setup part of the Yankees' bullpen.

The esteemed Bill Madden of the New York Daily News checked with the Elias Sports Bureau and found that no team has won the World Series with two rookies starting 25 games. Indeed, there is a lot of pressure on Hughes, Kennedy, Chamberlain and Ohlendorf, but what is so different in the American League East is that the three teams that can win the division -- and you might be surprised by how many people on the west coast of Florida believe that the Jays have a legitimate chance to win the division -- are all dependent on young pitchers.

Toronto is dependent on 25-year old Dustin McGowan and 26-year-old Shaun Marcum. Scouts who saw closer B.J. Ryan this week say he was as good as he ever was, which makes Jeremy Accardo (30 saves, 2.14 ERA) even more significant. "If A.J. Burnett can make 30 starts," says a GM, "they can be right in it." One AL hitting coach says "Marcum and McGowan (who were 24-16 combined) can be as good as anyone. That pitching is good enough to win."

Boston has Jon Lester, who is essentially a rookie given his time off due to chemotherapy, as the No. 2 starter. Clay Buchholz is going to end up being important. Manny Delcarmen had a monster spring.

"This division can be decided by whose young pitchers come forward the strongest," says one GM. "The fact that McGowan and Marcum had 52 starts between them last year makes them even more dangerous if Burnett and Ryan are healthy."

Yankees GM Brian Cashman has said all winter that as he watched Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Lester and Jonathan Papelbon clinch the World Series, he was further convinced that teams can win with young players. Throw in Tampa Bay with Scott Kazmir, James Shields, Matt Garza and the rest of their emerging young pitching, and the game's best division has become the young power arms division.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I like the fact their willing to buck the trend and trying to rely more on homegrown talent then
blow millions that aren't nessecary *COUGH*f'n A-Rod *COUGH*

Will it work? As a Yankee fan I will have to wait and see....
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

In relation to previous discussion about the Yankees Young Pitchers, here is a nice article from
the blog of ESPN's Rob Neyer about the unusual stance the Yanks are taking by relying on
3 young pitchers to make a run for the World Series.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob&entryDate=20080316

But only Insiders can read the whole thing, so here is a part of the same discussion coming from
Peter Gammons blog, talking about all the young pitching talent in the AL East this season.

Young pitchers will shape AL East

Phil Hughes has looked dominant this spring. "He was," says one GM, "the best player on the board in the Johan Santana talks."

Ian Kennedy has looked like a young Mike Boddicker, an artist. We have seen Joba Chamberlain, and there is a very good chance that Ross Ohlendorf will be a significant setup part of the Yankees' bullpen.

The esteemed Bill Madden of the New York Daily News checked with the Elias Sports Bureau and found that no team has won the World Series with two rookies starting 25 games. Indeed, there is a lot of pressure on Hughes, Kennedy, Chamberlain and Ohlendorf, but what is so different in the American League East is that the three teams that can win the division -- and you might be surprised by how many people on the west coast of Florida believe that the Jays have a legitimate chance to win the division -- are all dependent on young pitchers.

Toronto is dependent on 25-year old Dustin McGowan and 26-year-old Shaun Marcum. Scouts who saw closer B.J. Ryan this week say he was as good as he ever was, which makes Jeremy Accardo (30 saves, 2.14 ERA) even more significant. "If A.J. Burnett can make 30 starts," says a GM, "they can be right in it." One AL hitting coach says "Marcum and McGowan (who were 24-16 combined) can be as good as anyone. That pitching is good enough to win."

Boston has Jon Lester, who is essentially a rookie given his time off due to chemotherapy, as the No. 2 starter. Clay Buchholz is going to end up being important. Manny Delcarmen had a monster spring.

"This division can be decided by whose young pitchers come forward the strongest," says one GM. "The fact that McGowan and Marcum had 52 starts between them last year makes them even more dangerous if Burnett and Ryan are healthy."

Yankees GM Brian Cashman has said all winter that as he watched Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Lester and Jonathan Papelbon clinch the World Series, he was further convinced that teams can win with young players. Throw in Tampa Bay with Scott Kazmir, James Shields, Matt Garza and the rest of their emerging young pitching, and the game's best division has become the young power arms division.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I like the fact their willing to buck the trend and trying to rely more on homegrown talent then
blow millions that aren't nessecary *COUGH*f'n A-Rod *COUGH*

Will it work? As a Yankee fan I will have to wait and see....

Those great late 90's Yankee teams were a combination of youth and veterans.  The 2007 Red Sox were follwing that model and won a World Series.  Youth, combined with veterans, are indeed important.  It's also true Toronto and Tampa Bay have bright futures, it's just a shame Baltimore can't join in.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Those great late 90's Yankee teams were a combination of youth and veterans.  The 2007 Red Sox were follwing that model and won a World Series.  Youth, combined with veterans, are indeed important.  It's also true Toronto and Tampa Bay have bright futures, it's just a shame Baltimore can't join in.

