Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

New book: Stooges Among Us (Available now)

Offline falsealarms

A press release for the book describes its contents as follows:

In this paparazzi-inundated world, it's hard to imagine that there was a
time when genuine movie stars were accessible to members of the public. That was
certainly the case in the 1970's with surviving members of the Three Stooges
comedy team. Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Curly-Joe DeRita and Joe Besser routinely
corresponded with their young admirers, invited them into their homes, and
forged genuine friendships with them. Stooges Among Us is a record of these
unique relationships told in the words of the fans themselves. Also sharing
their insights are Stooges' family members, colleagues and close personal
friends. Leonard Maltin, the renowned film critic and historian, provides the
foreword to this affectionate tribute. Containing never-before published
photographs and interviews with the Stooges, this is a book that will be
treasured by classic comedy fans of all ages.

Some of the people who have contributed chapters to the book include
Stooges relatives Joan Howard Maurer, Sandie Howard Isaac and Eric Lamond as
well as celebrities Adam West, Gary Owens and Rose Marie.

Some of the others contributing chapters include writers Mark Evanier and
Randy Skretvedt as well as Three Stooges Fan Club members Bob Bernet, Scott
Reboul and Gary Lassin.

The book will be published in paperback only and the retail price is
expected to be $19.95.

Order info: http://bearmanormedia.bizland.com/id318.html
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:40:27 PM by falsealarms »

Offline curlysdame

Wow!!   :o  This sounds great!  I'm definitely going to have to get a copy.  Thanks for posting this falsealarms!
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline locoboymakesgood

This will be interesting. Definitely getting myself a copy.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Just when I thought I really don't need another book on these guys, I'm proven wrong.
So, this goes on the list along with the Sony DVDs.

Offline archiezappa

This book sounds like the perfect follow-up to "One Fine Stooge."

Offline falsealarms

http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=interviews&Id=1201

Good Q/A with the co-editor of this new Stooge book.

Due out sometime this summer. I'm not sure exactly when. The dates have moved around it seems.

"Joe Besser was unaware of just how bad his films with the Stooges were. I had the temerity to mention the poor reputation that the Besser shorts had among fans and critics, and he seemed genuinely surprised. He would have been willing to go along with the act for longer, but he had a movie to make, “Say One for Me” with Bing Crosby. He said that Moe and Larry told him that his job would be waiting for him when he was done, but he never heard from them again. The Stooges hired Joe DeRita in 1958, and the re-energized team rode the crest of their newfound popularity resulting from the televised Columbia shorts. Joe was bitter about this for many years. Only at the end of his life did he act as something of an emissary for the Stooges, calling his years with the team as “the happiest of my career."

Offline hiramhorwitz

Amazon's listing for Stooges Among Us says it is "IN STOCK."  Also, a listing can be found on Ebay.  So it appears to be available now!

Offline archiezappa

http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=interviews&Id=1201

Good Q/A with the co-editor of this new Stooge book.

Due out sometime this summer. I'm not sure exactly when. The dates have moved around it seems.

"Joe Besser was unaware of just how bad his films with the Stooges were. I had the temerity to mention the poor reputation that the Besser shorts had among fans and critics, and he seemed genuinely surprised. He would have been willing to go along with the act for longer, but he had a movie to make, “Say One for Me” with Bing Crosby. He said that Moe and Larry told him that his job would be waiting for him when he was done, but he never heard from them again. The Stooges hired Joe DeRita in 1958, and the re-energized team rode the crest of their newfound popularity resulting from the televised Columbia shorts. Joe was bitter about this for many years. Only at the end of his life did he act as something of an emissary for the Stooges, calling his years with the team as “the happiest of my career."

Does this mean that the story of Joe Besser having to quit the Stooges to stay with his ailing wife is an urban legend?

Offline FineBari3

Great! Something else I need to buy! (Notice, I did not say have...I'm trying to conserve money).

Books are OK, though.

DVDs make me feel guilty, and I am one set behind with the Stooges now.

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline FineBari3

Does this mean that the story of Joe Besser having to quit the Stooges to stay with his ailing wife is an urban legend?

