Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Besser, DeRita solos

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Jitter Bughouse was kinda funny, never saw that one before, thanks for the link. Liked when DeRita was dancing with the landlady, He looked better with Hair!.

Robin

Offline falsealarms

Caught on the Bounce - parts of it has them on a train, likely the same train set used for "Cookoo on a Choo Choo" - both films were made in 1952.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Yeah, except it was Tiny instead of Carrie (the canary).  I rather enjoyed that solo Besser short, He actually has some funny bits, and the eating fudge/chewing tobacco reminded me of Quiz Whizz. Although Junior was a little annoying (kinda like a child Besser I presume, nice typecasting on that).

Most Solo Bessers I have I enjoy, Not so much with the Solo  DeRitas, although, I did enjoy Jitter Bughouse, The Good Bad Egg was good for the fact It featured Vernon Dent. (everyones favorite)

Robin

Offline locoboymakesgood

Slappily Married looks like it was written for Shemp, and looking at DeRita's hair it looks like it could have been.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline 2reelers

SLAPPILY MARRIED was originally written for Andy Clyde as A MAID MADE MAD. It's merely another Columbia remake, as are all of DeRita's solo shorts. It's my favorite of the DeRita's though.

I'm surprised by how well DeRita worked as a solo star (and by his "Shemp hair" in places!).  Judging from "Bounce," though, I think Besser generally worked better as a Stooge (believe it or not).

Several notable appearances by Stooge co-stars in these.  I'm surprised no one mentioned Emil Sitka's appearances in "Jitter Bughouse" & "Egg".

Also note the use of the phrase "Cheerio, pip-pip, and all that rot" in "Jitter Bughouse" (slightly predating its use in "Heavenly Daze") and, in the same short, the frequent Stooge-ism "Where men are men & the women are glad of it."
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline metaldams

Wanna thank you for posting this!  A few years ago we were all dying to see this stuff but technology has made things a bit easier.  There's tons of good Hal Roach stuff if you look for it.  I'll have to share some of what I've found soon.
- Doug Sarnecky