Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rare Moe photo circa 1973

Offline kinderscenen

That period, even though (relatively) recent, has to be the least reported upon by various biographers.  Yes, we know that Moe and Larry made the talk show/school rounds, but what about Moe's efforts to get the Stooges working again?  I don't believe for a minute that once January 9, 1970 rolled around, he immediately put all thoughts of the Stooges continuing to rest.  Unfortunately, that's the feeling I get when I read his biography as well as Larry's.  I mean, I could see Larry not mentioning it, but Moe?!  The picture itself tells a thousand words--why continue with the hair coloring if you're not at least considering performing again? (To bring this back around to topic!  :D)

Also, he looks surprisingly good here--it's a candid (unprofessional) shot, I'm assuming, and he looks better than he did in pictures from 10 years earlier.
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Also notice how black his hair is here. On the Mike Douglas shows it is all gray.
Says 73 in the pic but wonder when this picture was taken for sure.
Still nice to see a new picture of Moe anyway.

I Fleecem

Offline locoboymakesgood

Also notice how black his hair is here. On the Mike Douglas shows it is all gray.
Says 73 in the pic but wonder when this picture was taken for sure.
Still nice to see a new picture of Moe anyway.

I Fleecem

His hair is dyed.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

It seems like Moe didn't even talk about that period (1970-1975) in his autobiography "Moe Howard & The Three Stooges."  It just sort of jumps from "Kook's Tour" to Moe's solo appearances and then his death.  It makes you wonder what was happening behind the scenes.  I'm glad I read the thread on Emil Sitka.  I thought for years that he was the reason the Stooges didn't continue.  I didn't know that Moe put Emil up to asking those questions at the meeting they had.  It would have been interesting to have one more 20 minute Stooge short with Moe, Emil and Curly-Joe.  I guess it was just not meant to be.  Nice pic of Moe, though.