Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 86057

Offline Pat The Stooge

Well looking only at several NL teams, I'd say both the Cubs and the Dodgers have a pretty strong chance of leading the NL division with Yankee's Joe Torre now coaching the Dodgers and with a strong season for the Cubs.

As for the Houston Astros, things might be looking a bit better for them this year. 3B Berkman is recovering from his hitting slump from last year and Lee is scoring more runs and left field hits, but I think the biggest most unusual part of the team is thier NEW Japanese second baseman Kazhiko Matsui who's been preforming strongly in the spring training he shows alot of promise, now all the Astros have to do is fix thier broken bullpen.

Here's how I see it:

NL West.
5. Rockies.
4. Diamondbacks.
3. Giants.
2. Padres.
1. L.A. Dodgers.

NL Central.
5. Brewers.
4.Cardinals.
3.Reds.
2. Astros.
1. Cubs.

NL East.

5. Marlins.
4. Nets.
3. Nationals.
2. Braves.
1.Phllilies.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
New York Yankees

2007 Payroll: $189.6 million, 1st in MLB

2007 Record: 94-68, 2nd Place AL East, AL Wild Card

Lost to CLE in 2007 ALDS 3-1

Key Transactions: none to speak of

Projected Lineup/age:
C Jorge Posada/36
1B Jason Giambi/37
2B Robinson Cano/25
3B Alex Rodriguez/32
SS Derek Jeter/33
LF Johnny Damon/34
CF Melky Cabrera/23
RF Bobby Abreu/33
DH Hideki Matsui/33

Starting Rotation:
Chien-Ming Wang/28
Andy Pettitte/35
Phil Hughes/21
Mike Mussina/39
Ian Kennedy/23

Relief Pitching:
Joba Chamberlain/22
LaTroy Hawkins/35
Kyle Farnsworth/31
Brian Bruney/25
Edwar Ramirez/27
Mariano Rivera, closer/38

*note: I will attempt to be completely unbiased despite my affiliation as a Red Sox fan

What catches my eye the most when looking at the 2008 New York Yankees, which is basically the same team as the year before, is the overall ages. I believe they have the most players over 30 of all the teams I have covered so far. The lineup is killer, but in my opinion has been usurped by Detroit for the best overall lineup in MLB. Giambi is nothing with his juices and cremes, Damon without his beard is like Samson without hair, and after a long, injury-free run Matsui has been awfully injury-prone as of late. Jeter always plays beyond his abilities, Cano is a very good second baseman, and A-Rod will be A-Rod, playing for the New York A-Rod's again this year.

I'm amazed the Yanks didn't go after some arms, in particular one middle rotation guy and some decent bullpen arms. Mussina is spent, bag him and tag him. HGH Pettitte hasn't been the same since left the Bronx the first time, so the young arms need to step up immediately or else the Yanks will have to win every game 15-14. Aside from Joba and Rivera the bullpen is an absolute wreck. The MFY will win 90-95 games and possibly pick up the wild card again. If they do, look for another first round exit unless mid-season moves are made.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well looking only at several NL teams, I'd say both the Cubs and the Dodgers have a pretty strong chance of leading the NL division with Yankee's Joe Torre now coaching the Dodgers and with a strong season for the Cubs.

As for the Houston Astros, things might be looking a bit better for them this year. 3B Berkman is recovering from his hitting slump from last year and Lee is scoring more runs and left field hits, but I think the biggest most unusual part of the team is thier NEW Japanese second baseman Kazhiko Matsui who's been preforming strongly in the spring training he shows alot of promise, now all the Astros have to do is fix thier broken bullpen.

Here's how I see it:

NL West.
5. Rockies.
4. Diamondbacks.
3. Giants.
2. Padres.
1. L.A. Dodgers.

NL Central.
5. Brewers.
4.Cardinals.
3.Reds.
2. Astros.
1. Cubs.

NL East.

5. Marlins.
4. Nets.
3. Nationals.
2. Braves.
1.Phllilies.

Wow, so the Nats and Braves are going to finish ahead of the Mets and the Giants are going to finish third? Matsui may be new to Houston but he's been around awhile, having played for the Mets and the NL Champion Rockies.

Are you sure you watch baseball? Who lists the standings from last to first anyway?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
PS: The Nets are a basketball team.

Offline metaldams

Wow, so the Nats and Braves are going to finish ahead of the Mets and the Giants are going to finish third? Matsui may be new to Houston but he's been around awhile, having played for the Mets and the NL Champion Rockies.

Are you sure you watch baseball? Who lists the standings from last to first anyway?

Agreed.  The NL West is a four team race and the Giants are the only team not in it.  They have a couple of good young pitchers in Cain (can't remember an unluckier pitcher than him last season) and Linceum, but that line-up is weak as Hell.

No way the Mets, even without Johan Santana, are a fourth place team either.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Oakland Athletics

2007 Payroll: $79.3 million, 17th in MLB

2007 Record: 76-86, 3rd ALWest

Key Transactions: Traded SP Dan Haren to ARI, traded OF Nick Swisher to CWS, traded OF Mark Kotsay to ATL

Projected Lineup/age:
C Kurt Suzuki/24
1B Daric Barton/22
2B Mark Ellis/30
3B Eric Chavez/30
SS Bobby Crosby/28
LF Emil Brown/33
CF Chris Denorfia/27
RF Travis Buck/24
DH Jack Cust/29

Starting Rotation:
Joe Blanton/27
Rich Harden/26
Chad Gaudin/25
Justin Duchscherer/30
Lenny DiNardo/28

Relief Pitching:
Kiko Calero/33
Keith Foulke/35
Alan Embree/38
Santiago Casilla/27
Dallas Braden/24
Huston Street, closer/24

In stark contrast to the Yankees the A's have alot of youth on their roster...perhaps too much. I don't believe GM Billy Beane is expecting this team to compete this year. The way Oakland traded off their best players last year it makes me wonder if Charlie Finley didn't come back from the dead and resume ownership. The starting rotation is solid in the front end with Harden and Blanton, and the bullpen is the one department filled with veterans. I wonder how much Foulke and Embree have left in their tanks, but they should be good influences on all of those kids. The lineup is light hitting, so I don't see the A's blowing out anybody.

It's a shame ownership won't pony up the dough to keep at least some of their talent, and they have provided other teams with lots of stars over the years. Look for Oakland to lose 90+ games and battle Texas for the AL West cellar.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Up next: Phillies, Pirates, Padres, Giants, Mariners

Offline Justin T

New York Yankees

2007 Payroll: $189.6 million, 1st in MLB

2007 Record: 94-68, 2nd Place AL East, AL Wild Card

Lost to CLE in 2007 ALDS 3-1

Key Transactions: none to speak of

Projected Lineup/age:
C Jorge Posada/36
1B Jason Giambi/37
2B Robinson Cano/25
3B Alex Rodriguez/32
SS Derek Jeter/33
LF Johnny Damon/34
CF Melky Cabrera/23
RF Bobby Abreu/33
DH Hideki Matsui/33

Starting Rotation:
Chien-Ming Wang/28
Andy Pettitte/35
Phil Hughes/21
Mike Mussina/39
Ian Kennedy/23

Relief Pitching:
Joba Chamberlain/22
LaTroy Hawkins/35
Kyle Farnsworth/31
Brian Bruney/25
Edwar Ramirez/27
Mariano Rivera, closer/38

*note: I will attempt to be completely unbiased despite my affiliation as a Red Sox fan

What catches my eye the most when looking at the 2008 New York Yankees, which is basically the same team as the year before, is the overall ages. I believe they have the most players over 30 of all the teams I have covered so far. The lineup is killer, but in my opinion has been usurped by Detroit for the best overall lineup in MLB. Giambi is nothing with his juices and cremes, Damon without his beard is like Samson without hair, and after a long, injury-free run Matsui has been awfully injury-prone as of late. Jeter always plays beyond his abilities, Cano is a very good second baseman, and A-Rod will be A-Rod, playing for the New York A-Rod's again this year.

I'm amazed the Yanks didn't go after some arms, in particular one middle rotation guy and some decent bullpen arms. Mussina is spent, bag him and tag him. HGH Pettitte hasn't been the same since left the Bronx the first time, so the young arms need to step up immediately or else the Yanks will have to win every game 15-14. Aside from Joba and Rivera the bullpen is an absolute wreck. The MFY will win 90-95 games and possibly pick up the wild card again. If they do, look for another first round exit unless mid-season moves are made.

