Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Journal #124 Winter 2007

Offline Justin T

I don't know about anyone else here, but I got my copy of the final 3 Stooges Journal issue
this year in the mail today. I love having monday's off  ;D

I'm almost done reading it and its a great issue.

Gary, I really like that you put those particular photos in color. It really shows off
how wonderful the footage is!

I loved the review of the book Stoogeology, I've been thinking about getting that book
for awhile, but have hesitated due to its 35 dollar price tag. But after reading the excellent
review in this issue I'm probably going to order a copy by January.

The information about the new exhibits for the Stoogeum sound awesome, I hope I can come
to the fan club meeting in April to see them.

Another great issue Gary, you and the rest of the contributers do such a wonderful job.
Thanks alot
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Thanks For the heads up about the journal. Nice to see something worthwhile instead of all those bills and junk lol.     Great work as always Gary and everyone.

Robin

Offline busybuddy

Best issue I've seen in a while, not that there have been any bad ones in the past, it just seems that this issue has a lot of great stuff in it, and I don't just mean the color. I love the picture of Cy Shindell, Curly, Ed Bernds, Shemp and Joe Palma!
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Thanks for the kind words regarding my review of Stoogeology. It's nice to know that it may encourage die-hards to purchase a copy of it. I know the price is steep, but it's a great read and one of the most interesting Stooge books I've read in a long time.

Not to confuse matters, but I've also recently posted some fan reviews of numerous shorts under the name 'hailstone'. This was my original log-in name until I changed it to Waldo Twitchell.

I also agree that the latest issue of the journal is one of the best in quite some time. It's the first one I've seen with any color photos. Personally, the journal and this website are the most valuable resources for Stooge fans on the planet!

Offline garystooge

Thanks everyone for your nice sentiments regarding The Journal.  It's always nice to get some positive feedback! Since I'm often deeply immersed in the nitty-gritty of each issue (how to crop each photo, proper punctuation, optimal pagination, captions for the photos, etc) it's hard for me to step back, look at the big picture, and know if an issue is a "good one" or not. My goal is for every issue to be the best one to date. Strangely enough, I actually did have a good overall feeling about this edition as I was doing the final proofing. But in my mind, I'm only as good as my next issue (which is already about half done) so that's where my attention is now directed.

Best wishes to all the Journal subscribers who visit this site (and everyone else too) for a happy and healthy 2008!
Gary

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The table of contents for The Three Stooges Journal # 124 (Winter 2007) is now indexed for review. If you're not a subscriber... take a look at what you're missing!

Thanks for the kind words regarding my review of Stoogeology.

And, thank you for the favorable review on my chapter in the book.

Offline Justin T

Thanks for the kind words regarding my review of Stoogeology. It's nice to know that it may encourage die-hards to purchase a copy of it. I know the price is steep, but it's a great read and one of the most interesting Stooge books I've read in a long time.

Not to confuse matters, but I've also recently posted some fan reviews of numerous shorts under the name 'hailstone'. This was my original log-in name until I changed it to Waldo Twitchell.

I also agree that the latest issue of the journal is one of the best in quite some time. It's the first one I've seen with any color photos. Personally, the journal and this website are the most valuable resources for Stooge fans on the planet!

Your welcome Waldo, it was excellent. I'm looking foward to getting my own copy when I have the chance.

All the various chapters sound great, I can't wait to read yours BeAStooge. I love reading about scenes and dialogue
that was cut out of the shorts, I find it very interesting what might have been.

I love reading those articles about them in The Journal.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Quote from: BeAStooge
The table of contents for The Three Stooges Journal # 124 (Winter 2007) is now indexed for review.

I think this is the first time this year that I got my copy of the Journal before you managed to get the issue indexed!   :laugh:

Quote from: garystooge
But in my mind, I'm only as good as my next issue (which is already about half done) so that's where my attention is now directed.

I'm glad you said that -- it reminded me that I noticed this was my last issue, so I just sent you my renewal.   ;D

Since my current reading list is already full (I can only handle three different books at one time), I barely did more than skim through the issue, but I loved seeing the "behind the scenes" color photos.

Offline busybuddy

What's everyone's thoughts on Lee Solomon's letter to the editor about letters to Sony? I personally don't expect hardly any of the bonuses he mentioned to be on the sets, especially TV appearances because none of them are Columbia owned. I'll wait until we get to the Shemps and if there are no bonuses then, I might write a letter.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
I'm just glad that official DVDs are out in decent shape to boot.   19 shorts for 20 odd bucks. Thats a present all of us here are glad to have.   Even without extras I myself have no complaints other than maybe if  a short biography book had been included.   Way to go Sony we are proud of ya for issuing our heroes on DVD.  Now please don't make us wait too long for Future Volumes ya knuckleheads!

Robin

Offline busybuddy

I'm just glad that official DVDs are out in decent shape to boot.   19 shorts for 20 odd bucks. Thats a present all of us here are glad to have.   Even without extras I myself have no complaints other than maybe if  a short biography book had been included.   Way to go Sony we are proud of ya for issuing our heroes on DVD.  Now please don't make us wait too long for Future Volumes ya knuckleheads!

Robin

My thoughts exactly.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Speaking of the new Journal, on the color pages of the Stooges appearance with Bob Barker, is it just me or do Moe and Larry look like they have on each others jackets? Moes matches Larrys pants and vice versa.

