Guest · 205 · 55007

ThumpTheShoes

I always thought Bert had a finger up his ass!  >:D

I don't know how to write the sound of it, but, imagine an Ernie laugh:

"Kchhhh Hchhhh Hchhhh!"   ;D

-Th

Offline Hammond Eggar

It was pretty bizarre to say the least, if not less. :D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

xraffle

DVDTalk.com has finally given a review for this set. Their rating is DVD Talk Collector Series, which is outstanding.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31248

Offline scgenres

I think Sony finally did an excellent treatment of the Stooges here.  Are the discs perfectly perfect? Of course not, but I have yet to buy a DVD that plays flawlessly.  Usually, there are places where the picture freezes or "blocks up"; normally (but not always), this occurs when the laser changes layers (In fact, my "Superman II" disc actually locks up for about half a second when it's changing layers).  Bottom line is, as long as the media has moving parts, there will be flaws and, for this reason, I'm of the opinion that the NEXT medium will be something like a thumb drive that plugs into a player, but this will be years down the road, I'm sure.  I'll sign off with a salute to Sony for FINALLY giving Stooge fans a quality product, and as long as this quality continues, I will purchase every Stooge collection that is released.

Curley91

Part of the audio is clipped there, as well. Instead of, "You like?", it sounds more like Curly says, "__u like?"

On that note, I found another glitch in "Horses' Collars."  When the Stooges first enter the bar,  it sounds like Larry's "give us three glasses" is messed up.  It ends up sounding like "give us th-e glasses."  Then, when it cuts to the shot of the stooges pouring the liquor, the picture becomes very blurry and unstable.  Has anyone else caught this? 

Plus, I am trying to tell if the "Ants In The Pantry" audio is screwed up just after the blackout.  If I could find my old video copy, I could know for sure! 

If the Stooges set is anything like the other classic DVD boxed sets that are released, it should have an upcoming reivew in the Milwaukee Journal.  If it is reviewed, I'll be posting it. 

[pie]

xraffle

Plus, I am trying to tell if the "Ants In The Pantry" audio is screwed up just after the blackout.  If I could find my old video copy, I could know for sure! 

Yup, I caught that. Sony couldn't replace the blackout, so they had to remove it completely and clip out a little bit of the audio.

When the woman says "I didn't know we have moths" then the blackout occurs when the other woman says "Oh! Have them cleaned out immediately."

But in order to cover up the blackout, they removed that part of the film and the other woman just says "Have them cleaned out immediately." So, in ordered to cover up the removal of the blackout, the "Oh!" is missing and the audio is slightly sped up.

I don't blame Sony for this as I believe that this part of the film was destroyed and there's nothing else Sony could do to fix it.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Yup, I caught that. Sony couldn't replace the blackout, so they had to remove it completely and clip out a little bit of the audio.

When the woman says "I didn't know we have moths" then the blackout occurs when the other woman says "Oh! Have them cleaned out immediately."

But in order to cover up the blackout, they removed that part of the film and the other woman just says "Have them cleaned out immediately." So, in ordered to cover up the removal of the blackout, the "Oh!" is missing and the audio is slightly sped up.

I don't blame Sony for this as I believe that this part of the film was destroyed and there's nothing else Sony could do to fix it.

Interesting.

I learn something new everyday here.  :)
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline busybuddy

When Ants in the Pantry was shown on AMC, the part where Moe is trying to stop Curly from sneezing was put in slow motion in order to fill the space that the blackout took up and keep the audio in line.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Was it a huge gap that is "missing"? Are there lines of audio missing or is it just brief? I haven't seen Ants In the Pantry other than on the new DVD in ages, so I don't remember the blackout exactly.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

Was it a huge gap that is "missing"? Are there lines of audio missing or is it just brief? I haven't seen Ants In the Pantry other than on the new DVD in ages, so I don't remember the blackout exactly.

It was just a one second flash. Like I said before, the only thing missing was the woman saying "Oh!" when she tells the woman to clean out the moths. That's the best I can do to describe it.

Offline locoboymakesgood

It was just a one second flash. Like I said before, the only thing missing was the woman saying "Oh!" when she tells the woman to clean out the moths. That's the best I can do to describe it.

Nah, that's fine. I just wasnt sure if it was something huge and significant that was lost forever or anything.. knowing the scene you're talking about though, that makes sense.

xraffle

I wonder if Sony will release all the shorts in a 2 year period. If they are then, that means, Volume 2 will be released in December. I think that may be too soon for Sony because if the next set were to be released in December, then there would have been some press release already. I have a feeling that they might release the shorts in a 3 year period to give themselves more time to remaster and restore the shorts. That's fine with me because I'd prefer that they take their time with the sets and give us good quality prints rather than releasing the shorts quickly and giving us poor prints.

xraffle

On that note, I found another glitch in "Horses' Collars."  When the Stooges first enter the bar,  it sounds like Larry's "give us three glasses" is messed up.  It ends up sounding like "give us th-e glasses."  Then, when it cuts to the shot of the stooges pouring the liquor, the picture becomes very blurry and unstable.  Has anyone else caught this? 

Yeah, I just finished watching that short on the DVD and there are a couple of glitches there. The first one is the one you just mentioned. And the second one is when Decker says "Next time any strangers come here, I won't be so easy." On the DVD, it sounds like "-ext time any strangers..." These problems were not on the VHS and TV prints. Apparently, there are some problems on some of the prints Sony chose. Sony should consider hiring a stooge fan to help them out with these sets. If they want to hire me, I'll be more than happy to take the job and not get paid for it. That's how desperate I want Sony to get it right.

Offline busybuddy

Personally, I think that after waiting so long for these to be released, I can stand an ext instead of next once in a while. If we start nit-picking to much, we'll look ungrateful and Sony may give up on these sets because they'll think nothing can make us happy. This set is in chronological order, with excellent prints, and at a low price, so with that in mind, I we think we should let little flubs like that go. Once again, just my opinion.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I'll agree with busybuddy (even though I just noticed he smote me in August! I must've had a bad day.) Sony is probably trying to balance the prints with the best audio and video so their editting is less extensive.

Honestly, some of these goofs escape me until pointed out here. The set is much better than the crappy VHS copies I have with a TBS or AMC "bug" in the corner and commercials!

I suppose the release will be dependent on sales of Vol. 1, and what S&C meant by "Vol. 2 is on the table" in an earlier post. Is it finished? or is it waiting to be greenlighted for production by Sony execs?

Curious minds want to know!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

ThumpTheShoes

Personally, I think that after waiting so long for these to be released, I can stand an ext instead of next once in a while. If we start nit-picking to much, we'll look ungrateful and Sony may give up on these sets because they'll think nothing can make us happy. This set is in chronological order, with excellent prints, and at a low price, so with that in mind, I we think we should let little flubs like that go. Once again, just my opinion.

For now, yes. I can deal with it. But, as we move along, I would expect to have no nits to pick! Sony has the money, the time and the technical resources to present these films as they were when new and as they should be. No glitches, no clipped dialogue, none of that!

-Th

Offline Hammond Eggar

I agree with you, busybuddy.  I love this set greatly.  Is it perfect.  No, but it's the best packaging of the shorts we fans have ever received.  I do know that some shorts look crisper and clearer than others.  That said, all the shorts are 100% enjoyable, and look better than they have in years, possibly ever.  I am so happy.  Sony, if you are reading this, please don't wait too long for the next set.  You definitely get two thumbs-up from me.  Here's a pie for you, as well. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

xraffle

I do agree with you. I was wrong to get all anal retentive on Sony. While some prints may not look as good as the previous release, none of the shorts are terrible looking. They all still look great.

Also, I can tell Sony worked very hard on this release. After watching this entire set, I went back and watched some of the previous DVD releases and I forgot how dirty these shorts were. Sony did a wonderful job cleaning up the picture on this new set.

Anyway, after my terrible experience with Amazon, I will be buying the future volumes in stores. You have no idea how much hell I went through just waiting for Volume 1 to come in the mail.

Offline Justin T

I totally agree with you, minor glitches do not detract from the fact we got alot of what we have been asking for
for years. I'm very happy with this set and can't wait for more.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

For Volume 2, my guess is that Sony will include years 1937-1938:

1.   Grips, Grunts And Groans (1937)
2.   Dizzy Doctors (1937)
3.   3 Dumb Clucks (1937)
4.   Back To The Woods (1937)
5.   Goofs And Saddles (1937)
6.   Cash And Carry (1937) (never released on DVD)
7.   Playing The Ponies (1937)
8.   The Sitter Downers (1937)
9.   Termites Of 1938 (1938)
10.   Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
11.   Tassels In The Air (1938) (never released on DVD)
12.   Flat Foot Stooges (1938)
13.   Healthy, Wealthy And Dumb (1938)
14.   Violent Is The Word For Curly (1938)
15.   Three Missing Links (1938)
16.   Mutts To You (1938) (never released on DVD)

Now, the thing with volume 2 is that 13 out of the 16 shorts were already released on DVD before. However, some of them need to be released in better quality such as Grips, Grunts and Groans, Back To The Woods, and Wee Wee Monsieur (which was too dark on the previous DVD).

However, maybe S&C can give a message to Sony about recycling certain shorts on Volume 2, such as Dizzy Doctors, Playing The Ponies, The Sitter Downers, and Violent Is The Word For Curly because those already look great on the chromachoice DVDs. So, there's nothing further that Sony needs to do with those shorts. Hopefully, that would help cut down on their workload.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Ours is not to question why, Ours is just to go out and buy these sets as they are released and encourage other StoogeFans we know to do the same. That way we will be happy, our friends will be happy, the whole world will be happy, and firstly Sonys shareholders will be happy!

Secondly(sp?) Xraffle, I bought my set at Suncoast Video for a pricey sum of 24.99 but they had it and I was enjoying my DVD Tuesday evening. I will preorder a copy from them to make sure its there but I'm sure if this volume does well they will order more copies for their  stores. (I only saw 2 copies on the rack but they may have had more)

(Yawn) " Where's Moe, Where Did Moe Go"  (Shemp-Goof On The Roof)

I Fleecem
(early in the morning, just waking up)   

Offline locoboymakesgood

However, maybe S&C can give a message to Sony about recycling certain shorts on Volume 2, such as Dizzy Doctors, Playing The Ponies, The Sitter Downers, and Violent Is The Word For Curly because those already look great on the chromachoice DVDs. So, there's nothing further that Sony needs to do with those shorts. Hopefully, that would help cut down on their workload.
Restoration can take a long time.. my guess is they already have a decent amount of shorts already restored, waiting to press based on sales of the first volume. Especially with some of the shorts, that were in dire need of clean-up.. I don't think they'd wait around until after the first set came out. At that rate, chances are we couldn't get Volume 2 for another 6 or more months.

I could be wrong, but I can't see a company like Sony, who went through all the effort of restoring the first 19 shorts, waiting around to fix the other.

Just my two cents.

stooged and confused

X, I'm not sure why Sony didn't use the Chromachoice prints for inclusion in volume 1. Perhaps, it had something to do with the way they were digitized for the color process. I noticed that the Chromachoice prints didn't have a glossy film look to them, so perhaps they would have looked off compared to the other titles. But, I'm just assuming on my part and you know what happens when you assume...

stooged and confused

You are correct, Loco. They most likely have a backlog of titles already remastered and ready to go. Restoration does take quite a while, so I'm willing to bet they've got most or all of the Curly titles in the can and ready to go! It is my feeling that Sony was buying time with the colorized sets and a few of the themed discs while they were in the restoration process for the new volume 1 set.

I received an email from the Sony contact I know regarding sales of the new set. Keep in mind, she works in the publicity department and does not have access to all of the info we may want:

Hi Jeff,

I am not sure how sales are going.  I only track the media hits.

I’m happy to hear people are liking the set. I am not sure when the next set will b coming out. 

Have a great weekend.

xraffle

I noticed that the Chromachoice prints didn't have a glossy film look to them, so perhaps they would have looked off compared to the other titles. But, I'm just assuming on my part and you know what happens when you assume...

Now that you mention it, yeah, while they did look good, I knew something looked a bit different about the chromachoice prints. That probably explains why Sony changed it.

They most likely have a backlog of titles already remastered and ready to go.

Well, I hope that means that Volume 2 will hit stores soon. I can't wait.