Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

California Dreamin' Part 2

Offline garystooge

Last year, a few members of the “Three Stooges Journal” research team ventured out to California to attend the Stooges’ supporting actress reunion in Burbank and visit Stooges filming locations, gravesites, etc.  I posted a day-by-day diary of our trip and people seemed to enjoy reading about our adventures.
     Well, we’re at it again. Brent, Jim, Frank and I arrived in LA on Saturday for a full week of Stooging. While much of last year’s trip revolved around Stooges sight-seeing and the reunion, this year’s excursion is more research-oriented in nature. If you get bored easily, PLEASE STOP READING NOW as it is unlikely that you will find the exploits of 4 middle-aged Stooges fans to be of interest.
     Upon our lunchtime arrival, we were so gung-ho that instead of going to the hotel to check-in, we headed straight to the LA Public Library with all our suitcases and gear in tow.  Each of us got a jump on some the areas we will be researching during the upcoming week. Those areas of interest to us are: filming locations (Jim), missing/alternate/unfilmed scenes (Brent), identifying and locating supporting players (Frank), and Stooges live appearance dates & venues (me).
     For our evening activity, we got together with supporting actress Lorna Gray (Adrian Booth Brian). We first met Adrian at the fan club convention in 1995 and she has become our good friend over the years. Last year we asked her to do an interview for the Journal over dinner. What we didn’t realize was that it was Valentine’s Day and the restaurant we went to (with no reservation) was packed. When the hostess found out that Adrian had worked with John Wayne were seated almost immediately, but when I got home and listened to the audio tape of the interview, the noisy din of the restaurant completely drowned out Adrian’s comments.
     Anyway, we told her what happened and so she invited us to her house to do the interview over again. We talked for quite awhile about her Stooges films (“You Nazty Spy”, “Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise”, “Three Sappy People” and “Rockin Thru the Rockies”), her years at Republic and much more.  Then we took her out to dinner and heard more of her recollections about the golden days of Hollywood. For a 90-year old lady she’s still very sharp and gets around fairly well. She sends her regards to her Stooges friends.
     Sunday morning, we set out around 10AM for a trip out to Thousand Oaks to have lunch with supporting actresses Gloria Patrice (“Rhythm & Weep”) and Sylvia Lewis (“Bedlam in Paradise”).  While they didn’t have extensive contact with the Stooges, both are very charming ladies and we enjoyed hearing them reminisce about their years in show business.
    We had planed to spend the afternoon with Emil Sitka’s son, Saxon. Unfortunately, Saxon wasn’t feeling well so we had to go to plan “B”. We decided to visit Emil’s gravesite in nearby Camarillo and pay our respects to “The Fourth Stooge”.  Emil’s grave marker is fittingly engraved with his famous “Hold hands you lovebirds” line. We took some pictures and then decided to head back to LA to check out a site that Jim believes was used in filming one of the Stooges’ early shorts. While taking some pictures of the area to compare with the short, we ran into Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman who were out for a walk.  Jim told them about the Stooges research we were doing and Danny seemed interested so we gave him our business cards in the event he might want to visit the Stoogeum the next time he’s in Philly.
    Our evening activity was a trip to “The Comedy Store”,  a comedy club on Sunset Strip which was the starting ground for many well-known comics. Sunday is “pot luck” night, which means you never know who will come up to the mike. We saw about 20 different local and rising comics that we had never heard of perform, then they announced that Andrew Dice Clay had stopped in and he did about 20 minutes of stand-up. Brent made the mistake of wearing his Laurel & Hardy sweatshirt which became the butt of some good-natured ribbing from several of the comics. All-in-all, a great way to end our day.
MORE TO COME……..

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Thanks Gary... I wish I could be there with you. Please keep us informed.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Justin T

Man I'm so jealous, sounds like you guys are having alot of fun out there.

Looking foward to more.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Keep us posted, Gary. I live in California and never have been able to do what you're doing, so needless to say I'm really jealous! ;D

Can't wait to hear more of your story!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Hope the rest of you guys weekend went as well.  I enjoy the then and now pics in the journal and stare to pick out the same stuff and what looks different. Should have asked Danny DeVito who his favorite stooge was? (or did you?). 

