Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hello from an old friend.

Offline metaldams

Some of you may remember me, others won't, but it's Metaldams, creator of tournaments, and I'd just like to say hi to everyone.  I actually have a computer from the 21st century instead of the old piece of junk and the site's coming up much better for me now!  I can also do youtube and itunes and go on websites like mlb.com, so the Internet's a much better place for me now.

Look forward to all the conversation I plan on having, and uh...go Red Sox!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Welcome back!

I was off of the site too, as it took forever to load with my dialup modem.

I too, have joined the 21st century and got a cable modem!   [dance]

Yeah, friggin YouTube is great!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

Glad to see you back. It's been a long time since I last seen you on.

As for me, I'm only partially in the 21st century. I do have a cable modem, but I don't have an HDTV. I still have a bulky CRT standard TV. The reason I bring it up is because everyone tells me how crazy I am to still have a CRT TV as it has been obsolete for quite some time. Apparently, I'm the only one in the world without an HDTV. It sucks, but HDTVs are way overpriced, IMHO.

Offline falsealarms

Glad to see you back. It's been a long time since I last seen you on.

As for me, I'm only partially in the 21st century. I do have a cable modem, but I don't have an HDTV. I still have a bulky CRT standard TV. The reason I bring it up is because everyone tells me how crazy I am to still have a CRT TV as it has been obsolete for quite some time. Apparently, I'm the only one in the world without an HDTV. It sucks, but HDTVs are way overpriced, IMHO.

There are/were CRT-based HDTVs.

xraffle

There are/were CRT-based HDTVs.

When I went to Circuit City the other day, there weren't any CRT TVs in the store. I asked one of the employees if they carried any and he said no because they've become obsolete. I do see some CRTs online, but very few, but they're still quite high as well, about $500. There aren't that many though. I guess nobody likes bulky TVs anymore. Everyone wants a nice flat HDTV for $1,000. I must be crazy, but paying over $500 is too much of a burden on my wallet. I bought my 20" standard TV for only $200 and expect to pay around the same for an HDTV as well.

Offline FineBari3

I'm going to join in the bitch session too!

How about having to pay extra on one's cable or dish network for the HDTV signal?  [shrug]

I bought a 47" DLP HDTV last year, and I love it; the mirrors make black and white films look luminescent. I do, however, have a problem with paying even more money to my crummy cable company to get 20 HD channels. I can wait a few more years.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Welcome back Metaldams!

I wish all channels were monthly pay-per-view. I view a channel once and they bill me $1-2/month, or something similar to pay as you go. I watch maybe 6-10 channels in a typical month. I don't watch the other 60 so why should I subsidize them?

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline metaldams

Hey guys, I don't have HDTV either, nor do I have the desire.  Sure, someday I'll cave in when that's all that's on the market, but I've been fine with a regular TV for years and feel no need for a change.  I do have digital cable now but it's a waste since the only TV I watch is baseball games and TCM.

I absolutely love downloading music and ipods, which is new to me also.  When you have as many CD's as I have, it's really nice to be able to take an entire collection with me to one place AND not have to worry about having all these bulky CD's.  If I can find a safe way to protect my music on my computer, I may just sell my CD collection and get some $ as well as save space.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Hey guys, I don't have HDTV either, nor do I have the desire.  Sure, someday I'll cave in when that's all that's on the market, but I've been fine with a regular TV for years and feel no need for a change.  I do have digital cable now but it's a waste since the only TV I watch is baseball games and TCM.

I absolutely love downloading music and ipods, which is new to me also.  When you have as many CD's as I have, it's really nice to be able to take an entire collection with me to one place AND not have to worry about having all these bulky CD's.  If I can find a safe way to protect my music on my computer, I may just sell my CD collection and get some $ as well as save space.

I bought an external drive that was 120G for the purpose of backing my music up. That way, you can have at least one back up copy of all of your music.  I think you can get large external drives for under $80 now.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

xraffle

I have digital cable. It's really expensive. I don't want to even want to know how much extra it would cost to upgrade to HD service.

I can't imagine. If I were to buy an HDTV for about $1,000, which is the standard price for one today, that's going to drain my bank account. But that's not all. I have to upgrade to HD service. Then, I need to buy a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player and those are around $500. Then I'll have to get movies which are around $30 each. Now that will drive me to the poor house. I don't crap money so I don't mind remaining in the 20th century.

Anyway metaldams, I didn't mean to get this thread off-topic. Great to have you back!!

Offline falsealarms

I have digital cable. It's really expensive. I don't want to even want to know how much extra it would cost to upgrade to HD service.

I can't imagine. If I were to buy an HDTV for about $1,000, which is the standard price for one today, that's going to drain my bank account. But that's not all. I have to upgrade to HD service. Then, I need to buy a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player and those are around $500. Then I'll have to get movies which are around $30 each. Now that will drive me to the poor house. I don't crap money so I don't mind remaining in the 20th century.

