Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Re: 3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936 REVIEWS

Guest · 205 · 53769

xraffle

I don't get it. The older "themed" and "colorized" DVDs were crap and many stores carried it. Now, finally, Sony does the right thing and releases what all of us fans have been dreaming of and no store would carry it. That's unbelievable!! This world gets stranger everyday.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
They probably feel they got burned by the colorized shorts, which is NOT what the fans wanted and now that the right stuff is available they are hesitant to order them. I'll order it thru Amazon if I can't find it tomorrow but I STILL love to see several copies and pick up my personal one from the stack.

Robin

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hammond Eggar

They probably feel they got burned by the colorized shorts, which is NOT what the fans wanted and now that the right stuff is available they are hesitant to order them. I'll order it thru Amazon if I can't find it tomorrow but I STILL love to see several copies and pick up my personal one from the stack.

Robin

I'm with you, IFleecem.  My plan all along has been to waith until the release date and see if any stores are carrying it.  That's why I plan to get up early tomorrow.  I want to have time to hit the stores before going into work at 12 noon.  If no stores have it, then I will certainly have order it on-line.  If I go the Amazon route, then I can link from this site and help out Dunrobin.  That's a definite plus.  Then again,  one of the other on-line services was offering a deal where you could order the set and get another Stooges DVD for only $4.99.  While I have no use for the themed discs, I wouldn't mind adding more of the Curly-Joe feature films to my collection.  The only problem is that now I can't remember which site had the offer.  I've rechecked the DVD Empire, Deep Discount, Target and Walmart sites, but no luck.  Oh, well.  If I have to order, I guess I'll do the right thing, and link to Amazon through this site just to help out Dunrobin.  Hopefully, though, I'll luck out tomorrow morning and Best Buy or the nearby Wal-Mart Super Center will actually stock a copy. [pie]

***QUESTION***

A great many of the Wal-Marts are open 24-hours a day.  Let's say that Wal-Mart plans to stock the Stooges DVD set on October 30th.  Would they begin stocking it at midnight, or do the stores have to wait several hours so not to have an unfair advantage over places such as Target, Best Buy and Borders?  My dad seems to think that Wal-Mart could start selling new releases at midnight.  You do occasionally see places such as Best Buy open at midnight to sell items such as the latest Harry Potter book, Madden '08 or The Beatles Anthology 1.  So, if by some odd chance Wal-Mart actually sells the new Stooges set, do you think it will hit the shelves at midnight?  It's just a thought. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
I think if the Stooges set was heralded as a long awaited limited edition set then you might find them stocking it early there, But I've gone to look for new releases during the afternoon on release day and things still are not stocked yet!   Sometimes you have to ask if they stock it all all.

I wanted the new Paul McCartney cd and it came out in a deluxe edition and a regular one. Best Buy only stocked the regular issue one. Not thinking that most people will pay a few bucks extra for the deluxe copy. Hopefully they will have at least a few of the sets but I just visited their website and it states that it will be available later in stores and you can only order it from their site.

A local music/dvd store has it listed for a heavy $24.96 but If I can pick it up tomorrow I'll pay the fare.  Geeze 24.99 list price. Wow on sale for 24.96 can you spare the 3 three cents (well I raised my price-Curly) Good luck with your search. Try a local place like mine if you have one you may pay more but at least you'll be laughing tommorrow night.

Robin 

Robin

Offline Hammond Eggar

I think if the Stooges set was heralded as a long awaited limited edition set then you might find them stocking it early there, But I've gone to look for new releases during the afternoon on release day and things still are not stocked yet!   Sometimes you have to ask if they stock it all all.

I wanted the new Paul McCartney cd and it came out in a deluxe edition and a regular one. Best Buy only stocked the regular issue one. Not thinking that most people will pay a few bucks extra for the deluxe copy. Hopefully they will have at least a few of the sets but I just visited their website and it states that it will be available later in stores and you can only order it from their site.

