Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Curly Joe called "Curly"

The first time I happened to see one of those "New 3 Stooges" cartoons ("Noisy Silent Movie"), I noticed that at one point Moe calls Curly-Joe by just "Curly."  I thought this was an interesting goof (if you can call it that).

Does anyone know of other places where this happens?  I'm not familiar with all the DeRita movies -- I've seen 4 or 5, but they're not frequent viewing by any means.  (I'll take a simple short over a full movie any day, whoever the 3rd Stooge is.)
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

ThumpTheShoes

In some of the story records, Moe calls DeRita "Curly"...

In some of the story records, Moe calls DeRita "Curly"...
Occasionally or consistently?

Offline busybuddy

If you watch the Stooges on "On the Go," when Moe is talking about breaking his ribs while filming Pardon My Scotch, he says "Curly-Joe cut the table. . ." probably because he didn't want the younger fans watching to know that the real Curly was no longer around.
I think Birdie will go for that!

If you watch the Stooges on "On the Go," when Moe is talking about breaking his ribs while filming Pardon My Scotch, he says "Curly-Joe cut the table. . ." probably because he didn't want the younger fans watching to know that the real Curly was no longer around.
Interesting... That's sort of like the beginning of Kook's Tour where they tried to make it look like the (then) current Stooges were around for the whole "fifty years."

ThumpTheShoes

Occasionally or consistently?

Consistently throughout the Three Stooges in Storyland collection. I just had a quick listen to verify.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
I just watched my two DVD's with Three Stooges cartoons on them.   8)

I'm pretty sure in all of the episodes (13 of them) whenever Moe or Larry talk to Curly Joe they say both names.

For some reason, I disliked the cartoons when I was younger (probably because Curly wasn't Curly to me), but now re-watching them as an adult I find Curly Joe to be somewhat funny.  He isn't my most hated Stooge (Joe Besser continues to hold that title), but I have more respect for his acting as Curly.

Anyone know if all the cartoons will ever be made on DVD?  It was a bit sad to see how much Moe and Larry had aged over the years.  Why can't some people just be immortal?
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline busybuddy

There are a lot of public-domain 1 dollar stooges cartoon DVD's, but Rhino released a two volume set a few years ago that I heard was better. You can find them both on Amazon.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
There are a lot of public-domain 1 dollar stooges cartoon DVD's, but Rhino released a two volume set a few years ago that I heard was better. You can find them both on Amazon.

Yeah, the two DVD's that I have are the dollar ones.  One in B&W and the other in color.  Didn't know about a volume set.  I'll have to check that out.  Thanks.  :)
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Hammond Eggar

Consistently throughout the Three Stooges in Storyland collection. I just had a quick listen to verify.

There are moments on the LP Madcap Musical Nonsense at Your House, in which Curly-Joe is refered to as Curly, and not just by Moe.  In one baseball-themed track, a game announcer makes the Curly reference. 

The Stooges were featured in two episodes of The New Scooby-Doo Movies.  If memory serves me, the characters switched back-and-forth between Curly and Curly-Joe. ::)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

ThumpTheShoes

There are moments on the LP Madcap Musical Nonsense at Your House, in which Curly-Joe is refered to as Curly, and not just by Moe.  In one baseball-themed track, a game announcer makes the Curly reference. 

"I wanna slug the um-pire!"   :laugh:

There's also a laughably bad reading from that guy as Click Dart:
"Waaaaah! You hit me!"
I don't know who he is but, to me, he sounded like he had some very large choppers! Weird.

Offline Monofletch

I like Curly Joe better than waching "Babe" (origanal Curly) after his stroke. It makes me sad to see him slur his words and stare off into space.

I agree...Besser (You big you!) I'm glad he wasn't around long!!
Dewy Cheatem and How

If you had a dollar in this pocket...and a dollar in that pocket what would you have? Some one else's pants!