Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 84935

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
<----- Disappointed
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline metaldams

Well, the injury bug continues to plaque the Yankees, Posada went on the DL for the first time in his career
last week due to a shoulder problem and now A-Rod is headed there due to that strained quad muscle.
Hughes continues to struggle, i dont know whats wrong with him.

So i'm impressed their at .500 despite all the injuries and pitching problems. I'm shocked Mussina has won
his last two starts and has pitched well, dont know if this is going to last but I'll take what I can get
from him right now. Also alot of guys have stepped up and started hitting like Damon, Melky, Cano,
esp Matsui. Even Giambi is getting a few hits, though I still think they prob need to dump him eventually.
His defense at first base is a nightmare.

Anyone else happy or dissapointed with their teams' performance so far?

I thought Hughes would pitch much better than he has, though he may still step up, it's only April.  The Yankees are going through a transistional phase right now.  They're either too young or too old, but I still think they have what it takes to compete, though the potential loss of Posada could be harmful.  The two seasons Varitek went on the DL were disasterous for Boston, and while I don't think Posada's the "captain," he's certainly an important part of the Yankee chemistry.  Wang's been great for you guys, though, and that duel with Sabbathia on Sunday was pretty tense, as was last night's Boston Vs. Toronto game (easily one of the best ball games I've ever seen).  Lester matched that awesome game he had against Kansas City in '06 (same innings, runs, hits, and walk totals), and any team has to thank their lucky stars when they beat Roy Halladay at his best.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

As for the Red Sox, I think they've had more late inning clutch hits in the month of April than they had in the entire 2007 regular season.  Unfortunately, the pitching hasn't been as good, and that's what wins championships.  The last three games have been very promising as far as the starting pitching goes, and that should hopefully rest up and improve the bullpen.  If the offense and pitching can finally click at the same time, then the Red Sox should be fine.  April hasn't been the best month due to injuries and most importantly, a flu virus that has swarmed the club house.  Still we're 16 - 12, one win away from another guaranteed season of .100 baseball!  Woo-hoo!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Another strong pitching performance leading to another non-win for a starter, but Boston pulls off a 2 - 1 win on Varitek's walk-off.  I think this ties the walk-off mark for last season (which in turn means Papelbon has more wins than last season), if I'm not mistaken.  If the pitching can stay strong and the offense can heal, the Red Sox should be in fine shape.  Weird being ahead in the division with Tampa Bay and Balimore as our main competition, but it's still very early and I imagine that'll change.

Phil Hughes on the DL, either Rasner or Igawa likely to replace him.

Cliff Lee of the Indians in April; 5 - 0 0.96 ERA!

Barry Zito is 0 - 6 with a plus 7 ERA and is now in the Giants pen.  Possibly the biggest contractual bust ever.

John Smoltz is back in the pen when he returns from the DL.

I'm so glad baseball's back.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Here's a typical "Toldyaso": "I'd been saying for the past couple of years that if the league ever figured out how to pitch Ryan Howard, he'd be in big trouble. Well, it looks like they have and, at least for now, he is. They'd be better off with Moe Howard hitting cleanup."

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080513_Bill_Conlin__Suddenly_there_are_more_experts_than_strikeouts_in_Ryan_Howard_s_slump.html

Offline metaldams

Ryan Howard's a young, talented guy, and he'll be fine if he can make adjustments.  It's what all big league players have to do. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Don't usually like to brag, but this one's too good to pass up.  A little less than two years ago, the Red Sox were a woefully injured team already when news came around that our 23 year old pitcher, Jon Lester, had cancer.  He survives it, pitches 5 2/3 scorless in a World Series clinching win, and tonight, this.

BOSTON -- There was never a question about Jon Lester's poise or his promising arsenal of pitches. It's just that he never put it all together quite like Monday night, when he thrilled the Fenway Park faithful -- not to mention his teammates -- by throwing a no-hitter against the Kansas City Royals.
The Boston lefty was magnificent, walking just two batters while leading the Red Sox to a 7-0 victory over the Royals.

Instead of tiring, Lester only got stronger as the night wore on. Over the final five innings, it seemed the Royals were struggling just to make solid contact.

Not only was this Lester's first no-hitter, but it was also his first complete game.

And it was the second no-hitter in as many seasons for the Sox. Clay Buchholz, a product of the Red Sox's farm system just like Lester, did the honors last Sept. 1 against the Orioles.

The Red Sox have had four no-hitters in the 21st century. Hideo Nomo threw one in Baltimore in 2001, and Derek Lowe no-hit the Rays in '02. Of those four no-hitters, only Nomo's took place away from Fenway Park.

Jason Varitek caught all four, tying Ray Schalk of the White Sox for the Major League record.

Lester didn't need much in the way of offensive support, but the Red Sox gave him plenty to work with by breaking out for five runs in the bottom of the third.