Thanks for that nice and balenced look at the Yankees. I wish they had gone after Santana harder, and I do think they need to make a trade or two
before the All Star Break to help shore up the pitching some more.

The only other lineup that impresses besides the Yanks is Detriot's, theirs is VERY damn good and you can make a good argument its prob the best
in the AL when compared to NY and Boston's lineups.

I'm really looking foward to seeing how Hughes, Kennedy and Joba do this season. That's going to be one of the keys all right.

Very nice job Shemps.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Thanks for the compliment, Justin. I was worried going into that one that I would be too biased, but when you look at them at them on paper the Yankees need some work. Especially considering the improvements Detroit and Seattle have made.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Philadelphia Phillies

2007 Payroll: $89.4 million, 13th in MLB

2007 Record: 89-73, 1st Place NL East

Lost to COL in 2007 NLDS 3-0

Key Transactions: Signed OF Geoff Jenkins, acquired RP Brad Lidge from HOU

Projected Lineup/age:
C Carlos Ruiz/29
1B Ryan Howard/28
2B Chase Utley/29
3B Pedro Feliz/32
SS Jimmy Rollins/29
LF Pat Burrell/31
CF Shane Victorino/27
RF Geoff Jenkins/33

Starting Rotation:
Cole Hamels/24
Brett Myers/27
Jamie Moyer/45
Kyle Kendrick/23
Adam Eaton/30

Relief Pitching:
Tom Gordon/40
J.C. Romero/31
Ryan Madson/27
Clay Condrey/32
Mike Zagurski/25
Brad Lidge, closer/31

The 2008 Philadelphia Phillies are a very balanced team. They have youth and experience, speed and power, pitching and defense. The addition of Jenkins adds more pop to an already potent lineup featuring Howard, Utley and Rollins. The starting rotation is very goos as well, with young stud Hamels leading the way and veteran Moyer should be a good influence who can still pitch. The bullpen is a good one, Flash Gordon can still go, and Lidge is a great pickup for closer.

I usually hate to go back on my word, but not this time. Although the Mets are the attractive choice after picking up Santana I think the Phillies should be considered the front runners in the NL East...and the National League as a whole.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Pittsburgh Pirates

2007 Payroll: $38.5 million, 27th in MLB

2007 Record: 68-94, 6th Place NL Central

Projected Lineup/age:
C Ronny Paulino/26
1B Adam LaRoche/28
2B Freddy Sanchez/30
3B Jose Bautista/27
SS Jack Wilson/30
LF Jason Bay/29
CF Nate McLouth/26
RF Xavier Nady/29

Starting Rotation:
Tom Gorzelanny/25
Ian Snell/26
Paul Maholm/25
Matt Morris/33
Zach Duke/24

Relief Pitching:
Damaso Marte/33
John Grabow/29
Byung-Hyun Kim/29
Evan Meek/24
Franquelis Osoria/26
Matt Capps, closer/24

I truely pity the long suffering fans of the Pittsburgh Pirates moreso than any other fans. Every other franchise that has been around since the 1992 season has had at least one good season since...that's the last year the Pirates were relevant. The future in the Steel City does not look to get any brighter, what with a tightwad owner and very little talent. The new ballpark may be beautiful, but the baseball being played there is going to be ugly once again.

While the lineup does have a bit of pop with Bay and LaRouche, and Sanchez will hit .300, the rest of the order is ho-hum at best. The rotation is atrocious and the bullpen is horrible with the exception of Capps, who will most likely not see too many save opportunities again. Despite being in the weakest division in MLB the Pirates are destined for last place once again.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
San Diego Padres

2007 Payroll: $58.1 million, 24th in MLB

2007 Record: 89-74, 3rd Place NL West

Key Transactions: Acquired OF Jim Edmunds from STL, signed 2B Tadahito Iguchi

Projected Lineup/age:
C Josh Bard/30
1B Adrian Gonzalez/25
2B Tadahito Iguchi/33
3B Kevin Kouzmanoff/26
SS Khalil Greene/29
LF Scott Hairston/27
CF Jim Edmunds/37
RF Brian Giles/37

Starting Rotation:
Jake Peavy/26
Chris Young/28
Greg Maddux/41
Randy Wolf/31
Mark Prior/27

Relief Pitching:
Heath Bell/30
Cla Meredith/24
Kevin Cameron/28
Justin Hampson/27
Carlos Guevara/26
Trevor Hoffman, closer/40

The rotation for the 2008 San Diego Padres is stellar to say the least, and if Prior remains healthy and returns to being the Prior of old it will be the best in MLB. The bullpen is shaky but probably will not see much action compared to other bullpens around the league. Trevor Hoffman is a question mark in my eyes: I wonder if the all time saves leader has enough left, especially after the disappointing end to last season.

