Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Old Columbia Stooge DVD's price reduction?

Offline Justin T

I work for the grocery store chain Wegmans, here in New York State. and today as I was leaving work
I passed by the DVD rack and happend to notice in the $9.99 price rack there was the
Healthy Wealthy and Dumb DVD, maked as a "new arrival", priced at $8.99!

Talk about a major price drop! It was the only Columbia Stooge DVD there but I was suprised to see
it.

I figured the old DVD's would drop in price with the upcoming release of The Three Stooges Collection
sets, but I was still suprised to see it at such a low price selling in my local grocery store!

Has anyone else seen anything like this? I havent checked Amazon to see the prices for the old DVD's
yet to see if they have changed.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

I work for the grocery store chain Wegmans, here in New York State. and today as I was leaving work
I passed by the DVD rack and happend to notice in the $9.99 price rack there was the
Healthy Wealthy and Dumb DVD, maked as a "new arrival", priced at $8.99!
I worked at Wegmans for 2 long terrible years. All I know is that they don't get DVDs from the actual studios, they tend to get them from liquidation firms - meaning that the old Sony discs must be getting pulled from retail shelves and put into discount stores. I realize Wegmans is a grocery store, but that's how they handle their releases.

"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

That means that the Columbia DVD's will actually be reasonably priced.  But it's too late.  I'll never buy those.  These new sets coming out will be head and shoulders above those.  If they had never released any of those, and let the fans know that they're restoring all of the shorts, they would have done better.

Offline falsealarms

Many that were 17.99 at Amazon are now 12.99. They were like 14.11 at dvdempire.com but now are in the 11 dollar range. Deepdiscount.com also has many in the 11 dollar range, with one as low as 9.58. Might be a good time to scoop up the feature films at those prices. Have Rocket, Will Travel needs to get released, though.

Offline Justin T

Many that were 17.99 at Amazon are now 12.99. They were like 14.11 at dvdempire.com but now are in the 11 dollar range. Deepdiscount.com also has many in the 11 dollar range, with one as low as 9.58. Might be a good time to scoop up the feature films at those prices. Have Rocket, Will Travel needs to get released, though.

Good point Falsealarms, if their dropping the price on the old short collections then the features should be going down too.

Yeah, I was always curious as to why they released Stop! Look! and Laugh! and all the Curly Joe movies except for
Have Rocket, Will Travel. Did they just never get around to it, or did they just not give a damn?
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

Good point Falsealarms, if their dropping the price on the old short collections then the features should be going down too.

Yeah, I was always curious as to why they released Stop! Look! and Laugh! and all the Curly Joe movies except for
Have Rocket, Will Travel. Did they just never get around to it, or did they just not give a damn?

Features have gone down from what I've seen.

xraffle

I don't understand either. If Sony was going to omit one film, the should have left out Stop! Look! and Laugh! and released Have Rock Will Travel instead. My guess is that the Curly Joe films weren't selling well, so they decided not to finish it.

Offline falsealarms

I don't understand either. If Sony was going to omit one film, the should have left out Stop! Look! and Laugh! and released Have Rock Will Travel instead. My guess is that the Curly Joe films weren't selling well, so they decided not to finish it.

Nobody ever cared about S, L & L ... easily the worst Stooges "film" of all-time, including Kooks Tour. Not even close. Have Rocket was the first one made, so beyond all else, it should have been the first out released.

ThumpTheShoes

Nobody ever cared about S, L & L ... easily the worst Stooges "film" of all-time, including Kooks Tour. Not even close. Have Rocket was the first one made, so beyond all else, it should have been the first out released.

But don't forget, S, L & L has the "original" (as one might say) Curly, and that's important from a marketing standpoint.

-Th