• Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT
"Why so serious?"

[youtube=425,350]iHufrsP9XMA[/youtube]

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Why isn't Batman the 60's TV series on DVD yet?  Is it a rights issue?  I know that 20th Century Fox produced the show originally. Has the rights lapsed on this show?  Why am I asking so many questions?  Why Can't I stop asking so many questions?...........................maybe.....The Dark Knight knows......

Robin

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Why isn't Batman the 60's TV series on DVD yet?  Is it a rights issue? 

Rights issues...

- 20th Century Fox owns the show
 - Warner Brothers owns the "Batman" trademark thru its DC Comics division (Time-Warner acquired DC in 1977)
 - Producer William Dozier's estate also has an ownership stake in the show, aka Greenway Productions

A Columbia House VHS series was set for 1989, but derailed when Fox balked at the amount of DC's trademark licensing fee.

Fox and DC came to terms a couple years ago, with partnering help from Lorne Michaels' Broadway Video label.

But no sooner did that happen, than Dozier's family sued Fox for nonpayment of TV syndication profits.

Reportedly, the Dozier lawsuit is recently settled. If so, it's back in Fox's court, assuming it and DC can re-establish a royalty deal. Lorne Michaels may or may not still be involved.

Note...
The BATMAN movie from 1966 has not been affected by all this; it's original 1966 production agreement between the parties provided for the possibility of future "alternate" distribution venues; William Dozier reportedly was the one with that foresight, after the TV series proved to be a huge success. It's had numerous home 8mm, VHS, laser disc and DVD releases in the past 40 years.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
yeah, I've seen that movie in the discount DVD bins at Wally World and Target...Still did not pick it up for some reason, now I haven't seen it for a year or more...oh well, ya snooze ya lose....

Good thing Sony and Comedy III don't have that much hassle or We would not even have any Stooges to watch at all.

Thanks for  all the info....guess DC did not have any problems with Superman coming out on DVD though.....

Robin

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
guess DC did not have any problems with Superman coming out on DVD though.....

The SUPERMAN movies are Warner Brothers. Warner owns DC.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Actually I was thinking about the 50's TV show. Perhaps that has before all the hoopla, or cleared beforehand as I know thats been out for several years that series.

Robin

Offline locoboymakesgood

The 60s Batman has been tied up for awhile. It's a shame, I liked it when I was a kid.

Oh and that trailer is hysterical. Thanks for sharing!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Actually I was thinking about the 50's TV show.

The SUPERMAN TV series is owned by Warner Bros.