After Gonzalez and Greene the lineup is rather light, but with that rotation you don't need much of a lineup. It must be difficult to attract sluggers to that pitchers park anyway. The Padres will be right in the thick of a lethal NL West race once again.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
San Francisco Giants

2007 Payroll: $90.21 million, 12th in MLB

2007 Record: 71-91, 5th Place NL West

Key Transactions: Signed OF Aaron Rowand

Projected Lineup/age:
C Bengie Molina/33
1B Dan Ortmeier/26
2B Ray Durham/36
3B Rich Aurilia/36
SS Omar Vizquel/40
LF Dave Roberts/35
CF Aaron Rowand/30
RF Randy Winn/33

Starting Rotation:
Barry Zito/29
Matt Cain/23
Tim Lincecum/23
Kevin Correia/27
Jonathan Sanchez/25

Relief Pitching:
Vinnie Chulk/29
Tyler Walker/31
Brad Hennessey/28
Steve Kline/35
Erick Threets/26
Brian Wilson, closer/26

The 2008 Giants are like the 2008 Yankees; plenty of age in the lineup. The major difference between the two teams is the Yanks lineup is loaded with talent while the Giants lineup is almost void of it. Every single Giant in the starting lineup save Ortmeier is at least in their 30's, and all but Ortmeier and Rowand are 33 or older. Keep in mind this is without Barry Bonds folks.

The rotation shows some promise with Cain and Linececum, and Zito should be able to turn around an off season in '07 and start justifying his gaudy contract. Still, with that decrepit and almost talentless lineup and a lousy bullpen, not to mention a weak looking ass-end of the rotation, the Giants look like the National League's version of the Baltimore Orioles. SF will be last place with a bullet in a tough NL West and should reach 95-100 losses or more.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Seattle Mariners

2007 Payroll: $106.4 million, 7th in MLB

2007 Record: 88-74, 2nd in AL West

Key Transactions: Acquired SP Erik Bedard from BAL, signed OF Brad Wilkerson, signed SP Carlos Silva

Projected Lineup/age:
C Kenji Johjima/31
1B Richie Sexson/33
2B Jose Lopez/24
3B Adrian Beltre/28
SS Yuniesky Betancourt/26
LF Raul Ibanez/35
CF Ichiro Suzuki/34
RF Brad Wilkerson/30
DH Jose Vidro/33

Starting Rotation:
Erik Bedard/29
Felix Hernandez/21
Carlos Silva/28
Jarrod Washburn/33
Miguel Batista/37

Relief Pitching:
Brandon Morrow/23
Sean White/26
Cesar Jimenez/23
Eric O'Flaherty/23
Cha Seung Baek/27
J.J. Putz, closer/31

The Seattle Mariners are most definately ready to contend in 2008. There is nary a weakness to be had in that lineup, led by perhaps the best pure hitter in the game in Ichiro. Brad "the last Expo" Wilkerson is a great, overlooked addition for his defensive prowess and the balls to the wall way he plays the game. The starting rotation is one of the top 5 in the game with strikeout king Bedard joining King Felix, whom will only get better. Silva is a great addition to the middle of the rotation, and most teams would love to have Washburn and Bautista for an ass end.

The one glaring weakness is the bullpen before closer extraordinaire J.J. Putz. It may have potential but is extremely green. The addition of a solid vet would probably work wonders. The Mariners will help muddy things up in the AL West and AL Wild Card races, and could possibly win one or the other.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'll wrap things up tomorrow with the Cardinals, Rays, Rangers, Blue Jays and Nationals.

Offline Pat The Stooge

Well yeah I do watch Baseball, while I'm NOT new to it at all, I used watch Baseball till they cancelled the world Series in 1994, I was so bitter I didn't start watching it a again until 2005.

My mistake, I met to say the Mets. And from what I've heard  things aren't looking to good for them this season with a low BA and sloppy bullpen they may fall victim to the Braves who have the unique ablility to take advantage of a teams poor bullpen.

