Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Best Shemp's solo short/film

Offline Shemoeley Fine

I have seen some of the shorts and movies where Shemp Howard is the principal actor or has a minor role e.g  Knife of the Party, w/ W C Fields, Abbott & Costello, Blondie and others.

In our members opinion, which non-Stooge Shemp role has his best acting?  Are there any films where Shemp is in a dramatic or at least non-comedic role?  I believe that of the 3 Howard brothers who became actors that Shemp was the most talented, granted Jerry wass a comedy genius, but Shemp was more of an actor. Are there any of the Joe Palooka films available on DVD and if so which are the best shorts of the Joe Palooka series which made Shemp exit his stint as one of the original Stooges opening the door for Curly?

To our many Shemp-aholics and Shemp-experters,  thanx in advance.

S F

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline 3Stooges

If you want the Joe Palooka films, you can get them on Ebay... 6479739077. They're not officials, but at least you can check them out. I've never seen them, so I cant say if they are good or not. I imagine that they'd be interesting to view even if they're not funny just because it's some rare Shemp footage to look at that we havent seen 10,000 times via the Columbia shorts.

Offline FineBari3

Out of the few Shemp shorts I have seen, I like Mr. Noisy the best, and I only saw it once (at last years Fan Club Meeting).

I think the first reel of Our First Flame is hillarious! I think I reviewed it here.......
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Me too ... His First Flame pits "Smokey Moe" against "Emmy" played by Daphne Pollard, and she steals the show!
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Pilsner Panther

I really like Daphne Pollard; she was a woman who wasn't afraid to do hard slapstick, and as such, she would have made the perfect female Stooge. A feature film with Daphne and Shemp could have been hilarious, but I guess no one thought of it.

"A Peach Of A Pair" is my personal favorite Shemp-Daphne co-starrer. It contains some gags that later show up in "An Ache In Every Stake," including the turkey-stuffing routine, only this time it's Shemp doing it instead of Curly. Which makes me think that the Stooges probably performed this bit regularly on the stage before it ever made it into a film.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 01:07:41 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Have to agree w/Pils and go with A PEACH OF A PAIR. Seeing Shemp get belted in the face w/a cleaver is a landmark.

In the feature films in which Shemp has a costarring or semi-cameo role, he's hard not to home in on  - he definitely was a scene-stealer. THE BANK DICK is his best-known costarring role, but he's even better served in some of the A&C movies (IT AIN'T HAY or IN THE NAVY) where he shows up. Shoot, he even steals scenes from William Powell in ANOTHER THIN MAN!

Speaking of which, ANOTHER THIN MAN is scheduled to air next week on one of the local channels here. Was this Shemp's only A-list feature film? Am pretty sure it's his only MGM film, done before he signed w/Universal. Universal's films were mostly B's. I might make exception for HELLZAPOPPIN' but I'd have to see the production stats to know for sure.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
ANOTHER THIN MAN is scheduled to air next week on one of the local channels here. Was this Shemp's only A-list feature film? Am pretty sure it's his only MGM film

Yes, ATM was his only MGM project.

On the A-list, Shemp also costarred in Universal's ARABIAN NIGHTS (1942), a Technicolor extravaganza starring Sabu, Jon Hall & Maria Montez.  Shemp and Billy Gilbert provided the comic support.  Universal gave a restored version of the film a laser disc package about 10 years ago, but nothing for DVD yet (excepting a Region 0 DVD from a South Korean distributor that's been on the market a couple years).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 08:39:27 PM by BeAStooge »

Pilsner Panther

Is "The Bank Dick" considered a B picture? It couldn't have had that large a budget, but the car chase at the end must have been fairly expensive to film, even though it uses some back-projection.

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
If THE BANK DICK was an A picture, it was on the more economical side of the A budget. I'd have to see more evidence to make s ure judgment, but few of Universal's films of that era were A's, with the exception of the Deanna Durbins. But Fields was one of their bigger contract names, so it's hard to say. MY LITTLE CHICKADEE would be an A, though on the economical side, but most of the star comedians of that era didn't make A pictures (the Marx Bros. excepted). The Ritz Bros., for example, worked under Zanuck's A unit at Fox when they costarred in big films where they provided comic relief, but they were shunted to the B unit (under Sol Wurtzel) for their "starring" films like THE GORILLA. Comedy was seldom considered "prestige" material that warranted A treatment. Sure, exceptions like Eddie Cantor's films were around, but even at Paramount Fields varied between A list pics like MISSISSIPPI and B pics (from his own screenplays) like IT'S A GIFT.

Had no idea Shemp had made a film in Technicolor, nor that he had worked w/ Billy Gilbert as early as 41, though they became an informal team in other films. Have never read any comments, but I bet Gilbert enjoyed working with Shemp.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... the Joe Palooka series which made Shemp exit his stint as one of the original Stooges opening the door for Curly?

