Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936, October 30

BeAStooge · 198 · 55619

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges 1934-1936 DVDs: October 30, 2007 - November 05, 2007

Offline Hammond Eggar

I was checking retail this weekend hoping to find an advance copy.  No such luck.

But I noticed the themed discs still for sale.  

Sony should pull these off the shelves.  Having a single series for sale will increase the odds of new, casual fans collecting the series (I wouldn't consider us causal fans).

And continuing to sell these hated theme discs will just annoy future customers, like it did us.  Why not just give new customers the 1, new & better choice? This numbered, chronological series will be easy for them to follow.   

If Sony keeps selling the themed discs, casual fans will be checking episode titles from the new collections against nearly 2 dozen of the themed discs. 

They are going to get frustrated and may leave the store w/ out buying anything.

Larry Larry has a good point.  I thought I had read here that the older discs had been discontinued.  Yet, while browsing Amazon I came across a few titles still being sold, and these were not by indiviual sellers, either.  I agree that it would be better for Sony in the long run if they did stop producing/selling the themed discs.  Perhaps they're just waiting until the new set is released.  I wonder if those titles will still be in print after next Tuesday.  Hmm!?!

Then again, look at what happened with To Kill a Mockingbird.  A year or two back I was looking to purchase a DVD copy of this classic film.  After all, it is my #5 favorite film of all-time.  Well, I couldn't find any stores that carried it, which really stunned me, seeing as the American Film Institute considers it among the 25 best films in the history of American cinema.  Well, it turns out that it had been discontinued in anticipation of a much better, multi-disc set which I eventually bought.  Perhaps Sony should consider doing the same with those themed Stooges DVDs.  Then again, wouldn't stores continue to sell what's already in stock, even if they reduce the price? :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Sony should pull these off the shelves.  Having a single series for sale will increase the odds of new, casual fans collecting the series (I wouldn't consider us causal fans).

I suspect that Sony has already ceased production of them  By the time you see the items in the store, they are the store's property and no longer belong to Sony.  Sony would have to buy back those DVDs and take a big loss, so naturally they aren't going to do that and I wouldn't expect them to.

No retailer in his right mind is going to just throw away DVDs like those, not as long as someone is willing to buy them.  I would expect those DVDs to be drastically reduced, though, once the sales of the new collection take off.  The retailers who still have old stock will probably end up reducing the price close to their cost in order to unload therm.

Offline Justin T

I decided to get mine from Amazon.com, cant pass up the 16.99 sale price and I have
2 Day Free Shipping during my Amazon Prime trial membership. So no shipping fee
and it ships really fast, whats not to love?  ;)

My order says they will ship it on Oct 30th and it will arrive by November 1st.

I can't wait till next week!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Doesn't look like Wal-Mart will be carrying it. The website says it's "online only".

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7209121
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Doesn't look like Wal-Mart will be carrying it. The website says it's "online only".

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7209121

Good.  Wal-Mart gets too much money anyways.

The cheapest that I've seen it for was $19.99 at Best Buy.  I'll go there, and if they don't have it on Tuesday I'll check Circuit City.  Then I'll go with Amazon as a last resort.  We're so close to having this first set!   8)
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

xraffle

Circuit City is probably the last place that will carry this title. They never carry the DVD I'm looking for. I have never seen a stooge DVD on the shelves of Circuit City. I don't know about everyone else. Maybe the Circuit City's that I go to just happen to be bad, but very rarely do I find what I'm looking for there. Not only that, but the DVDs are all over the place. They're not even in Alpabetical order. They're all mixed up. Not only does Circuit City maintain their inventory very poorly, but they don't even organize the shelves. This is why I like Best Buy much better. Circuit City is just a disgrace.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I personally prefer Circuit City to Best Buy overall, but they're not really known for their great selection of movies. They're an excellent (and by far the best) electronics store, but when it comes to DVDs Best Buy always wins.

