Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sony's DVD Release Schedule (link inside)

Offline DJEvelEd

I had enough waiting.
Anyone know where I can get a decent bootleg box set? Please PM or e-mail. Thanks!

Offline DJEvelEd

WOW  I sure got alot of quick responses! Thanks everyone!!! The best offer I have is 60.00 and since I don't need a fancy pretty set I'll be cheap. I need the set to view about 30 episodes that I have NEVER seen. (Shemps & Bessers)
Sony really dropped the ball. After all the offers here, and what I've found on the internet, it's clear the box set exists without Sony. Maybe Sony will have a prettier collectors edition, but for someone like me who just wants to see every episode, Sony can go sh*t in their hat for stringing us along like this...

Thanks again for everyone who replied!!! You're all true Knuckleheads (in the best way possible)

IM SO FRIGGIN EXCITED!!! THIS IS BETTER THAN FILLING IN MY RANDOLPH SCOTT COLLECTION!!! (yes I'm also looking for Randolph Scott too)

xraffle

DJEvelEd: I suggest you wait. I spent $60 on the bootleg set, but that will be money down the drain once Sony releases all 12 volumes. According to the rumors, all 12 volumes will be released within 2-3 years. You should save your money.

Offline DJEvelEd

I know but I cant wait three years to see episodes that will be totally new to me. Even if they are Joe Besser. Three years is a long time. We could be dead by then. Especially with a post-menopausal president with her finger on the trigger. At least I can die happy after finally seeing "Sweet & Hot"!

xraffle

We could be dead by then. Especially with a post-menopausal president with her finger on the trigger.

Good point! I guess the reason why I'm so patient is because I have the bootleg set so I already saw all the shorts. Therefore, I could care less whether or not Sony decides to continue releasing the shorts. So in a way, the bootleg set is worth it.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Good point! I guess the reason why I'm so patient is because I have the bootleg set so I already saw all the shorts. Therefore, I could care less whether or not Sony decides to continue releasing the shorts. So in a way, the bootleg set is worth it.
If you still believe Sony is going to release all 190 shorts uncut in a 3-year timespan, I want some of that weed.

I have all 190 uncut and watch them on a daily basis. I'd pay $200 for a bootleg set which is what a lot are going for on eBay right now.. not to mention all of the films and works not released on DVD and probably won't be ever. Fuck Sony. I'll still buy every PROPER volume they release (I mean, I DID buy the themed discs) but I don't see how buying a shoddy knock-off can be a waste of money given Sony's currently release pattern with the Stooges.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

If you still believe Sony is going to release all 190 shorts uncut in a 3-year timespan, I want some of that weed.

Well, it's always like that with TV show DVDs. They always release the first few sets at a slow pace, then they speed it up later on. So, you never know.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
DJEvelEd: I suggest you wait. I spent $60 on the bootleg set, but that will be money down the drain once Sony releases all 12 volumes. According to the rumors, all 12 volumes will be released within 2-3 years. You should save your money.

We'll be lucky to get 4 Volumes in 3 years, since I'm betting that one Volume will be released every 8 months or so.  Sony is screwing themselves and Stooge fans by taking so long to release the Volumes.  I see it going down like this:

Sony takes forever to release the Volumes, and sales drop.  The suits say "Why are sales dropping?" and the Stooge fans would yell "BECAUSE YOU TAKE TOO LONG TO RELEASE THE DAMN SETS!"  So in the end, if the sales drop down too much, we probably won't see a complete set...thanks again to Sony's incompetence. 
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline metaldams

Guys, anything that's good is worth the wait, even if it's a few years.  I just saw a concert DVD I've been waiting to see for almost 15 years.  Was it worth the wait and not buying a bootleg?  Absolutely.

Vol. 1 is exactly what we've been waiting for, and I'm sure there's more to come.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

Well, it's always like that with TV show DVDs. They always release the first few sets at a slow pace, then they speed it up later on. So, you never know.
It all depends on the studio. I follow the DVD world very closely, and I will give you this.

Of all the major studios to release TV-on-DVD, not only is Sony the worst when it comes to extras, but they're also notorious for reviving shows on DVD most consumers thought were dead - most recently Party of Five and Barney Miller. Three years apart from the last release!!! There is no way in hell the general consumer is going to want to wait about 10 years when and IF we get all 190 shorts. These need to be licensed out to another studio, plain and simple.

xraffle

Guys, anything that's good is worth the wait, even if it's a few years.  I just saw a concert DVD I've been waiting to see for almost 15 years.  Was it worth the wait and not buying a bootleg?  Absolutely.

Vol. 1 is exactly what we've been waiting for, and I'm sure there's more to come.

I agree. Another show I really like is "Alfred Hitchcock Presents." There are a total of 8 seasons and only the first three are out on DVD. This is because Universal is taking their time and only releasing one season every year. It's frustrating, but it's a great anthology show that's worth the wait.

