Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

SHANTY WHERE SANTY CLAUS LIVES (1933)

Offline Hammond Eggar

The following is a wonderful Christmas cartoon from the WB/Merrie Melodies vaults.  This one goes all the way back to 1933.  I doubt it's included on any of the Looney Tunes DVD collections.  Enjoy! ;)

[youtube=425,350]UJM-_IQ98GY[/youtube]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I doubt it's included on any of the Looney Tunes DVD collections.

Probably not.  In this idiotic PC world we live in now, I imagine it would be considered "racist."

I can't say that I can remember ever seeing this one, unless it was on a late-50's/early-60's cartoon show, but the little kid with the big cap seems familiar.  Was he ever in any other early 30's cartoons?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I doubt it's included on any of the Looney Tunes DVD collections.
Probably not.  In this idiotic PC world we live in now, I imagine it would be considered "racist."

It will be a bonus feature on LADY KILLER (1933), one of the Cagney films in Warner Home Video's upcoming The Warner Gangsters Collection Vol. 3 DVD set (March 11).

The bonus features are often previews of titles currently undergoing restoration for an upcoming The Looney Tunes Golden Collection. SHANTY was earlier included in one of the early-1990s Turner laser disc box sets, The Golden Age of Looney Tunes.

Warner has never withheld SHANTY from distribution, and it always receives a few "filler" airings on TCM during the Christmas season. TCM also featured it in one of its "Cartoon Alley" episodes.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Warner has never withheld SHANTY from distribution, and it always receives a few "filler" airings on TCM during the Christmas season. TCM also featured it in one of its "Cartoon Alley" episodes.

Ah, I'll bet that is where I saw it before.  I still don't actually remember watching the cartoon, but the kid in the big hat apparently stuck in my head.

Good for Warner for making this available on DVDs, although I admit that I'm a bit surprised.  I would have thought some jackass would have complained by now about either the "Sambo Jazz Band" music box or the black dancing dolls in the toy store.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Thanks for sharing that, Hammond.

Am I the only one that has never seen the famous "Censored 11"? I grew up in the late 80s/90s and although I was a religious Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies watcher, I never recall ever seeing them - even when Cartoon Network had a special on "banned" toons.

It's a shame none of them are on YouTube. Even though WB refuses to release  these I'm sure there's still strict copyrights on them.. which is kind of pointless, IMO.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
It's a shame none of them are on YouTube. Even though WB refuses to release  these I'm sure there's still strict copyrights on them.. which is kind of pointless, IMO.

I have long been of the opinion that the so-called "copyright laws" are a complete travesty.  The constitutional provision is to protect copyrights "for a limited time", not forever.  The mere fact that the "Happy Birthday" song is still under copyright more than 100 years later demonstrates the absurdity of the law.  The whole system needs to be scrapped.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I have a Christmas Cartoon DVD I bought at Target last year for a buck that has this and many other old Christmas toons on it. Some really weird cartoons to boot.

The quality on most of them is crap. But what do you expect for a dollar.
Another Dollar one has a movie called "Wake me when the war is over" with Ken Berry (Mayberry RFD),
Eva Gabor (Green Acres) Jim Backus (Gilligans Island) and Werner Klemperer (Hogans Heroes).

Funny thing is Werner plays a German officer is this (Great typecasting eh) And Ken parachutes near Eva's house and she hides him from the German troops. So great I saw it once!

This double DVD also includes a John Davidson movie called "Shell Game" which I have not watched as of yet. Ahh Dollar DVDs, all that entertainment for such little a fare. On a better note was a Johnny Carson one with hilarious episodes of "Carsons Cellar" and his first self titled show. (along with an episode of the George Burns and Gracie Allen show and Grouchos "You Bet Your Life".   Next time you find some cheapie DVD's check em out. Lost treasures to be found.

Robin