A local music/dvd store has it listed for a heavy $24.96 but If I can pick it up tomorrow I'll pay the fare.  Geeze 24.99 list price. Wow on sale for 24.96 can you spare the 3 three cents (well I raised my price-Curly) Good luck with your search. Try a local place like mine if you have one you may pay more but at least you'll be laughing tommorrow night.

Robin 

Robin

Well, San Antonio only seems to have major chains here.  Of course, we have all the usual suspects such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, Target, Borders, Barnes & Noble and Suncoast.  Wal-Mart, BB and CC are near my apartment, so I'll check there in the morning.  Austin, which is just over an hours drive from here, has an incredible music/video store called Waterloo Records.  They have an incredible selection and variety of new and older titles relating to DVDs, CDs and even vinyl.  Yet, when I checked their on-line site, there was no listing for this new collection.  What a drag! >:(  Oh, well.  I'll stick with my original plan.  If nothing else, before I go to bed tomorrow night, I will have placed an order, through this site, on Amazon. :-\

I know someone's already asked a variation of the following question, but it needs to be reasked.  How does Sony plan on selling this set, and making any money, if it won't make it easily available to consumers.  This is truely a headscratcher? ???
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline locoboymakesgood

I worked overnights at Wal-Mart. On new release Tuesday we'd put the movies out a little before midnight on release day.

However Hammond, I hope your Wal-Mart is close because all sources are looking like they're not going to have it.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

JH24

Amazon.com sales rank is #30 and Amazon.ca (canada) is #37.  8)

JH24

I know alot of people who havent yet ordered their set on Amazon will be disappointed because it has gone upto $19.99.

Offline Hammond Eggar

***GOOD NEWS***

Yes, indeed, I have good news for Stooges fans this morning.  First, let me wish everyone a HAPPY STOOGES DVD DAY!!!  I can confirm that, at least, two major chains are stocking Sony's new Stooges DVD set.  I live in San Antonio, Texas.  This morning, shortly after 9AM, I visited a Wal-Mart Super Center.  As I browsed the shelves stocked with the newest releases, I was unable to find the Stooges.  I preceeded to inquire about it and was told by a sales clerk that they had a space for it.  He then checked on the number of copies in stock.  They had ordered five copies.  Unfortunately, they had so many boxes to go through, that he was unable to locate a copy for me.

One aside about Wal-Mart.  Nowadays, they are not allowed to start stocking and displaying new releases until 7AM on release day.  That's good to know.

To make a long story short.  I visited a Target, which wasn't stocking it.  Then I visited a Best Buy, which also wasn't stocking it.  After asking a sales clerk about the Stooges DVD set, I was informed that some Best Buys are stocking it, but only two copies.  I immediately made my way to another Best Buy, where I did, indeed, locate two copies.  So, as of, roughly, 10:30AM, I am the proud owner of a copy of the Sony DVD set, The Three Stooges Collection, Volume 1 (1934-1936).  I won't be able to watch any of it until this evening, seeing as I work from noon until 6PM.  That said, I can breathe easier knowing I have a copy I can look forward to viewing.  I couldn't be happier! ;D

Here are two special pies for those at Wal-Mart and Best Buy for actually stocking the Stooges DVDs.  Thank you.

Best Buy [pie]
Wal-Mart [pie]

Offline busybuddy

I bought my set first thing this morning at Wal-Mart! I was really surprised they had it. I stopped at Meijer first but either they didn't have it on the shelves yet or they won't be carrying it at all. I can't watch it yet because I have class until 2, but I am just happy I found it. There is hope for us who didn't pre-order it on Amazon!
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Fantastic news, Hammond! Do you know what the price was at Walley World?

stooged and confused

According to Best Buy's website, it looks like "most stores" will carry the new DVD set.

As you all get your copy and view it, I will look forward to being quiet and hearing what all of you think. I can't see where there would be anything to complain about...great transfers...great price!

Happy viewing to you all!

stooged and confused

Also, the set is selling very well on Amazon..it was #22 this morning! I'm sure Sony will continue with the series as long as the sets have this type of response from the market place.

Offline busybuddy

My set at Wal-Mart was $19.99.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Justin T

My set at Wal-Mart was $19.99.

