Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sony's DVD Release Schedule (link inside)

xraffle

I have to question how wonderful this "high definition" technology really is, considering that they seem to be using the government to try to push people into adopting it.  I naturally tend to think that if you have to force people to use your product, it probably isn't very good.

As for Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD, I can't really say if one or the other is "better," since (like you) I can't afford to buy all this expensive fancy crap to replace perfectly good technology that I already own.  It doesn't really matter which one is "better" anyway, but rather which one does the better job of marketing its product.  Back in the day when video recorders first came out, a lot of experts swore that Beta was much better than VHS, but look at who won that contest.   ;)

Some people I know from work say they have one and according to them, the picture quality is "amazing." I have a slight hunch that these people are just bragging. I don't understand why the government is forcing people into adopting this technology if they can't even knock down the price of these TVs. There's no way I'm going to buy an HDTV for $1,000. That's just ludicrous!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Don't be surprised if some new releases get Blu-only designations as early as 2009.

I suppose that is possible, but that doesn't mean that it will ultimately succeed.  Don't forget, it is we consumers who make the final decision, not some corporate hack.  If people won't buy them because they are too expensive (or for any other reason), than Blu-Ray will fall by the wayside like so many other things have over the years.

On the other hand, if Blu-Ray really is that great and becomes the popular standard, then we should also start seeing the prices for the equipment and for the DVDs come down to a more reasonable price.  Only time will tell.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I think the primary reason that the government is pushing people towards the HDTV technology is that they want to appropriate the bandwidths that the old broadcast channels used.  Some of it is going to military use, and some of it has been auctioned off to cellphone companies (if I recall that correctly.)

What is ironic about all this is that relatively few people get their TV from the old broadcast signals anymore.  The vast majority of us have either cable or satellite providers.

xraffle

I suppose that is possible, but that doesn't mean that it will ultimately succeed.  Don't forget, it is we consumers who make the final decision, not some corporate hack.  If people won't buy them because they are too expensive (or for any other reason), than Blu-Ray will fall by the wayside like so many other things have over the years.

That's where the problem is. A lot of consumers are stupid enough to fall for this crap and max out their credit cards for it. I know a lot of people who maxed out their credit cards just to buy an HDTV. It's rediculous.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
That's where the problem is. A lot of consumers are stupid enough to fall for this crap and max out their credit cards for it. I know a lot of people who maxed out their credit cards just to buy an HDTV. It's rediculous.

Well, there have always been dopey people with us, and over 100 years of government-run education just made the situation much worse.  How do you think politicians keep getting elected?   ;)

xraffle

I heard that Blu-ray players are backwards compatible, but it'll only be a matter of time until it's not. They're just doing that now so we all run to the store to get a Blu-ray player without fear that our DVDs will become obsolete.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I heard that Blu-ray players are backwards compatible, but it'll only be a matter of time until it's not. They're just doing that now so we all run to the store to get a Blu-ray player without fear that our DVDs will become obsolete.

All the ones that I have looked at online (both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD) also support regular DVDs, audio CDs and CD-ROMs.  I am sure that they will continue to do so, since the ability is already there and there is no logical reason for them to change their systems to make them incompatible in the future.

Offline JazzBill

I think you guys are confusing Digital TV with Hi Def TV. The government is not forcing every one to get  Hi Def, they are changing the analog signals to digital. This is suppossed to free up the airwaves for emergency people. ( Cops and firemen, etc) The way I understand it is this will only effect people who are using rabbit ears and the old outside antenna's.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline locoboymakesgood

Yeah you'll need a digital tuner in February 2009, not High Definition... the government is abandoning analog transmitters which is why the change is necessary.

And by the end of 2009 we'll see something similar of when VHS was triumphed by DVD.. Blu-ray WILL be the next video standard, and now that stores are no longer selling tube sets and MOST (not all) sets are HDTVs.. well the retailers will be pushing Blu-ray players to go with them.

I've been an advocate for BD (Blu-ray Disc) since day one, so this HD DVD vs. Blu-ray thing finally being over is really a relief.. now we have support from all of the major studios.

Either way, Sony's MAIN focus on video distribution, which was mentioned in an article a few months ago, is that they're scaling back on catalog releases on standard DVD to focus on future Blu-ray releases.

This Stooges thing isn't going to get any better, guys.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

I think you guys are confusing Digital TV with Hi Def TV. The government is not forcing every one to get  Hi Def, they are changing the analog signals to digital. This is suppossed to free up the airwaves for emergency people. ( Cops and firemen, etc) The way I understand it is this will only effect people who are using rabbit ears and the old outside antenna's.