Also what are they wearing around their necks? Looks like some kind of charm or madallion. Excellent issue especially the color pictures from Three Little Pirates and Uncivil Warbirds.

Robin

Offline archiezappa

I think it would be good to write and encourage Sony to release all of the Stooges sets.  Bonus features would be nice, but that's not what I'm after.  I want the 190 original films uncut.  The only bonuses I would be interested in, would be the shorts starring Shemp Howard.  And, possibly, the ones with Joe Besser or Joe DeRita.

I would also like a full set of Shemp's shorts from the Vitaphone studio.  I have 3 of them.  I watched them the other day, and it makes me wish I had them all.  He is so funny.

As for the Columbia features, the ones with Curly, that is...  I haven't seen any of them.  Do they just make small cameo appearances?  I have "Swing Parade Of 1946" on DVD and the Stooges are co-stars and appear throughout the picture.  If their appearances in the Columbia features are like that, then I would definitely be interested.  However, if they're just cameos, why can't we get a couple of them as bonus features?  Will someone clarify this for me?

Offline Hammond Eggar

As for the Columbia features, the ones with Curly, that is...  I haven't seen any of them.  Do they just make small cameo appearances?  I have "Swing Parade Of 1946" on DVD and the Stooges are co-stars and appear throughout the picture.  If their appearances in the Columbia features are like that, then I would definitely be interested.  However, if they're just cameos, why can't we get a couple of them as bonus features?  Will someone clarify this for me?

I still haven't seen all of the Columbia Stooges features yet.  I have, however, seen Rockin' in the Rockies, which I enjoyed.  The Stooges have a pretty big part in the film, even though they are seperated throughout a portion of the picture.  Larry and Curly are paired together, while Moe is off on his own.  As for the other pictures, such as Captain Hates the Sea and My Sister Eileen, the Stooges segments are very, very brief.  That said, I'd still like to see these films, in their entirety, even if it's just out of morbid curiosity. 

I'm really curious, though.  Why do we have to keep begging Sony/Columbia to release these Stooge films on DVD, when films of much lesser quality and importance, starring no-name actors, continue to pop up on DVD everyday?  One would think that the iconic status of the Stooges, and their on-going popularity and influence on our culture, would be enough justification needed to get these titles reissued.  I guess the brass at Sony/Columbia see it differently. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline archiezappa

Yeah.  It seems that there are more B-movies with no-name actors on DVD now than there ever were.  But the Three Stooges are not no-name actors.  They are icons of comedy and American culture.  It doesn't make sense that their stuff is not on DVD already.  I'd personally like to see the following on DVD:

The Three Stooges 190 Episodes (of course, and their working on this one)
Shemp Howard's Solo Shorts
All of the Columbia Movies that the Three Stooges starred in or made cameo appearances in
Joe Besser Solo Shorts
Joe DeRita's Solo Shorts
Ted Healy and Howard, Fine & Howard MGM Shorts
Ted Healy and Howard, Fine & Howard all feature film appearances
Ted Healy's Feature Films

Plus, anything else Stooge related.  I've been to Walmart, Best Buy, etc.  I see all kinds of movies with no-name actors.  I also see countless stuff in the low priced sections and cut-out bins.  But, alas, no Stooge related stuff.  I wonder how much of the stuff is public domain.  I know the Columbia stuff isn't (except for the 4 shorts we know).  But what about those shorts Shemp Howard did for Vitaphone?  Or the MGM Shorts?  Or Ted Healy's Movies?  If they're public domain, you'd think that some small DVD company would put them out.  I guess it's possible.

Offline Hammond Eggar

The Three Stooges 190 Episodes (of course, and their working on this one)
Shemp Howard's Solo Shorts
All of the Columbia Movies that the Three Stooges starred in or made cameo appearances in
Joe Besser Solo Shorts
Joe DeRita's Solo Shorts
Ted Healy and Howard, Fine & Howard MGM Shorts
Ted Healy and Howard, Fine & Howard all feature film appearances
Ted Healy's Feature Films

I like that list.  The only thing I'd add to it are the solo films the Stooges made while at MGM.  I'm referring to shorts such as Roast Beef and Movies (w/ Curly) and Give a Man a Job (w/ Moe).  I'm also referring to the feature films Broadway to Hollywood (w/ Moe and Curly) and Stage Mother (Larry's only solo appearance).  I guess that also fits in the category of Ted Healy's solo films since he had a big role in it. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline archiezappa

I like that list.  The only thing I'd add to it are the solo films the Stooges made while at MGM.  I'm referring to shorts such as Roast Beef and Movies (w/ Curly) and Give a Man a Job (w/ Moe).  I'm also referring to the feature films Broadway to Hollywood (w/ Moe and Curly) and Stage Mother (Larry's only solo appearance).  I guess that also fits in the category of Ted Healy's solo films since he had a big role in it. ;)

I had an idea about those.  Take all of the MGM films with Ted Healy and the Stooges (together or solo) and put them in a box set of DVD's called "Ted Healy & His Stooges."  I think that would be pretty cool.  Since Warner Brothers owns the MGM stuff, the films Ted Healy made for Warner Brothers could also be included.  That's crucial since his last film appearance, "Hollywood Hotel," was made at WB.  This would be a perfect time for Warner Brothers to take advantage of the Three Stooges related films that they have at their disposal.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
I believe that stuff will all come out eventually.  Trouble is they don't wanna put it all out at once. Also Trouble is it takes years for this stuff to come out! These films need to be rescued before time catches up with them.

Robin