Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge supporting player sighting

Guest · 13 · 5091

stooged and confused

I just saw an episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show (season 1 episode 19 "Where Did I Come From?") where Rob and Laura are explaining to son Ritchie how he was born. This is the classic episode where Rob sleeps in his suit with his hat placed right above his head and the phone on his chest to dial the hospital when the big moment arrives.

Anyway, Harold "Tiny" Braurer plays the cab driver. He was Butch McGee in "Three Loan Wolves" with Curly and as Big Mike in "Fright Night" with Shemp. He played in several Stooge shorts, usually as a heavy. He was many years older in this Van Dyke episode, but looked and sounded the same with several pounds of weight being the only noticeable difference. Check this out when you are able!

Offline metaldams

Yeah, a lot of these supporting players had careers outside of the Stooges.  Been watching a lot of Harry Langdon recently, aned there's more Vernon Dent than you can shake a stick at.  A little Bud Jamison too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Double Deal Decker

Kenneth MacDonald went on to a recurring role as a judge on the old "Perry Mason" series, but everybody probably knows that.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Yeah, a lot of these supporting players had careers outside of the Stooges.  Been watching a lot of Harry Langdon recently, aned there's more Vernon Dent than you can shake a stick at.  A little Bud Jamison too.
You don't mean like sitcoms, do you?

I've seen more of the supporting players in other Columbia shorts but nothing outside of that.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Kenneth MacDonald went on to a recurring role as a judge on the old "Perry Mason" series, but everybody probably knows that.

I had completely forgotten about that.  It's been years (decades, actually) since I've watched the old Perry Mason series; possibly not since the 70's.  I used to enjoy them back then, so I'll have to look for those.

Offline Dr. Belch

Joe Besser lent his voice to an I Dream of Jeannie cartoon in the seventies, playing a fat, incompetent apprentice genie named Baboo.   "Rapple-dapple!"   Jeannie, her master (not Maj. Nelson, but some teenager), and Baboo appeared in The New Scooby Doo Movies, since both series were created by Hanna-Barbera. The Three Stooges appeared in two other SD movie episodes, though not voiced by the original Stooges--Moe and Larry had passed on two years before, and DeRita was nowhere near the project for some reason.

I don't suppose I need to mention a young blonde (!) then-unknown named Lucille Ball got her start in THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS...but I will.  [3stooges]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Joe Besser lent his voice to an I Dream of Jeannie cartoon in the seventies, playing a fat, incompetent apprentice genie named Baboo.   "Rapple-dapple!"   Jeannie, her master (not Maj. Nelson, but some teenager), and Baboo appeared in The New Scooby Doo Movies, since both series were created by Hanna-Barbera.

ThreeStooges.net's TV Guest Appearances filmography.

Offline Dr. Belch

Ah, yes, I've recalled another one. Walter Brennan, the scratchy-voiced character actor who played the fellow lodge member in Woman Haters and The Stooges' pop in Restless Knights, is perhaps best known for starring in the sixties sitcom The Real McCoys.

Dye-blonde doll Christine McIntyre may best be known for her Stooge work, but she was actually a very gifted stage actress and soprano (and, yes, that is actually her voice heard in Micro-Phonies). With better luck and timing she might have even enjoyed a TV career as fruitful as Brennan's or Ball's.

Offline metaldams

Ah, yes, I've recalled another one. Walter Brennan, the scratchy-voiced character actor who played the fellow lodge member in Woman Haters and The Stooges' pop in Restless Knights, is perhaps best known for starring in the sixties sitcom The Real McCoys.

Dye-blonde doll Christine McIntyre may best be known for her Stooge work, but she was actually a very gifted stage actress and soprano (and, yes, that is actually her voice heard in Micro-Phonies). With better luck and timing she might have even enjoyed a TV career as fruitful as Brennan's or Ball's.

As somebody who has seen tons of old movies, not just The Three Stooges, it's a bloody crime Christine McIntyre never did more than b-westerns and Columbia shorts (obviously I love Columbia shorts, but let's not kid ourselves, no actress could ever receive noteriety or other opportunities from them).  By the time she was in Stooge shorts, she was "old" by Hollywood standards, being in her mid -30's 'til 40's, so it was too late for her to receive stardom by that point, but damn, she was more beautiful and had tons more talent than some standard 21 year old window dressing actress.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Belch

In her later years--which, as you said, by Tinseltown standards was about 40--McIntyre retired from showbiz and went into real estate, where she worked for 30 years. Now that's something.  Wouldn't you love to be the guy who could say, "Hey, my pop bought our house from the dame who beat the hell outta Shemp in 'Brideless Groom'!" 

Offline Lefty

Not only did Christine McIntyre go into real estate, but so did "Batgirl" Yvonne Craig.  So for both of them, renege on a deal and get beat up.   [pie]

Offline Darkhoarse820

See, I already knew Brennan from "Pride of the Yankees".  Also, you can go to the Tiki Room at Disneyland and hear his voice as one of the totum Gods in the courtyard.  I kind of did a double-take when I first heard it.

Offline Darkhoarse820

I'll bet you can't guess what Dan Blocker did for thirteen years after co-starring with the Stooges in 1957...
(if you reply with the correct answer, you're trying too hard and you just don't get it...)