Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Your comedy background...what is it?

Offline Fake Shemp

To name a few:

Monty Python
Laurel and Hardy
Buster Keaton
Mel Brooks (namely his parodies like Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, etc.)
Jim Carrey
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Family Guy

Oh and I would also like to mention my favorite stand-up comedian, Brian Regan. He makes me laugh every time.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
you knew Rodney Dangerfield?
 Constant stupidity, pointless posts, troll-like behavior; I close the iron door on this person.

S#1,

Your eloquence has been missed! I doubt that I have given enough smites to warrant counting on another hand, yet moe-jo's moderator-moniker earned one for "arrogance". And the "Jizz Bucket(?)" needed to go also.

Perhaps we can do more productive things soon... like cheering on our teams to beat the crap out of the NY Yankees!  :D (Apologies to our native NY'er... porcupinefan87).

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Moe-jo was all Metaldams...I can't take credit for that one. Also, the other guy was a "jizz-receptacle".

It's nice to know I'm loved almost as much as I'm hated.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline curlysdame

you knew Rodney Dangerfield?
Constant stupidity, pointless posts, troll-like behavior; I close the iron door on this person.

Hahaha....wow   ::)
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline metaldams

Moe-jo was all Metaldams...I can't take credit for that one. Also, the other guy was a "jizz-receptacle".

It's nice to know I'm loved almost as much as I'm hated.

...and I wish I could take credit for "jizz-receptacle."  Kane's got me beat as far as barbs and entertainment goes, hands down.  But yeah, in the mysterious ways of adminstrating, I'm now a man, as I made my first ban.

As for the Yankees, I don't care if I offend any of the New York posters.  They are all otherwise great people as far as I'm concerned and I welcome them on this board (my Grandmother was born in the Bronx), but as far as baseball goes, no remorse.  Fuck their team, fuck the Yankees, fuck Billy Crystal, fuck Jr. Steinbrenner, fuck their 26 rings, fuck their pinstripes, fuck Derek Jeter, and may A-Rod drown at an AIDS infected bukkake party attended by ISLIPP.  Fuck 'em all to hell, I hope they finish behind Baltimore.

We now interrupt the above diatribe to bring you back the "normal" and "nice" version of metaldams you've all grown to love over the years.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

...and I wish I could take credit for "jizz-receptacle."  Kane's got me beat as far as barbs and entertainment goes, hands down.  But yeah, in the mysterious ways of adminstrating, I'm now a man, as I made my first ban.

As for the Yankees, I don't care if I offend any of the New York posters.  They are all otherwise great people as far as I'm concerned and I welcome them on this board (my Grandmother was born in the Bronx), but as far as baseball goes, no remorse.  Fuck their team, fuck the Yankees, fuck Billy Crystal, fuck Jr. Steinbrenner, fuck their 26 rings, fuck their pinstripes, fuck Derek Jeter, and may A-Rod drown at an AIDS infected bukkake party attended by ISLIPP.  Fuck 'em all to hell, I hope they finish behind Baltimore.

We now interrupt the above diatribe to bring you back the "normal" and "nice" version of metaldams you've all grown to love over the years.

In the past I would have been offended, but I now accept the fact that there are people who just don't like the Yankess and I'm fine with that,
as long as those who do so do not dump that hate on me. So no problems from me.

I'm glad you guys banned those morons. I hate trolls like that who waste our time. Good riddence to bad rubbish.

Now, back to the topic.....

Porcupinefan's post was most excellent. I've never thought in "high" and 'low" brow comedy. I always looked at comedy in that
it has different generes, trends and styles. I've never looked at the Stooges as "low brow" I view then as masters of slapstick,
satire, situational and verbal humor. The Marx Brothers IMO were more verbal and satirical then the Stooges, with the occasional
slapstick, they enjoyed going for the verbal humor and comedic insults then slapping or hitting. The Marx's satire is very evident
in their early movies with Zeppo, esp their classic "Duck Soup"
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

I think The Three Stooges get classified as "low" comedy for a few reasons.

1.) They were one of the last to practice their style of slapstick humor in film.  Screwball comedy had taken over when they started in 1934, and  their writers and directors were mostly considered has-beens by the time they were working for Columbia, supposedly seeing better days in silent comedy. 

2.) Less pathos than their predecessors, which I agree with.  Of course, anybody who feels this is a knock on the Stooges obviously are missing the point.

3.) The Stooges really were the most violent of the Vaudeville based comedians I can think of, and that in a way is the definition of low comedy.  Again, I LIKE that about The Three Stooges, but it's also a put off to a lot of people.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline busybuddy

I think Bridget Fonda said it best on the Three Stooges 75th Anniversary Special:

"People who don't like the 3 Stooges never really watched."

In my opinion, The Three Stooges are the only comedians from the post-slient era of comedies who do slapstick well. The only other comedy team who did it fairly well was Martin and Lewis. I love Laurel and Hardy, but I never found their physical comedy funny. I love what they say and how they look and their double-takes and expressions, but when it comes to falling off a roof or blowing up a kitchen they do not compare to the Stooges. Of course, there are exceptions, i.e. Ollie falling into that barrell of rain water in Sons of the Desert.

Also, I don't find Abbott and Costello's physical humor all he great. Lou Costello falls and runs into things way too many times for it to be funny. But when it comes to their talking routines, they can't be beat.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Metaldams,

You couldn't have made a better choice to lose your "moderator virginity" on.

Was it as good for you, as it was for us?  >:D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline metaldams

Metaldams,

You couldn't have made a better choice to lose your "moderator virginity" on.

Was it as good for you, as it was for us?  >:D

James

:P  [pie]  >:D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I think Bridget Fonda said it best on the Three Stooges 75th Anniversary Special:

"People who don't like the 3 Stooges never really watched."

In my opinion, The Three Stooges are the only comedians from the post-slient era of comedies who do slapstick well. The only other comedy team who did it fairly well was Martin and Lewis. I love Laurel and Hardy, but I never found their physical comedy funny. I love what they say and how they look and their double-takes and expressions, but when it comes to falling off a roof or blowing up a kitchen they do not compare to the Stooges. Of course, there are exceptions, i.e. Ollie falling into that barrell of rain water in Sons of the Desert.

Also, I don't find Abbott and Costello's physical humor all he great. Lou Costello falls and runs into things way too many times for it to be funny. But when it comes to their talking routines, they can't be beat.

With all due respect to the Stooges or any other comedian who has walked the face of the planet, the kitchen explosion in BLOCKHEADS is hands down the biggest belly laugh I have ever received watching a film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline busybuddy

With all due respect to the Stooges or any other comedian who has walked the face of the planet, the kitchen explosion in BLOCKHEADS is hands down the biggest belly laugh I have ever received watching a film.

That's funny. That is my favorite Laurel and Hardy featurette and I have just never found that scene funny. I wish I did!
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline archiezappa

I have to agree with Bridget Fonda.  Many people act like they know all about the Stooges, but have never watched a whole episode all the way through.  Others just don't like physical comedy.  However, my wife had never watched the Three Stooges when she met me.  She didn't want to watch them.  But when I finally got her to watch an episode, she thought it was funny.  Many people just don't give them a chance.

Offline porcupinefan87

I personally never got into Abbott and Costello. I mean, yeah I know the whole "who's on first, what's on second bit"...but I don't know, they just never really appealed to me.

It's funny, but one of the main reasons I love the Stooges so much is their VERBAL humor. I think often that element of their act doesn't get talked about enough, because everyone is so hung up on the physical stuff...but it's the mixture of the two - combined with their almost dance like rhythm and wonderful trust in each other with timing - that makes it work. 

As far as pathos goes, I think pathos exists in any comedy...it's just not as obvious in some.  Marty Feldman once said that people laugh at what makes them scared...which is why comedy often pokes fun at hard things like war, poverty, etc. The Stooges have that element, it just isn't shown in a sad way.  But they're generally poor, in need of work, have been thrown out of a place, are in the army, are running a country, etc...so I think they put themselves in very stressful situations, but they extract the HUMOR from it rather than the "boo whoo" and that's what makes good comedy. Plus any of the episodes where they parody Hitler are in their for the serious stuff too.

It's all just a difference in how comedy is presented. A comic can take the same situation as another comic, but do different things with it. And both could be equally as good.

Laurel and Hardy are good from what I've seen, which isn't really much. I grew up loving the movie "March of the Wooden Soilders" though, so hey haha. They are a tad overrated though in terms of being studied as good art and such where the Stooges do not usually get such credit.
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline archiezappa

As far as Abbott & Costello goes, I like their radio show better than anything else they did.  Their movies and tv series were funny, but not nearly as funny as their radio show.

Laurel & Hardy are funny.  I always liked their stuff, too.  I think they were at their best in silent movies.

The Marx Brothers are hilarious.  I love all their movies.  They are more verbal.  They were at their best when they were The Four Marx Brothers.  I just wish they had made more than 13 movies.

I like Martin & Lewis.  Their movies are good.  I also enjoyed each of them as solo artists, too.  And as singers.

But they all pale in comparison to the Three Stooges.  There are some things that all the other comedians did that are not very funny, sometimes.  But the Stooges always make me laugh.  They never fail.  The Stooges have a mentality that's all their own.  I think it's their mentality and their concept of the world around them that works so well.