Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Superstation Funtime

Offline Hammond Eggar

If your like me, then you built your first Three Stooges video collection from the shorts shown on this weekday morning WTBS program back in the 1980s.  Here's the introduction to that program.  Oh, look!  They're showing a Shemp short. :laugh:

[youtube=425,350]JnsFA1AIuk4[/youtube]

It must be Fright Night.  Look at this show bumper. [pie]

[youtube=425,350]V-wfMzoPt40&feature=related[/youtube]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline locoboymakesgood

Wow, they even took commercials in the middle of shorts back then? How lame. I'm glad we had our station that only showed commercials between shorts, not during.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

ThumpTheShoes

Wow, they even took commercials in the middle of shorts back then? How lame. I'm glad we had our station that only showed commercials between shorts, not during.

Yep, that's how it happened back then! I had completely forgotten the music bed and that bored sounding kid on the bumpers. I remember I had to learn how to pause recording on our giant Quasar vcr, because the tape wound back 2 and 1/2 seconds or so for "smooth editing". Hell, all that did was cause blue and red lines to wiggle down the screen right where the Stooges were broken up for ads! I still remember, though, where many of those breaks happened (not always at the reel change) as I watch the shorts these days.

Also, the Stooge pictures always looked spliced-up and damaged right where the commercials would happen. The way the picture rolls to black and the soundtrack trails off, the technicians must have let those films run right off the reel of the telecine, leaving the end flapping round and round on the take-up reel like a projector in a classroom before threading up the next half!

These clips from '83 are, no doubt, from the first-ish year without the funtime players-- a group of adults acting like dopes doing "comedy" sketches between the films. Anyone remember their Christmas who-done-it contest? Jerry Homan (sp?) as Little Edgar who had his presents stolen and had some really great dialogue:
"Gee! All my presents are gone and I bet it was some real neat stuff."
Right you are, Edgar!

Funtime also featured some of the earliest appearances of Bill Tush, who went on to be a SuperStation news/variety dude for many years.

stooged and confused

No joke! Could that kid have sounded any more bored?!

Was that the best they could find? Give that kid some Pop Rocks, Jolt Cola or any other heavily sugared 80's concoction!

Offline Hammond Eggar

Although the opening didn't reflect it, I seem to recall this program mixing in some Our Gang/Littles Rascals shorts, as well. 

Plus, I was thinking the same thing as everyone else.  That kid sounds extremely bored.  What a way to get viewers to stay tuned, huh?  Geesh! ::)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline 2reelers

That clip was posted by my good friend Rick Klein aka fuzzymemories. His website, www.fuzzymemories.tv is an online museum which focuses on local Chicago broadcasts, with a screening room of clips from the 70's and 80's...there are local commercials, promos, psa spots, news briefs, all kinds of fun stuff. If you are from Chicago, swing by the site and enjoy your visit. You'll also find some bumpers for WFLD-Channel 32 Stooges programs (including The Stooges-Rascals Hour) and other fun stuff.

ThumpTheShoes

Although the opening didn't reflect it, I seem to recall this program mixing in some Our Gang/Littles Rascals shorts, as well. 

Plus, I was thinking the same thing as everyone else.  That kid sounds extremely bored.  What a way to get viewers to stay tuned, huh?  Geesh! ::)

They did have Little Rascals/Our Gang and, for a while, had the Mickey Macguire shorts, as well! Those were the ones with little baby Billy Barty who'd always hit his head on something and have to stop and say "Ooh!"

You'd also see the more rare cartoons like "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips" and "Coal Black..."

I feel old.

-Th

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Ah yes...WTBS.

I lived in Atlanta from '77-'82 and continued to see TBS on cable after I moved to Las Vegas. I remember when the call letters were WTCG before they changed it. I had forgotten all about the name Bill Tush and those funtime players. As a 3rd grader back in 1980, I actually got into an argument with some classmates about who stole Edgar's presents - I think it was Fi-Fi the maid. Cheesy stuff to be sure. And now I have that TBS funtime jingle stuck in my head.

I didn't start taping the shorts until I moved to Vegas in '82. My earliest memory of the Stooges was in Baltimore, MD where I was born. So, they've followed me everywhere.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Wasn't that the norm back in the earlier years of the Stooges on TV?  I think seeing the Stooges uninterrupted on TV has been more of a recent luxury.  That was one thing I enjoyed about AMC's broadcasts. [pie]