Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Super Bowl 42

Offline falsealarms

How about the G-Men? Upended the previously undefeated Patriots, 17-14, and handed them their first loss of the year. The Patriots, who were 12 point favorites, were vying to become only the second NFL team to win every game in a single season (counting playoffs). The other team was the 72 Dolphins.

This is the greatest single-game upset of my lifetime (1985-pres). People a little older would say Miracle on Ice (1980, US-Soviets Olympic hockey) which still likely trumps tonight's Giants upset. Either way, this Giants win will be talked about for decades to come. It puts them in NYC sports lore alongside the Namath Jets, the 69 Miracle Mets and the 94 Rangers.

How Manning avoided that sack is beyond me and how Tyree hung onto that pass is also beyond me - one of the greatest plays I can remember. See it here: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8067d05e

;D

JH24

Was a fantastic win and one of the biggest upset but if you know anything about Soccer what ranks higher in your eyes Greece winning Euro 2004 or this Giants win?

Offline falsealarms

Was a fantastic win and one of the biggest upset but if you know anything about Soccer what ranks higher in your eyes Greece winning Euro 2004 or this Giants win?

I don't know about you, but I'm an American. Therefore, I know nothing about soccer :)

JH24

Im Australian so thats why i know abit.  ;D

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I wanted the Giants & the points, but I found no one to take the bet. Who knew they could win?

Greatest sports moment? I'd have to give it to a lame Kirk Gibson smacking a homerun for the LA Dodgers in the World Series to win the game and turn the momenum in their favor.

James

PS. What is this soccer? Is it a team or a game?
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

JH24

I wanted the Giants & the points, but I found no one to take the bet. Who knew they could win?

Greatest sports moment? I'd have to give it to a lame Kirk Gibson smacking a homerun for the LA Dodgers in the World Series to win the game and turn the momenum in their favor.

James

PS. What is this soccer? Is it a team or a game?

Lol, i bet if i asked you who David Beckham is and what sport he plays you'd be able to answer me.

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Who? David Beckham?  ??? Is he a friend of yours?

Certainly not as great an athlete as Steve Yzerman or even "Grapes" (Don Cherry).

James

Offline falsealarms

At least I know who Beckham is. And Freddy Adu. And Brandi Chastain.

Offline Justin T

How about the G-Men? Upended the previously undefeated Patriots, 17-14, and handed them their first loss of the year. The Patriots, who were 12 point favorites, were vying to become only the second NFL team to win every game in a single season (counting playoffs). The other team was the 72 Dolphins.

This is the greatest single-game upset of my lifetime (1985-pres). People a little older would say Miracle on Ice (1980, US-Soviets Olympic hockey) which still likely trumps tonight's Giants upset. Either way, this Giants win will be talked about for decades to come. It puts them in NYC sports lore alongside the Namath Jets, the 69 Miracle Mets and the 94 Rangers.

How Manning avoided that sack is beyond me and how Tyree hung onto that pass is also beyond me - one of the greatest plays I can remember. See it here: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8067d05e

;D

I couldn't have put it better myself. One of the biggest upsets in Super Bowl history and prob all of sports. The Giants outplayed the Pats in every
facet of the game, they wanted it more and they played so hard, you could see it. Just an amazing performance by the Giants Defense and
by Eli Manning. His game winning drive was like those of Montana, Elway, and his opponent Brady. The way he avoided that sack and found Tyree
downfield and that catch Tyree made was AMAZING. My jaw was on the floor, I couldn't believe it.

Congrats to the Giants, they earned that Super Bowl Championship and made history in the process.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Both teams gave a piss-poor performance on offense. The total combined score was one of the lowest in Super Bowl history. Brady was sacked not once, not twice, but twelve times?! What the hell was that! Manning could barely even get the ball down the field half the game, but I was shocked with that last minute touchdown by the Giants. Then of course it's Pats last turn for offense and Brady is sacked once again.

I was overly disappointed. I don't like the Patriots so I am glad the Giants won, but if it wasn't for Favre's fuck-up at the end of the game against the NYG a few weeks ago this would have made for a much-more interesting matchup. Commercials were weak; half-time sucked - then again it has ever since Nipplegate.

Meh. I seem to remember having more fun watching the Super Bowl as a kid.

On a final note, with his overall turnout in yesterday's game, Brady didn't deserve to win. I realize he helped the team get to where they were, but man he blew it big time. Definitely not one of the better ones I've watched; I was more excited last year when the Colts were up agains the Bears.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline FineBari3

Here in the Pittsboigh area, where football is part of our lives from birth on, there were TONS of cars out on the highway yesterday, right before and during the first quarter.

(I was coming up from a weekend in scenic Wheeling, WV).

I enjoyed the last few minutes of the game, other than that, I could have cared less. We in Steeler Country have no stomach for the Cheat-triots. Their coach really showed some class last night, not staying on the field for the last play.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Curley91

I thought this was a heck of a game.  It was a shock to see the Patriots lose for once!  The Giants really outplayed them. 

Again, it was a relatively low-scorer compared to some of the other ones.  However, it had to be the biggest upset in NFL history.  I couldn't believe that final Giant's touchdown.  Manning avoided being sacked, and threw a great pass to Tyree.  The final play for the Patriot's offense just put the icing on the cake.  The Giants had a great defense.      

They just didn't seem to be moving the ball as they should have been.  Tom Brady was sacked WAY too much.

However, they still have 4 Super Bowl rings from the past 7 years. 

I am glad the Giants won, but if it wasn't for Favre's fuck-up at the end of the game against the NYG a few weeks ago this would have made for a much-more interesting matchup.
Being from Wisconsin, I was disappointed to see the Giants walk away with the NFC victory.  I would have loved to see the Pack go all the way again.  It would have definetly been a much more interesting game.     

Brett will never hear the end of that blunder.   :'(   

JH24

Who? David Beckham?  ??? Is he a friend of yours?

Certainly not as great an athlete as Steve Yzerman or even "Grapes" (Don Cherry).

James

No, he's the English soccer player who is now earning more money from a sport that isnt loved in America as probably every Baseball, football, basketball player in America. Not that i care because i know how much soccer sucks in America and personally i prefer Basketball.

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Basketball? Oh man... it takes like a 1/2 hour to play the last 2 minutes. They seriously need to speed that game up with no time outs and use 2 or 3 balls at the same time.

Hockey? Now you're talking! It's like football on ice with hitting and fights! I used to play when I was younger.

Now, I just partake in tonsil-hockey!  :o

James

Offline Double Deal Decker

Congrats to the Giants. I'm not much of a football fan, but it is always nice to see something unexpected happen once in a while. (Actually,...I didn't see it happen. I went to bed after the half time show !!!  What a knucklehead, huh???  ;D)

Offline metaldams

I was a Giants fan as a kid, but baseball's my sport now.  I watched the game with my brother (a Pats fan), and my friend who's a Steelers fan.

All I know is the highlight of my night was saying, "These commercials suck, we need Carmen Electra."  A few minutes later, there she was!  Three bibs were handed out for all the drool us guys were releasing amidst the hooting and hollering. 
- Doug Sarnecky

moe-jo

crap crap crap crap crap crap crap!!!!  This Super Bowl leaves me with more questions than did Hurricane Katrina!

How can the Patriots lose to the Giants?  And how did the Giants become so good they got to the Supet Bowl?  I mean when they had Kerry Collins they sucked but now they have Eli and it's like...*insert astronomy analogy here*