Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

How Often Are There Conventions/Fan Club Meetings?

Offline locoboymakesgood

I've noticed discussion on the Board here about Conventions (one I read was back in '91) and then annual Fan Club Meetings. Are both a yearly thing, semi-yearly, occasional, etc.? I was always curious.. I'd love to attend one sometime.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I've noticed discussion on the Board here about Conventions (one I read was back in '91) and then annual Fan Club Meetings. Are both a yearly thing, semi-yearly, occasional, etc.? I was always curious.. I'd love to attend one sometime.

The Fan Club hosted the last Convention in 1995. They were held from 1987 - 1995 in Trevose PA (suburb north of Philadelphia).

Since 1999, the Fan Club has hosted meetings for its membership, in the Philadelphia area. For the past several years, the locale has been Springhouse, PA, home of The Stoogeum, and nearby Ft. Washington, PA (hotel site). Information and itineraries of the annual meeting, next scheduled for April 25 - 27, 2008, is provided in the Winter and Spring issues The Three Stooges Journal.

Other fan gatherings, such as last month's 105th birthday celebration of Larry Fine, are usually reported in The Journal, as well as this website.

C3 held its own convention in 1998, in Burbank, CA; there has not been a second, to date.

Offline locoboymakesgood

The Fan Club hosted the last Convention in 1995. They were held from 1987 - 1995 in Trevose PA (suburb north of Philadelphia).

Since 1999, the Fan Club has hosted meetings for its membership, in the Philadelphia area. For the past several years, the locale has been Springhouse, PA, home of The Stoogeum, and nearby Ft. Washington, PA (hotel site). Information and itineraries of the annual meeting, next scheduled for April 25 - 27, 2008, is provided in the Winter and Spring issues The Three Stooges Journal.

Other fan gatherings, such as last month's 105th birthday celebration of Larry Fine, are usually reported in The Journal, as well as this website.

C3 held its own convention in 1998, in Burbank, CA; there has not been a second, to date.
Thank you for the information. Is there a much of a difference between the Conventions and the Fan Club meetings?

Offline Hammond Eggar

I assume you are familiar with The Three Stooges Journal?  If not, it's a fan club publication, edited by Gary Lassin (aka GaryStooge).  Gary's wife is the grand-niece of Larry Fine.  Her grandfather was Larry's brother, Morris Feinberg.  Morris was the editer of The Three Stooges Journal before Gary.  I became a subscriber and club member shortly before Morris (aka Moe) died.  My first two issues were during his tenure.  Then Gary took over.  This was during the late-1980s.

As time went on, I began reading about a planned Three Stooges Convention.  It was held in Philidelphia.  It was a great success by all accounts.  The conventions became a yearly event.  I attended the one in 1991, which, I believe, was the third one.  Gary can correct me, and fill in the gaps, but by the late-1990s, they stopped being called conventions, and became known as Fan Club Meetings.  While I've yet to attend a meeting, what I've read about them has me thinking that they are pretty much the same as a convention, just using a different name.  I think C3 had something to do with these events no longer being called conventions, but again, I defer to Gary, or anyone with better knowledge on the subject.  The Fan Club Meetings happen once a year.

As for other conventions around the country, I only know of two.  A club member named Joe Jerrier hosted one in Maine back in the early-1990s.  He was later kicked out of the club for selling phony Stooges memorabilia.  C3 hosted a convention in Burbank, CA back in 1998.  Highlights of this event were included on the DVD All-Time Favorites, which also includes the home movies, Jerks of All Trade and Kook's Tour. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline locoboymakesgood

I assume you are familiar with The Three Stooges Journal?  If not, it's a fan club publication, edited by Gary Lassin (aka GaryStooge).  Gary's wife is the grand-niece of Larry Fine.  Her grandfather was Larry's brother, Morris Feinberg.  Morris was the editer of The Three Stooges Journal before Gary.  I became a subscriber and club member shortly before Morrie (aka Moe) died.  My first two issues were during his tenure.  Then Gary took over.  This was during the late-1980s.
I'm well-aware of the Journal - I've just have been slacking in the sign-up Department. I believe my Father was a member awhile back.. late 70s/early 80s I think. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive.

I think I came across something on the Stoogeum website that has information on joining the Fan Club. I'll have to sign up next time I have some extra $$.

Thanks again to all for the information!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... but by the late-1990s, they stopped being called conventions, and became known as Fan Club Meetings.
...what I've read about them has me thinking that they are pretty much the same as a convention, just using a different name.  

No...

Convention = commercial event, open to the public; last one hosted was in 1995

Meeting = private gathering for Fan Club members and their guests

Offline Hammond Eggar

No...

Convention = commercial event, open to the public; last one hosted was in 1995

Meeting = private gathering for Fan Club members and their guests

Ah, I see now.  That said, the activities at each seem to be pretty much the same.  Both are held in a hotel, with family members and supporting actors/actresses in attendance.  Plus, many Stooges films are screened through-out the weekend.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but memorabilia dealers are also on hand. 

What exactly was C3's role in the change, if any?  I can't recall the details. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)