I will say this though.. for some of the holes in my Stooges collection Circuit City was able to fill them. That was in NY though; in California the DVD section here is very minimal. I'd say they'll have the new set in, albeit maybe one or two copies.

HOWEVER, even though Wal-Mart "gets too much money anyway", they're the largest retailer in the world and no doubt would double the exposure this set could get. The fact that its online only is a bit of a letdown.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I stopped by a nearby Borders here in San Antonio just to do some early investigating.  A sales clerk checked their system to see what info they had regarding the new Stooges DVD set.  It doesn't look as though they are planning to stock it.  Today is Thursday, and they haven't even placed an order for copies yet.  Besides, it appears the Borders asking price is $24.99.  Geesh!  :o

In other news, yesterday I found online Richard Roeper's email address.  I emailed him some info about the DVD set, and asked him to consider promoting it on his TV show during the Thumbs-Up Video segment.  I explained to him why this set is so special, and why his plug is so important.  Hopefully, he'll make mention of the set on this weekend's show.  Let's keep our fingers crossed. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

stooged and confused

I am fearing that retail outlets have felt "burned" by Sony's previous compilations, having previous titles sit on the shelf. That being said, they may stay away from the new set, which is the one they SHOULD stock.

How well Sony is advertising this title is another matter. I've been given no information as to how they choose to advertise it.

I'm guessing the bulk of sales will come from online, a tool that has been successful in marketing other specialty items. Amazon's rankings have been encouraging.

Curley91

Today is Thursday, and they haven't even placed an order for copies yet.  Besides, it appears the Borders asking price is $24.99.  Geesh! 

I remember that Borders has passed on the prior Stooge DVDs as well.  Their prices ARE outrageous. 

I am fearing that retail outlets have felt "burned" by Sony's previous compilations

That is a good point. Most of Sony's other attempts at releasing the stooges (especially the last 2 colorized disks) have been major flops.  I had looked everywhere for them, and the only place I've ever even seen them is at Sam's Club. 

I'm seriously considering ordering my set through Amazon.com as well. 

(Save room for some pie!)  [pie]

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Yeah, may have to go online as well, I just love to see them in stores and pick up my PERSONAL copy from amongst the copies there, checking to make sure no flaws are detected (something online purchasers can't do much about) plus the waiting agony is reduced to a point. Online sales will be the best choice i'm sure but like i said nothing like the search factor in local stores (there it is!) Hey can I have that huge 6 foot display piece when your done with it, Well thank you so much.
(wishful thinking I know).

I Fleecem

(one hundred, two hundred, three hundred, four hundred, a fifty, how'd that get in here)

Shemp in Sing a song of six pants   

(below, Shemp calling Best Buy to check the price of the new Stooges Set) 

[attachment deleted by admin]

xraffle

I'm pretty sure Best Buy would carry it. They usually have the DVDs I want there. They might not have a lot of copies, but I'm sure they will have some.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I'm pretty sure Best Buy would carry it. They usually have the DVDs I want there. They might not have a lot of copies, but I'm sure they will have some.

Yeah, I have to agree with Xraffle.  Best Buy will probably have a few copies.  They're more likely than places such as Borders, Barnes & Noble and Circuit City.  The ironic thing is that places such as Hollywood Video and Blockbuster, which specialize in the home video market, are probably the least likely to carry the new Stooges DVD set.  I work for a Hollywood Video store here in San Antonio and I seriously doubt we'll even get a copy for rent Tuesday.  I could, maybe, see us getting a copy somewhere down the line, but long after the release date.  The store where I work is called a "library store" due to the fact that we stock so many more titles, and have more catagories/sections than the average store.  Hollywood only has 18 of them in the entire company, and it's a national chain.  Even at that, I still don't see us getting the DVD set by release date.  We don't even carry all of the themed DVDs, although we do carry some, as well as a lot of old VHS releases.  Oh, well.  Then again, stocking a Stooges DVD is the last thing the big-wigs at Hollywood need to worry about.  I heard the company filed for Chapter 11 recently.  Hmm.:-\

Offline locoboymakesgood

A Forum I frequent posts the upcoming week's Best Buy circular a few days in advance. I'll check it out when I get home and see if it's mentioned anywhere. If not I'll be there in store Tuesday after I get out of work scrambling for a copy.. as long as they get more than one in!

xraffle

The problem is that these stores tend to hesitate on ordering certain DVDs because they aren't sure whether or not it will be a success. This is why not many stores will carry this set.

