Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge Gibberish (especially Moe's)

One of these days I'd like to try transcribing some of the hilarious gibberish used by the Stooges -- especially Moe.

For example, I've started with a line from Half Wit's Holiday:

"Tar yetridy, eeth say. Glug zap snorglotz ramitz. Ronissance kibbaertz..."

(I wonder if the Stooges' lines were written in the books they were holding in that scene, because the beginning of this gibberish sounds like Moe is trying to say "the dirty rat" -- a line from the same scene -- backwards.)

Next I plan to do:
- the corresponding line from Pies And Guys;
- the fake title/author Moe gives for the pantomimed song in Termites Of 1938 (one of the funniest Stooge moments ever, IMO)

Anyone know any other good ones?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

ThumpTheShoes

What about the Maha routine?

Maha?

Aha!

Rajah! 'Ello, doe! You like to speak dat?

I like to talk dat!

Raspbanyas shotchup innafootch ah, timid ick haronge what tisit fut psyche.. this, er, froghead, he asky tasky you got a trick for goodness sakes do some-ting?

Raspbanyas shotchup innafootch ah, timid ick haronge "Pah lee hee ma!"..

And so on and so forth! And I don't like fish cakes, dad-yeeeee!

Curley91

Those three are definetly the most remembered. 
Although, possible others are:

"Pop Goes The Easel," when Moe spouts some wonderfully fake French! 

"Three Arabian Nuts," when he recites some Chinese, or 'knick-knacks!'

However, my favorite is still 'Maha!'

[stooges]

Offline busybuddy

What about Moe and Shemp's discussion about Geronimo from Rico Peurto in Three Dark Horses? I was reciting this routine once and slipped the f-word in there by accident.
I think Birdie will go for that!

From "Pies And Guys":
"Ing gan zomen, ham del LAH, asap bull vist, ee na-NNGG."

From "Termites Of 1938":
"We will now play 'Romannanies Sequideems' by Liederkrantz."

What about Moe and Shemp's discussion about Geronimo from Rico Peurto in Three Dark Horses?
Ohh.. Yotcha benna foochya timina karanja?
Ah, hamsa like a potta luck!

Offline FineBari3

One of these days I'd like to try transcribing some of the hilarious gibberish used by the Stooges -- especially Moe.

A lot of the Stooges gibberish is actually Yiddish!  Can anybody recite some of the Yiddish spoken in the Boy's films, as I cannot remember right now???
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Justin T

A lot of the Stooges gibberish is actually Yiddish!  Can anybody recite some of the Yiddish spoken in the Boy's films, as I cannot remember right now???

In their classic short You Natzy Spy! The exclamation "Beblach!" used several times in the film by the Stooges
is a Yiddish word meaning "beans"

Also, in Mutts to You when Moe and Larry try to fool Bud Jamison into thinking their Chinamen, Larry spouts out a
whole sentance to him mostly in Yiddish, I cant remember exactly what it is but I think its the filmography.

Those are the ones that I know of off the top of my head.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

A lot of the Stooges gibberish is actually Yiddish!
Good point -- hard to tell the difference sometimes, too.

in Mutts to You when Moe and Larry try to fool Bud Jamison into thinking their Chinamen, Larry spouts out a
whole sentance to him mostly in Yiddish, I cant remember exactly what it is but I think its the filmography.
You must mean:
"Huck mir nisht a chynick, and I don't mean efsher!"

Offline Beatle Bob

Yes, most of their "gibberish" is Yiddish and some is "pig latin", which I forgot how to speak and translate ;)

My parents still can speak a bit of Yiddish and they laugh their asses off at things that go right over my head with some of these shorts.

Regards,
Beatle Bob
:)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
And don't forget all the pig latin in "Tassels In The Air"

Moe :"My name is Moe, In pig latin thats Omay"
Larry: My names Larry, Now whats that in pig latin
Curly: Omay
Larry: Its arrylay
Moe: Boy are you umbday
Curly:Am I umbday in pig language
Moe: Your umbday in any language
Moe: Now I'll explain so even you can understand, Larry, Arrylay, Moe, Omay, Curly....
Curly: Curlycue!

Offline Double Deal Decker

Ah,,,igpay atinlay !!!  Ethry Eeethray Oogestay aughtay emay eryvay ellway !!! :D

Offline busybuddy

"Atwhay areyay oingday onighttay? You wouldn't know anything about that would you?"

"Oh-onay."
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline FineBari3

And don't forget all the pig latin in "Tassels In The Air"

Moe :"My name is Moe, In pig latin thats Omay"
Larry: My names Larry, Now whats that in pig latin
Curly: Omay
Larry: Its arrylay
Moe: Boy are you umbday
Curly:Am I umbday in pig language
Moe: Your umbday in any language
Moe: Now I'll explain so even you can understand, Larry, Arrylay, Moe, Omay, Curly....
Curly: Curlycue!

There is a M*A*S*H* episode where Margaret tells Frank to haggle (in pig Latin) with the Korean who carved the head of Col. Potter out of wood, and he haggles badly. She turns to him and says: "Umday."
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Double Deal Decker

Speaking of "Pig Latin", The Bowery Boys series, (a/k/a The East Side Kids), also used quite a bit of it in their movies. I still get a kick out of "Slip's" line to Louie,..."Louieee !!  Cosgrove's an ookcray ooay!!" To which Louie replied,.."So,...Cosgrove's a crook too !!" Great stuff. :laugh:

Offline porcupinefan87

Can I just say that I've always thought it GREATNESS that Curly calls it..."pig LANGUAGE"?! Hilarious!  :D

Another thing...and call me stupid...but when Larry has that line to Lucile Ball...is he asking her "what are you doing tonight?" or something to that effect? Because recently I've been like..."oh there's some innuendo there", but I guess like Curly, I'm "umbday in pig language" haha.
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Dog Hambone

FineBari3,
There was an explanation of Larry's line in Mutts To you on the dot.com guestbook ahile back. I think the line may have started out with gibberish, but it ended up in Yiddish with "huck mir nischt a chynek" (excuse my spelling but I'm not Jewish & I don't know Yiddish), "and I don't mean efsher!". The person that made that post said the line means something to the effect of stop bothering/hassling me and I don't mean maybe (Remember, Larry is talking to Bud Jamison portraying the policeman). 

Offline JazzBill

The toast in Pardon My Scotch, " Ver G'harget " means ( Drop Dead ). In another short they have an address  123 Meshugana Avenue ,  which means ( Crazy ).
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline curlysdame

The cabin scene in "Whoops! I'm An Indian" where the Stooges are sitting (for lack of a better phrase) Indian-style on the floor, dressed in their Indian garb.  The sheriff comes in and says, "You see three paleface 'round here?"  Curly responds, "Me no verstehe." (Yiddish for 'I don't understand')
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

moe-jo

In their classic short You Natzy Spy! The exclamation "Beblach!" used several times in the film by the Stooges
is a Yiddish word meaning "beans"

Also, in Mutts to You when Moe and Larry try to fool Bud Jamison into thinking their Chinamen, Larry spouts out a

Those are the ones that I know of off the top of my head.
There's one in A Pain in the Pullman but I've never seen it so I don't know what they say.