Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Clothes & Props From Shorts Still In Storage at Columbia?

Offline locoboymakesgood

I couldn't help but wonder..

I'm sure we've all seen the ChromaChoice colorized disc, and the Behind-the-Scenes feature as to how they decided to colorize the Stooges. Am I wrong in this (it's been awhile since I've seen it), but didn't the one woman on there say basically they dug into their vaults to see clothes they were wearing in particular shorts? This struck me as odd, since short-subjects were the bottom of the barrel at movie studios.. I just couldn't see them holding onto the clothes Moe, Larry, Curly, and Shemp wore during filming.

Does anyone know? I would think either one of the guys held onto them or they just got discarded at some point.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline FineBari3

Columbia might not have them, but they probably use a property company (or whatever they are called) that has them. You would be surprised what these kinds of places have! They have acres of costumes and props, on racks three rows high. They also keep meticulous records.

One prop story that I read about is that the leather jacket worn by Frank Sinatra in VonRyan's Express is the same jacket that Robert Crane wore in Hogan's Heroes. That same jacket, 30-some years later, was worn by Greg Kinnear in the film Auto Focus, when he played Bob Crane in the Hogan's scenes. Given the history of that jacket (VonRyan's Express came out in 1965), it is possible that the prop company or department has hung onto an item.

Anybody else know about stuff like this?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson