Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shorts Containing Stooge Stand- Ins

· 17 · 7658

CURLYFAN

How many shorts/episodes have a stooge stand-in ??

Hot Stuff has a Shemp stand-in, in the scene when the Stooges are wearing the false beard and mustaches and when the stand in said the word "Right" it was not Shemps voice.

There was another short (can't recall the name right now) where the Stooges are in a box car and they started running and knocked over a baby in a baby carrage,and I am sure that  all three are stooge stand ins.

Can anyone think of anymore  ???

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
How many shorts/episodes have a stooge stand-in ??

Hot Stuff has a Shemp stand-in, in the scene when the Stooges are wearing the false beard and mustaches and when the stand in said the word "Right" it was not Shemps voice.

There was another short (can't recall the name right now) where the Stooges are in a box car and they started running and knocked over a baby in a baby carrage,and I am sure that  all three are stooge stand ins.

Can anyone think of anymore  ???

That's an interesting question.  I did a search in the database for all the episodes where we have a cast member credited as a "Stand-In" or "Double" and came up with these 17 episodes:

• HORSES' COLLARS
  • PARDON MY SCOTCH
  • THREE LOAN WOLVES
  • SHIVERING SHERLOCKS
  • FIDDLER'S THREE
  • HUGS AND MUGS
  • DON'T THROW THAT KNIFE
  • TOOTH WILL OUT, THE
  • PEST MAN WINS, THE
  • LISTEN, JUDGE
  • HE COOKED HIS GOOSE
  • TRICKY DICKS
  • SPOOKS
  • HUSBANDS BEWARE
  • RUMPUS IN THE HAREM
  • SCHEMING SCHEMERS
  • COMMOTION ON THE OCEAN
  • STUDIO STOOPS

The list is undoubtedly incomplete,as we don't have all of the credits in yet, and the stand-ins weren't necessarily always given credit.  For example, the episode you're thinking of, Grips, Grunts and Groans, isn't in the list.  Gary, Brent - is there more info on this in the Three Stooges Journal?

Offline Robbie883

I know of two off the top of my head. The first one is in Disorder in the Court when Curly sits down on the stand and the chair falls backward. I had to see the short in color first before I realized it was a double. It was quite obvous the guy that was falling wasnt falling when I paused to look. Also, in Three Little Beers when they are running after the barrels of beer down the inclined street, you can obvously tell that those are not the stooges.

Pilsner Panther

I know of two off the top of my head. The first one is in Disorder in the Court when Curly sits down on the stand and the chair falls backward. I had to see the short in color first before I realized it was a double. It was quite obvous the guy that was falling wasnt falling when I paused to look. Also, in Three Little Beers when they are running after the barrels of beer down the inclined street, you can obvously tell that those are not the stooges.

The "Disorder In The Court" stand-in is on the Stooge Goofs list here, and I've always wondered why a stand-in was used for Curly in that particular scene, when Curly did some much more dangerous stunts in other shorts. For example, the scene in "An Ache In Every Stake" where Moe swings an axe at Curly's head and Curly ducks just in time to miss it always makes my hair stand on end; watch what the axe does to the wagon— it's no rubber prop. Of course, Moe had an incredible sense of timing, so I guess it wasn't really that dangerous for Curly. Still, I wouldn't have volunteered for Curly's part there!

::)

Falling backwards out of a chair seems much safer!

Dog Hambone

I understand there were 4 shorts made using a Shemp stand-in after Shemp had his heart attack. Joe Palma was the stand-in according to "The Three Stooges Scrapbook". He looked a little like Shemp from the rear, I suppose, with the way they combed his hair, but he was clearly too tall. You can see him stooping to look shorter. And he generally didn't talk; the few times that he did, he didn't sound anything like Shemp. I recall Palma saying, "Whoa, Yike!" in Rumpus in a Harem and "eep eep eep eep" (or however you spell it) in another one (was it the remake of the one where Professor Snead invents the super rocket fuel? I don't recall the title).

Dog Hambone

Curlyfan:
I watched Grips, Grunts & Groans since my last posting. Near the beginning, when they are running away from the railroad cops (or whatever those guys were), they are running up the street toward the camera, then turn left in front of the gym, & bowl over the baby carriage (which seems to me to be in poor taste, but that's another topic for another day). Those 3 guys running are NOT our boys. I noticed the Larry stunt double in particular.

I'm not sure why they used stunt doubles to fall on a sidewalk (although I personally would have!), since Moe & Larry got tackled on a sidewalk in Slippery Silks, & Moe & Larry also tripped over a hose & fell onto a sidewalk in Mutts To You (both of which were filmed after Grips, Grunts & Groans), & there were others I'm sure.   

Dog Hambone

I spotted a stunt double for Curley in the short, "In the Sweet Pie & Pie". I checked the filmography to see if this was previously noted, & the list above, but it's not there. It looks like the Curley stunt double in "Disorder in the Court" with the dark skull cap. It is in the scene where they rip up of section of the hardwood floor to make triple decker bunkbeds. As usual, Curley ends up on top. He can't get up there, so he stacks tables & chairs, climbs up, & jumps on the top bunk. I don't need to tell anyone what happens next. The fellow that does the climbing & jumping onto the top bunk is the stunt double. (Also, it looks like there are dummy stunt doubles in the middle & lower bunks when the beds collapse).     

Offline goofontheroof

What about in Even As IOU?

the bit where Curly is in the ground and the car bonks him on the back of the head?.. a head full of hair as well  :D

Offline JazzBill

In the short, "So Long Mr. Chumps". There is a stand in for Curly when he is supposed to be going through the empty window frame.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline JazzBill

In the short "Who Done It?" There is a stunt double mixed in with the real Shemp, in the bit when Shemp is flopping around after being poisoned by Christine  McIntyre. It was spliced together very well, but  you can tell it's not Shemp doing all those flips.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Danl57

Hello Stooge Fans,
I think that the most obvious stunt double was in "If a Body Meets a Body".  The Stooges were running downstairs and fall.  You can tell the Curly stunt double is a man who is much lighter wearing a skin head wig.  Also in "Muscle Up a Litte Closer"  You can tell that it is not Tiny Ray who is throwing Elmo Drake around.  It is man who is wearing similar clothes but is much lighter than Tiny.
Moe: "This is man's job"
Larry: "Where will we find one?"
BOP!!!!!!!!!!!
Take Care God Bless and Keep Watching
Danl57

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Another truly obvious stunt double is in Hoi Polloi.  When the "Stooges" jump out through the windows at the end of the dancing sequence, watch for the 6 ft. Larry!   ;D

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Yet another obvious stand-in occurs in the film Swing Parade of 1946 where Moe, Larry and Curly are sleeping on top of the grand piano, and they all roll over at once, sending Curly crashing off the top of the piano down over the keyboard and onto the piano bench. It looks like the very SAME fake-looking "Curly-bald" headwig that was worn by the stunt double who performs the "falling backwards off the witness stand" in Disorder in the Court. If so, the wig is now ten years old and still in obvious service to the Stooge prop department.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Wilson7777

Actually, as I was watching a bunch of episodes I noticed that Moe and Larry especially, did a lot of their own stunts.  Like in Pardon My Scotch when Moe slips off the table after Curly cuts it.  He actually broke a few ribs doing that. 

Another time in Three Little Pigskins, when Curly jumps in the dumbwaiter and rides it down really fast, he broke his leg. 

So, they didn't use doubles all the time.
===========
Wilson7777

Let's not forget all the stand-ins (two per Stooge, for a total of six) in A MERRY MIX UP.  If you look closely when they start leaving the tavern, you can see the faces of a couple of them.

You can also see the face of Moe's double in HOOFS AND GOOFS in a couple of places (particularly at the end when the real Moe is in drag).
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the DeRita-era feature film, Snow White and the Three Stooges.  There's a scene in which we see "the boys" ice skating.  Of course, it's pretty obvious, especially to the trained eye, that it's actually three stand-ins.  I was reminded of this today at work.  I work part-time for Hollywood Video, and on occasion we run family-friendly films in the store.  Today I put on a VHS copy of Snow White and the Three Stooges.  One Friday evening, about a week ago, I ran a VHS copy of The Three Stooges Meet Hercules, as well.  :D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

I just thought of another example.  The Joe Besser short, Hoofs and Goofs, features a stand-in for Moe.  As you may recall, Joe has a dream that their sister Birdie has died and is reincarnated as a horse.  At the very end of the short, he awakens to find that Birdie is still alive.  Birdie, of course, was portrayed by Moe.  As Birdie (Moe) leaves the kitchen and enters the living room, we see the backs of "Moe," Larry and Joe.  Of course, if you look closely, it's pretty obvious that it's not Moe, but actually a stand-in. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)