Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ted Healy

Offline archiezappa

I must admit that I'm a fan of all the Stooges.  Even Ted Healy.  Yes, I do like Ted Healy.  He was a great comedian.  Anyway, I was wondering how many of you out there also like Ted Healy. 

My favorite Ted Healy film (of the ones I've seen) is "Beer And Pretzels."

Offline Justin T

I'm not a big fan of Ted Healy, but I do like some of the stuff he did. He was very talented and could be very funny, and most
of all I respect the fact that without him the Stooges would not exist. He helped create the act and its a shame that
because of his alcoholism and the way he treated the boys in the financial department he is often villified by many Stooge fans.

I think thats an unfair treatment of him, I look to the fact Moe broke down crying when he found out
Ted had died. That's how close he was and how much he ment to the boys. I'm glad he gets his due
inside the Stoogeum and that's thanks to Gary.

Anyway, my favorite short with Ted and the Stooges is probably Beer and Pretzels, although I really like Plane Nuts also.

The best feature film with Ted and the Stooges, for me at least, is a tie between Meet the Baron and
Myrt and Marge. In both movies Ted and the Stooges are very funny and get a very good amount of screen
time for being in supporting roles. Baron is thankfully on DVD with Gold Raiders but I wish Marge was. It has not
been released on VHS or DVD yet, so If you can get a copy of that movie check it out. I know that Thump the Shoes and
myself both have copies of it.

I haven't seen much of Ted's solo movie career after he and the Stooges parted ways but I've heard some good things about
some of the movies he starred in, others here on the board can give better advice on those.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:25:07 PM by Justin T »
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

I would like to see more of his movies.  I think he deserves a DVD box set with his movies.  I'm guessing that Warner Brothers owns the rights.  I think that would be cool.  If they include the ones with the Moe, Larry & Curly, I think that would be a good selling point.  And I believe that now is the perfect time for these releases.

moe-jo

Offline archiezappa

I got "Meet The Baron" in the "Classic Comedy Teams" DVD box set.  That was funny!  Ted Healy & The Stooges are good in it, but Jack Pearl steals the show!  Funny stuff.

Offline Justin T

I got "Meet The Baron" in the "Classic Comedy Teams" DVD box set.  That was funny!  Ted Healy & The Stooges are good in it, but Jack Pearl steals the show!  Funny stuff.

Glad you enjoyed it, I sure did when I bought that DVD, have you watched "Gold Raiders" yet?
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Now that's funny, because the movie is supposed to center around Jack Pearl's character, but I've always thought that Healy and the Stooges stole the show!   ;D

Offline archiezappa

Yes, I have watched "Gold Raiders."  It's pretty good.  It's more Western than Stooges, but I like it anyway.  I like westerns anyway and the Stooges do well with the genre.

As for "Meet The Baron," I watched it specifically for the Stooges.  They were funny.  So, I was surprised to find out how funny Jack Pearl was.  It was a surprise.  I had figured that the Stooges scenes would be the only funny moments, but I was wrong.  The movie was very entertaining throughout.

Both are great films.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I picked that up at Best Buy myself.   I was glad to see "BOTH" films on one DVD.   It would be nice to have more Two-fers from Warners, Universal or whomever else has UnColumbia/Sony Stoogers.

Robin

Offline archiezappa

Yeah.  I'd like to see "Myrt & Marge" on an official DVD.  I don't know what movie you could put it with to make a good "Double Feature."  Any suggestions?

Who knows?  If the new Stooges DVD sets are popular enough, maybe other studios, like Universal, will be more apt to issue their Stooge related films.  Personally, I'd like to see "The Ted Healy Collection."  I'd definitely buy that.