Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 2 Chatter

Guest · 119 · 28770

stooged and confused

Well, there is some encouraging news on the DVD front regarding volume 2. I just got off the phone with my Sony contact and the second set in the series is a go! An official release date has NOT been finalized at this time, but as soon as it is, I was told that she would be sending me an official press release. No information regarding extras has been confirmed, but will be included in the forthcoming press release, if there will be any on the second set.

As far as sales go, it is estimated that approximately a little over 12,000 units were sold for the first set to date. She said that sales were good for this genre, not great, but good. Personally, if they were able to make more people aware by marketing, getting the set into major retailers, reviewed by Entertainment Weekly etc..then sales would surely be better. But, sales are considered good enough to keep things going.

Hopefully, future sets will sell strong and gain public and retail awareness. If a Curly set sells less than 20,000 units, what will happen to the Shemp and Joe set sales?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:16:26 PM by falsealarms »

Offline archiezappa

Hooray!!!  I can't wait to get my hands on Volume 2!!!   ;D  This is so exciting!  I'm glad to hear that sales warrant a volume 2.  Of course, sales would have been better for volume 1 if there were some advertising.  As for Shemp and Joe sets...I think that by that time there will be enough excitement to keep the sets going.  A lot of people probably still haven't heard of Volume 1.  With two volumes out, that will change.  People will take notice and see that there are sets of the Stooges out.  Hey, I didn't notice the Looney Tunes sets until there was volume 2.  This is going to be awsome!!!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
A lot of people probably still haven't heard of Volume 1.

An excellent point, and one that has to be laid at Sony's feet.  If they did anything to advertise the sale of the first volume, I completely missed it.  I only knew the silly thing was coming out thanks to you guys posting the info here.  Considering that I have seen commercials for other, less popular, series coming out on DVD, I am rather disappointed in Sony for making no effort to market their product.

Still, I am pleased that the sales have been sufficient for them to be going on.  I would have been really pissed off if they had just whetted my appetite with the one volume, after waiting so long for the Boys to be done right.  I can guarantee that I'll be buying the next volume.   ;D

Offline metaldams

In my area, you could barely buy the darn thing!  I admit I avoid the mall like the plague, but Best Buy had one copy, which I ended up buying as a present for my brother.  Borders, forget it.  I didn't rush to buy this because I've obviously seen these films 100 times, but still wanted them in better condition and presentation.  I finally bought my copy, on amazon.com, when it was $13.99, yet i still never see it in stores.  I can't speak for other areas, but in northern Delaware, finding a set wasn't easy.  That may explain sales.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

Definitely buying this the day of release at Fry's again.. still.. umm 12,000 for this is FANTASTIC given NO advertising whatsoever. Maybe you could mention that to your contact, Stooged, that if they convinced others in the retail world about it as well as some TV advertisements they could triple that EASILY.

Otherwise, expect the same sales for Vol. 2.. and maybe no possibility of a third Vol. Ugh.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Not excited about the news, but the part about "that sales were good for this genre, not great, but good." made me laugh.

YOU YOURSELF SONY ARE TO BLAME FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was ZERO advertising for this set!  ZERO!!!!  You're lucky to have the sales that you did by simple word of mouth from STOOGE fans who were doing your work basically by telling anyone that they could about the new DVD's!

Whenever Volume 2 is released, I'll pass.  I hate waiting for these to come out and won't even consider buying another Volume until we've hit 4 (by 2010 maybe?!).

Plus Sony seems like the type of company to only do the Volumes that sell well enough, so maybe they won't even do the Shemp years...which would suck major ****!

Oh, and happy birthday Shemp!   8)
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Curley91

It's about time!!!  Maybe our voices CAN be heard!!

I am now looking forward to getting a clean, fresh copy of "Cash And Carry" in my collection.  And "Back To The Woods."  And "3 Dumb Clucks."  Really lookin' forward to it!

Happy birthday Shemp!!   
[cheers]

stooged and confused

At this point, it looks like they're planning on releasing two volumes a year. While Sony has handled the Stooges DVD output poorly in the past, many studios drop the ball on TV series compilations, releasing a few seasons and then stopping.