A generally held belief, primarily due to comments by Moe in various interviews, but it's actually not the case.

Shemp accepted an offer at Vitaphone to appear in general short subject comedies. His first short was a bit role in CLOSE RELATIONS (1933), starring "Fatty" Arbuckle, which went into production in early 1933.

Over the next three+ years he supported and/or costarred in a total of 35 Vitaphone comedies (that we know of; a new one seems to discovered every couple years).  After Arbuckle died, Shemp played support in the "Gus Shy" and "Ben Blue" series.  He started as support for Roscoe Ates and Harry Gribbon, but quickly graduated to costar status in those films. And, then he was paired with Daphne Pollard for a handful of shorts.

The seven "Palooka" shorts he did were the last projects of his Vitaphone employment.  The series didn't go into production until February 1936, with FOR THE LOVE OF PETE (1936). Vitaphone didn't secure film rights to produce the series until sometime in late 1935, almost three years after Shemp joined the studio.

Warner decided to phase out Vitaphone's Astoria/Queens studio and consolidate operations in Hollywood. Shemp's contract was not renewed in early 1937 and he finally decided to move to the west coast and join his parents and famous brothers. A couple more "Palooka" shorts were made without him, but the Astoria facility was closed soon after.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
In our members opinion, which non-Stooge Shemp role has his best acting?  Are there any films where Shemp is in a dramatic or at least non-comedic role?

Shemp appeared as comic relief in many dramatic B-movies, but there are very few where he played drama himself.  Most notable is CONVENTION GIRL (1935), where he's a gangster and murderer.  During the action sequences of ARABIAN NIGHTS (1942) he has the opportunity for some action/adventure scenes.  And although its basically a comedic role, he is a henchman and murderer in DANGEROUS BUSINESS (1945); similar to the types of characters Ben Welden is known for.

Are there any of the Joe Palooka films available on DVD and if so which are the best shorts of the Joe Palooka series

Warner Bros. owns the shorts, and none have been released by the studio on DVD (or VHS).  A video label called Channel/Operator 13 released some bargain-type tapes with Shemp solos in the mid-1980s, which were dubs transferred from collector 16mm prints.  They had several of Shemp's Vitaphone era shorts, including a "Palooka" short, THE CHOKE'S ON YOU (1936). About 10 years ago, those tape 'masters' were sold to another bargain label called Hollywood's Attic, which is now a division of Nostalgia Family Video.

Those tapes are multi-generation dubs, Warner Brothers has claimed active copyright ownership of the Vitaphone library in recent years (which offically classifies them as "bootlegs")... but the last time I looked, Movies Unlimited was still selling some old VHS inventory.

Shemp did seven "Joe Palooka" shorts, but two that I enjoy a lot are KICK ME AGAIN (1937) and HERE'S HOWE (1936). In all seven, Shemp steals the show.

which non-Stooge Shemp role has his best acting? 

I break his solo career down into 4 stages, with favorites within each stage.

Vitaphone  1933 - 1937
ART TROUBLE (1934), with Jimmy Stewart's film debut
DIZZY & DAFFY (1934), with Dizzy and Daffy Dean
KICK ME AGAIN (1937)
MY MUMMY'S ARMS (1934)
ON THE WAGON (1935)
A PEACH OF A PAIR (1934)
SMOKED HAMS (1934)
WHILE THE CAT'S AWAY (1936)

Columbia  1937 - 1940
BOOBS IN THE WOODS (1940)
HEADIN' EAST (1937)
HOLLYWOOD ROUND-UP (1937)

Universal  1940 - 1943
ARABIAN NIGHTS (1942), Shemp in Technicolor!
THE BANK DICK (1940)
BUCK PRIVATES (1941)
CRAZY HOUSE (1943)
IT AIN'T HAY (1943)
MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER (1940)
PRIVATE BUCKAROO (1942), performing with The Andrews Sisters
SAN ANTONIO ROSE (1941), teamed with Lon Chaney Jr.
SIX LESSONS FROM MADAME LAZONGA (1941), a tri-fecta... playing comedy off Lupe Velez, William Frawley and Leon Errol

Columbia  1944 - 1947
BLONDIE KNOWS BEST (1946)
A HIT WITH A MISS (1945), remake of PUNCH DRUNKS
MR. NOISY (1946), remake of Charley Chase's THE HECKLER
OPEN SEASON FOR SAPS (1944)
PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS (1944)
SOCIETY MUGS (1946), remake of TERMITES OF 1938

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
"A Peach Of A Pair" is my personal favorite Shemp-Daphne co-starrer. It contains some gags that later show up in "An Ache In Every Stake," including the turkey-stuffing routine, only this time it's Shemp doing it instead of Curly. Which makes me think that the Stooges probably performed this bit regularly on the stage before it ever made it into a film.

Neither Shemp or the Stooges brought those scenes to their two respective shorts.