With runners at the corners and nobody out, the first run came home on a 5-4-3 double-play ball off the bat of Julio Lugo. Jacoby Ellsbury instantly started a new rally, belting a triple to center. Luke Hochevar then melted down with his control, walking three straight batters. The third to Manny Ramirez forced in a run. Mike Lowell followed with a popup to second that turned into a nightmare for the Royals. Mark Grudzielanek dropped the ball, allowing two runs to score. Kevin Youkilis made it 5-0 with a ground-rule double to right.

What was striking about Lester was how easily he was getting through the Kansas City lineup. His control was impeccable, and just about all of the outs were routine. Only a terrific diving catch by Ellsbury to rob Jose Guillen at the end of the fourth inning stood out from a defensive standpoint
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
I caught this on the news this morning. Lymphoma(?) survivor pitches no-hitter. Remarkable.

James

PS. Go Red Wings! Win the Stanley Cup!
PPS. I now see the "Attach" stuff. Thanks Rob!

Mattie Herring

Well, the Red Sox started off a little shaky but they are doing well now!  Go Sox!

Offline metaldams

The Red Sox have a perfect game against them through 5 tonight.  The Red Sox never hit in Oakland.  Got a great team this year, but I hate  west coast games for so many reasons.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Phew!  Ortiz breaks up the no-no in the 7th.  Still a great job by this A's pitcher (whose name I won't attempt to spell).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Soooooooooo, is anybody else watching baseball lately?

The Phils score 20 today while Detroit and the Angels are duking it out scoreless in the 12th as I type.  This is one of the reasons why baseball's the greatest game.

PS: ...and since I have the MLB package, I'm watching the latter game.  Best $160 I ever spent.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Sorry. Wings & Pissed-ons win. Can't watch 3 games at once.

I get CBC from Windsor Ontario for free!  :D

James

Mattie Herring

Soooooooooo, is anybody else watching baseball lately?

No, haven't kept up with my Sox in a while.  Too busy.  You'll have to keep me posted. ;D

Offline metaldams

No, haven't kept up with my Sox in a while.  Too busy.  You'll have to keep me posted. ;D

The skinny on the 2008 team so far:  Great at home, awful on the road, especially out west.  I'll be at the game in Baltimore on Saturday, hoping I catch Manny Ramirez's 500th home run.
- Doug Sarnecky

Mattie Herring

ah, the west...the site of so many Red Sox graves, as cited by Stephen King in his biography of the 2004 world series winning Sox, eh, metaldams?

Offline metaldams

ah, the west...the site of so many Red Sox graves, as cited by Stephen King in his biography of the 2004 world series winning Sox, eh, metaldams?

I wonder why that is?  I know the time zone difference could be a factor, but I wonder if the parks or atmosphere are just so different out there that it doesn't suit a team built to hit at Fenway.

Then again, Daniel Cabrera pitched well against us tonight, who until this season we owned.  I can take being one hit by a great pitcher like Erik Bedard, but I can't stand Daniel Cabrera.  No respect.

At least Hansen showed some guts tonight, let's hope the Sox can get something going in the 12th.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Darkhoarse820

Here's another old adage for you, a flat sinker is the equivalent of a batting practice fastball: just ask Derek Lowe.

Let's kick this thread off right, with prognostications. Who do you guys think will make the postseason in each league? Here are my pre-season picks:

AL EAST: BOSTON RED SOX
AL CENTRAL: CLEVELAND INDIANS
AL WEST: ANAHEIM ANGELS
AL WILD CARD: DETROIT TIGERS

other teams with winning records: Yankees, Mariners, Blue Jays

NL EAST: NEW YORK METS
NL CENTRAL: CHICAGO CUBS
NL WEST: ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
NL WILD CARD: PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

other teams with winning records: Dodgers, Rockies, Padres, Brewers

The National League is a lot harder to figure out since there is so much parity, but I think Santana gives the Mets a very distinct advantage.

The first thing I did was to change your pick for the ALW.  They will NEVER be Los Angeles.  The NLW is the weakest looking division I've seen in decades, history wise.  I'm quite happy to see the Padres and Rockies where they are but, I ask you, what decade would you see the Dodgers with a winning record?  It's like the Brooklyn Dodgers all over again, except worse.  WAIT 'TIL NEXT YEAR!  WAIT 'TIL NEXT YEAR!

All other predictions seem to be dead on except for the Mets and Tigers.  The Mets have their managerial issues and probably won't win that battle and the Tigers made the same dumb type of acquisitions the Dodgers made over the Winter meetings.

Offline Darkhoarse820

OK, after leaving my first post, I went back and read the entire thread and I've noticed one thing inparticular.  It seems to be a very East Coast board on here...am I right?

Mattie Herring

You are correct, I myself being born in New Hampshire and having spent 8 years of my life there.