In regards to the sales figures, 12,000 and counting is pretty good for nothing but word of mouth. The set is still selling briskly on Amazon.

It stands to show that Sony feels if they can move that many units with not spending big bucks (or any bucks, for that matter) to promote it and still only get a core audience who will support it anyway, they more than likely won't sink dollars into a promotion campaign. I do know that restoring the prints takes time and money.

As long as they're happy with the sales and they continue to release them in the original release order and the clarity given on set 1, many of us Stooge fans would be happy with that outcome.

Offline Justin T

Finally some good news! Thanks alot Stooged!

Yeah, im impressed it sold that well with ZERO advertising and publicity from Sony, that 12,000+ sales figure
is thanks to Stooge fans determination and word of mouth since Sony didnt do much to sell it to people.

Still, cant wait for the official press release.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Beatle Bob

Well, there is some encouraging news on the DVD front regarding volume 2. I just got off the phone with my Sony contact and the second set in the series is a go! An official release date has NOT been finalized at this time, but as soon as it is, I was told that she would be sending me an official press release. No information regarding extras has been confirmed, but will be included in the forthcoming press release, if there will be any on the second set.

As far as sales go, it is estimated that approximately a little over 12,000 units were sold for the first set to date. She said that sales were good for this genre, not great, but good. Personally, if they were able to make more people aware by marketing, getting the set into major retailers, reviewed by Entertainment Weekly etc..then sales would surely be better. But, sales are considered good enough to keep things going.

Hopefully, future sets will sell strong and gain public and retail awareness. If a Curly set sells less than 20,000 units, what will happen to the Shemp and Joe set sales?

Thank you for this encouraging news. But, please let you contact know (if you could) that even minimal advertising and a few promo copies sent to reviewers would help sales immensely, as well as having Sony pull all all previous issues of the Stooges on DVD from all retail outlets to avoid confusion in the marketplace -- as sitting alongside the new box set in the shelves (everywhere) seemed to be the Sony colorized DVDs as well as older titles such as "Curly's Classics".

Regards,
Beatle Bob
:)

Offline bbug

Thanks, Stooged.  This is very encouraging news for us us Stooge addicts.

I just hope Sony doesn't shoot itself in the foot by letting their lackidaisical attitude toward advertising slip to the restoration department.  If they eventually drop back to simply re-pressing the old transfers and only work to transfer those shorts not yet digitized, they'll see the unit sales drop from a respectable 12,000 without advertising to almost nothing, whether or not they advertise.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Great News for sure, Now if they can get this second volume into stores and make it more generally available sales will improve.

Get the word out Sony!  Have Stooge contests, givaways(?) givadams whatever, spread the word.

Robin

moe-jo

Get the word out Sony!  Have Stooge contests, givaways(?) givadams whatever, spread the word.
Sell 'Legalize Shemp' T-shirts!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Well, there is some encouraging news on the DVD front regarding volume 2. I just got off the phone with my Sony contact and the second set in the series is a go!

Mike Schlesinger, Sony's classic film library consultant, in the home video division, recently stated on another website...

"Volume 2 (1937-39) is in the works!"

Dog Hambone

I bought my copy on Amazon, too. In fact, that's where I first heard about it. Since I bought the book "One Fine Stooge" (among other things) through their site, they send me emails with news about stuff that I might be interested in, based on my past purchases.

Plus, with the price of gasoline these days, I really didn't want to drive all over town in a wild goose chase looking for it. Hopefully, I will get another Amazon "advertising" email when the new set is released.   

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Hopefully, I will get another Amazon "advertising" email when the new set is released.   

Even if you don't get one, I'll lay odds that someone will post the info here as soon as Amazon starts accepting pre-orders for the new volume.   ;)

Offline locoboymakesgood

Well...

Any bets on a Vol. 3?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Yes.  They need product tie-ins.  I still think that they should cross promote the Three Stooges opening credits t-shirts along side the DVD box sets.  T-shirts available in all colors.  The t-shirts from last year had the first version of the opening credits.  This year, they should release a second version of the opening credits t-shirts.  The opening credits as seen in "Disorder In The Court."  Then, when more volumes come out, they can add a new design with each volume that features different opening credits.  When "You Nazty Spy" is released on DVD, they can release the third version of the opening credits t-shirts.  Then, later on, the last version of opening credits with Curly.  Then, Shemp opening credits and Joe Besser opening credits.  These shirts can come in a wide variety of colors, just like the first set of shirts.  These would be awesome.  They could have contests, giveaways, etc.  They could even have three stooges action figures or something, too.  Imagine having action figures of all six Stooges!  (and maybe throw in Ted Healy and Emil Sitka for good measure).  There is so much potential here.  They ought to put some of us in charge of marketing.  We know the Stooges and Stooges fans.  This could be AWESOME!  If they would only do it.

If they would do it right, Volume 3 would be a given.  And volume 12 would be almost guaranteed.  I sure hope they make all the volumes.

JH24

If Sony can release two or three Seinfeld seasons a year, restored and remastered then i dont see why they're taking there marry time doing the same with 20 or so Stooges shorts that last about 17-19 minutes each.

stooged and confused

There is a major reason why. "Seinfeld" sells tons of units..far more than the Stooges do, so Sony is putting their advertising where they'll get the biggest return. Same goes for their "Spider Man" franchise or a current hit like the teen comedy "Super Bad."

To spend lots of money on a product that a core fan base will buy regardless of marketing dollars, what it will cost to promote versus what their return would be is the obvious factor here.

Plus, only one volume of "Seinfeld" was released with the exception of 2007 when the last two seasons were issued.

Additionally, it takes far more time and money to restore 50-70+ year old film negatives than it does for a current project with far more stable film elements.

stooged and confused

It's a nice thought, ArchieZappa, but don't hold your breath. If Sony can move enough units without spending big bucks for what would essentially be a nominal return, it just 'ain't gonna happen.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Videoeta.com lists "The Three Stooges Collection" for release on May 27, 2008.

A few days ago, Mike Schlesinger of Sony posted on another site that "Volume 2: 1937 - 1939" was forthcoming.

This is all tentative!!!... two pieces of a puzzle taken from two different websites. Nothing is final until Sony itself releases official information. Sony usually sends out press releases 8 weeks prior to the date; we should know specific details in 2 or 3 weeks.

Offline falsealarms

Lots of shorts from 37-39 that I'd especially want with Cash and Carry topping the list. Mutts, Mummy, Oily, Sappy, Curs, and HW&D are also highly desired. Never bought the last two on the old DVDs.

xraffle

A few days ago, Mike Schlesinger of Sony posted on another site that "Volume 2: 1937 - 1939" was forthcoming.

1937-1939? Another three years? I speculated that since Sony planned on releasing 12 total volumes that this next set will be only two years. Well, I guess with the long wait Sony finally decided to add more shorts per set. If this is the case, then maybe Sony isn't so bad after all. Anyway, if this set will cover years 1937-1939, here are the shorts that will be included on the next set:

1.   Grips, Grunts And Groans (1937)
2.   Dizzy Doctors (1937)
3.   3 Dumb Clucks (1937)
4.   Back To The Woods (1937)
5.   Goofs And Saddles (1937)
6.   Cash And Carry (1937)*
7.   Playing The Ponies (1937)
8.   The Sitter Downers (1937)
9.   Termites Of 1938 (1938)
10.   Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
11.   Tassels In The Air (1938)*
12.   Flat Foot Stooges (1938)
13.   Healthy, Wealthy And Dumb (1938)
14.   Violent Is The Word For Curly (1938)
15.   Three Missing Links (1938)
16.   Mutts To You (1938)*
17.   Three Little Sew And Sews (1939)*
18.   We Want Our Mummy (1939)*
19.   A Ducking They Did Go (1939)
20.   Yes, We Have No Bonanza (1939)
21.   Saved By The Belle (1939)*
22.   Calling All Curs (1939)
23.   Oily To Bed, Oily To Rise (1939)*
24.   Three Sappy People (1939)*

*new to DVD

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
So, since the second Volume will be three years, will each year be on a single disk, or will they put as many shorts on one dual-layered disk as they can (to save money)?

If the set is three disks, that means it will probably be more at the store as compared to the 2 disk Volume 1 set.

Something for you all to guess/think about.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone