Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Speculation/Suggestions for bonus features for upcoming DVD release. . .

Offline Hammond Eggar

As I can tell by the posts I've read so far, many of you seem pretty excited by the news about the new Three Stooges DVD set with the shorts in chronological order.  No word has been made on the topic of BONUS FEATURES yet.  That's why I've started this thread.  I'm curious to read your thoughts on what may be included.  I'd also love to read about what you would like to see included as bonuses.  Here are some of my thoughts.

I enjoyed reading in The Three Stooges Journal about the color footage of the Stooges that was discovered recently.  The footage shows the boys on the set of such shorts as "Back From the Front, "Uncivil Warbirds" and "Three Little Pirates."  When Sony finally gets around to releasing DVDs with these titles, it would be great if they could include this newly-discovered footage, as well.  They could also include comments, interviews and/or commentary from people such as Joan and Paul (Moe's kids), Gary Lassin, Leonard Maltin (film critic and Stooges fan) or even notable Stooges fans such as Gary Owens (radio/TV personality of "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" fame).  I also dig the idea of including solo shorts as bonuses, too.  It would be nice to see shorts such as "Jailbirds of Paradise" and "Roast Beef and Movies" included.  That said, since both are MGM shorts, it's highly unlikely that would happen.  I don't know if Sony would consider adding solo Shemp, Besser or DeRita shorts on a DVD set that only includes Curly titles, but I'd have no problem with that.

I also strongly hope that Sony sees the project all the way through to the Shemp and Joe years.  I'd also like to see them dip into the Columbia vaults and give us gems such as the feature film "Rockin' in the Rockies."  What are your thoughts?  Do you think there will be any bonus material on the first set?  If so, what will it be, and what would you want that material to be?
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

stooged and confused

If you've been away for awhile Hammond Eggar, you may want to check out the board discussing the new DVD set. There has been quite a bit of information posted regarding it, including the fact that a contact I have at Sony confirmed that there will be NO bonus features(at least on the first volume). There were some being produced, but I suspect that they are holding them for the Shemp and Joe sets to help boost sales as the Curly sets will sell strong even without the added material. A bio on each Stooge was to be implemented, as well as pop up video style Stooge trivia, interviews with leading ladies at a recent convention were a few that Sony confirmed to me.

Check out the events/TV board to read more about all of this.

ThumpTheShoes

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
TARDIS?  ???

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

ThumpTheShoes

TARDIS?  ???

James

It's a time machine thingy, and a cheap "Doctor Who" reference.

And, lately, the preferred mode of travel for Gallifrey's most famous resident...

Offline locoboymakesgood

You'd have to fire up the TARDIS to snag that one!
I guess I'm one of the only people who got that one, haha.

Anyway Hammond, JOP has been lost for years. Look at the info on the site here for it.

FYI - there's also a thread about this about 2 posts down. ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Anyway Hammond, JOP has been lost for years. Look at the info on the site here for it.

Thanks for the reminder.  I had forgotten that it was a lost film.  Then again, Soup to Nuts was a lost film at one time.  So, I guess anything is possible.  As for no bonus features being included on the first DVD volume, it's unfortunate.  At the least, I would enjoy commentary from Moe's daughter Joan.  She was, after all, a bit player in Pop Goes the Easel.  I can understand saving some bonus material for future releases, but certainly not all of it.  With some of the supporting players still alive, I hope future DVD sets include interviews and commentary with them.  For example, it would be great to hear Beverly Warren provide commentary for Three Loan Wolves when they finally get around to issuing that short.  It's just a thought. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)