Thanks again for the California update.

Robin

Curley91

Dang!  That is really fantastic.  It sounds like loads of fun!

I'll be comin' to read more when it's posted.

Offline garystooge

Before I report on today’s activities, I neglected to mention that on the way back from Camarillo on Sunday, we made a stop at the Motion Picture Country Home in Woodland Hills. We had a two-fold purpose in the visit. First off, that’s where Larry Fine spent the last few years of his life after his major stroke and we wanted to check the place out.   But secondly because Frank thought maybe some Stooges supporting players might be currently living there. He’s been researching a number of players that he has reached a dead end on, doesn’t know whether they are alive or dead, and has no more leads to check on. He got to thinking, although it would be a long shot, maybe one of them might be at the Home. Unfortunately, because of privacy laws, etc it’s not so easy to find out who is a resident there. But Frank sweet-talked someone in the office into giving him a contact who agreed to look over a list of players that Frank would send and let us know if any of them were currently residents at the Home. He’ll definitely be following up on this soon.
     Anyway, today (Monday) was our first of what will be several visits for us to the Margaret Herrick Library. This is the library maintained by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. It’s the  kind of place where a film researcher feels like he has died and gone to heaven. The place is filled with stills, scripts, posters, contracts, studio publicity materials, industry trade publications, etc.   Most importantly for us Stooges fans, it’s where Jules White donated his collection of stills (5,000+) and scripts (500+). You do need to go thru some hoops to look at the stuff (make an advance appointment, have legit research credentials, face tighter security than Ft. Knox, handle the photos wearing one-size-fits-none gloves, and make notes in pencil only) BUT IT IS WELL WORTH IT!
   Brent made some interesting script discoveries which will be the subject of future issues of the Journal, while Frank and I found some great stills and news clippings.  Many of the stills have a “snipe” on the back of them, a small strip of paper glued to the still which describes the scene and names the actors who are pictured. The snipes helped us identify several obscure supporting players.
     After spending the entire day at the Herrick Library (even skipping lunch, a highly unusual occurrence as anyone who knows us can attest), we headed out to Sherman Oaks to see supporting actress Beverly Warren (“Molly the glamour girl” from “Three Loan Wolves”) and her husband Charles Gherardi. You might remember Charles….he played “Ayatollah Khomeini” in the “Naked Gun” movie. Anyway they invited us to their house for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. We first met Beverly at the 2003 fan club meeting and have seen her several times since then as she & Charles have become our good friends. After going out for dinner we returned to their house for dessert, and a sampling of their Remy Martin cognac that Charles is fond of. After taking a few pictures, we hit the road so as not to wear out our welcome.
MORE TO COME…….

