Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Playing post office?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I just realized the man's name in the newspaper article that's being read in Islipp's office is "Woodcock."  Now, unless is Brent's got some story about how that was Felix Adler's great-aunt's hairdresser's college roomate's first boyfriend's name, I'm going to assume that was the writers getting one by the censors.

Her second boyfriend.

The character named in the newspaper article is "Woodcock Strinker," the name of Shemp's character in a couple of his solo shorts... OPEN SEASON FOR SAPS (1944) and JIGGERS, MY WIFE (1946).

Offline metaldams

Her second boyfriend.

The character named in the newspaper article is "Woodcock Strinker," the name of Shemp's character in a couple of his solo shorts... OPEN SEASON FOR SAPS (1944) and JIGGERS, MY WIFE (1946).

Really?  Wow, that's interesting!  That would imply that maybe the name was socially acceptable or at least back then had a different meaning?  I can see getting that one by the censors in a throwaway gag like in HOLD THAT LION, but not as a main character's name.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

Really?  Wow, that's interesting!  That would imply that maybe the name was socially acceptable or at least back then had a different meaning? 

I went to school with a girl whose last name was 'Woodcock.'  And I believe it's a bird, as well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcock
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline metaldams

I went to school with a girl whose last name was 'Woodcock.'  And I believe it's a bird, as well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcock

Well then, that sheds a new light on the name "Woodcock."  I'm convinced then, the name's not dirty, or at least I see why the Hays Code allowed it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

The film "Mr. Woodcock" made it dirty in nature.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)