As for on the AL side, I'd say the Mariners and Angels will have pretty good season in the AL West maybe the strong BA and I can recall Suzuki faring well against the White Sox despite their well balanced bullpen. To be honest I'd love to see the Mariners sweep the Sox in a 4 game streak. As for the Angels, they were remarkable last season and I look forward to see strong again in '08.

on the AL central, I honestly say I HATE the White Sox. I'd be much rather see thier manager Ozzie Gullien removed from team then to see them have another streak of pathetic errors and poor fielding. the rate of errors from thier baseman that would give the opposing team the upper hand last season was just laughable. It's going to be interesting to see how they'll fare against the Tigers and Indians, after all Dye was on DL for most of last season and considering that thier veteran CF Iguchi got traded last year(Do you know where?) I wonder how Swisher will fare in Iguchi's shoes?

The Indians seemed to have a strong season finishing first in the AL central, but could the Tigers overcome that close-but-no cigar season of 2007 and have another 2006 strong season? That's the million dollar question.

The AL East. There's no question about it, the Red sox are a force to be reconed with. Not only does the team now have two new modern WS titles 2004 and 2007, but thier batting lineup is amazing. Last year, they outhit every AL team. Will  the NEW lineup add fuel to the fire? only you know Shemps#1.

As for the Yankees well it's obvious thier heyday is over. I don't think we'll see another era of the team winning a handfull of titles like we did in the 1940's and 90s, rocked by scandal on thier bullpen with the steriod allegations, and the departure of thier much loved manager Torre who ditched them for the legendary L.A. Dodgers who were once the sworn enemies of the Yanks, it's time for the Yankees to sit down for a while and let other teams take there spotlight.

Well you do have a point about the NL west after all, the Diamondbacks are unpredictable. the Hurdle both the Dodgers and Padres have to overcome as well as the Astros, is there a way to stop there starting lineup which usaully what helps them stop a team from catching up in runs scored. the anwser lies in the the preformance of the teams' bullpens.

Well the Giants have always been my favorite team, but I'm sorry to say the the lost of Bonds is going to come back and bite them, meaning they'll regret throwing Barry under the bus. There bullpen has been great,but not even the amazing young pitcher and brillant pitchhitter Linececum will be able to save them this year.

I really hope that the Astros can  come in strong in the central division, they've really got to fix thier bullpen especially with Qualls and Rodriguez, I don't think we'll see much of Lidge because Sampson will be busy trying to make up for his sudden slump last summer( reminder Sampson did an excellent job saving face for Roger clemens in 2006).

As for there batting lineup, there's much hope. Berkman has completely recovered from his shocking poor season and is batting and scoring more frenquently. There's tremendous pressure on Matsui to full the shoes of veteran 2B Craig Biggio and for the team since it hopes them having a Japanese player can help give them some popluarity. Pence was incredible as a young rookie last year and there's some sign he'll preform even better. Lee did well last year, but can he increase his B.A. and do a better fielding job?Wigginton did well, but he caused too many errors and forced the team to be outhit and outplayed in thier chances to groundout the opposing teams.

All these are good signs that things will be much better for the Astros this year, the fans really hope the Astros can outpreform the Cubs. If they fare strong with about 77-62, they have a change of grabbing the pennat again so they can try to make up for the WS cheat they recieved by the White Sox in '05.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Red Sox have the same lineup from last year; I don't know what this "new" lineup you speak of is.

The Braves are not going to be factor this season or next most likely. Their rotation is aged and their lineup, excluding Teixeira, has hardly any pop. The Mets will have more problems with the Phillies, the team that caught them in the standings last season and got better by shoring up their rotation...i.e. getting rid of Lieber. Also, Torre did not ditch the Yankees, they ditched him. They gave him a low ball, incentive-laden offer that was designed to insult him so he'd turn it down. Iguchi is a second baseman, not an outfielder. He is playing for the Padres this year. Batting wise Swisher is an upgrade, but comparing the two is comparing apples to oranges.

Their are quite a few errors in your post I imagine I didn't cover them all. Feel free to check out my pseudo-scouting reports on every team, which I am about to finish up. Without sounding too egotistical I think I've done a decent job on them, what with a little research and having been a diehard baseball fan for the majority of my life.

