General Boards > Questions and Answers

When did Curly begin to slip?

<< < (8/9) > >>

Tony Bensley:

--- Quote from: Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 20, 2017, 08:01:25 PM ---Another shorts I've thought Curly gave a good performance on was "Uncivil War Birds" and "Three Little Pirates".

--- End quote ---
I agree regarding Curly's performance in both of these shorts, although his illness does seem more visually apparent in THREE LITTLE PIRATES (1946).

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

archiezappa:
I also noticed in "Crash Goes The Hash" that Curly was not using the "Curly" voice. He was speaking in a lower register. He didn't appear sick at all, just not using that higher voice. Actually, in that short, Bud Jamison looks sickly.

Tony Bensley:

--- Quote from: archiezappa on December 20, 2017, 09:34:24 PM ---I also noticed in "Crash Goes The Hash" that Curly was not using the "Curly" voice. He was speaking in a lower register. He didn't appear sick at all, just not using that higher voice. Actually, in that short, Bud Jamison looks sickly.

--- End quote ---
Well, Bud Jamison did die from Diabetic complications in September, 1944.  :(

Mark The Shark:

--- Quote from: ArPharazon on October 25, 2008, 02:28:52 AM ---quote from wikpedia:  " In Paul "Mousie" Garner's 1985 biography of the Three Stooges, co-written by Joan Howard Maurer, Shemp's wife Gertrude is quoted as saying that after his mild stroke in 1952, Shemp was prescribed an unknown heart medication despite never being otherwise treated for a heart problem. "

So Shemp did have a stroke, and I think they were hinting that the medication for that might have caused the heart attack.  But like you said, we'll never really know.

--- End quote ---

I remember something to that effect being mentioned by Jeffrey Forrester, evidently told to him by Babe Howard. I believe it's in "The Stooge Chronicles" book.

Paul Pain:
Reading this makes me want to think of a different question along the same lines.  We know how Curly was: he pissed his money away as soon as it was in his hands (despite Moe's warnings) and he was a sucker for a lady, being ready for marriage after the first date.

Suppose Jerry had taken Moe's warnings and calmed down his personal life (pick a year... say 1940!).  He takes it easier with the ladies and stops being so wild.  Yeah, he still loves his dogs, but as long they don't eat up the money they're OK.  He takes better care of himself overall, even if he's basically average for the day.  Jerry Howard gets his life back to normal.

Now, given the character Curly is in the shorts, how long does a more-controlled Curly last?  Remember that Curly was already in his forties when he had all the strokes that eventually claimed his life.  The role requires a spastic manchild, and I can't see that lasting him beyond say 1952 just because of age.  What do you all think?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version