Anyway metaldams, I didn't mean to get this thread off-topic. Great to have you back!!

Digital cable for me is about $45-50 a month. The HD set top box was a free "upgrade" from the digital box and many HD channels are free. There's a handful extra that I get for 4.00 a month. I have a CRT-based HDTV bought back in 2004, before HD became "the" thing. Flat screen prices have gone way down since.

Offline metaldams

Hey man, don't worry about it, it's cool.  Saying hi to somebody for an entire thread can only be interesting for so long anyway.

...and FineBari, thanks for the advice.  I'm going to have to invest in one of those external drives.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Yeah,  most electronic stores you go to now only sell LCD or Plasma TVs, The prices are getting lower all the time. Feb 17th, 2009 is the date of the switchover to all digital HD programming but your old CRT TV will still work, if you want HD on your old (obsolete?) TV you just get a box from a cable or Sattelite company. It will still work, just the clarity is not as good.

A K Mart near me that has been there quite awhile had several CRT TV's on display (and the reception was crap, by the way) Guess they still run an old analog signal on em.

Stores love the HD's and they will tell you anything to get you to buy one of those fancy smancy new ones.  They don't tell you though that you can put rabbit ears on the new sets and pull your local stations in great HD quality out of the air., (no money in that after you buy the set from them)

Robin

xraffle

Many people are saying that the prices of HDTVs are getting lower, but I don't think they're that much lower. My uncle just bought a Sony Bravia LCD 32" HDTV for $1,100 at Sears. That's still quite pricey, if you ask me.

Sometimes, I wonder if, in 2009, they will also do away with digital cable and make everything HD. The way the world is going, I won't be surprised.

Offline FineBari3

...and FineBari, thanks for the advice.  I'm going to have to invest in one of those external drives.

Hell, watch the sales at Best Buy and Circuit City! They are even cheaper now than what I paid back in the summer!

E-Z to hook up and run, too!   [thumbsup]
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Senorita Rita

Hey, Metal! Nice to see that you're still around.
I too decided to return from the grave after a few years. And with a new Mac and no more dial-up, this site is much easier to navigate than it used to be.
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hey Doug, how are they hanging? I had some computer problems recently which have been fixed, so I'll be around more. Hopefully I won't have to post much, since most of my postings deal with the administrative end. Hello to all the newbies I see; I'm the cynical hardass who does most of the banning and whatnot.

I guess I'm stuck in the 19th century as I hardly ever watch any television. Most of what's on is pure shit, and I feel as though I have better things to do.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Glad you're still among the living... Shemps#1! Have a pie!

[pie]

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline metaldams

Thanks guys, great to be back, and there's actually some semblance of life on this board!
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I guess I'm stuck in the 19th century as I hardly ever watch any television. Most of what's on is pure shit, and I feel as though I have better things to do.

It's nice to have both of the moderators back! I agree that most of the stuff on television is just crap. Nothing but stupid reality shows. It's sickening. I rarely watch what's on TV. I have a nice collection of DVDs on my shelf and that's what I watch the most.

Offline metaldams

Baseball and TCM for me, nothing else.  DVD's are a serpearte thing.
- Doug Sarnecky

stooged and confused

I'm with you guys on this one. Everything is some lame "reality" show. The greatest thing that happened to grade Z celebrities and general no talents is this reality TV boom. Granted, it's cheap to produce, but I have better things to do with my time. And how many CSI and Law and Order shows does one need?

I got so fed up with the state of TV broadcasts, that I took out the cable completely. I was throwing away $45 a month for nothing. I never turned on the cable and watched TV. The only time I turn my set on is to watch a DVD.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I am basically with you guys on the overall quality of TV "programming" these days, although I have heard the same kind of complaints from people for the last forty years, so it's not really a new problem.

I tend to have the TV on a lot, but I almost never watch anything on the old broadcast networks.  (I had to add the "almost" in there, since I found myself actually watching a CBS program last night, called "Jericho," but that was only because I came across the program on SciFi first.)  Most of the time the boob tube is on either Comedy Central, the SciFi channel, TCM or one of the movie channels (assuming I'm not playing one of our hundreds of DVDs and VHS tapes.)

While the TV is on a lot, that doesn't mean I pay a great deal of attention to it.  Much of the time it is primarily just background noise.  I have my home PC set up in the living along side of my recliner, with my wireless keyboard in my lap and the wireless mouse on the arm of the chair.  I spend most of my time reading articles on the Internet or writing code, so usually I am just half-listening to the TV and only look up if something catches my ear.

Offline JazzBill

Hello Jim....... Nice to see you back. I was wondering what happened to you. I thought maybe you and metaldams ran off together...... Bill     ;D
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Hello Jim....... Nice to see you back. I was wondering what happened to you. I thought maybe you and metaldams ran off together...... Bill     ;D

Jim and I have Sox in common, not sex.
- Doug Sarnecky