Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Shemp Howard T-shirt

Offline Hammond Eggar

I was browsing Amazon.com this evening in search of a page for the new Shemp DVD collection, and came across an unusual item.  It's a Shemp Howard-related t-shirt with the slogan, I Love Shemp Howard.  Shemp is not even pictured on the shirt.  Actually, the image provided makes the shirt look like something homemade, as opposed to a professional item.  Here, see for yourselves. ::)

I Love Shemp Howard
http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-Shemp-Howard-T-Shirt/dp/B0010J1YVE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1197344634&sr=8-11

EDIT: Actually, after doing some more Amazon browsing, I noticed that there are shirts just like it for all six Stooges.  So, how many of you are going to buy an I Love Joe Besser shirt, huh? :D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Thats a nice shirt, but its missing the best part. A picture of the one and only original stooge Shemp Howard.   A mugging Shemp picture would make that a must buy.  I know theres that Legalize Shemp shirt available but he gets the short drift when it comes to quantity in designs.

Show your Shemp allegiance.  Get it off your chest and Put Shemp on your chest.

Robin

Offline busybuddy

There's one shirt out there with Shemp, Moe, and Larry from Income Tax Sappy, but I'm not sure what site it's on. I don't think it's a Comedy III product though.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Probably not. Comedy III doesn't offer much Shemp stuff.  I notice in the catalog they have a stand up with Curly Joe even.   I know they have some posters I think with Shemp.    Whats next Joe Besser Joe Boxers!

Robin

Offline busybuddy

A site called bearprints.com has a shirt with the stooges from Feulin' Around, and a site called choiceshirts.com has the one from income tax sappy. Comedy III actually does make a Shemp doormat and they used to make a Shemp hanging fabric poster thingy.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Ah yeah forgot about the doormat.    I guess stepping on Shemp is okay with them lol.
Thanks, I'll check those other sites out as well. 

Robin

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thats a nice shirt, but its missing the best part. A picture of the one and only original stooge Shemp Howard.   A mugging Shemp picture would make that a must buy.  I know theres that Legalize Shemp shirt available but he gets the short drift when it comes to quantity in designs.

Show your Shemp allegiance.  Get it off your chest and Put Shemp on your chest.

Robin

I never did care much for the "Legalize Shemp" merchandise (i.e. shirts and metal signs).  Much of the Stooges merchandise is pretty pathetic.  I hate the sophomoric attempts to be funny and clever.  Usually, the humor comes from double entendres and blue humor that seems to be opposite of the Stooges own humor.  For example, I've seen a poster with a photo of the boys on a golf course (from Three Little Beers).  The slogan reads, "It's gonna take a lot of balls."  Ha, ha, I get it, but I don't exactly find it funny. ::)  The item that I find the saddest/most pathetic is one in which Curly's head is super-imposed over a photo of John Lennon.  It's the photo of John Lennon wearing a NEW YORK t-shirt, which was taken by photographer Bob Gruen.  The back of the shirt has an altered lyric from "Imagine" reading, "You may say I'm a Stooge, but I'm not the only one."  As a huge fan of both the Stooges and the Beatles, I find that shirt offensive.  At the least, items such as these are a complete waste of time and money.

As for non-Curly merchandise on the market, I have seen a few items.  I've seen the Shemp shirts and metal signs.  Deck the Walls was carrying a Stooges poster of Shemp and the boys posing, wearing wicker baskets on thier heads.  I've seen the card-board stand of the boys with Curly-Joe in tuxedoes.  I've also seen that photo sold as a magnet.  Speaking of magnets, I've seen a block magnet of Moe, Larry and Curly-Joe riding a rocket (from Have Rocket, Will Travel).  While in Las Vegas last month, I stopped by a memorabilia store in the Caesar's Palace mall.  There I bought a Stooges keychain which had a b/w photo of Moe, Larry and Shemp.  I also own a pin/button of the Stooges with Shemp which I purchased years ago.  So, while it's hard to find Stooge items without Curly, it's not impossible. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Yeah, I feel the same way about the over moronic slogans on those shirts. Like the only way to sell them to the new generation is to adapt to their level of education and thinking practices. In a way I guess it brings about new Stoogefans, but for us over 30 crowd (counts show of hands) its a little embarrasing. The golf pose has to be the most overdone image of our boys.  Golf merchandise is very popular though, and I guess thats the motive behind that.

How about Besser though, Although I know he has few fans among Stoogephiles, I still always prefered him to DeRita, not to downplay his place in Stooge history, but Joe had his own brand of humor that was perfected long before he joined the Stooges.  And he is justified in Stoogedom because of it. 

Lets see some Besser T's  (Oh You Crazy!)  (Not So Haaard) okay don't let Comedy III touch that one, I can just imagine (oops, thinking about them again with that word)

Robin

Offline busybuddy

I don't know why the people coming up with stooges merchandise think they need to make so many parody t-shirts like Stooges-Idol and all that garbage. The Stooges were dead thirty years before American Idle was invented! I prefer shirts with just the Stooges on there, like the opening credits, or that one that has them from You Natzy Spy with just the words "Woo-Woo-Woo" underneath. They're cheapening the Stooges' image with stuff like that. (To be honest, I am wearing a Stooges parody t-shirt right at this moment, but I found it at a dollar store for 7 dollars, so why not buy it?)

