General Boards > Questions and Answers

When did Curly begin to slip?

<< < (7/9) > >>

archiezappa:
It seems that his last great performance was Micro-Phonies. If that had been his final film, he would have went out on top. At least, we wouldn't have had to see him obviously in a lot of pain.

Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80:

--- Quote from: archiezappa on December 20, 2017, 07:45:40 PM ---It seems that his last great performance was Micro-Phonies. If that had been his final film, he would have went out on top. At least, we wouldn't have had to see him obviously in a lot of pain.

--- End quote ---

I've thought it was interesting seeing Curly in an up period for "Micro-Phonies" considering he was in a down period for two previously filmed shorts "If A Body Meets A Body" and "A Bird In The Head".

archiezappa:

--- Quote from: Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 20, 2017, 07:48:02 PM ---I've thought it was interesting seeing Curly in an up period for "Micro-Phonies" considering he was in a down period for two previously filmed shorts "If A Body Meets A Body" and "A Bird In The Head".

--- End quote ---

Yes. He was still having some good days at that point, but not many soon after.

Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80:

--- Quote from: archiezappa on December 20, 2017, 07:49:36 PM ---Yes. He was still having some good days at that point, but not many soon after.

--- End quote ---

Another shorts I've thought Curly gave a good performance on was "Uncivil War Birds" and "Three Little Pirates".

Tony Bensley:

--- Quote from: Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 29, 2017, 03:47:23 AM ---To me the first short where Curly seems to be starting to slip is "The Yoke's On Me", Curly doesn't seem 100% energetic in that short.

--- End quote ---
Perhaps, I simply haven't viewed these shorts enough times, but not much if anything in the 1944 shorts really jumps out at me, regarding Curly noticeably slipping.  A BODY MEETS A BODY (1945) does seem an accurate starting point at which any Curly slippage first becomes obvious to casual viewers.

I was very surprised regarding one Forum member actually citing PHONY EXPRESS (1943) as a possible beginning of Curly's slippage, as it was his performance in this short that really hooked me on his unique brand of comedy!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version