Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Subdivisions - Rush

Offline metaldams

Amazing song, amazing band. "Subdivisions" is one of those rare songs where musicianship, pop sensibility, and meaningful lyrics all come together brilliantly, which is why early 80's Rush is my favorite era of theirs in general.

Love these guys more the older I get.  If anybody's interested, enjoy.

[youtube=425,350]j1qnKJOhKHg[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm not much for the synth sound in general, but if I were to have a theme song like a wrestler it would be Tom Sawyer. Rush ia indeed an excellent band.

BTW Doug, at first cursory glance I thought your avatar meant you hate people from the North. If that were true however, it would probably have a rebel flag in the background instead of baseball bats.  :P
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline DJEvelEd

I saw Rush twice last year. That was a great song live. They also took out Summertime Blues and put in Distant Early Warning into their set. Similiar synth type song. They played it during sound check which was pretty cool.

I thought the new recording was great. Too bad it got no respect on the airwaves. Britney and Emo are more important I guess.

Offline metaldams

I'm not much for the synth sound in general, but if I were to have a theme song like a wrestler it would be Tom Sawyer. Rush ia indeed an excellent band.

I've grown to appreciate synths more when used properly, i.e. creating a cool atmosphere like Rush does as opposed to dance-pop.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I saw Rush twice last year. That was a great song live. They also took out Summertime Blues and put in Distant Early Warning into their set. Similiar synth type song. They played it during sound check which was pretty cool.

I thought the new recording was great. Too bad it got no respect on the airwaves. Britney and Emo are more important I guess.

The latest Rush recording I have is SIGNALS from 1982, and I also have the '81 - '87 RETROSPECTIVE.  The thing is, I really like that compilation, so I plan on digging later into their catalog, even to their more recent stuff.  Based on what I have heard, these guys have never sold out.  Sure, their early 80's stuff may be more commercial than their 70's material, but they never sacrificed their musicianship or plain eccentric qualities.  Besides, as a bass player, I bow to Geddy Lee.

PS: "Distant Early Warning" rocks. 
- Doug Sarnecky