Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Re: 3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936 REVIEWS

Guest · 205 · 55036

xraffle

Wow, yours got to Australia faster than x's did traveling across state lines, haha.

Funny, isn't it? It's pretty obvious that either Amazon is playing some kind of game or the Post Office has thrown my package somewhere where it's not being seen. I contacted Amazon and they claimed that everything was indeed shipped and should arrive on the Delivery Estimate: November 2-6. I swear, if it doesn't arrive by the 6th, they'll hear from me again and not in a nice way.  >:(  >:(

JH24

Funny, isn't it? It's pretty obvious that either Amazon is playing some kind of game or the Post Office has thrown my package somewhere where it's not being seen. I contacted Amazon and they claimed that everything was indeed shipped and should arrive on the Delivery Estimate: November 2-6. I swear, if it doesn't arrive by the 6th, they'll hear from me again and not in a nice way.  >:(  >:(

That was mine and it got to me today on the 2nd and i live on the other side of the world, its weird. Maybe our postal service is just quick in Australia it arrived in Melbourne just this morning and was driven on the same day.

I have watched the first 5 shorts and i have to say WOW just WOW.

xraffle

The only WOW I have to say is regarding Amazon's terrible service, which is not a good WOW. Today is November 2nd, the first day on the Deliver Estimate and still no tracking. I'm 99.9% sure that the package hasn't left the New Jersey Post Office and that's why it's taking so damn long traveling across state lines. When I contacted them yesterday, they claimed is was shipped but that is just BS. They must think I'm some sort of idiot. I feel like contacting them again, but I'm hesitant because they probably won't be of any help.

Offline locoboymakesgood

The only WOW I have to say is regarding Amazon's terrible service, which is not a good WOW. Today is November 2nd, the first day on the Deliver Estimate and still no tracking. I'm 99.9% sure that the package hasn't left the New Jersey Post Office and that's why it's taking so damn long traveling across state lines. When I contacted them yesterday, they claimed is was shipped but that is just BS. They must think I'm some sort of idiot. I feel like contacting them again, but I'm hesitant because they probably won't be of any help.

Demand a shipping a refund. Tell them with them not supplying you an adequate tracking number (meaning one that isn't showing any information, even though they're claiming it was shipped), you've become more than upset because this is a gift and if it's not here by a certain day you'll report them to the BBB or something.

Just an idea.. I've used scare tactics a couple of times and it's woiked. ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

Demand a shipping a refund. Tell them with them not supplying you an adequate tracking number (meaning one that isn't showing any information, even though they're claiming it was shipped), you've become more than upset because this is a gift and if it's not here by a certain day you'll report them to the BBB or something.

Just an idea.. I've used scare tactics a couple of times and it's woiked. ;D

When I first contacted them, they came up with a couple of excuses. The first one is that this was a USPS tracking number and they don't always update their site nor do they always scan the tracking number while the package is en route. The second one is that the Delivery Estimate doesn't end until November 6th, so they asked me to wait until the end of that day as they are assuring me that it will arrive be then.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Excuses or not, they owe you a package with accurate tracking information. I don't know, if it was me and I still hadn't gotten my Stooges set yet I'd go apeshit on those guys.

If you're getting impatient, you could always buy the set at J&H then just return the Amazon one to the J&H store still stealed to get a refund.. I personally wouldn't be able to wait any longer. ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

Excuses or not, they owe you a package with accurate tracking information. I don't know, if it was me and I still hadn't gotten my Stooges set yet I'd go apeshit on those guys.

If you're getting impatient, you could always buy the set at J&H then just return the Amazon one to the J&H store still stealed to get a refund.. I personally wouldn't be able to wait any longer. ;D

Well, USPS tracking info, unlike UPS, is only guaranteed to give Delivery Confirmation, so there is no guarantee that information will be available for the package while it is en route. Anyway, it's too late to go to J&R now. That will require some traveling. I just happened to have to go there last Tuesday because I bought a new TV and I needed new cables. Like I said, had I known J&R would have a lot of copies, I would have never ordered at Amazon.

I don't get it. When the colorized Stooged & Confoosed and Goofs on the Loose DVDs came out and I preordered it,  it came the day after its release date. With that, they can provide quality service, but with this set, they have screw around.

Anyway, I know I have been whining too much. I'm going to take a break from this site, not because I'm mad at anyone here, but because the more I see people discussing this set, the more I get impatient. So, I'll return here once my set arrives. If it arrives tomorrow, which is unlikely, then I'll return tomorrow. Anway, I hope everyone enjoys their set!

Offline Hammond Eggar

Anyway, I know I have been whining too much. I'm going to take a break from this site, not because I'm mad at anyone here, but because the more I see people discussing this set, the more I get impatient. So, I'll return here once my set arrives. If it arrives tomorrow, which is unlikely, then I'll return tomorrow. Anway, I hope everyone enjoys their set!

Well, we look forward to your return, Xraffle.  I can imagine how difficult it must be for you, knowing that others are enjoying the new Stooges set while you continue to wait for yours to arrive by mail.  That was part of the reason I wanted to actually buy the set in a store instead of ordering it.  As Tom Petty once sang, "The waiting is the hardest part."  Here's hoping you get the set ASAP.  I really feel for you right now.  Just keep in mind, Xraffle, all the joy and laughter you will experience once the DVDs do arrive.  It's the silver linning on your dark cloud right now. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
  • "Dr. Windbag, I presume?"
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
For Canadian fans, A and B Sound seems to be stocking the new Stooge DVD. The store in Edmonton had three copies.

Offline JazzBill

Tell them if you don't get it by the 5th your going to go "Postal" on them. They know what that means.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

Well, we look forward to your return, Xraffle.  I can imagine how difficult it must be for you, knowing that others are enjoying the new Stooges set while you continue to wait for yours to arrive by mail.  That was part of the reason I wanted to actually buy the set in a store instead of ordering it.  As Tom Petty once sang, "The waiting is the hardest part."  Here's hoping you get the set ASAP.  I really feel for you right now.  Just keep in mind, Xraffle, all the joy and laughter you will experience once the DVDs do arrive.  It's the silver linning on your dark cloud right now. ;)

My package hasn't arrived yet but I'm back because I finally got tracking information. The package arrived at my post office this morning, but since today is Sunday, it won't be delivered until tomorrow. So, I am now happy that tomorrow I will finally be able to watch the set and see how magnificent it really is.  [yay]

Offline Hammond Eggar

My package hasn't arrived yet but I'm back because I finally got tracking information. The package arrived at my post office this morning, but since today is Sunday, it won't be delivered until tomorrow. So, I am now happy that tomorrow I will finally be able to watch the set and see how magnificent it really is.  [yay]

That is great news, Xraffle.  I can't wait to read your thoughts on the new set.  I'm sure you'll love it just as the rest of us do. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Here are some more reviews of Sony's new Three Stooges DVD collection.

Real Movie News
http://www.realmovienews.com/dvd/reviews/1672

N:Zone
http://atnzone.com/blog2/2007/11/the_three_stooges_collection_v.html

Hollywood Bitchslap
http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/feature.php?feature=2296

88.7 KUHF, Houston Public Radio
http://www.kuhf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=prg_musicfromthemovies

NIXPIX
http://nixpixdvdmoviereviewsandmore.blogspot.com/
You have to scroll all the way down the page to find the review, but it is worth it. ;)

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
The Detroit Free Press gave it 3 of 4 stars and a good 1 paragraph review Sat. It's not online, otherwise I would post it.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

xraffle

NIXPIX
http://nixpixdvdmoviereviewsandmore.blogspot.com/
You have to scroll all the way down the page to find the review, but it is worth it. ;)

From that nixpix review, it claims that "Whoops I'm An Indian" looks the worst. I have that short on the Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb DVD and the print looks fine. So, if the print on this new set looks just as good or better, then I won't have any complaint.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Thump-

I saw two glitches...one where at the opening credits the Three Stooges logo bleeds over the fade in of the directing etc.. credits.

The second is a picture "hiccup" when Bud Jamison has a close up and is telling the Stooges to get back in their berth or he'll throw them off the train.

Is that it?

After watching the second disk an hour ago I also noticed these.  Also, when Curly loses his wig while pretending to be an Indian in "Whoops I'm An Indian" it seems to go a bit slow.  Not sure if this is on purpose or not.

Another one.  In "Movie Maniacs", when Curly tries to flip over the pancake that he's making you can see the hand toss it onto the ceiling.  You would think that they would of edited that out.  Or maybe they wanted it in there still, to keep it original?
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline skeit

ATTN Canadians:

I got my copy of the new DVDs at Music World (last one left). The folks at Futureshop and HMV had no idea what I was talking about. 

kth

ThumpTheShoes

After watching the second disk an hour ago I also noticed these.  Also, when Curly loses his wig while pretending to be an Indian in "Whoops I'm An Indian" it seems to go a bit slow.  Not sure if this is on purpose or not.

That is weird. I didn't even see that when I watched it a couple of days ago! Part of the audio is clipped there, as well. Instead of, "You like?", it sounds more like Curly says, "__u like?"

In "Movie Maniacs", when Curly tries to flip over the pancake that he's making you can see the hand toss it onto the ceiling.  You would think that they would of edited that out.  Or maybe they wanted it in there still, to keep it original?

I hope they never start making those kinds of "improvements", as was and is the case for another show that I enjoy called Doctor Who.

Some years ago, the self-proclaimed "Doctor Who Restoration Team" began remastering the programs for the BBC to release on home video. Well, just remastering wasn't enough, since those guys have taken it upon themselves to make decisions about what should have been seen and what was not meant to be seen in the original broadcasts! They don't just correct picture problems, they remove and replace low budget special effets/goofs/wires/props using digital trickery, effectively reducing much of the charm and bare-faced cheek of low-budget science fiction! New CGI effects are particularly out of place in the eps shot on b&w videotape in the late 60's.

If the "destruction team" (as I refer to them) got hold of the Stooges, you'd have stuff like the hand throwing the pancake removed, rear-projection effects would be digitally replaced, all those ducks, stuffed owls and dead bees on wires would have to go, too... Hell, they'd probably pitch-correct the audio of the fight sequence at the end of Hot Scots if they decided it just shouldn't be sped up!

I *cough* love ranting *cough*!   :D

-Th

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Reading your post ThumpTheShoes made me think about what George Lucas did to the original Star Wars trilogy...makes me sick.

I guess I'd rather have the original with it's little flaws and strings being shown, then have some updated visual effects that wouldn't seem right in an older movie.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

ThumpTheShoes

Part of the audio is clipped there, as well. Instead of, "You like?", it sounds more like Curly says, "__u like?"

I've just checked a couple of other release copies and the audio is just like that on the others, so there's no problem there!

The thing with the slowed down picture is still weird, though!

Reading your post ThumpTheShoes made me think about what George Lucas did to the original Star Wars trilogy...makes me sick.

I guess I'd rather have the original with it's little flaws and strings being shown, then have some updated visual effects that wouldn't seem right in an older movie.

Hail, Hailstone! I agree wholeheartedly! And the same with the new Stooges set. And, even with the glitches that, I suppose, we can and should expect from time to time, just because dvd is an imperfect and finicky format with all it's own problems. Hell, film ain't perfect either, is it? For its durability it sure can be delicate and fussy in its own right!

I'm just very glad no one has "Luca$ised" or "improved" these Stooges pictures.

-Th

xraffle

That's a problem with the print that was used on the new DVD. I just checked my "Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb" DVD and the slowing doesn't occur there.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Another one.  In "Movie Maniacs", when Curly tries to flip over the pancake that he's making you can see the hand toss it onto the ceiling.  You would think that they would of edited that out.  Or maybe they wanted it in there still, to keep it original?

It's funny that you mentioned this.  I own the DVD set, Sesame Street Old School.  Being born in 1972, I grew up a classic Sesame Street kid.  So, out of nostalgia, I purchased this set, which contains several early episodes in their entirety.  In the show's premier episode, we meet Bert and Ernie for the first time.  If you look closley, you can actually see the arm of Bert's pupeteer.  I couldn't believe this. :o  That said, I'm glad that no one doctored the footage.  That kind of mistake only adds to the charm of seeing this 'classic' episode.  The same can be said for the Stooges shorts, as well. ;)

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I always thought Bert had a finger up his ass!  >:D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!