Offline metaldams

In all seriousness about that Red Sox line-up, I'm hoping Ellsbury will be the spark everyone thinks he will be, 'casue the Red Sox can really use that true lead-off hitter (speed, good contact, good OBP guy), they've never really had since losing Johnny Damon.  Pedroia and Youklis are great, but their lack of speed make them better suted as #2 types while Lugo and Crisp have both been busts offensively (and defensively for the former).  Ellsbury certainly has the tools, and I'm looking forward seeing more of him.

Thankfully, the 2007 line-up came through huge in the post-season, but let's also remember in the regular season, they were not a very good clutch hitting team.  Again, with Ellsbury and a seemingly improved J.D. Drew, along with the confidence a World Series ring can bring, I'm hoping for a little more 9th inning fire than we saw last regular season.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
St. Louis Cardinals

2007 Payroll: $90.28 million, 11th in MLB

2007 Record:78-84, 3rd Place NL Central

Key Transactions: Acquired 3B Troy Glaus from TOR for 3B Scott Rolen, signed SS Cesar Izturis

Projected Lineup/age:
C Yadier Molina/25
1B Albert Pujols/28
2B Adam Kennedy/32
3B Troy Glaus/31
SS Cesar Izturis/28
LF Chris Duncan/26
CF Rick Ankiel/28
RF Skip Schumaker/28

Starting Rotation:
Adam Wainwright/26
Braden Looper/33
Joel Pineiro/29
Anthony Reyes/26
Kyle Lohse/29

Relief Pitching:
Ryan Franklin/35
Russ Springer/39
Randy Flores/32
Tyler Johnson/26
Todd Wellemeyer/29
Jason Isringhausen, closer/35

A couple of seasons after winning the World Series the Cardinals are in shanbles. On the plus side, Glaus should provide good backup in the batting order for Pujols. The rest of the lineup is not going to make any opposing pitcher sweat. The starting rotation should be counted among the weakest in the league, with what looks to me like a bunch of #5  and spot starters. The bullpen is long in the tooth and not very good, Isringhausen has spent more time on the DL in the past few seasons than off.

I don't think the redbirds are going to take the cellar in the weak NL Central, but they definately aren't going to challenge for the championship either. I predict a season of at least 90 losses.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Tampa Bay Rays

2007 Payroll: $24.1 million, 30th in MLB

2007 Record: 66-96, 5th Place AL East

Key Transactions: Signed RP Troy Percival, signed OF Cliff Floyd

Projected Lineup/age:
C Dioner Navarro/24
1B Carlos Pena/29
2B Akinori Iwamura/29
3B Evan Longoria/22
SS Jason Bartlett/29
LF Carl Crawford/26
CF B.J. Upton/23
RF Jonny Gomes/27
DH Cliff Floyd/35

Starting Rotation:
James Shields/26
Scott Kazmir/24
Matt Garza/24
Edwin Jackson/24
Andy Sonnanstine/25

Relief Pitching:
Al Reyes/37
Dan Wheeler/30
Gary Glover/31
Scott Dohmann/30
Grant Balfour/30
Troy Percival, closer/38

As usual the former Devil Rays are very young (except for the bullpen), but there is alot of potential on this roster. The 1-2 punch in the rotation of Shields and Kazmir is a great one, and the rest of the rotation can be at least decent if not formidable. The lineup looks great with Pena, Crawford, Iwamura and Floyd, who should provide some veteran leadership that is sorely needed. The bullpen is alright, but I wonder how much Percival has left in the tank.

The Rays are still awhile off before seriously contending in the AL East, and the real challenge will be if ownership can keep this nucleus intact. This is key to not only winning in the future but building ties with Tampa sports fans and putting more asses in seats. Tampa should post their best record yet and land in 4th place, but should still be south of the .500 mark.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Texas Rangers

2007 Payroll: $68.3 million, 21st in MLB

2007 Record: 75-87, 4th Place AL West

Key Transactions: Signed RP Eddie Guardado, signed RP Kazuo Fukumori

Projected Lineup/age:
C Gerald Laird/28
1B Ben Broussard/31
2B Ian Kinsler/25
3B Hank Blalock/27
SS Michael Young/31
LF Marlon Byrd/30
CF Josh Hamilton/26
RF Milton Bradley/29
DH Frank Catalanotto/33

