Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Favorite Stooge "Food"

· 32 · 8286

Dog Hambone

There are a lot of references to various "foods" in the Three Stooges shorts. One that I still fnd myself saying all the time is Moe's preference for eggs. My wife asked me this morning how I wanted my eggs cooked, & of course my stock answer is "Sunny side down. And don't turn them over!."

Also, Shemp's soup recipe using "gloves", "saggy", "powdered bacon" ("What'll they thinka next?"), and the main ingredient, "Fee-Likes Fay-moose consomme-treated soup".

Any nominations for other favorites?   

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Yeah, Moe's comeback quip for Bud Jamison's request for canapés ...
Can-O-peas? ... Oh, you mean the toast with the lace curtains!
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Carrie The Canary

Favorite Stooge food lines"

Moe:  "If there's anything I like better than ketchup and honey, its baloney and whipped cream.....and we haven't got any!".

---

Then there's.....

(in one of the Hitler shorts...forget which one):

A pretty girl is introduced as a spy,  Matti Herring.  Curly kisses her.

"Doesn't taste like herring to me".

---

I also remember the short where the Stooges are in a stateroom of a train.  They see a crab in a plate, ready to eat.  They don 't know what it is, and think its a turtle.  Some girls join them, and they offer them some food.  "Oh, I love crab" says one girl.  Curly snickers to
the other Stooges.  "nyuck nyuck....she don't know its a toy-tul".

moe-jo

ThumpTheShoes

moe-jo

Curly opening up the chicken, pouring water in it, and calling it chicken soup.

Dog Hambone

In G.I Wanna Home, Moe yanks a bunch of turf out of the ground (dirt still attached), boils it in a pot, & serves it to the others as "nice fresh boiled spinach".

Offline Fake Shemp

Yeah... Moe's "nice cold hotcakes smothered in vinegar" from HOKUS POKUS.
And of course, don't forget the infamous "stuff the turkey" bit when Curly literally does what the recipe says. Hilarious. (Separate two eggs, a PINCH of salt, two potatoes diced, etc.)

moe-jo

In Malice in the Palace when Larry cooks hot dogs and he brings them out to Shemp and Moe (remember:  hot dog!  when it comes to cookin', I'm the cat's meow!")  and Shemp and Moe think they're eating the cat and dog, who they thought that Larry killed but are actually under the table making noises.  Hilarious!  And the hot dog licks Shemp and Shemp cries.  It's so funny!

Offline Double Deal Decker

The scene where the boys mistake crab for turtle is in "A Pain In The Pullman," (1936). Moe once recounted how he had the prop department make the "claws" that he ate in that scene out of various things and food coloring. Seems crab was never a favorite of his. He also said that he put the "claw" in his mouth "very gingerly" during the scene. Seems he did not trust the prop department !!! :D

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
"Pump in a few more slices. GAS ON!"

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline FineBari3

"Pump in a few more slices. GAS ON!"

James

Yeah!!!!!

How about the tamales in Three Sappy People?

They are trying to figure out how to eat it; Curly takes the corn husks off, tries the middle part, and makes a 'yuck' sound, and proceeds to eat the husks. Moe just gives the tamale an eye poke!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Fake Shemp

Yeah... The "filet of sole" that Curly fries up when he fishes for one in PLAYING THE PONIES is actually a boot he chops up. That was pretty hysterical, too.

Offline curlysdame

'Gotta love how the Stooges refer to eggs as 'hen fruit' and sometimes 'cackle fruit'  LoL

Also, the diner they own in Busy Buddies has some good stuff, too.  In one scene, Curly is painting a menu which reads:  "Jive Dinners - 2 Bits:  Reat Meat/Jake Cake/ Bloop Soup/Hava Java"  And there's a sign hanging on a wall in the diner that reads, "Can U Take It?  Try Our Hash!"  Just little things I've noticed after watching the shorts so many times...
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Dog Hambone

"What do you all call this cake?"
"Southern Comfort."
"Yes ma'am. Tastes more like southern comforter."

moe-jo

Income Tax Sappy:  Larry has a Curly moment when he battles the lobster bisque.  It's so funny!  And he keeps puttting random things in there and the claw keeps taking them.

Offline Fake Shemp

Income Tax Sappy:  Larry has a Curly moment when he battles the lobster bisque.  It's so funny!  And he keeps puttting random things in there and the claw keeps taking them.

That was pretty amusing, but it is simply a rehash of the classic oyster stew routine in DUTIFUL BUT DUMB, which I like better.

moe-jo

That was pretty amusing, but it is simply a rehash of the classic oyster stew routine in DUTIFUL BUT DUMB, which I like better.
I knew that, and Curly has a problem with the oyster stew.  Isn't that also in A Plumbing We Will Go as well?

Offline curlysdame

I knew that, and Curly has a problem with the oyster stew.  Isn't that also in A Plumbing We Will Go as well?

Nope, no oyster stew in that one...
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

moe-jo

huh, weird...Also, I don't know if you'd consider this a Stooge food moment but in Out West when Moe is behind the bar trying to mix a cocktail and grabs Larry's nose.

How about Larry's wishing for some beer to go w/his hotcakes?   :D  I think "Pardon My Clutch" was the short, but I'm not 100% sure.

moe-jo

Shemp putting his wife's wig in his pancakes or something like that...

Offline Fake Shemp

How about Larry's wishing for some beer to go w/his hotcakes?   :D  I think "Pardon My Clutch" was the short, but I'm not 100% sure.

You're thinking of the remake, WHAM-BAM-SLAM.

Offline archiezappa

I like it in "All The World's A Stooge" when they grab the turkey and start eating it.

Moe:  What would Emily Post say?

Curly: Come and get it!

"Wham-Bam-Slam." Right, I sometimes get remakes confused w/ their originals. How about this bit from "I Can Hardly Wait",,,,,,

Moe,....{putting his plate on the table},..."There we are."

To Larry..."There we are."

To Curly,...."And there we are."

Curly,.."Wait a minute !! You said you were gonna divide everything equal !!"

Moe,..."OH !! Ungrateful, eh?"

Curly,.."YEAH !!!"

Moe,..."WE get a half a slice of ham and a half an egg a piece.
                                                YOU GET a whole egg shell and a WHOLE BONE,...and you're squawkin' !!"  :D