Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 2 Chatter

Guest · 119 · 28769

xraffle

I'm not sure. It is possible to fit all shorts on two discs, but we'll have to wait and see what Sony plans on doing. When I first thought that it was going to be two years, I was originally going to pass on Volume 2. However, since it's going to be three years, I decided that I should buy it when it comes out. Finally, Sony made a wise decision.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
When I first thought that it was going to be two years, I was originally going to pass on Volume 2.
That comment caught my eye when I read this post in my email.  I just have to be nosy and ask, why you were going to skip Vol. 2?  Did you think the shorts in 1937 and 1938 sucked, or do you just have excellent copies of all of them already?   ;D

Offline Justin T

Lots of shorts from 37-39 that I'd especially want with Cash and Carry topping the list. Mutts, Mummy, Oily, Sappy, Curs, and HW&D are also highly desired. Never bought the last two on the old DVDs.

Yes, their are alot of classic shorts from 37 to 39. I really look foward to having Cash and Carry, We Want Our Mummy, Oily, 3 Sappy People, HW&D,
Bonanza, Curs, Sitter Downers, Goofs and Saddles.

Alot of these have not been on DVD before. Can't wait for the offical press release!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

1937 wasn't as good as 1935 or 1936, two of their better years IMO. 1937 had all two all time greats in Cash and Doctors - everything else was just decent but not spectactular or not very good (i.e Back to the Woods).

1938 was a banner year. 39 was also quite good.

xraffle

That comment caught my eye when I read this post in my email.  I just have to be nosy and ask, why you were going to skip Vol. 2?  Did you think the shorts in 1937 and 1938 sucked, or do you just have excellent copies of all of them already?   ;D

Mainly because I have good copies of most of them already. The only shorts from 1937-1938 that I have with poor quality are "Grips, Grunts, and Groans" and "Back To The Woods." I'm always very hesitant to get these sets as I have invested so much time and money already just to get every single short on DVD. However, since Sony is offering a lot of shorts magnificently restored and for a such a nice price, I buy them anyway. And I'm only getting Volume 2 with the expectation that it will contain 24 shorts for $20.

Believe me! Aside from the Joe Besser shorts, I never think any shorts suck. Yes, some are weaker than other, but I never think they suck. ;D

JH24

Videoeta.com lists "The Three Stooges Collection" for release on May 27, 2008.

A few days ago, Mike Schlesinger of Sony posted on another site that "Volume 2: 1937 - 1939" was forthcoming.

This is all tentative!!!... two pieces of a puzzle taken from two different websites. Nothing is final until Sony itself releases official information. Sony usually sends out press releases 8 weeks prior to the date; we should know specific details in 2 or 3 weeks.

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/6058/t/OT-The-Three-Stooges.html?page=8

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Good to hear all of this. The 3-year set sounds pretty good - it would wrap up the 30s. They would already be into the 40s with the 3rd set. At least you would get more shorts between set releases.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Good to hear all of this. The 3-year set sounds pretty good - it would wrap up the 30s. They would already be into the 40s with the 3rd set. At least you would get more shorts between set releases.

Yeah, I have to admit that I might be a little more patient if they are going to include three years per volume instead of only two, as we've been assuming.   ;D

Offline locoboymakesgood

Anyone here that says they'd pass on this regardless surely has spent $20-some odd dollars on worse shit before.

Yeah, that's it. Let's skip on digitally remastered shorts, in chronological order, when we all wanted it, just because I have shorts that look some-what good on the old DVDs or recorded off of TV. That makes no sense.

Guys, we need to support this. Hell if this thing was one year I'd fuckin' buy it.

I just don't see how including 3 years instead of one would make-or-break a purchase of this.. lol
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline locoboymakesgood

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/6058/t/OT-The-Three-Stooges.html?page=8

LOL! I'm glad to see people are actually quoting ME (post #151 - since I've been a member of the HTF for a LONG time). [pie]

haha, that's crazy!!

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Okay, after giving this some more thought...seven months (if the May 27, 2008 date is correct) isn't that bad of a wait for 24 shorts.

When you break it down, it is about 9 days per short (for working on).  Even if it took 10 days to make one short look great, then we're looking at around 240 days (if the set was 24 shorts) or 8 months between sets.

It is a very long time when you REALLY want another set right away, but since these are VERY old movies that need special care given to them...10 days per short is nothing really.

I just need to be patient, and after doing the stats for this...it helps some.   :laugh:
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

xraffle

Anyone here that says they'd pass on this regardless surely has spent $20-some odd dollars on worse shit before.

Yeah, that's it. Let's skip on digitally remastered shorts, in chronological order, when we all wanted it, just because I have shorts that look some-what good on the old DVDs or recorded off of TV. That makes no sense.

Guys, we need to support this. Hell if this thing was one year I'd fuckin' buy it.

I just don't see how including 3 years instead of one would make-or-break a purchase of this.. lol

Your sarcasm is not appreciated!! Not everyone is rich like you. We have other better "shit" to spend our money on. I'm not loaded with dough like Donald Trump, ok!! I spent time transferring my old VHS shorts to DVD. If you even know half the things I did just to get every short on DVD, then you'd know what I mean. But I guess you're too narrow-minded to realize that.

Seriously, I'm not going to participate on this thread anymore if people are just going to get pissed off at me for what I say.

JH24

It sounds like Video Eta's date could be true because how would they even have a date if they didnt know anything and the precise minute is further indication that they know something, its a pity Sony's release calendar doesnt go upto May 27th they'll get there in about two weeks.

JH24

Im wondering is 12000 units the same as 12000 copies? Or is it say 10 copies in every 1 unit? Because c'mon the set is ranked #538 all these months later on Amazon.com so really if its only sold 12000 copies how can it still be ranking fairly well?

Offline bbug

Whether we completely understand the purported sales figures for set 1 (12,000 units), Sony must know they have a gold mine on their hands.  They best know what the sales figures are for some of the past sets.  They must be better than 12,000 units - way better - or Sony wouldn't have pursued assembling these beautiful sets.  They're in the business to make moolah - not to please fan-addicts like us.  [pie]

Plus - just on the surface of it - as JH24 just mentioned, the 12,000 units number sounds suspect.  While watching "No Census, No Feeling" this eve, I took a gander over at the US Census Bureau web site (http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/) to pick up their city population figures.  If you grab the list of a borough/town/city for Pennsylvanian alone, you see PA has ~1000 registered municipalities that have on average ~5500 people each.  I know I'm a fan-addict, but I'm convinced venerable international icons of comedy like the Stooges must be more popular than to sell only 12 copies/5500 people in the one of the Stooges home states.  These new DVDs are just too beautiful to have sold so few - even with essentially no advertising.  Word of mouth alone - and happenstance sales at WalMart must have led to more sales than that.

And if we assume those figures are approximately correct, then we - and Sony - know that when they decide to finally advertise them, there's a HUGE untapped market still out there.

They may also be waiting to launch a campaign until they have a couple of sets available for sale. This way the same add $$$ can be expected to pull in much more revenue, since there'll be more products to buy.

Remember, too, that if they keep up the 3 yrs/set pace, once set 2 comes out, they'll be almost halfway through the Curly years (34-36, 37-39, 40-42, 43-45, 45-48 - where the last one is 1/3 Shemp).

All just guesses, but it does look pretty clear there will be a 2nd set, so Sony must be planning to make some real $$$ on these sets.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Your sarcasm is not appreciated!! Not everyone is rich like you. We have other better "shit" to spend our money on. I'm not loaded with dough like Donald Trump, ok!! I spent time transferring my old VHS shorts to DVD. If you even know half the things I did just to get every short on DVD, then you'd know what I mean. But I guess you're too narrow-minded to realize that.

Seriously, I'm not going to participate on this thread anymore if people are just going to get pissed off at me for what I say.

LOL! Rich? I'm 21 years old, I go to college, work full-time, and support myself. Problem is x you take things way too personal. That comment wasn't even directed at you, since a lot of people in this thread said the same thing. I've done everything you have too,  as have a lot of people here.. so don't give me that shit. In every thread you participate in, anybody who remotely disagrees with something you say you explode. That's just how you are. So whatever, but come on.. you'd don't fucking know me, so don't have the balls to accuse me of being "rich". If you saw how frugally I live you'd shit your pants - but again, we're on a Three Stooges Message Board and I would think in order to support these people would buy these anyway.

So what the fuck ever, dude. Calm down.

xraffle

Loco: Take a look

You have no right to comment on reasons why I buy or don't buy things.

Why is this type of behavior going on here, especially on this site? If I wanted to deal with this bullshit, I would've visited the IMDB forums.

FYI, I didn't explode. I just was letting you know that you're comment was uncalled for. It is YOU who is exploding.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Loco: Take a look

You have no right to comment on reasons why I buy or don't buy things.

Why is this type of behavior going on here, especially on this site? If I wanted to deal with this bullshit, I would've visited the IMDB forums.
Again, other people have said the same thing whether it be in this thread or others on the Forum.

If you really didn't want to deal with it, you wouldn't have replied to me in the first place. [pie]

xraffle

just because I have shorts that look some-what good on the old DVDs or recorded off of TV.

I was the only one that gave that reason. I don't recall seeing anyone else who said that. As soon as I told Rob my reasons for passing Volume 2, you made that comment.

Again, I would like to repeat. I didn't explode. You're the one flipping out right now. YOUR problem is that you misread posts and go crazy.

I have no idea what happened to you. You used to be a cool guy. Now, you're acting up. I don't understand.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I was the only one that gave that reason. I don't recall seeing anyone else who said that. As soon as I told Rob my reasons for passing Volume 2, you made that comment.

Again, I would like to repeat. I didn't explode. You're the one flipping out right now. YOUR problem is that you misread posts and go crazy.

I have no idea what happened to you. You used to be a cool guy. Now, you're acting up. I don't understand.
LOL, if you could see the kick I'm getting out of this you'd really see how much I'm enjoying this moreso than "flipping out".

I'm still a cool guy, but we both know you take things too personal on here sometimes.. it's happened before. I mean you've "left" over silly things in the past, let's just chalk this up to a misunderstanding on your part then.

And it has been said by others at some point.. that's why I replied in that manner. I don't feel like digging up threads right now to find specific postings, but a lot of people share the same mentality that they'd be fine with their bootleg set. [pie]

xraffle

Loco: The adminitrators are not going to be happy when they find out what's going on here. So, I'm willing to bury the hatchet. I guess you didn't mean any harm on that post.

xraffle

Offline JazzBill

Settle down guy's. I hate to see two good posters disagree. 

[youtube=425,350]LbQHw3_Prs0[/youtube]

I'm glad you settled it before it came down to this.  :laugh:
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Damn it, it's already broken up. Now what am I going to do with the cage of death that I ordered?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

The main reason why I'm so fast in passing on these sets is because I already have all of the Curly shorts unedited and decent quality, for the most part. When Sony gets up to the Shemp and Joe DVDs, I, without a doubt, will buy every volume that will be released. The Shemp and Joe shorts are the ones I need the most. I have them all, but some are slightly edited and have poor quality. So, I'm trying to save my money for the later volumes when they come out.

BTW, when I said that I will pass on Volume 2, that doesn't mean that I'm going to pass on Volume 3 or any other volume beyond that.