Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Re: 3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936 REVIEWS

Guest · 205 · 55018

JH24

Im using this first volume as an example... Would it still be available in two-three years? Because you can still buy simpsons season 1 but that has a huge market so im wondering after they sell all of volume 1s units if they'll keep making more and more of the first volumes set?

If they'll just stop making volume 1 after the units have all sold out then i think everyones best bet is to buy each volume when they're first released and not to wait a few months because the last thing anyone wants is for any particular volume to get discontinued.

On a side question - Were all 190 shorts in B&W or were there some in color? Beacuse like everyone wanted the b&w shorts to be in b&w as they were originally watched, i think all color shorts should be in color, if any were in color of couse.

Offline busybuddy

None of the Stooges' Columbia Shorts or features were in color. Only some of the earlier shorts with Ted Healy and some later feature films. I wish there were some filmed in color though. If Popeye could do it why not the Stooges?
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline locoboymakesgood

I gotta think that at least one of those places will have it in stock next Tuesday.  You may also want to try Circuit City, Target, Borders or Barnes & Noble.  The only problem with the last three, though, is that they are usually pricier than places such as Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-Mart.  Some shopping malls have a store called Suncoast, which specializes in DVDs and entertainment merchandise.  That might be another possible option.  That said, if you have a combination of any of these stores in your town, I don't think you'll have a problem obtaining a copy of the Stooges DVD set.  Happy shopping! [pie]

Oh, count me among the "impatient patients" around here.  Even though we're less than a week away from the release date, it seems the wait is even harder. :-\
Yeah, but if it turns out any of the B&M stores are more expensive than online (which Barnes & Noble, Borders, and Suncoast will be) then I'll just order it online.

I'm sure BB will have atleast one copy in. That's where I got most of my older Stooges DVDs the day they were released.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

stooged and confused

I'm sure if the set sells well (and online indications show that it is), Sony will keep it as an active catalog item for a long time. Look at how long they've kept some of the older DVD titles in the pipeline. "Curly Classics" has been around for 9 years. Several of the THEMED discs have been available for years as well.

xraffle

Thanks for posting the link! The review says that "Woman Haters" is the best in quality. So, I guess it's safe to say that the print used on this set is much better that the print used on the Curly Classics DVD.

xraffle

Stooged & Confused,

I have 2 questions for you regarding "Three Little Beers."

1) I'm not sure if you saw this short on the previous DVD release, Three Smart Saps, but if you did, I have a question. Is the print used on this new set, better, worse, or just as good as the print used on the Three Smart Saps DVD?

2) On the new set, were there any flash frames in that short? Because there were two of them on the Three Smart Saps DVD. The first one occured when the stooges were driving away from the golf place. The second one occured when Moe slapped Curly at the end when they were stuck in the wet cement.

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

stooged and confused

Xraffle:

The print used for Three Little Beers on the new set is far superior to the one used on the Three Smart Saps DVD. All of the problems that were fixable have been corrected. I know you will be very happy with the restoration on this short.

Actually, I don't fully agree with the review that stated Woman Haters was the best looking of all 19 titles. It is one of the best, but several shorts look just as good and all 19 titles are vastly superior to anything released prior.

JH24

I just noticed its Monday morning in America and the set will be released in 24 hours.

I'll be getting mine in about 6 days because i live in Australia and i got the quickest shipping on Amazon, first time that has occured.

xraffle

Xraffle:

The print used for Three Little Beers on the new set is far superior to the one used on the Three Smart Saps DVD. All of the problems that were fixable have been corrected. I know you will be very happy with the restoration on this short.

Actually, I don't fully agree with the review that stated Woman Haters was the best looking of all 19 titles. It is one of the best, but several shorts look just as good and all 19 titles are vastly superior to anything released prior.

Thank you so much. You get a Karma point!

Now, tomorrow is the day I will be shopping for the DVD set. I'm crossing my fingers that the store I'm going to will have the DVD.

Offline Beatle Bob

Hi!

Newbie to this great site and board! Big fan since I was a kid and of course I'm estatic about the new release out tomorrow. In fact my source came thru for me with a set today and can't wait to start viewing the shorts tonight.

One bit of disappointing and stupid news in regards to Columbia.... I was just in my local FYE in Manhattan and the old stock DVDs (the one's not remastered such as "Curly's Classics", etc) are now being sold in tins with 3 DVDS each for $26.99. What's the point of this? Why don't they just withdraw the old stock? They are displayed prominently and now will compete with the new remastered 2 DVD set! Now when Columbia claims sales weren't too good on this first volume, they'll know why as they're shooting themselves in the foot with this!

Keep up the great work on this site and appreciate the knowledge and information from the other fans on this board.