The screenwriters for A PEACH OF A PAIR borrowed those gags from silent comedies.  Lloyd French directed A PEACH OF A PAIR, and when he wrote the screenplay for AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, they were borrowed once again.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Be A Stooge is the mudder friggin-fraggin man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your last posts are beyond excellent. I'll cherish that info the rest of my life.
Please accept my eternal gratitude and thanks......

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

Be A Stooge is the mudder friggin-fraggin man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your last posts are beyond excellent. I'll cherish that info the rest of my life.
Please accept my eternal gratitude and thanks......

S F

This isn't the first time that BeAStooge has corrected me, but his corrections I don't mind. Brent is one of the handful of people who make this site the valuable Stooges and vintage comedy resource that it is!

[thumbsup]

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I have to agree that the best and funniest Shemp Solo Is "Mr Noisy".  I love the part where
Shemp rips the band aid of the guys neck to use to keep his seat cushion inflated.

"Aw Quit Sqawkin' I'll give it back to you after the game" - (Shemp)

Signed,
I Fleecem,
President

Offline Laughing Gravy

My fave Shemp appearance is definitely ARABIAN NIGHTS. And in Technicolor yet! Why, oh why did Universal give us two boxed sets of Ma & Pa Kettle but no Maria Montez/Jon Hall films?!?!?

Love MR. NOISY, too.

And I currently have a big feature article on Shemp's 1940s Columbia shorts up at www.inthebalcony.com/shorts

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
I have all his Columbia shorts and a few of his Vitaphone shorts, and I agree that "Mr. Noisy" is his best solo short by far. I even reviewed it on this site!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline Jayne1955

I hope you don't mind if a newbie bumps this. I just wondered if I could say I'd have voted for The Bank Dick.

You'll probably all hate me (Most stooge fans Iknow personally do when I say this!) but I adored Shemp. I think he has great timing. I think his problem was he looked too much like a long-haired Moe for some fans, but I think it's undeniable that the guy had a lot of talent.

Offline Justin T

I hope you don't mind if a newbie bumps this. I just wondered if I could say I'd have voted for The Bank Dick.

You'll probably all hate me (Most stooge fans Iknow personally do when I say this!) but I adored Shemp. I think he has great timing. I think his problem was he looked too much like a long-haired Moe for some fans, but I think it's undeniable that the guy had a lot of talent.

Nah, there are plenty of Shemp fans on this borad. Curly my be my personal favorite but that doesn't make me love Shemp any less. Some of my favorite Stooge shorts are Shemp ones. Shemp was very talented IMO and got to show it in many of his solo film and short work. A fellow fan here on the boards gave me some of Shemp's solo Columbia shorts and several of them are very funny!

So don't worry, express your Shemp love!  ;)

I havent seen many of his solo film work except for "The Invisible Women" and his Abbot and Costello movie apperences (but I havent seen them in ages so I'm planning on buying the A&C DVD collections to see them again) I have never seen "The Bank Dick" so thats also on the viewing list for the future.

Of his shorts, I havent watched all the ones I have yet but so far I have to say that "Open Season For Saps" and "A Hit With A Miss"(a remake of "Punch Drunks") were very funny. I have heard how great "Mr.Noisy" is and thats next on the viewing list.

"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I would have to say SALT WATER DAFFY and HIS FIRST FLAME . Also he was funny in the Abbott & Costello film
IT AIN'T HAY ....

ThumpTheShoes

He's quite good in the Vitaphone short, The Officer's Mess. Imagine a cross between Bill Murray in What About Bob? and Daffy Duck!
He sings, dances, and plays a ukulele! Who could ask for more?

-Th

Offline Carrie The Canary

I'' throw in an odd one, but is one of my favorite Shemp appearances.

The New Years 1952 Frank Sinatra TV show. 

I have a copy of the whole thing, and Shemp is wonderful.  Remember that it was a live telecast, and he does not miss a beat.  Especially funny is when Sinatra tells the Stooges to "sit down", all find chairs except Shemp.  Shemp looks around, sees no chair, and pushes out the tails of his tailcoat
(they are stiff) and leans back on them like a chair.  The audience howls and Shemp pads for time waiting out the laughs with a series of funny faces and takes.  He also takes a drink, freaks out, drops to the floor and spins like a top (how old was he then?  Like late 50s?).  Later in the telecast, the whole company performs a sketch, where Moe and Larry roll in a rolled-up rug, which is unrolled revealing Shemp in Coke-bottle glasses, who stands up and delivers letter-perfect lines. 

Live TV.  No retakes.  This guy was a real pro! 

Offline Laughing Gravy

Add me to the list (however short or weird) who enjoy the Shemp shorts more than the Curly shorts.

I second the votes for MR. NOISY, although I love the Charley Chase original (THE HECKLER) as much.

And since this thread was revived, it's worth noting that ARABIAN KNIGHTS with Shemp in living Technicolor has since been released on a low-cost DVD from Universal.

www.inthebalcony.com