Elizabeth

Offline metaldams

Born in Connecticut, lived there til' I was 13, and have lived in Delaware since.  Started watching baseball in 1986 at age 7, and spent weeks alteranting between a Mets and Yankee fan that year (I was 7, so sue me).  I became a Red Sox fan in 1987.  My parents were actually in Boston on vacation when the Red Sox beat the Angels in the ALCS and got swept away in the hysteria the city was in.  They started watching the Red Sox regularly in '87, I watched with them, Wade Boggs became my childhood hero ("Daddy, why are they chanting, 'Margo?'"), and the rest is history.  My grandfather was also a life long Red Sox fan, and loved Jimmie Foxx (or "Double X," as he called him), as a kid.  Posting on Three Stooges boards for a long time, most posters seem to be from the east coast or at least have east coast roots.

As far as the AL East goes, the weakest teams so far have .500 records, so they're a tough division so far.  Boston's very streaky this year, but the good streaks have outweighed the bad and they're playing through injuries very well.  Great depth on that club.  Tampa Bay's young pitchers have finally emerged and it'll be interesting to see if they can sustain this success the entire season.  Scott Kazmir was good before but now he's Cy Young material.  The Yankees seem to be going through a transistional phase, but they always seem to play .700 ball after the break.  A part of me thinks that could very well happen again, there was no doubt in my mind in '07, but something feels slightly different about the Yankees this year.  Perhaps it's because Hank Steinbrenner has egg on his face everytime he opens his mouth, or maybe 'cause Torre (who I always liked in spite of the uniform) isn't around, or maybe it's the lack of prime pitchers outside of Wang.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

So far I'm wrong about both Chicago teams. I said the Cubs could never have a winning team two years in a row. I also said the White Sox would have no pitching. Wrong on both counts. They both are in first place. I realize it's early but if they continue to play the way they are now, there might be some play-off games in Chicago this year. ;D
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Darkhoarse820

O.K. FINE! It's like playing the Who's Who of the Three Stooges Message Board.

I was born and raised in smoggy, gang-infested Los Angeles and I still live there with my Wife today.
My first recollection of anything baseball was the "Buckner Blunder" of the 1986 WS...not to remind any BoSox fans of a, hopefully, fading memory.  I went to my first game in July of 1987, at age nine, where the CALIFORNIA Angels (now and forever A-NA-HEIM) hosted the KC Royals and beat them 8-0.  I could have easily become a long-standing fan of the team but, that only lasted until opening day 1988, when I chose the Dodgers as the team that would torture me year in and year out for the rest of my life.  As you can imagine, the last great moment in Dodger history is the second-best day of my life, boarding upon the first by my wedding day just three years ago.  My Wife knows this and she understands.  However, she's an Angels' fan (who believes in the former A-NA-HEIM location as well).  Who do you think I cheered on in the 2002 World Series?  NOBODY!  I can't stand those two teams for the life of me.  Imagine if I had married a Giants' fan...

...and there will most definitely be a playoff series (at least one) in Chicago this year...maybe minus Zambrano, with the way he likes to smash his hand into walls (Dodger Stadium on Saturday).

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
I think my first baseball game was the Detroit Tigers opening day in 1966. I was 4. Dad got the tickets and Mom took me and my older brother & sister to the game. The only thing that was a "tale-teller" throughout the years was me waking up in the backseat on the way home and asking "who won?"

Goddamn cold day. Lots of hot chocolate.

Dad's position at Chevrolet (Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet) got us great seats behind home plate throughout the years. He took my brother & I to the '72 All-Star game when Reggie Jackson hit a homer off the light transformer on the right field roof. Later, he would give us the 4 Chevrolet tickets, we'd sell 2 to a scalper for beer money. We even had a place a few blocks away to park for free.

When he retired in '82, I used to try to take him to at least one game a year. Last year was the Negro League tribute game of the Detroit Stars v. Kansas City Monarchs. His first game at Tiger Stadium, his uncle Fred denied his request for a nickel hot dog (It was the Depression, but Fred had money.) Dad's last game at Comerica Park, I made sure he got his hot dog and a couple lemonades.

I'll miss him.

James

Offline Darkhoarse820

I think my first baseball game was the Detroit Tigers opening day in 1966. I was 4. Dad got the tickets and Mom took me and my older brother & sister to the game. The only thing that was a "tale-teller" throughout the years was me waking up in the backseat on the way home and asking "who won?"

Goddamn cold day. Lots of hot chocolate.

Dad's position at Chevrolet (Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet) got us great seats behind home plate throughout the years. He took my brother & I to the '72 All-Star game when Reggie Jackson hit a homer off the light transformer on the right field roof. Later, he would give us the 4 Chevrolet tickets, we'd sell 2 to a scalper for beer money. We even had a place a few blocks away to park for free.

When he retired in '82, I used to try to take him to at least one game a year. Last year was the Negro League tribute game of the Detroit Stars v. Kansas City Monarchs. His first game at Tiger Stadium, his uncle Fred denied his request for a nickel hot dog (It was the Depression, but Fred had money.) Dad's last game at Comerica Park, I made sure he got his hot dog and a couple lemonades.

I'll miss him.

James

Nice recollections of what sound like simpler times to me (as complicated as they truly must have been).