Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Suggestion for Dunrobin

Offline Hammond Eggar

Recently I posted a question regarding the sets used in the making of the Three Stooges shorts.  It's been said that the sets used were simply holdovers from the major feature films being shot at Columbia.  In the Youtube/Google forum, I posted links to a Larry interview from 1973 where he confirms this.  He used the example of the film Twntieth Century from 1934.  He stated that since it took place on a train, that's why Woman Haters also took place on a train.  I was hoping to create a list of all the films which include sets later used in various Three Stooges shorts/features.  Would that be something worth adding to the database here?  You could have the films listed either alphabetically or by release dates.  A person would click on the film title (much like the Routines feature) and it would present information regarding which Stooges short used a set from that film, and which set it was exactly.  We already know of Twentieth Century.  Obviously, there are other entries that would be added as time rolls on.  I think it would be very fascinating, and would add another dimension to our understanding and appreciation of the Stooges, as well as the film-making process as a whole.  Please give this some thought, Dunrobin.  Thanks! [pie]

EDIT - Here are some more options on how to possibly present the information.  You could have a link to STOOGE SETS.  The list could be compiled by Stooges film titles or by the names of the feature films.  My preference would be to list the titles in chronological order and use the Stooges film titles.  After clicking the title, info would appear stating the title of the film in which the set(s) originated and the year of release for said film.  If you prefer not to go to that much trouble, you could just add the information to the synopsis page for a particular short.  I'm just spitballing here. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Hammond,
I had those same thoughts recently. It's nice to see that Stoogeheads think alike. I feel it would be a very nice addition to our beloved site. It started when listening to the "Larry" interview in his home, where he states that the boys never had an original set. A research into that assertion would at least reveal whether Larry was just joking or not, or whether he was just going by hearsay.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Hammond,
I had those same thoughts recently. It's nice to see that Stoogeheads think alike. I feel it would be a very nice addition to our beloved site. It started when listening to the "Larry" interview in his home, where he states that the boys never had an original set. A research into that assertion would at least reveal whether Larry was just joking or not, or whether he was just going by hearsay.

Well, in that interview from 1973, Larry did reference the film Twentieth Century from 1934.  According to Larry, the train sets from Woman Haters were first used in this John Barrymore film.  I rented a VHS copy of the film today, and plan to watch it tonight or tomorrow.  I don't need to watch it to confirm Larry's comments, though.  What impressed me most about his interview is just how strong his memory was, especially when you consider his age and the fact that he was a stroke sufferer.  He also mentioned the Frank Sinatra film Pal Joey, stating that they used an apartment set.  The Sinatra film was issued in the late-1950s, so I assume the set(s) were used for a Joe Besser short, but would need confirmation.  Once a film can be confirmed, then it could be added to the list.  If you're on-board with this idea, then perhaps we can convince Dunrobin.  I don't think that would be too hard, though. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)