Offline garystooge

Yesterday (Tuesday) was spent doing some intense research at the Herrick Library. We arrived when the doors opened at 10AM and stayed straight thru until 6PM.  Towards the end of the day we discovered that there was more Stooges stuff than we previously knew about. We had been concentrating on the Jules White Collection and the library’s core collection for materials up to that point. But it turns out that there are several other “special collections” housed at the library which contain photos and other materials of Stooges interest. We were all really excited about this and planned to return on Thursday to start digging deeper into what was available.
     That evening, Brent and Jim went to a Laurel and Hardy film event, which Frank & I decided to skip. We opted to have dinner on the Sunset Strip at a restaurant with outdoor tables that are well-positioned for people-watching.  And believe me, the area has an interesting mix of people to watch.  While I was most interested in the high percentage of attractive females walking around, we also saw a number of she-males, Hollywood types, gays, college kids, homeless vagabonds, aging hippies and tourist gawkers like ourselves.
     After dinner, I decided to walk down the Strip to the Trocadero. That’s the nightclub where Ted Healy got involved in the fight which preceded his death. I always wanted to have a drink where Ted must have had a drink or three back in the day.
      Today (Wednesday) we decided to take a ride down to Newport Beach to have lunch and spend the afternoon with supporting actresses Nancy Saunders (“I’m a Monkey’s Uncle”, “The Ghost Talks”, “Brideless Groom”) and Patricia Wright (“Cuckoo on a Choo Choo”). The girls were very happy to see us again as they have each had to endure some hardships since we saw them last year (Patricia lost her husband and Nancy has had some health issues).  We have tried to offer whatever support we could and I think really they appreciate our caring and concern. 
     After lunch we went back to Patricia’s house and looked at some of her old photos before saying our good-byes and hitting the road.
     On the way back, we decided to stop at Hillside Memorial Park to visit Moe Howard’s grave. Moe is interred there next to his wife Helen.  We also visited Producer/Director Norman Maurer’s grave while we were there.
     From Hillside we took a trip over to the Rancho Park Golf Course. That’s the site where the golf scenes from “Three Little Beers” were filmed.  Around the corner from Rancho Park we stopped on Motor Ave. That’s the street we see when the Stooges’ beer truck makes a quick getaway from the golf course towards the end of the short.
     For dinner we went to an Italian restaurant called Vitello’s. It’s best known as the place where Robert Blake shot his wife.  Anyway, Wednesday night there is “opera night” and patrons from the restaurant get up and sing opera.  We were hoping to hear “Voices of Spring” or the “Sextet from Lucy”, but no such luck.  As you can probably imagine, we wanted to flick cherries into the mouths of some of the more amateur singers.
     After dinner we drove by the former residences of Moe, Shemp and Joe DeRita, and then stopped for a few drinks at a restaurant/bar that Moe used to own called “The Money Tree” (now called “Lucy’s 51”).
MORE TO COME…….

Offline locoboymakesgood

Man, sounds like you guys are having the times of your life!! Can't wait to hear more!

Offline garystooge

Today (Thursday), it was back to the Herrick Library bright and early for more research.  The staff members there are probably sick of us by now, but most of them have been very helpful and they are doing a great service “for duty and humanity” by helping us find the stuff we are looking for.
      While we were there this morning, I came across a great folder of “set reference” stills from “Soup to Nuts”, something I had never seen before. These are photos of the various sets to be used in the film, but no actors are pictured, only the set itself and sometimes a director’s clapboard establishing the scene number which that set would be used for. The interesting find here was that several stills were taken on a boat, in the middle of a large body of water.   Since there are no scenes on a boat in the film itself, the $64,000 question is, was there a scripted or filmed scene that didn’t make it into the film? That will be a research topic for one of our future visits.
     While Frank, Brent and I were at the library, Jim decided to spend the morning re-visiting the Stooges steps from “An Ache in Every Stake”.  We had all been to the steps before.   For Jim, however, a trip to the steps is a religious experience and he feels compelled to stop there every time he visits LA.  In fact, he’s photographed and filmed the steps from every conceivable angle ( including a police helicopter), and using every medium known to mankind. The fact that he had a new digital video camera was merely a convenient excuse to make another trip. But since he's the one who discovered the location  of the steps, the rest of us are pretty tolerant of his need for re-visitation.
    This afternoon, we all met up for lunch in Studio City with “Entertainment Tonite” film critic  Leonard Maltin. Leonard is a long-time Stooges fan and honorary member of The Three Stooges Fan Club, and he even visited the Stoogeum last year. As we entered Art’s Deli, he pointed out a table in the back which he said was often frequented by a bunch of old-time comedy writers and studio personnel who call their group R.O.M.E.O. (Retired Old Men Eating Out).. Sure enough, within 5 minutes we learned that Abby Singer was seated back there. Singer was a production manager for the Stooges at Columbia during the late 1940s and was assistant director on several of their mid-1950s shorts. As Singer left the restaurant we introduced ourselves, and he told us how much he enjoyed working with the Stooges.
     After lunch. Leonard invited us back to his house to look at his collection of stuff. His place is jam-packed with  movie memorabilia of every conceivable type, including a few interesting Stooges pieces. He showed us a photo we had never seen before, a color shot of the Stooges with actor James Karen on the set of the 1967 Metropolitan Life commercial that the Boys did. After a few hours of looking at his mementos and sharing war stories we hit the road.
    Tonight we split up again, as Jim wanted to go to the Hollywood Heritage Museum to see a lost Buster Keaton film while the rest of us just wanted to chill and have a leisurely dinner.  As we were eating dinner, we got a frantic call from Jim. “Guys, who was that actor in the picture with the Stooges that we saw at Leonard’s house today?”  We said, “You mean James Karen?”  Jim replies, “Yeah, him.  You’re not gonna believe this but the guy is sitting right in front of me!”  In an amazing coincidence, James Karen was somehow involved in the making of the lost Buster Keaton short and was actually sitting right in front of Jim, just hours after we had seen a rare photo of him with the Stooges.