Yes indeed, the late 90's Yankess won 4 World Series in 5 years because of that formula. They drifted away from it during the early part of this
decade but I think they are finally starting to go back to it.

Toronto and Tampa are learning and doing well to catch up to NY and Boston, and yeah its a shame that Baltimore isn't.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Milwaukee Brewers

2007 Payroll: $70.9 million, 19th in MLB

2007 Record: 83-79, 2nd NL Central

Key Transactions: Signed RP Eric Gagne, signed C Jason Kendall, signed CF Mike Cameron

Projected Lineup/age:
C Jason Kendall/33
1B Prince Fielder/23
2B Rickie Weeks/25
3B Bill Hall/28
SS J.J. Hardy/25
LF Ryan Braun/24
CF Mike Cameron/35
RF Corey Hart/25

Starting Rotation:
Ben Sheets/29
Jeff Suppan/33
Carlos Villanueva/24
Dave Bush/28
Chris Capuano/29

Relief Pitching:
Derrick Turnbow/30
David Riske/31
Salomon Torres/35
Brian Shouse/39
Seth McClung/29
Eric Gagne, closer/32

The franchise in the smallest market in MLB has a bright future if they can keep their promising young nucleus together and make a few adjustments. The lineup rivals any in the National League, featuring plenty of pop with Fielder, Braun, Hart, and multiple gold glover Cameron. I've always thought Kendall is a bit overrated behind the plate, but apparently Milwaukee doesn't. The bullpen, while a bit long in the tooth, is strong...Riske was a great pick up. Which Gagne will show up? For the Brewers' sake I hope it's not the Gagne that showed up in Boston.

The glaring sore spot for Milwaukee is the starting rotation. Sheets is awesome when healthy and Suppan is battle-tested veteran that is consistent. The rest of the rotation would probably either be in the minors or emergency long relief if on other teams. It is possible that Milwaukee could dethrone CHC in a weak NL Central, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Minnesota Twins

2007 Payroll: $71.4 million, 18th in MLB

2007 Record: 79-83, 3rd Place AL Central

Key Transactions: Traded SP Johan Santana to NYM, acquired OF Delmon Young, signed SP Livan Hernandez

Projected Lineup/age
C Joe Mauer/24
1B Justin Morneau/26
2B Brendan Harris/27
3B Mike Lamb/32
SS Adam Everett/31
LF Delmon Young/22
CF Carlos Gomez/22
RF Michael Cuddyer/29
DH Jason Kubel/25

Starting Rotation:
Livan Hernandez/33
Francisco Liriano/24
Boof Bonser/26
Scott Baker/26
Kevin Slowey/23

Relief Pitching:
Juan Rincon/29
Jesse Crain/26
Pat Neshak/27
Matt Guerrier/29
Dennys Reyes/30
Joe Nathan, closer/33

The Minnesota Twins, along with OAK, are a great example of what's wrong with baseball. Skinflint owners who don't even try to resign players once they become "too good". The departure of Santana leaves the rotation in shambles. Liriano is a stud and Hernandez will eat innings, and Bonser shows promise; still, Livan is big step step down from Johan. The bullpen is solid, and Nathan is a great closer. The lineup leaves a lot to be desired, the only bright spots being Mauer and Morneau. Perhaps Young will make something of himself. Look for the Twinkies to slip further down the standings.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
New York Mets

2007 Payroll: $115.2 million, 3rd in MLB

2007 Record: 88-74, 2nd Place NL East

Key Transactions: Acquired SP Johan Santana from MIN, acquired OF Ryan Church and C Brian Schneider from WAS for OF Lastings Milledge

Projected Lineup/age:
C Brian Schneider/31
1B Carlos Delgado/35
2B Luis Castillo/32
3B David Wright/25
SS Jose Reyes/24
LF Endy Chavez/30
CF Carlos Beltran/30
RF Ryan Church/29

Starting Rotation:
Johan Santana/29
Pedro Martinez/36
John Maine/26
Oliver Perez/26
Orlando Hernandez/38

Relief Pitching:
Aaron Heilman/29
Pedro Feliciano/31
Duaner Sanchez/28
Scott Schoeneweis/34
Jorge Sosa/30
Billy Wagner. closer/36

After the monumental collapse of the New York Mets in 2007, they made the biggest hot stove move of them all in acquiring perhaps the best pitcher in the game. Upon further review, I might have to go back on my earlier prognostication of the Mets winning their division. Look at the rotation after Johan; Pedro hasn't been Pedro since 2003, Maine and Perez are "meh" at best, and if El Duque is only 38 then I have a vagina.

It goes without saying that the lineup is awe-inspiring for the most part, definitely the most star-studded in the NL. The bullpen could use some tweaking, to say the least. I, like most others, was perhaps a bit hasty in crowing the Mets the heir apparents to the NL Pennant, but they do have a great chance to be. Winning the World Series is another story altogether.