About the Beatles/Stooges, my dad was the one who wrote the Stooges/Beatles connections in the latest journal, and I helped with the ideas so that's why my name's on it too. It was just a conversation we'd had a million times so he wrote an article about it.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Being a Beatles/Stooges fan, I did enjoy reading  that article in the Journal. Thank your Dad for me.

Robin

Curley91

It's a Shemp Howard-related t-shirt with the slogan, I Love Shemp Howard.  Shemp is not even pictured on the shirt.
As much as I enjoyed reading about it, that shirt doesn't look too professional at all.  The least they could have done is tried to put Shemp on the shirt as well as the slogan. 

I would prefer wearing the more official stooge attire such as "Curly's Gym," "Curly For President," "I've been HypMOEtized," and of course, Larry's "I have Issues."

So, how many of you are going to buy an I Love Joe Besser shirt, huh?
I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those!!!  >:D

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Oh, You Craaaazy You!   I believe those  I love designs are brought out with every name, symbol, character imaginable.  Kinda like those Mrs. Brad Pitt etc. crap shirts and stuff. Very Cheesy. (and probably very profitable, since they sell, they must or they would just quietly go away and we would never have to look at them any more)

Robin

Offline Monofletch

I have the "Shemp the Forgoten Stooge" shirt and everyone loves it. I am patiently awaiting the new release!!

Shemp has always been my favorite stooge!
Dewy Cheatem and How

If you had a dollar in this pocket...and a dollar in that pocket what would you have? Some one else's pants!

Offline locoboymakesgood

I've had a couple of Stooges shirts I've gotten from Stoogefests a local theater back home used to have every year.

One had a pic of the Boys drunk (name of the short it's from totally escapes me at the time), and says "New Year's Heave 2000".. the other is a parody of The Sopranos logo that says "The Stooges: The Original Wiseguys" and the other one (which I still own - the others have gotten lost over time) says "Get Blasted With Your Buddies!" and has a shot of Curly, Larry, and Moe around TNT with their fingers in their ears.

The only Shemp related memorabalia I've seen is the "Legalize Shemp" and "Shemp: The Forgotten Stooge" t-shirts. Kind of lame.

The only Stooge shirt I have left is insanely worn. I can't even wear it in public anymore because the image is so faded. Still, I like to show my pride for the Boys around the house. ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Hammond Eggar

About the Beatles/Stooges, my dad was the one who wrote the Stooges/Beatles connections in the latest journal, and I helped with the ideas so that's why my name's on it too. It was just a conversation we'd had a million times so he wrote an article about it.

That was a very nice article.  You and I have something in common.  We've both had an article published in The Three Stooges Journal.  In Issue #98, Gary published my article about the connections between the Stooges and Hanna/Barbera.  I was pretty proud of that article.  Gary told me later that he did receive some positive feedback regarding the story.

As for those awful t-shirts I mentioned earlier, and those like them, I just had a thought.  I bet many, if not all, of them are now in the Stoogeum's special t-shirt exhibit Gary mentioned in The Three Stooges Journal.  For some reason I can't shake the fact that the Lennon/Curly shirt really, really bugs me. >:(

Offline busybuddy

Not only is that Lennon/Curly image on a shirt, they also put it on a throw rug and a coffee mug. If they wanted to mix the stooges and the Beatles, they should have done a mock "With The Beatles" album cover or something. They did a parody of a Monkees album cover and it said "Hey! Hey! We're the Stooges!" and I have to admit I really liked that one.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Not only is that Lennon/Curly image on a shirt, they also put it on a throw rug and a coffee mug.

All I can say is, what a waste. :-\

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear I Fleecem and Hammond Eggar:

I agree with you I also say that retarded "Shemp?" shirt at Amazon.  But there are a couple of really nice ones in my opinion of Shemp they are through A&E designs who are associated with Amazon one is called "Dewey Cheathem and Howe" Attorneys At Law and another one is from his short "Hula-La-La" called "No Man Is An Island."  I have them both.

Have a great day and a very Blessed Christmas and New Year.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra

Moron4392. [3stooges]

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Thanks, I'll check them out Diane.  And you and yours have a blessed and wonderful Christmas and happy new Year.

Sincerely, Robin

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Robin (AKA IFleecem):

Your welcome about the Shemp Shirts.  Glad to help out another Shemp Friend. [3stooges]

Moron4392

Diane
 [pie]

Offline archiezappa

I'd personally like to have a shirt with the Three Stooges opening credits with Shemp.  That would be cool.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Thats 2 sales of the opening Shemp credits shirt.   I see in the new catalog that they have the Curly opening shirts in many different colors now instead of just black.  Yeah, I would love to have the Shemp one too.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hey Everyone:

Mark me down as the third person who would like to see an opening credits shirt with Shemp on it.

Diane Hoekstra

Moron4392

Offline Hammond Eggar

Add me to the list, too.  I'm, yet, another person who'd love to own a Shemp opening shirt. ;)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Hey Comedy III, take note of lost sales of Stooges opening credits shirts with Shemp, And maybe you better take a look at the Joe credits as well   Any takersfor them?

Robin
(wearer of the Shemp
opening credits shirt along
with my Shemp friends)