MORE TO COME………..

Offline Justin T

WOW Gary, that's freaking amazing that Jim ran into the guy you saw in that rare photo
at the Keaton movie! As Curly himself would say "That was a coincidence!"

I've been a fan of Mr.Maltin for some time, I've always been happy how he has championed
the Stooges over the years. It's great you guys get to hang out with him and see his
collection, that has to be alot of fun.

Sounds like you guys are having a blast out there in LA.

"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline garystooge

Today (Friday) was our last day of the trip. We didn’t make firm plans for the day in the event that something worthwhile came up. We had been hoping to get together with Moe Howard’s daughter, Joan Maurer, who just returned from Seattle yesterday, but her schedule was too tight. We got a call in the morning from supporting actress Diana Darrin (“Miss Lapdale”) but weren’t able to work anything out with her either. And Frank had located an actress named Dorothy Dare who worked in one of Shemp’s Vitaphone shorts, but we couldn’t get a hold of her on the phone.
     Having struck out with the three ladies there was only one thing left for us to do…..you guessed it……BACK TO THE HERRICK LIBRARY!  We love that place so much that none of us was disappointed in making a return trip.  And we were well rewarded as some great photos and information turned up today….material which will find its way into the Journal  over the next several issues.  In another amazing coincidence, as I was going through a folder of stills I came across that color photo of the Stooges with James Karen, the guy that Jim was sitting behind last night (and which we had just seen for the first time yesterday at Leonard Maltin’s house).
     We left the Herrick late in the afternoon and headed over to the offices of the Screen Actors Guild on Wilshire Blvd.  They won’t give out any info over the phone, so Frank was hoping that maybe he could obtain some info on the supporting actors we are  seeking by making a personal visit there. Sure enough, he was able to pick up some useful information and phone numbers that will hopefully help locate the whereabouts of a few more former Stooges cast members. Frank also heard back from the lady at the Motion Picture Country Home where we had visited earlier in the week. Unfortunately, none of the people on Frank’s list were current or former residents there, so the search continues.
     We didn’t really have any plans for tonight so I was hoping we could check out the “House of Blues”, a club on Sunset Strip down the street from the hotel.   I went online to find out who was performing there tonight, and it turned out to be amazing coincidence #3 of the trip. Of all the thousands and thousands of bands in this country, the name of the group that was appearing there tonight is called “Moe.”   What a fitting ending for our trip to go see a group called “Moe”.  Alas, the other guys are not as into music as I am and they decided to pass, prompting me to think, “Well, there ain’t no “Moe”.
   And that’s it for another edition of California Dreamin’ folks…..there ain’t no Moe! Tomorrow morning we take a flight back to reality and leave our week of Stooging in the rear view mirror. We had a blast and hope you enjoyed reading about our (mis)adventures…..I’m sure we’ll be doing it again before too long.
Gary

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Well You guys really had a fun and fact finding filled week Gary, bet you can't wait til the next trek back to California!

Robin

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... we ran into Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman who were out for a walk.  Jim told them about the Stooges research we were doing and Danny seemed interested so we gave him our business cards in the event he might want to visit the Stoogeum the next time he’s in Philly.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline falsealarms

Never know who you'll run into, but those two (Perlman, DeVito) clearly are TV legends.

Offline locoboymakesgood

DeVito's always been one of my all-time favorite actors. He's absolutely hysterical in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Offline garystooge

Never know who you'll run into, but those two (Perlman, DeVito) clearly are TV legends.

Brent is very good at noticing celebrities.....while on the trip he also spotted David Faustino who played Bud Bundy on "Married With Children", although I don't think he got his picture taken with Faustino.