General Boards > Questions and Answers

When did Curly begin to slip?

<< < (4/9) > >>

JoeCobbFan:
Curly was the best!

ArPharazon:
I've wondered this for a while and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but what are the chances of Curly's and even Larry's strokes being (in part) the result of all the head bonks, however "light" they might actually have been.  Over so many years and maybe hundreds of bonks, could that have contributed to their strokes?

FineBari3:
Oh, yes..it has been mentioned. I believe it is mentioned a lot in the book 'The Three Stooges The Triumphs and Tragedies of The Most Popular Comedy Team of All Time by Jeff Forrester, Tom Forrester, Joe Wallison'. 

It is a rather controversial subject, I think, because even the cause Shemp's death has been debated. I do wonder if all of that hitting was the reason for Curly's early demise, but he sure loved to live life hard.  He probably also drank and ate the things you aren't supposed to, at least now you aren't.

ArPharazon:
I wouldn't imagine it could have been the only thing, if it was a contributor.  The smoking, drinking and possibly a predisposition towards strokes are other reasons.
Although, Moe isn't known to have ever had a stroke, is he?
Unfortunately, they didn't know much about health risks of any kind in those days, only 75 or so years ago.  We've come a long way and now everything is bad for you.

metaldams:
I know of professional wrestlers, football players and boxers who have suffered from forms of dementia due to several concussions, but then again, I don't think The Three Stooges practiced that level of brutality. 

Hey, I'm know they got hurt at times, and I'm sure the stage act was rougher than the shorts, but Curly supposedly lived a hard life and was usually overweight, and combined with possible genetic factors (if Shemp died of a stroke and not a heart attack), other factors besides Stooging contributed to the man's condition.  As for Larry, he had his strokes in his late 60's and early 70's, just like thousands of other people who never got slapped by Moe.

It's possible the Stooging had some impact on the strokes, but we'll never prove it either way, and I'm more inclined to believe the activities mentioned in the first paragraph are greater risks for brain disease.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version