I asked myself that same question.

I my eyebrows have been raised twice in reading just the article, which leads me to believe that this is going to be a really interesting perspective told in this book, rather than most of the other Stooge books out there.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Double Deal Decker

Wil have to check it out. I enjoy reading about the boys from the perspective of others.

Offline falsealarms

Offline hiramhorwitz

There's a brief review of Stooges Among Us on Amazon, posted by Steve Cox who authored One Fine Stooge. 

Offline FineBari3

There's a brief review of Stooges Among Us on Amazon, posted by Steve Cox who authored One Fine Stooge. 

Thanks!

Steve wrote a great book on Larry, and is a nice guy too!  [glasses1]
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline falsealarms

Thanks!

Steve wrote a great book on Larry, and is a nice guy too!  [glasses1]

One Fine Stooge is arguably the best Stooge book ever.

Offline jhaz

Hi, not sure if anyone can help me but I'm tossing the question out there, my husband is a hugh stooge fan and even his dart flights were 3 stooges. His darts were recently stolen with the flights and he's heartbroken.  I can not seem to find them anywhere.  Would anyone know wear i could look for them?  Thanks

Offline falsealarms

Well, I quit being a cheapie and placed my order for it. Hopefully the wait isn't too bad. Never ordered from bearmanor media.

Offline archiezappa

One Fine Stooge is arguably the best Stooge book ever.

I totally agree.  I really enjoyed reading it.  It's good to see the Stooges story from a different point of view.  It's interesting to compare the stories from "Moe Howard & The Three Stooges" with "One Fine Stooge."

Offline falsealarms

My book came today. I've thumbed around the whole book and read the first 35 pages. That's enough for me to recommend this book to anyone who spends time on this site.

There's an endless amount of genuinely interesting stories and anecdotes in this book - most of which you probably haven't heard before. There was only a few I was familiar with - Bob Bernet's Moe stories, Ed Busch's radio interviews with Moe and Larry, and John Cawley's recollections of meeting the Stooges in the 70s. The Cawley stories seemed awfully familiar - that's because, they were. I posted them here back in 2005.

Despite a few re-hashes (at least for me) there's tons of fresh material in here - over 200 pages worth. From the bits I've read, this book is a very slick and captivating read. Joan Howard Maurer's contribution is especially very touching. Fan club president Gary Lassin has a chapter in the book as do people like Adam West, Sandie Howard and Diana Serra Cary - now 89 and a child actor during the silent film era. Scott Reboul, who presents his "Searching Out The Stooges" bit during the fan club meetings, tells of his Stooge tales for nearly 30 pages. He was a lucky man.

From the blurbs on the contributors of this book, we learn that Joan and Paul are currently penning a memoir called "Stooge Kids" and we also see threestooges.net get a shoutout within Lassin's mini-bio.

It's well worth 20 bucks. Nobody here should be without a copy. There doesn't seem to be too much buzz on here about this book which is too bad. The DVDs, for instance, seem to generate a lot more talk than this book has.

"Curly used to say to Moe and me, 'I don't need you guys; I'm just keeping you afloat,'' Larry shook his head at that memory.

Offline Senorita Rita

"Curly used to say to Moe and me, 'I don't need you guys; I'm just keeping you afloat,'' Larry shook his head at that memory.
Is that a quote from the book? And if so, is it from -Joe or Howard? Either way, your review makes me interested in getting this book. "One Fine Stooge," my first Stooge book purchase, was excellent, so I'll have to check this one out too.
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline falsealarms

Yes, that's from the book. It's something Larry remembered Curly saying. It was mentioned in Lon Davis' section of the book.

Some other highlights from the book: supporting player Babe London and Larry Fine arguing like an old married couple, a transcript of Larry's Q&A's at one of his school shows, and stories from the family who sold Moe, Larry, Shemp, and Curly their first TV sets.

This book makes me wish I was born about 30 years earlier than I was (mid 50s vs mid 80s). There's no doubt I would have been one of the ones writing them.