Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rock & Roll Roots ( Music that don't suck )

Guest · 8 · 1606

Offline JazzBill

[youtube=425,350]O8xSgs7VLNM[/youtube]
I really love YouTube !
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Sh!t, that was pretty cool!  Off to itunes I go.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I have a subscription to Yahoo! Unlimited ($70 a year you can listen to all the music they have on file as much as you'd like, I highly suggest it to all music lovers), and am listening to Howlin' Wolf's 3 CD Chess Box now.  I think I'm staying up late tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

He certainly was a talent. He's buried in a cemetery next to the cemetery where some of my family is buried. Here in the Chicago area, even our cemeteries are segregated. I have on a couple of occasions stopped by his grave to pay my respects.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain

Enjoy!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline JazzBill

Wow, you hit it. The second clip you posted ( Mt. Carmel ) is the cemetery were some of my family is buried. We are a stones throw away from the Capone plot. The O'Bannion marker ( one of the tallest in the cemetery ) is the one I use to find my family plot. Across the street from Mt. Carmel Cemetery is Oak Ridge Cemetery, thats where Howlin Wolf is buried. 

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
My Great-grandfather (and great-great-greats!) are in a couple of family mausoleums in Woodlawn in Detroit (Woodward, S. of 8 mile. Of Eminem fame). Think of the Weiss mausoleum in the video... that is about the size of them. One "sleeps" 10, the other 5 or 6. I forget. There are 8 plots behind one of the buildings. My father has no plans to use them beyond "let the 'blacks' (he used a different word, rhymes with jigger) smoke 'pot' back there".

Horace & John Dodge have their mausoleum across the pathway.

50-100 years ago... people used to go to cemetaries and have picnics, tend the flowers around loved one's graves. Now they are shunned and barely visited.

A few years ago... I hired a cleaning woman to help me clean the inside of the 2 mausoleums. I had a generator, shop-vac, ladder, etc. in the back of my truck. So after I vacuum out the spiders & webs, I kick back listening to music while the cleaning woman is wiping off 80-years of grime off the marble. She finally finishes & I shut off the truck to help her pick up stuff... Over the hill, some black family is having a funeral.

Whoops!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

stooged and confused

There is a great book on the blues, Chicago blues and Leonard Chess, the founder of Chess Records. It's called "Machers and Rockers." An interesting read and well worth it if you can find a copy. It came out in 2006 by Rich Cohen and was published by Atlas Books. Many of the great blues artists (Muddy Waters) and early rockers (Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley) recorded for Chess Records.