Regards,
Beatle Bob
 [biggrin]

Offline Laughing Gravy

Aren't those things in the tin the "unofficial" public domain releases? That was my impression. However, Costco DOES have giant Stooge boxes, about $100, with the previous Columbia releases, which I guess are being "burned off".

Offline Beatle Bob

Aren't those things in the tin the "unofficial" public domain releases? That was my impression. However, Costco DOES have giant Stooge boxes, about $100, with the previous Columbia releases, which I guess are being "burned off".

Hi LG!

Nope....these are official Colubmia tins! I checked the back of the tins. Colubmia logo and copyright 2007.... and whined to the mgr of the FYE. He can't believe it either, but there they were. He said these companies like to "tin" everything for xmas! It's really going to cut into their sales for the remastered set.

Regards,
Beatle Bob
:)

Offline Justin T

My review, including the "lost liner notes", is up now at www.inthebalcony.com/shortswww.inthebalcony.com/shorts. Enjoy (I hope)!

That was a very nice review, esp enjoyed the liner notes in it. Great job!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I should receive it via UPS on 10/31 (free shipping).

Woo Hoo!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

xraffle

I should receive it via UPS on 10/31 (free shipping).

Woo Hoo!

James

??? That's odd. I guess Amazon changed things around now with pre-orders. It used to be that they will not ship your item until the release date. I guess from now on, I'll order from there.

Offline locoboymakesgood

??? That's odd. I guess Amazon changed things around now with pre-orders. It used to be that they will not ship your item until the release date. I guess from now on, I'll order from there.

Ya better, because no retail outlet will have this tomorrow. Not even Best Buy (I replied in the thread in the VHS/DVD section).

xraffle

My review, including the "lost liner notes", is up now at www.inthebalcony.com/shortswww.inthebalcony.com/shorts. Enjoy (I hope)!

Excellent review, LG!! Thanks for providing the screen shots as well. I definitely like the way "A Pain In the Pullman" looks. You deserve a Karma point.

xraffle

Ya better, because no retail outlet will have this tomorrow. Not even Best Buy (I replied in the thread in the VHS/DVD section).

Like I said, there is very good movie/music/electronic non-chain store located here in New York City called J&R. People here who are from New York should know this place as it's very popular. They usually carry DVDs that you can't find at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc... I will check there tomorrow and if I don't find it there, I will have to order from Amazon. The problem is, I have to find another item to order it with in order to qualify for Free Shipping. And I will not order it with the Looney Tunes Golden Collection. The price is too high.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Like I said, there is very good movie/music/electronic non-chain store located here in New York City called J&R. People here who are from New York should know this place as it's very popular. They usually carry DVDs that you can't find at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc... I will check there tomorrow and if I don't find it there, I will have to order from Amazon. The problem is, I have to find another item to order it with in order to qualify for Free Shipping.

D'oh! HOW COULD I FORGET! You reminded me to check Fry's, which is a California-based electronics store.. they have a lot of rare stuff there in terms older movies and such. I guarantee they'll have it. Good thinkin' x!

xraffle

I actually gave in and ordered it just now at Amazon. I can't risk running all over town tomorrow trying to find this DVD. Even if I do find it, chances are it will cost more (especially when I have to pay even extra for train fare just to commute to the store). I paid $2.98 for shipping, so my order came out to a total of $19.97. It will ship tomorrow so I should be receiving it soon. I even ordered it through this site so Rob will get a little commission.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I actually gave in and ordered it just now at Amazon. I can't risk running all over town tomorrow trying to find this DVD. Even if I do find it, chances are it will cost more (especially when I have to pay even extra for train fare just to commute to the store). I paid $2.98 for shipping, so my order came out to a total of $19.97. It will ship tomorrow so I should be receiving it soon. I even ordered it through this site so Rob will get a little commission.
I called up Fry's and they'll have "several copies" in tomorrow; I have them holding one for me now. It's $19.99 which is finem considering with Amazon it'd be about the same price with shipping.

I can't wait!

Offline Justin T

That's why I ordered from Amazon last Thursday, I didnt want to run around my area hoping to find it. Between the 16.99 price (the cheapest online
from what i've seen) and the fact I still have FREE 2 day Shipping till December I just said "what the hell" and used Amazon.

Hmm, My order said it would ship tomorrow and arrive on Thursday. I'll have to check and see if mine is shipping early like Jrvass.

UPDATE: I checked my e-mail, and Amazon shipped my order today also, so I should get my copy on the 31st or Nov 1st (Thursday)
depending on how quick UPS moves.

Looks like they want to get this out to the fans ASAP! Way to go Amazon.com.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"