Offline falsealarms

Updated to include planned releases on 4/22 .. no Stooges.

Offline locoboymakesgood

>:(

Offline archiezappa

I know that we should be patient.  These releases take time.  Oh, who am I kidding?  This sucks!

stooged and confused

I still have NO confirmation from Sony regarding the issue of volume 2 being released. The rumor of every 2-3 months has turned out to be just that. At one point, Sony did state that they were planning on releasing one set every 3 months, but that was quickly retracted.

It is rather frustrating, indeed. While Sony is not the only studio that delays releases (look at Fox with WKRP, Mary Tyler Moore and CBS/Paramount with Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley), they are definitely putting their atention and marketing muscle into more contemporary titles. Obviously, those are the ones that sell in the greatest numbers.

I find it odd that I got an email from Amazon letting me know that the 5th season of "Family Affair" is available. Like I care? I never bought any of the previous seasons, so I have no idea why I was sent that info. Season 5 of "Family Affair" and Sony is dragging out the Stooges output?! I'm at a loss for adjectives.

It would be nice if Sony would farm out the rights to a company like Kino that is known to specialize and care about older films, but it more than likely won't happen.

Perhaps the delay is due to the folks at C3 and their trademark issues. Who knows? Sony isn't saying, nor will they release sales figures for volume one.

Oh well, I'm sure there's plenty of Season 5 sets of "Family Affair" sitting around, if you can take it. Mr. French or Mrs. Beasley, anyone? ARGHHHH!!!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
It figures that Sony would drop the ball on this.  I deliberately held off buying any of those crappy earlier DVDs (my brother picked up a couple, and that was enough to convince me to ignore them), so Vol. I was my first Stooges DVD purchase.

stooged and confused

On of my other favorite Sony properties that they dropped the ball on is "All In The Family"..takes forever to release additional seasons. At least I can stop when the show goes downhill after the Meathead moves out and they adopt that awful little girl. That is when a once great show "jumps the shark", as they say.

Offline locoboymakesgood

It figures that Sony would drop the ball on this.  I deliberately held off buying any of those crappy earlier DVDs (my brother picked up a couple, and that was enough to convince me to ignore them), so Vol. I was my first Stooges DVD purchase.
I personally couldn't help it.. I own all of the themed discs, although most of the transfers on there look no better than some of my official VHS releases.

I don't understand why they don't license them out.. a lot of companies would pay top dollar to release a complete set. I'm glad I have all 190 shorts, but this is rediculous. I've said it once and I'll say it again: Fuck Sony.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I Bet C3 is screwing it up with conditions of some sort.....If they intend to let us down after a teaser volume which sold very quickly and very well according to the numbers i've heard.....Whats the damn holdup?

Yeah, if its extra goodies in the package, thats fine with Larry and Me, If its taking time to get the shorts quality up to par, thats ok as well, But Please Sony let us know something will ya knuckleheads!

Robin
(hoping im not like the Beatles song When I'm 64 by the time these Stooge DVD sets are out finally!)

Curley91

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?? 

You gots to be kiddin!' 

[bitchin]

xraffle

Maybe Sony decided not to continue releasing them since many stores didn't carry Volume 1. Just a guess.

By the way, who keeps applauding ThumpTheShoes? Anyone want to admit to it? He hasn't been posting much lately, yet his karma keeps going up by the second. As of now, his Karma is now 80. Someone here must like him a lot. It's times like these where I wish I could see who changed another person's karma.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Aww. bullshit!

Sony didn't market them. That's why they have been slow sellers, except on Amazon.

I've been thinking of getting a copy of vol. 1 for my 8 (10?) yr-old nephew in Chicago. My brother and other nephew can enjoy them too and it will annoy the hell out of my sister-in-law!

4 birds with one stone!

>:D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline archiezappa

That's right.  There was no marketing from Sony.  There was no promotion.  There should have been a commercial or something on television.  These comedy icons deserve at least that. 

Offline busybuddy

For a while about a year ago, I kept seeing a commercial for Stooges DVD's that you can get delivered to your home once a month or something. I was really surprised to see that because they were all old DVD's that they were advertising. I only saw it once or twice during boring Saturday afternoon junk.

They advertise the Looney Tunes and Popeye sets on TV, I'm sure if there's a big enough audience for the very early Popeye cartoons (which I love!), then there is an even bigger audience for The Three Stooges.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline JazzBill

By the way, who keeps applauding ThumpTheShoes? Anyone want to admit to it? He hasn't been posting much lately, yet his karma keeps going up by the second. As of now, his Karma is now 80. Someone here must like him a lot. It's times like these where I wish I could see who changed another person's karma.

I have given him two karma's. I don't pass out a lot of karma points. If I give them to him, he deserved them. I think he's brought a lot to the site.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".