Really? I need to do more following up on this because a few people told me that the government is requiring everyone to get an HDTV by February 2009.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Really? I need to do more following up on this because a few people told me that the government is requiring everyone to get an HDTV by February 2009.
LOL! umm, no. Then most of America would be without television.

http://www.dtv.gov/whatisdtv.html

xraffle

LOL! umm, no. Then most of America would be without television.

http://www.dtv.gov/whatisdtv.html

Thanks. I actually thought the government was making HDTV mandatory. Even if they did, most of America won't be without television as majority of people have HDTV already. I'm only one out those small amount of people that doesn't have one. Pathetic, ain't it?

Offline locoboymakesgood

Thanks. I actually thought the government was making HDTV mandatory. Even if they did, most of America won't be without television as majority of people have HDTV already. I'm only one out those small amount of people that doesn't have one. Pathetic, ain't it?

Actually, a very small percentage of homes actually own HDTVs. I forget the numbers, but something like only about 20% of television viewers are equipped with an HD set. So, don't feel too bad.

xraffle

Actually, a very small percentage of homes actually own HDTVs. I forget the numbers, but something like only about 20% of television viewers are equipped with an HD set. So, don't feel too bad.

Ah! That's probably why they're still so high in price. If majority of people have them, then the prices should be a lot lower than they are now. Damn, I have to stop listening to these losers at my job.

Offline Benno123

This may be a stupid question, but I have not followed any of the Blu-Ray or HD DVD stuff.  But, from what I have heard, am I correct when I say it is my understanding that the Blu-Ray DVD players will also play standard DVDs?  I want to check because I want to make sure that all these DVDs I have will not just go the way of all my VHS tapes!

xraffle

This may be a stupid question, but I have not followed any of the Blu-Ray or HD DVD stuff.  But, from what I have heard, am I correct when I say it is my understanding that the Blu-Ray DVD players will also play standard DVDs?  I want to check because I want to make sure that all these DVDs I have will not just go the way of all my VHS tapes!

Well all HD-DVD players can play standard DVDs. However, Blu-ray is a completely different type of technology. They just added that extra feature where you can play standard DVDs. So, when DVDs become obsolete, they might stop making it backwards compatible. With HD-DVD, they can't because it's the same type of technology as standard DVDs, only it can fit more space. This is why I'm shocked why Blu-ray became more popular.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
All Blu-Ray players have backward compatibility, meaning they can play standard DVDs. Some of the early Blu-Ray player models cannot play audio CDs, however, but most models do.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Beat me to it, X.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

You know, it's funny how DVDs will probably become obsolete soon, yet my very first DVD player I bought in 2000 still works flawlessly.

xraffle

On TVShowsOnDVD.com, it says that Popeye Volume 2 is coming out in June, but only 31 shorts will be released rather than 60, which was the orginal plan. The primary reason for this was that the restoration took more work than expected. Perhaps, that's the reason why Sony is taking so long with Volume 2 of the Stooges.

Offline locoboymakesgood

DVDs aren't going to be obsolete anytime soon. There's still atleast another 5 - 10 years left in the technology.

Look how many catalog titles still haven't been released yet. There's no way the entire country is going to be Blu-ray ready for a LONG time..

Offline Justin T

You know, it's funny how DVDs will probably become obsolete soon, yet my very first DVD player I bought in 2000 still works flawlessly.

That's funny X, I bought my first DVD player back in 2000 also. And like you mine still works pretty well. Havign to go 8 years without
having to replace my DVD player is pretty damn impressive IMO.

Even if I wanted to go Blu-Ray, I cant afford it right now. When the price (hopefully) goes down someday I will upgrade. I'm glad
you can play standard DVD's on it.

Hopefully we wont have to wait too many more months before we get word about Volume 2 of the Stooges DVD Collection
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

That's funny X, I bought my first DVD player back in 2000 also. And like you mine still works pretty well. Havign to go 8 years without
having to replace my DVD player is pretty damn impressive IMO.

It is very impressive. And it's not like I use it rarely, I actually use it a lot. I bought it for $300, which was cheap for a DVD player at the time. That may be expensive now, but it was $300 well spent!

And you know, I can't tell you how many times I've had to replace my VCRs. Those darn things break down so easily.

Offline falsealarms

More updates from the Sony site, no good news. Seems like more could be added for 5/27, 6/3 etc.

May 20, 2008
50 First Dates
Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights
Anger Management
Big Daddy
Click
The Craft
Crossover
Dogma
Higher Learning
Mr. Deeds
Punch-Drunk Love