Starting Rotation:
Kevin Millwood/33
Vicente Padilla/30
Jason Jennings/29
Kason Gabbard/25
Luis Mendoza/24

Relief Pitching:
Joaquin Benoit/30
Kazuo Fukumori/31
Eddie Guardado/37
Frank Francisco/28
Wes Littleton/25
C.J. Wilson, closer/27

The 2008 Texas Rangers are a rather uninteresting team on paper. There isn't much to say about the lineup...it's average at best. The starting rotation can use some work, Millwood is overrated but Gabbard can mature into a solid middle reliever. The bullpen is going to give up runs, perhaps  Fukumori can prove to be a bright spot.

The Rangers will improve their rank in the AL West standings not because the team has gotten any better but because OAK has gotten worse. Thier record this year should be similar to what it was last year.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Toronto Blue Jays

2007 Payroll: $81.9 million, 16th in MLB

2007 Record: 83-79, 3rd Place AL East

Key Transactions: Signed RP Armando Benitez, signed SS David Eckstein

Projected Lineup/age:
C Gregg Zaun/36
1B Lyle Overbay/31
2B Aaron Hill/26
3B Scott Rolen/32
SS David Eckstein/33
LF Reed Johnson/31
CF Vernon Wells/29
RF Alex Rios/27
DH Frank Thomas/39

Starting Pitching:
Roy Halladay/30
A.J. Burnett/31
Dustin McGowan/26
Shaun Marcum/26
Jesse Litsch/23

Relief Pitching:
Jason Frasor/30
Scott Downs/32
Brian Tallet/30
Brian Wolfe/27
Brandon League/26
B.J. Ryan, closer/32
Jeremy Accardo, closer/26

The Blue Jays should be nipping on the heels of the Red Sox and Yankees, perhaps closer than in years past. In order for that to happen Vernon Wells needs to return to his former glory and hope last year was just an off one. The rest of the lineup is potent with Rios and Thomas, the latter whom can still knock one out despite reaching his 40's before season's end.

The rotation is of course fronted by Halladay, whom you practically have to drag off the mound every game. He's an old school type pitcher who doesn't worry about pitch count and probably should have gotten the Cy Young last year. The Jays have two closers listed, both of whom are more than competent...it all depends on whether or not Ryan can remain healthy. Toronto should remain in 3rd Place, but could very well shake things up in the AL East.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
S#1, I already gave you a karma point for your baseball analysis. But I just noticed this, and couldn't pass it up!

I've seen all of them accept I Like it Black and Deep in My Ass 7.

Don't you mean "except"?

"Accept" means 'to receive, esp. willingly'.

:o :P :o

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Washington Nationals

2007 Payroll: $37.3 million, 28th in MLB

2007 Record: 73-89, 4th Place NL East

Key Transactions: Acquired OF Lastings Milledge from NYM, signed C Paul LoDuca

Projected Lineup/age:
C Paul LoDuca/35
1B Dmitri Young/34
2B Ronnie Belliard/32
3B Ryan Zimmerman/23
SS Cristian Guzman/30
LF Elijah Dukes/23
CF Lastings Milledge/22
RF Austin Kearns/27

Starting Rotation:
Shawn Hill/26
John Patterson/30
Jason Bergmann/26
John Lannan/23
Matt Chico/24

Relief Pitching:
Jon Rauch/29
Luis Ayala/30
Ryan Wagner/25
Jesus Colome/30
Saul Rivera/30
Chad Cordero, closer/26

The Washington Nationals are truely a team in transition. New ownership is more concerned about getting a new ballpark than trying to contend at the moment, and the team they inherited wasn't very good to begin with. Guzman is one of the worst hitters in the league, I'll be shocked if he keeps his job by season's end. The have Milledge, but I am personally not high on him (neither were the Mets anymore). The pitching is horrendous with the exception of closer Cordero.

The Nats will remain in 4th Place and can take pride in the fact that they are not the Florida Marlins.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
S#1, I already gave you a karma point for your baseball analysis. But I just noticed this, and couldn't pass it up!

Don't you mean "except"?

"Accept" means 'to receive, esp. willingly'.

:o :P :o

James

Actually I had meant to say "I like to accept them black and deep in my ass" but I was typing in the dark again.

The rundowns are now complete. <bows>