Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Censored Eleven

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Warner Bros.' library contains a handful of Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes cartoons known as "The Censored 11," withdrawn from television and theatrical distribution in the 1960s due to racial stereotyping.

The "C11" remain a controversial argument... should they rejoin the studio's distribution market? Included in WB's "Looney Tunes Golden Collection" DVD sets? If yes, should they be marketed at face value? Or packaged with 'warning' labels?

Here are several of the "11." Judge for yourself. What do you think?

GOLDILOCKS AND THE JIVIN' BEARS
[youtube=425,350]mkJTdTSQbgg[/youtube]

TOKO JOKIO[youtube=425,350]3_km9IFzzHo[/youtube]

ALL THIS AND RABBIT STEW[youtube=425,350]kk36qmiVBWw[/youtube]

HITTIN' THE TRAIL FOR HALLELUJAH LAND[youtube=425,350]SDCNQoeBLvk[/youtube]

TIN PAN ALLEY CATS[youtube=425,350]KBLssuZGlCc[/youtube]

BUGS BUNNY NIPS THE NIPS[youtube=425,350]-w2F3planCk[/youtube]

COAL BLACK AND DE SEBBEN DWARFS
[youtube=425,350]kGbqBxXckJU[/youtube]

SUNDAY GO TO MEETIN' TIME
[youtube=425,350]Iwr_ECuD68Y[/youtube]

JUNGLE JITTERS
[youtube=425,350]xt---f83q7g[/youtube]

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:12:40 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I don't have a problem including them as a separate DVD in a collection with a warning label. Certainly to do otherwise would be pretending that this history/bigotry never existed. Then people could decide for themselves whether they wanted to watch the disk, not watch it, break it in half, whatever.

I have less of a problem of the Japanese portrayals during WWII. They were our enemies at the time. So a certain amount of propaganda is to be expected. It certainly doesn't rise to the level of showing films of rats and comparing them to the Jews in Europe like the Nazis did.

My 2 pennies,

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I bought the new Warner Brothers "Complete Theatrical Droopy Collection" and It HAS a statement telling people when the discs first start that they contain racial stereotypes and it was a statement for the times and that it was wrong then and its wrong now but are being issued for their historical context. Or sorta like that, but Warners could do that with its Golden Collections and issue the other labeled cartoons. Also the Tom And Jerry missing cartoons could be issued with the same warning.

Remember, someone said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Happy Stooge Year 2008 Everyone,

Robin