I remember when I bought the first volume of the Popeye set. At Best Buy, there were only a few copies on the first week it came out. I was lucky I was able to get one. Then the following week, Best Buy had tons of them. I guess they didn't realize that the set would be that popular. I bet the same will happen with this stooge set. Not many stores will carry it on the first day, but after a week or so, many stores will have a lot of copies.

Offline Hammond Eggar

On the way into work this afternoon, I stopped by a Circuit City to ask if they'd be carrying the DVD set.  An employee looked it up and said it was only listed as 'shipping', which means you can only order a copy from their website.  As of right now, Circuit City has no plans to stock the set on Tuesday.  The employee did say that could change between now and then, but that's highly unlikely. :-\

Offline locoboymakesgood

I can confirm that it will NOT be in the Best Buy circular this weekend.

Doesn't look like much advertising on Sony's part. I haven't even seen a commercial for it. I guess this is just a strong word-of-mouth release.

xraffle

I can confirm that it will NOT be in the Best Buy circular this weekend.

Doesn't look like much advertising on Sony's part. I haven't even seen a commercial for it. I guess this is just a strong word-of-mouth release.

Not good. Not good at all. 

On Tuesday, I will go to J&R, which is a non-chain electronic store that's located here in New York City, and see if they have it. If not, I will check Best Buy's site and check if there is any store availability. If there is no luck, then I will have to order at Amazon and wait an extra two weeks.

Geez. Why bother to release a DVD if no store is going to carry it? I mean, if a company wants to sell its products, us customers need a place to purchase the damn thing.  [banghead]

Offline locoboymakesgood

On Tuesday, I will go to J&R, which is a non-chain electronic store that's located here in New York City, and see if they have it. If not, I will check Best Buy's site and check if there is any store availability. If there is no luck, then I will have to order at Amazon and wait an extra two weeks.

Geez. Why bother to release a DVD is no store is going to carry it? I mean, if a company wants to sell its products, us customers need a place to purchase the damn thing.  [banghead]
Well given, these circulars are printed months in advance.. it could be due to the fact that it wasn't announced until so late that it didn't make it in? The good thing is the Best Buy website said it WILL be available for in-store pickup depending on location - so some stores will have it, and others won't.

I just want this to sell, sell, sell! A little advertising wouldn't hurt..

Offline Hammond Eggar

Geez. Why bother to release a DVD if no store is going to carry it? I mean, if a company wants to sell its products, us customers need a place to purchase the damn thing.  [banghead]

You said it, Xraffle!  This is incredibly irritating.  That said, I'm still not sure about Best Buy or Wal-Mart.  Just because the Stooges set isn't in the Sunday circular, doesn't necessarily mean it won't be on the shelves come Tuesday. >:(

JH24

Volume one has been hugely successful on Amazon its sales rank is 42 and on the Canadian version of Amazon its 54

Offline locoboymakesgood

You said it, Xraffle!  This is incredibly irritating.  That said, I'm still not sure about Best Buy or Wal-Mart.  Just because the Stooges set isn't in the Sunday circular, doesn't necessarily mean it won't be on the shelves come Tuesday. >:(
Well, I think Best Buy is likely. The website has it for in-store pickup, meaning the store will have atleast one copy in.

Wal-Mart on the other hand is online only, soo..

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Now that the DVD is out, I'm going to lock this thread.  Members can continue the discussion in the Reviews thread:

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=1891.0