Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Stooges and the Oscars

Offline Robbie883

With the Oscars being tonight, it made me wonder if the boys were ever nominated or recieved any Oscars?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
With the Oscars being tonight, it made me wonder if the boys were ever nominated or recieved any Oscars?

MEN IN BLACK (1934) was nominated for Best Short Film... it did not win.

Offline JazzBill

They lost to a film called "La Cucaracha". Kind of ironic.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline locoboymakesgood

I still find it strange that of ALL 190 shorts, Men in Black was honored.. and they weren't nominated a second time. That's a real shame.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline curlysdame

I dunno about you guys, but I think the Stooges should've been given an honorary Oscar, either in the early 70s, or posthumously
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Beatle Bob

Did the Stooges at anytime during their career appear on an Oscar broadcast, either as a group or solo?

Regards,
Beatle Bob
:)

Offline curlysdame

Did the Stooges at anytime during their career appear on an Oscar broadcast, either as a group or solo?

Good question.  I've always wondered that too!
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

moe-jo

well they had to be at the one they were nominated for right?

Offline Beatle Bob

well they had to be at the one they were nominated for right?

Most soitenly! But, my question was about them attending an Oscar "broadcast". I'm sorry If I wasn't too clear as I'm referring to the award show being televised and if there's any kinescope or video of them attending--whether on stage as presenters (as a group or solo)or in audience shots?

Regards,
Beatle Bob

Offline busybuddy

I think the Stooges dhould have been nominated more. TCM has been showing some of the Oscar winning shorts on OnDemand, and if the type of humor that is these shorts were considered the best of the vest back then, then The Three Stooges must have been way ahead of their time. I love Pete Smith Specialties, but one that was nominated for an Oscar that I saw was the saddest piece of garbage I've ever seen. Then there's that one with Kathleen Freeman everyone thinks is so great about an immigrant maid. I find it terrible.
I think Birdie will go for that!

moe-jo

Most soitenly! But, my question was about them attending an Oscar "broadcast". I'm sorry If I wasn't too clear as I'm referring to the award show being televised and if there's any kinescope or video of them attending--whether on stage as presenters (as a group or solo)or in audience shots?

Regards,
Beatle Bob
that's what I'm saying.  I should hope they had the good manners (especially my man Moe :-*) to show up at the Oscars which they were nominated for Men in Black.

I think the Stooges dhould have been nominated more.
I so agree.  I've never seen Fuelin' Around,[/u] but the Stooge biography says it was one of the funniest shorts. 

And how can they NOT be nominated?  Moe's got Moe-Jo!!!!8) 8) 8)

Offline Waldo Twitchell

I still find it strange that of ALL 190 shorts, Men in Black was honored.. and they weren't nominated a second time. That's a real shame.

Here's an analogy that might make you feel better:
Men in Black didn't win an Oscar.
AC/DC's Back in Black (1980) didn't win a Grammy - it wasn't even nominated.
The Grammy went to Christopher Cross. Back in Black has since become one of the best-selling rock albums of all time.

So much for the critics...

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

No.

Offline busybuddy

No.

Are you sure? Not even when Three Stooges Meet Hercules won for best picture? :D
I think Birdie will go for that!

ThumpTheShoes

Are you sure? Not even when Three Stooges Meet Hercules won for best picture? :D

Paula Abdul voted for that one! "Schlazzer Bejazzer!" I once heard her say!   [pie]

Offline Double Deal Decker

I thought The Stooges were honered by the Academy not too long ago. I could be mistaken, though.