Thats a pretty good price, since the retail price is $24.99.

Congrats to Hammond and busybuddy for finding their copies at Wall Mart today and
a good price to boot!

The sales rank on Amazon is awesome, the set looks to be a big seller for Sony, which means
we should be getting more ASAP hopefully

Yeah, I'm glad I pre-ordered my set from Amazon a few days ago when it was just $16.99.
To those who waited till the last minute, thats a stinker.
 [pie]
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Well I believe I've read here that if these met Sony's expectations, they'd be releasing a set every 2 months of a 3-year period... that would mean that an announcement would have to come soon on their end, even though Stooged's contact said it's just on the table.

I wonder how all of this will pan out in the end?

xraffle

D'oh! HOW COULD I FORGET! You reminded me to check Fry's, which is a California-based electronics store.. they have a lot of rare stuff there in terms older movies and such. I guarantee they'll have it. Good thinkin' x!

Turns out, I had to go to J&R anyway to buy some cables for my new TV set and they had tons of copies of this DVD set for $19.99. So, for those of you who live in New York, that's the place to go to. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy it since I already ordered it yesterday at Amazon due to fear that I won't be able to find it in stores. I guess I overreacted. Oh well! My Amazon order shipped today and will arrive in a few days. In the meantime, I'm going to sit in agony as I wait for the DVD to arrive.

Offline Larry Larry

FYE was completly sold out by 10:30 am.  However, they did have about 24,000 copies of the old, single discs that everyone hates.  Why?  ???
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Justin T

I did some Googling and found some reviews of the new DVD set online.

http://www.collider.com/dvd/reviews/article.asp/aid/5899/tcid/3

HTF DVD Review:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=264016

The Serious Comedy Site:

http://www.theseriouscomedysite.com/showreview.php?r_id=1083

Real Movie News:

http://www.realmovienews.com/dvd/reviews/1672

- From reading these reviews, we have much to be happy about. This set is a winner.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
My Best Buy had only one copy (I was there around 1 PM).  I guess someone else purchased the other one.  Wal-Mart also had a few (around 4).

Since I'll be busy watching Horror movies today and tomorrow (Halloween), I can watch this set starting on Thursday.  I'm just happy to have this set in my hands.   8)

I will be switching them to larger DVD cases for each disk and reprinting the insert.  I hate the smaller plastic cases, since when you open them up they tend to bend and the disk might pop off when you don't want it to.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
  • "Dr. Windbag, I presume?"
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
No sign of the new collection in either Best Buy, or Future Shop here in Alberta. I'll try a couple other places tomorrow, and if no success, I guess I'll order it from Amazon Canada.

Curley91

Damn! 

I must have been at Best Buy a little too late.  I went there earlier this evening (about 5:00ish,) and they were fresh out. 

Then, I traveled to Sam's Club.  I thought for sure they would have it, because they have always carried the Stooges DVDs before.  Even the last 2 colorized releases! 

I didn't get a chance to hit Wally World yet (they're probably CLOSED now!)  However, I will definetly get out there tomorrow!

Also, I called Borders and they said that the set can be ordered.  It will take about a week to get to the store.  However, it will cost a whopping $24.99!! 

And, in honor of my 100th post, another pie takes flight!!   [pie]

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
After striking out at Wal Mart, Best Buy (2 locations) last of which had 2 copies and held it for me but it turned out of be the usual public domain shorts Target which has it for 16.96 on its website, a local DVD/music store which also had it on their website but not in store for 24.96 (at this point who cares about price)

Finally found the set at Suncoast video (2 copies) @ 24.99 high but right there and available.

Its Stooge night tonight at my place

I Fleecem

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Probably 19.96 at Wal Mart. Their website gives that price and they seem to love 96's there.
I bought mine at Suncoast Video they had it for 24.99 which is high but at least  they had it.
WalMarts, Best Buys (although said to have the required 2 copies could not be located) Target, KMart etc etc. Paid more but its in hand and ready to view.

I Fleecem